Skip navigation

1272 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Sep 17, 2009 12:02 PM by dutch omi
DCtoPgh Community Moderator 3,033 posts since
Aug 15, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 16, 2009 7:44 AM

Wednesday Runs

I had a beautiful run today! 7 miles at 9:20 pace, which is huge considering there was a 3,000 foot increase in elevation. My only mile over 10 minutes was just a squeak over and that was during a 1,000 foot hill (rise) and my last mile was solidly sub-9. I also stopped by the Cathedral of Learning to run a few sets of stairs and I ran into the post-doc with whom I share and office and I got a high-5 It was a perfect day, the weather was gorgeous and Pittsburgh was beautiful and it made me so happy to be out there, feeling strong and healthy. The healthy part resonates for two reasons: 1) yesterday I was convinced I was getting sick. I blitzed my system with Vitamin C and water and even thought I was exhausted when I woke up, I perked right up once I hit the pavement; 2) I was watching Biggest Loser yesterday and I watched people my age struggle to run a mile. It made me thankful for the life choices I've made thus far and hopeful that I'll continue to make the right ones to maintain a healthy and active lifestyle. Keep up the good work, gang

I do today what you won't, so tomorrow I do what you can't.

My Blog | i2P

• Brian Loves Mineos Expert 57 posts since
    Oct 9, 2008
    1. Sep 16, 2009 8:02 AM (in response to DCtoPgh)
    Re: Wednesday Runs

Hey Kat,

I swear by those Cold Eez cough drop thingys if I feel a cold/sore throat coming on.  3 or 4 of those a day for hopefully no more than two days and the potential cold is hist-o-ry.

And it was a great morning.  Did 6 in the park.  I miss daylight.  Now I'm trying to guess which hill was the 1,000 foot rise.  Possibilities are Forbes coming up from the Birmingham Bridge, up one of the hills along where the hospitals are towards the Pete, or maybe the hill up Forbes towards the golf course?

How'd I do?

• Becky8846 Legend 686 posts since
    Apr 1, 2009
    3. Sep 16, 2009 9:13 AM (in response to DCtoPgh)

I did my 8.1 mile mid week mid length run today even though it took an abnormally long time to get it done.  I am fighting a cold tooth and nail that is fighting as hard as I am to take hold.  I thought Parveneh's notes about colds and marathons were very interesting.  I had thought my immune system was well tuned with my running more rigorously.  I guess I shouldn't have been so cocky after my really long run last week coming back into the house with two people sick!  Vitamin C all around!  Running this week is making me sweat more than normal even though it's not hot.  I figure it's my system attempting to eject the poisons, so I am motivated to continue even though it's slow going on sore joints and muscles.  My Mom always said that when you get a cold you have 2 choices:  take to the bed or keep on going.  If you take to the bed, don't lift a finger, and nurse yourself back to health without any other activity you will be well in 10 days.  If you keep on going with your normal activities as best you can and trudge through the cold while not missing too much, you will be well in a week and a half.  (My Mom was a card...and a genius!)  I look forward to middle of next week and I will attempt to keep my germs to myself as I slog through the days until this dumb thing runs its course.  Good luck everyone as we all get down to the wire!

• Brian Loves Mineos Expert 57 posts since
    Oct 9, 2008
    4. Sep 16, 2009 9:43 AM (in response to DCtoPgh)

Cardiac Hill.  I haven't heard that name in years.  Kat, have you ever run up McCardle Roadway to Mt. Washington?  That's a fun mile and a great peek at the City.

• RunDaddyRunx4 Legend 1,037 posts since
    May 12, 2008
    5. Sep 16, 2009 10:22 AM (in response to DCtoPgh)

Took a nice and semi-easy 6 miler today, 8.23 pace.  Same route just different day.  Need to start thinking about rotaing out a pair of shoes.  I have 2 pair now but one of them is getting up there in miles.

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    6. Sep 16, 2009 11:16 AM (in response to RunDaddyRunx4)

Just finished an easy 6 miles, 9:31 pace.  Actually, it's scary another really good run.

• KarlD_Navy84 Legend 879 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    7. Sep 16, 2009 6:53 PM (in response to dutch omi)

Cross training workout today.  Went 30 hard minutes on the bike bouncing back between an intensity of 10 & 11 (level 12 being the max).  Tomorrow, I have a 6 mile tempo run with 3 of them being at my short tempo pace of 7:50.  Need to fit in another 18 miler at some point during the weekend.  Winnie has to work, so I might be looking at doing it on Sunday evening.  Not optimal, but that's the way it goes.  Talk to you soon.

Oh by the way, my Vegas Marathon fundraiser for charity: water is off and running.  We have raised $655 so far in direct donations and another $590 through company matchng gift programs.  My goal is $5,000 in direct donations plus $2,500 in matching gifts.  There are 80 days to go!! Thanks to all of you who have contributed so far for your generosity.  You should feel very proud about what you will eventually help accomplish.  Check out my donation page below in my signature line.  Learn more about this terrific organization at

http://www.charitywater.org.

Karl

• LFFC 502 Amateur 35 posts since
    Apr 2, 2008
    8. Sep 17, 2009 7:25 AM (in response to DCtoPgh)

Ran 7.1 miles in 59 minutes tonight.  Works out to an 8:31 pace per mile...trying to learn the rate pace rate for me.  At this rate, just under 4 hours for the marathon...

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    9. Sep 17, 2009 8:21 AM (in response to LFFC 502)

Had a great track workout  1/1/2 warnup, then 20 min slow tempo run around 9:00 pace right into a faster 20 min tempo run 2:00 1/4 10 of these, followed by another slow 10 min tempo run around 9:00 pace, followed by a fast 5 min tempo run 1:45 1/4 (3).    At the end the coach made us use a Power Wheel for core it kick my AS_!

• mikehelvey Legend 516 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    10. Sep 17, 2009 10:17 AM (in response to DCtoPgh)

Biking (ugh) ... did my 8 mile commute each way. It's been a while since I've ridden, kind of forget how fast you loose the edge with certain muscles. Still, it was a good day.

"We enjoy warmth because we have been cold. We appreciate light because we have been in darkness. By the same token, we can experience joy because we have known sadness.." -David Weatherford

• Irish Runner77 Legend 780 posts since
    Nov 1, 2007
    11. Sep 17, 2009 10:35 AM (in response to mikehelvey)

4 easy lunch time miles at about a 9:30 or so pace. Overcast day with a sprinkle or two, but so rare it couldn't be called rain. Small part of the run was right along the James River, which was pretty nice despite wind and clouds.

Had a near incident with a landscaping crew - while I was heading back up the main road to get back to my house (which is sidewalk along the busiest road on the route, ave car speed 40-50 mph) I approached them as they were taking care of a yard on my left. One guy was edging, the other had a leaf blower. Instead of turning their equipment off, or stepping back as I came up, the guy with the blower turned and pointed it right at me, bringing up a cloud of dust and dirt into my eyes. Going around them wasn't an option because that would have had me right in the middle of oncoming traffic. Even shielding my eyes with my hand was only partially successful.

MCM Finisher 2007, 2008, 2009
    CMM Finisher 2008
    Goofy Challenge Finisher 2009, 2010
    Pittsburgh Marathon Finisher 2009
    RnR Seattle Finisher 2009

Richmond Finisher 2009

RnR Las Vegas Finisher 2009

• HORNETDRIVER Amateur 39 posts since
    Apr 1, 2009
    12. Sep 17, 2009 10:57 AM (in response to DCtoPgh)

9 miles @ 9:30 pace. 

I just can't run this pain out of my lower legs.  PT is helping, but I'm over a minute per mile slower now than I was 6 weeks ago. 

Oh well...5 Thursday and 18 on Saturday.

"...three weeks till taper...three weeks till taper..."

HORNETDRIVER

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    13. Sep 17, 2009 12:02 PM (in response to Irish Runner77)

Morons, Chris, Morons!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...