Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4253 Views 21 Replies Latest reply: Sep 17, 2009 8:07 PM by Kat0118 RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • Jyous Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 17, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Sep 17, 2009 10:50 AM (in response to Kat0118)
    Re: Running Shoes

If the New Balance worked well for you before they wore out I don't see any reason to get a different type of shoe.   I've heard lots of stories of the wrong shoe leading to injuries.

I went to the running shoe store when I started running and got fitted for a pair of shoes, on the advice of my husband who does a lot of running. And they do seem comfortable enough, but about the same time I was reading a lot about the benefits of barefoot running. Where I run is small gravel on dirt roads or chip sealed asphalt so I really didn't want to run completely barefoot. I dug out a pair of old discount store no name water shoes from my closet and alternated running in those with running in the running shoes and now prefer to run mostly in the water shoes. My poor expensive running store shoes are very neglected. Maybe I'll give Vibrams a try someday.

• slcekala Amateur 22 posts since
    Aug 30, 2009
    17. Sep 17, 2009 1:36 PM (in response to Cuneiform)

And I would add...when you go to that link that cuneiform posted, and see the picture of Scott Jurek running next to the Tarahumara guy in sandals...look at the difference in foot position on footstrike.  Scott, who appears to be running in traditional running shoes, has his toe up and is poised for a heel strike.  The Tarahumara guy, in sandals, is poised for mid/forefoot strike.  I'll give y'all a hint - try running barefoot down the hall and see how it changes your form.  That's the way people were designed to run - in very minimalist shoes. 

Check out this thread:  (under Trail Running & Ultras / Reactions to the book Born to Run) http://community.active.com/thread/65985/reactions-to-the-book-born-to-run/0/0

Sherry - age 32

Linden, VA

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,369 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    18. Sep 17, 2009 4:55 PM (in response to slcekala)
    slcekala wrote:

And I would add...when you go to that link that cuneiform posted, and see the picture of Scott Jurek running next to the Tarahumara guy in sandals...look at the difference in foot position on footstrike. Scott, who appears to be running in traditional running shoes, has his toe up and is poised for a heel strike. The Tarahumara guy, in sandals, is poised for mid/forefoot strike. I'll give y'all a hint - try running barefoot down the hall and see how it changes your form. That's the way people were designed to run - in very minimalist shoes.

Check out this thread: (under Trail Running & Ultras / Reactions to the book Born to Run) http://community.active.com/thread/65985/reactions-to-the-book-born-to-run/0/0

Sherry - age 32

Linden, VA

Bad assumption. You can't make assumptions about footstrike based on foot position while the foot is in the air. I've had the same thought while watching videos online, heel down, toe in the air, only to find looking frame-by-frame that the foot is landing midfoot with the heel coming down late and touching the ground very lightly, if at all.

The fact is that there is no good evidence on either side of this discussion (like so many others in the running community). There seem to be good reasons to favor a midfoot strike that have nothing to do with running barefoot. Again, good research is lacking. Many shoes sold today make midfoot striking difficult. Personally, the idea of a minimalist shoe is appealing, though I also like the idea of some protection for my feet. But the evangelical zeal of the barefoot crowd completely turns me off.

Len

Len

• kdarold Amateur 24 posts since
    Sep 8, 2009
    19. Sep 17, 2009 7:00 PM (in response to Kat0118)

I'm by far no expert but I think it's about what supports your foot and all the glorius toe room!  My foot always seem squeezed and uncomfortable in Nike's.  I love a brand called Mizuno. They are lightweight and super comfy.  But like others said it what feels good for you.

Every step of the Journey is the Journey
  • Penlowe Amateur 9 posts since
    Sep 10, 2009
    20. Sep 17, 2009 7:47 PM (in response to Kat0118)

Well, I went to the running store that my mothers podiatrist reccomended, and yeah that guy really knew his stuff! I went to a different one recently to help my husband get new shoes. They were very helpful, but relied heavily on the computer program thingy that you stand on. Hubs hasn't had any feet issues so he did get a good pair of shoes. Best bet is to ask around locally, ask podiatrists if you have any minor issues even, they will know where the best shoe fitters are.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points