Skip navigation

1508 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Sep 21, 2009 1:12 PM by jsook
DaveVause Community Moderator 1,447 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 20, 2009 2:31 AM

Sunday Runs: 5 weeks out

Its down to the wire again, folks. 35 days, 2 hrs, 29 minutes by the MMC count down clock.

12 miles this morning alone; then another 10 or 11 with my wife Denise....that's the plan!

Semper Fi.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,424 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Sep 20, 2009 10:35 AM (in response to DaveVause)
    Re: Sunday Runs: 5 weeks out

I did a half-marathon through the streets of Philly, along with a few  thousand of my friends, notably Mike (daMarine) and Amy (McPhilly).  A pretty good day for it, lots of fun.  I finished and didn't embarass myself.

Len

• Cory Steiner Pro 61 posts since
    Jul 14, 2009
    2. Sep 20, 2009 11:15 AM (in response to DaveVause)

Took a step back from last week and did a 12 miler at a good pace (for me) - about a 4 hour marathon.  The course had some steep downhills and long uphills.  It's the first distance, too, where I felt like I had my groove-thing on.  I think I'm getting down with the struggle.

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    3. Sep 20, 2009 12:07 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

Congrats all you runners who did the Philly run and all you runners who ran their own distance.  I had a rest day and went leaf peeping.  It is a gorgeous day and the leaves are turning.

• DCtoPgh Community Moderator 3,033 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    4. Sep 20, 2009 12:55 PM (in response to dutch omi)

Jen and I went for a two hour "recovery" bike ride post-ultra. I wasn't sure how much recovery I'd get because a) Jen rocks at biking and b) she wanted to do a hill I was scared of. I was really hoping I wouldn't need to walk my bike and made her promise before we left she wouldn't judge me if I couldn't get up it. We did a little bit of road riding and a little bit of path riding and I got up the big hill at the end- I could feel my quads but I definitely had more left in me! What a HUGE confidence boost! Also wasn't hit by a car which was a bonus. Great ride with an even better friend

I do today what you won't, so tomorrow I do what you can't.

My Blog | i2P

• RubyBPG Legend 1,604 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    6. Sep 20, 2009 3:54 PM (in response to DaveVause)

Congrats to Carl, Jerry, Kat, Len, Mike, Nita and everyone else who ran races this weekend!  You were all inspirations for my 20 miler this Saturday.

http://mynewmarathon.wordpress.com

• mikehelvey Legend 516 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    7. Sep 20, 2009 5:54 PM (in response to RubyBPG)

A big woohoo out to everyone who ran.

I tried...did a few yards and decided my IT band isn't healed.  I'm depressed.  Go back to the doc tomorrow.

I'm wondering if I can make the MCM at this point.

v/r,

Mike

"We enjoy warmth because we have been cold. We appreciate light because we have been in darkness. By the same token, we can experience joy because we have known sadness.." -David Weatherford

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    8. Sep 20, 2009 7:25 PM (in response to mikehelvey)

Good luck at the doc tomorrow.  I'm going to see the cardiologist tomorrow, let's send each other good healthy vibes. 

• pjconstantine Rookie 12 posts since
    Jun 2, 2003
    9. Sep 20, 2009 8:46 PM (in response to DaveVause)

I did 11 miles today after last week's 20 miler. 21 miles next week and then I'll start to taper.

--

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,424 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    10. Sep 21, 2009 5:37 AM (in response to pjconstantine)

PJ, sounds like you're ready to go.

Mike, keep working on it.  Nita came back, you can too.

Charlotte, you have my permission to tell the cardiologist which way to jump.

Len

• Irish Runner77 Legend 780 posts since
    Nov 1, 2007
    11. Sep 21, 2009 7:23 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

Sunday I did 14 miles at the battlefields again. This time I started at Yorktown Beach, ran up past the Victory Monument, and followed Surrender road until I hit the tour roads. Stuck with the 9/1 run walk, and managed to drop my pace by about 30-45 seconds from last week which made a load of difference.

Finished in 2:26 and change, which is still faster than my average half marathon time, but I didn't have near as rough a recovery as I did last weekend.

I have an 18 miler scheduled for next weekend, followed by back to back 20's. I had thought about changing my run/walk ratio, but so far it's working well, next week will be the real test.

But I know this - five hours is going to fall!

MCM Finisher 2007, 2008, 2009
    CMM Finisher 2008
    Goofy Challenge Finisher 2009, 2010
    Pittsburgh Marathon Finisher 2009
    RnR Seattle Finisher 2009

Richmond Finisher 2009

RnR Las Vegas Finisher 2009

• Camille 77653 Amateur 26 posts since
    Apr 7, 2009
    12. Sep 21, 2009 10:30 AM (in response to DaveVause)

I ran 18 this weekend - did a 5 mile loop with my group(5am) - then back to the start to pick up the 2nd wave of runners (6am) ran in a fine mist for several miles which was great! original plan was to do 17 this weekend but course was a little long so ended up being 18 but it was a great great run - i was tempted to do 21 and say "IVE DONE MY 21!!!....but will save that for 1st weekend in October! I'm really getting excited about MCM!!!

• jsook Rookie 2 posts since
    May 28, 2009
    13. Sep 21, 2009 1:12 PM (in response to DaveVause)

...got 19 in yesterday morning (Nashville), have my 21 mile run next Sunday and then taper off from there.  This is my first MCM - cant wait!  Ran my first marathon last April (Country Music Marathon)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...