Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

23440 Views 223 Replies Latest reply: Sep 20, 2009 11:39 PM by SeeFluffyRun RSS Go to original post 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15 Previous Next
  • ovenfried Pro 149 posts since
    Sep 8, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    135. Sep 17, 2009 9:24 AM (in response to CarrieNixon)
    Re: 200lbs + Group----Sept.14-20

One nice way to enhance your run is to take some light weights with you.  Before I started C25K, about 8 weeks before, I started running (actually it was like C25K but without a time structure) a few times a week.  I carried a 2lb weight in each hand.  During the walk part, I'd put both weights in one hand and start pumping them to get some arm exercise.  I stopped doing that during C25K because I didn't want to burn myself out.

Anyway, gotta run, at work!

Amy

Amy

Started C25K:  September 10, 2009
    Finished C25K:  November 22, 2009

Dec. 5, 2009:  Jingle Bell Run, Cincinnati, OH  35:43
    April 10, 2010:  Aruna 5k, Cincinnati, OH 39.06  (after not running for several months)
    May 22, 2010:  GO/OTR 5K,  Cincinnati, OH  approx 34:30.  (route was changed at last minute, and about .2 mile was shaved off.  boo!)

• Wideguy Legend 1,161 posts since
    Aug 27, 2009
    136. Sep 17, 2009 9:33 AM (in response to CarrieNixon)

See, I've never done WW, but that line is so true, I know that.  For me it is even more immediate.   I like McDonald's because it is fast and easy and the taste is,, eh... maybe more comfortable than anything.   But for me, it's not even really that amazing taste wise.

I feel so much better and satisfied IMMEDIATELY with a good  meal.   McDonalds or the like takes care of hunger , but really when i look back on it 5 minutes later  I'd much rather have had a nice steak  and a salad.

C25K GRADUATE!
    Complete 10/30/10

And then I let it all go again. More "restarts" than I can count but I haven't given up hope or trying yet. So who knows what's possible.

• Sherri_39 Rookie 3 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    138. Sep 17, 2009 10:02 AM (in response to CarrieNixon)

Thanks so much for starting this group.  Today was my W1D2 and almost did the whole thing.  I'm proud of myself for doing better but I've got a ways to go.  I will repeat next week.  W1D1 I did 5 intervals of 60 sec J/90 sec W before I slowed down to do the last 3 intervals at 60 sec J/ 2minutes walk.  Today W1D2, I did 6 intervals and then had to do the last two with two minutes in between.  I ended up pretty f ar into the trail so I ended up getting an extra 2 mile walk after that.  LOL  I don't know exactly what endorfins (sp?) feel like, but I was darm proud of myself because I haven't tried jogging at all in 28 years.  In one week I have done so much more than sitting on the couch.  I appreciate hearing those of you who are further along and are willing to share your triumphs and struggles.  I take lots of encouragement from it.  Thank you for the support and please let me know if you have any advice for the off days for someone who has zero exercise equipment other than my feet.  I walk 3 miles on the off days but don't really know what else I should be doing.  I'm a little stuck at 202.  It is funny to me that going from 205 to 202 isn't as meaningful in my crazy mind as going from 202 to 199 will be.  Just a little ego I guess.  If this is not the kind of post intended for this group, please let me know.  I just had to share with someone who might understand that for ME running 8 minutes (60 x 8) is a big deal.  Thanks again.

Sherri

Aug 27, 2009
    139. Sep 17, 2009 10:15 AM (in response to Sherri_39)

Sherri... it's still early, no need to stress much , but it's never to early to start with basic body weight stuff... pushups, crunches,  standing lunges ... stuff that will start to tone and strengthen all those underlying muscles  and make them look their best when they are fully revealed 

Plus, muscles burns more calories.

C25K GRADUATE!
    Complete 10/30/10

And then I let it all go again. More "restarts" than I can count but I haven't given up hope or trying yet. So who knows what's possible.

• brpssm Pro 68 posts since
    Jun 19, 2009
    140. Sep 17, 2009 10:16 AM (in response to Wideguy)

Wideguy -- I think that is my favourite thing about our WOE, it is tasty!!!!  My lunches are the envy of my lunch partners.  Today I had a large green salad with real salad (meaning full FAT) dressing, homemade eggplant parmesan with 3/4 cup of fresh grated parmesan over it, and a ton of water.  I would take that lunch over McDonald's lunch anyday. 

I will admit, though, that my rule is on the days I have an official race I am allowed McDonald's breakfast.  I don't eat before I go out (since they are only 5k at this point -- for my 10k I will have oatmeal before I head out), then right after I have 2 egg McMuffins with no sausage and 2 hash browns.  Breakfast on Atkins is usually just a whey protein shake in unsweetened soy milk for me on most days, and on long(er) run days, I have a small bowl of whole grain oatmeal with 1 tbsp of cream before I go out and the protein shake upon returning -- but the McDonald's breakfast after a race -- I really look forward to that!

/Darlene

5km - August 30th - FINISHED 32:50
    5km - September 13th - FINISHED 32:16
    5km - October 4th - Run For The Cure COMPLETED NO TIMING

10km - October 11th - FINISHED 1:11:59

10km - November 7th - Goal:  To finish in < 1:10:00

Jun 19, 2009
    141. Sep 17, 2009 10:18 AM (in response to ovenfried)

Ovenfried -- I have heard that running (even walking) with arm and/or ankle weights is not recommended because of the risk of injury, and that it provides very little additional benfit compared to the risk.  I am not trying to disuade you, just wanted to voice what I had heard a long time ago.  Has anyone else heard this as well?

/Darlene

• SeeFluffyRun Legend 251 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    142. Sep 17, 2009 10:26 AM (in response to CarrieNixon)

Morning Glories!!  I mean good afternoon.  Well I did what I preached not to do last night.  I went for what was suppose to be a walk last night but I ran.  Well it was my walk day and her run day.  So I started out just walking but then pride creeped in and I felt as though I should run since she was running and I didn't want other people there to say "poor fluffy girl, can't run like her friend' Which I know is completely absurb since I get more cheers and encouragement out on the trails than anywhere else.  (Side note:  you really want to encouragement and support?  Run outside with other runners...they are the best people in the world. They will cheer you, smile at you and give you thumbs up.  runners respect eachother)  so anyway, i ran last night and I felt it this morning.  My joints were a bit achy.  So no running today for me.  My next run will be on Saturday.  I will do my long run on that day.  I am going to try to do 4 miles.  I know, it may not be long to some but to me it might as well be a marathon.  LOL

Sherri- good for you for doing your run.  You are a runner girl  The first time any of us make that decision and take that first step...we are runners.

Afatman- I like your blog. 

Graduated C25K 08/09/2009

Restarted 04/01/2013

Follow me on my journey: SEEFLUFFYRUN

Twitter: @SeeFluffyRun

Facebook: SeeFluffyRun

Blog: seefluffyrun.blogspot.com

Aug 27, 2009
    143. Sep 17, 2009 10:31 AM (in response to brpssm)

"Wideguy -- I think that is my favourite thing about our WOE, it is

tasty!!!! My lunches are the envy of my lunch partners. Today I had a

large green salad with real salad (meaning full FAT) dressing, homemade

eggplant parmesan with 3/4 cup of fresh grated parmesan over it, and a

ton of water. I would take that lunch over McDonald's lunch anyday."

MMM that sounds good!  longer to make, takes some planning and effort , but sooo much tastier  and cheaper than a value meal when you break it all down 

C25K GRADUATE!
    Complete 10/30/10

Jun 19, 2009
    144. Sep 17, 2009 10:39 AM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)

SeeFluffyRun -- thanks for echoing what I have also said about the support from other runners, it is really the best.  At 200+lbs I think it is a big concern for new runners that they think all the fit people will be looking, judging, etc., but it is the complete opposite!  So if it is holding anyone back from running outside, don't let it!  It will spur you on and boost you up, I promise!

Last year the female winner of the Montreal Marathon was being interviewed a while after her race, and they interviewer said that what she does is amazing.  Her answer?  She turned to the track behind her where the 'slowest' runners were finishing and she pointed at them and said "they are the amazing ones.  I only ran for 2 hours and now I am done.   Look at those people who keep running for 5 hours, 6 hours, and some of them with extra weight on them.  They are the ones who inspire me because they keep going and it is hard."   Obviously she is being gracious but also very supportive.  I thought it was a fantastic shout out to all those people who did it.

/Darlene

• sherbear000 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 17, 2009
    145. Sep 17, 2009 10:51 AM (in response to CarrieNixon)

I don't usually post on these types of sites but I like this forum. I am 43, 5'8" and 210 and have started the C25K plan, I just did W1D3 yesterday, I quit smoking 6 1/2 years ago and have gradually gained 55 pounds since then, I tried walking and WW and thought I would try this, I really enjoy running and the outdoors but I am experiencing shin pain and I dont want to have to stop. Any suggestions? Should I just repeat W1 and rest a day between running?

• Bobbalouey Rookie 4 posts since
    Sep 14, 2009
    146. Sep 17, 2009 12:09 PM (in response to CarrieNixon)

Hey - I have heard a few things about shin splints, but, by no means am I an expert. Here is what I have heard and experienced.

1. running on sidewalk instead of asphalt or trails (dirt?) can give you shin splints. Asphalt is much softer!

2. Running in hilly areas can give you shin splints.

As for my personal experience, I definetly found the 2 things above to be true. Also, I had shin splints when I first started running - 2 months ago. They went away after about 3 weeks.

Hope this helps somebody!

• GoRunIrish Pro 110 posts since
    Sep 8, 2009
    147. Sep 17, 2009 12:42 PM (in response to brpssm)

Hand weights are okay....but Ankle/Wrist weights are the worst thing you can do.... They are constanly pulling on your limbs. Would you ever pull a rope with your wrists or ankles? Nope, too fragile and susceptible to injury. They are "stretching" under stress. If you want to add weight/resistance to your walk, use hand weights. Your hand is meant to grip and carry.

Started C25K 09/07/09

Dinosaur Dash 5K 11/01/09 40:12

Turkey Trot 5K 11/26/09 44:02

Buffalo Run 02/27/10

• GoRunIrish Pro 110 posts since
    Sep 8, 2009
    148. Sep 17, 2009 12:41 PM (in response to sherbear000)

Bear-

I dig running outside, too. Find a nice rubberized track, like what they have for track meets. The high schools that heavily compete in cross country and track n field usually do. What a huge difference that'll make!! Running on the uneven payment takes its toll on your shins!

If you do experience shin pain, ICE IT! It works... if you have BLUE ICE, wrap it in a dish towel and hold it on your shin, works perfect!!

Started C25K 09/07/09

Dinosaur Dash 5K 11/01/09 40:12

Turkey Trot 5K 11/26/09 44:02

Buffalo Run 02/27/10

• SeeFluffyRun Legend 251 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    149. Sep 17, 2009 1:26 PM (in response to CarrieNixon)

Sherbear HEre is a link to Shin splints causes and remedies:  http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_5/196.shtml#posterior

Also, someone told me to slow down my pace and that helped and to stretch next to my couch.  My couch is a little raised of the ground, I face it, stick one foot underneath, step back a little with my other foot and lean back.  I hope I described that okay. Also, shoes very important.  People at our size really could use stability shoes.  Cushioned shoes, at our size, really just crush down to nothing as we pound the pavement.

Graduated C25K 08/09/2009

Restarted 04/01/2013

Follow me on my journey: SEEFLUFFYRUN

Twitter: @SeeFluffyRun

Facebook: SeeFluffyRun

Blog: seefluffyrun.blogspot.com

1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...