Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

594 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Sep 15, 2009 12:23 PM by Long Run Nick RSS
Hopeisarunner Amateur 16 posts since
Sep 15, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 15, 2009 9:11 AM

new runner just finished a 10 K

Hello all

I am 51 years old and started running last spring...I jumped right in and did a 12 K in June and just did a 10 K last weekend....I usually run on the track at the YMCA and find whenI run in the races outside on the pavement it is a whole other world!!!  I have been doing a lot of crunches and found that seemed to help get me up the hills... I am up to 18 miles a week and feel great....the BEST part is not dropping weight, but TWO pant sizes!   

• Long Run Nick Amateur 277 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Sep 15, 2009 12:23 PM (in response to Hopeisarunner)
    Re: new runner just finished a 10 K

Suggestion from a guy who has run for over 33 yrs and closing in on 70,000 miles. Slow down. Starting at 51if you don't take it easy you won't last too long. Believe it or not if you slow downbuild a strong aerobic base--let's say 1 yr. Gradually build miles. Get off the track get out on the roads. You will have a greater chance of becoming a lifetime runner. If not, the game will be over and you will then join the world's largest running club"I Use to run, but.........club."  Nick

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...