Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

9785 Views 82 Replies Latest reply: Oct 9, 2009 12:52 PM by Linda48170 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 ... 6 Previous Next
  • AmandaJCD Amateur 11 posts since
    Sep 21, 2009

W1D2 is today, and I'm kind of psyched for it

I gave my poor husband the rundown on our schedule for the day over our morning coffee.  He's got the day off, so after I get off work I'll take the kids to Tae Kwon Do where he'll meet us, then he'll watch the class while I drop by the grocery store and pick up the rest of the dinner prep stuff then head home.

My thought was that  I'd get dinner started so there wouldn't be much more time waiting for it once they got home, but I'm thinking that eating dinner and then going running might be a bit self-defeating, so I may end up just picking up the groceries, shoving them in the fridge, doing my run first, and then cook.

Then The Biggest Loser is on at 8:00, so it's going to be a tight evening LOL.

Best of success to everyone today!

• kbahborder4 Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 14, 2009

I didn't start this week but I started last week.  I'm currently on W2D1.  I am 23 and have two kids.  My oldest just started school so right now its just me and my daughter.  Even though they keep me busy they don't keep me fit.  My husband is a Marine and rather fit so I am determined to get myself back in shape.  I don't have too much weight to lose I just mostly want to tone and get back in shape.  I used to dance back in jr high and high school.  Since I was a dancer, running is a completely different thing for me.  I managed my first week alright.  There were many times that I wanted to quit but I just kept telling myself that it will get easier with time.  I'm not a fan of feeling like my lungs are on fire but my husband (who could run a 5k in his sleep no problem) assures me this won't last forever.  I hope everyone is doing well on their first week!

• twistingpath Amateur 17 posts since
    Sep 20, 2009

LOL I like knowing the on-fire feeling won't last forever.  I seriously did not know that. 

It is storming like crazy outside again.  I may have to do treadmill after all, but I'd rather take the pup and hit the ground--guess we'll see.  I had a little bit of ache in my knee after Sunday but it is all gone yay...so am excited to see how I do tonight with the ipod telling me when to walk and when to run.  Got that set up last night.

Sep 20, 2009

I actually worked with one of the Biggest Loser winners...the girl who won last year.  I remember how big she waswhen I saw she had won, I ran to check out how she lookedWOW.  Good for her!  Truly amazing.

I should check it out tonight too.  Inspiring!

• SarahChole Rookie 3 posts since
    Sep 22, 2009

I just started last night (9/21). I'm 24 and my husband is a paratrooper in the Army. I don't think I'll ever be able to keep up with him or run as far as he can but I'd love to be able to join him for a run a couple of times a week. So, that's one reason why I'm starting this program. The other is weight loss. I want to get healthy and stay that way. I have hypothyroidism and PCOS so weight loss is very difficult for me but it's something I know I have to do no matter how hard it is. We're hoping to get pregnant after I reach my goal weight & I'm hoping to reach that by Dec 31. I refuse to start the new year without a new me.

Good luck everyone.

Sep 20, 2009

Am trying to get my user pic fixed--hopefully it will show up. LOL.

Okay today is day 2.  Storming like crazy today, but hopefully it will clear up tonightif not, then I'll have to hit the treadmill instead.  Either way, I'm excited to do it right this time with the help of the ipod program.  I didn't find one I truly liked, so went with the one most people seem to use.  I really prefer the quietwalking at least has always been lovely thinking time--but think this will help me out so what the heck.

I finally put my city in my profile and a ton of runs sprung up! Yay!  There's one in December that may just be ideal. LOL hopefully it won't be too cold.

Anyone keeping track of their inches? I think I will, though I didn't as I was losing all my weight (I used hcg to lose it, which worked great for me).  I want to see just how this flabby body firms up. LOL.

• Linda48170 Amateur 30 posts since
    Apr 13, 2009

You're right twistingpath. It's never too late! My philosphy is "60 is the new 40"!  And 40 is very young.

This is my inbetween resting day...started yesterday (21st). I was surprised to have some sore muscles today, but I'm looking forward to tomorrow for day 2. 

• kbahborder4 Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 14, 2009

Got my workout in today right before it started pouring outside!  I started the 90 second run today and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  I thought I would barely make it and be checking my stopwatch to see how much longer I would have go through the torture.  The first 3 segments were fine.  The last 2 were a bit harder but the main thing is I made it.  I could tell my breathing was more regulated and not as labored so thats a big deal for me.  Good luck to all of the rest of you!

• Gregorykicks Rookie 6 posts since
    Sep 22, 2009

Well I just started w1d1 today, acutally just finished it.  I used to be in soccer and swim team in high school, but haven't done much in the last six years.  I had arthroscopic knee surgery back in March, and now have no excuse not to exercise since my pain is virtually nonexistent and the muscles have had time to stabilize.  I'm 6'4" 216ish lbs and 22 years old.. and dang was I tired after today.  I'm in college so I figure now is the best time to start.  Looking forward to getting into shape with you all! I know I'll need some pushing to get my butt off the couch and on the sidewalk.

• Steffyp12 Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 21, 2009

Hi everyone. This is my first post here and I also started W1D1 yesterday (9/21). I have always wanted to be a runner- so much so that I even dream about it! My ultimate long term goal is to run a marathon, but obviously need to get some smaller runs in first. I am 26, 5'5" and 120 lbs. I am not doing this to lose weight, but to get in better shape and become more active. I sit at a desk all day but am lucky enough to get outside for walks at lunchtime. My fiance is a mountain biker and road cyclist so he came out with me yesterday and kept track on his stopwatch- what a great guy Definitely had the "lungs on fire" feeling but am optimistic that things will get easier. Good luck to everyone and I'm looking forward to checking back daily to read about everyone's progress!

Stephanie

• amandalynn636 Expert 57 posts since
    Sep 13, 2009

Hi Megan! I technically started on the 17th but my friend is joining me on the plan so I am redoing W1 this week so I am right there with you! . I am also like you at 200lbs.  It sucks but hopefully I won't be at this weight much longer. I, like you, have always wanted to be a runner & with this plan I can see my goals in sight! You should check out the 200 board! They are a great group of people!

Began:C25K September 17,2009

Finished:C25K November 26, 2009

First 5k- November 26, 2009 Turkey Trot(45:24)

• lauraw721 Amateur 17 posts since
    Jun 26, 2009

I'm just getting started, too. I will probably start this coming weekend or next Monday the 28th. I'm a 26 year old stay at home mom that wants to be healthy and active. I just downloaded all my podcasts. I'm hoping I'll actually stay 'on the wagon' when it comes to exercise for once in my life.   Good luck everyone!

Started C25K 9/28/09

"Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?'"
    - Peter Maher, Canadian marathon runner

Sep 20, 2009

Okey dokey, I just finished my first session! I am not counting Sunday, because with the podcast tonight, I felt like I really did it right and didn't on Sunday. LOL. Too much guessing.

Am very pleased with how I did.  Stayed comfortable, no breathing through mouth or fatigue, the intervels flew by without a problem.  My dog pouted at me though since I used the treadmill--he's going to have to wait until I get further along.

I have my treadmill in my kitchen, with an old laptop to watch shows on--since I've got the podcast, I found myself staring at my background picture. Boring! I am going to look for a pretty visual program to watch. I know they have to exist! 

Am very curious about food. Since I'm not doing this to lose weight, I'm at a loss as to what to eat. Am hoping that I can ask around or find some sort of proper gameplan.

Rest day tomorrow, back on Treadmill Thursday, then again Sunday.  Good so far! YAY!

• Gregorykicks Rookie 6 posts since
    Sep 22, 2009

Well I'm no nutritionist, but my mom is, so I can give you a few ideas on foods.  This wouldn't be a marathon plan or anything, but if you're just starting this should work.

Eat healthy. Aka not as much fast and "pre" prepared foods like microwaveable meals.  Carbs are win.  Potatoes, whole grains, brown rice, even fiberless white rice and pastas are no prob. Your body loves carbs for energy creation and you're using more now than you're used to.  If you're craving something eat it.. I was craving carrot sticks today for some reason. I guess my body knew I needed the vitamins or something.  Basically the less artificial stuff you put in you the more your body is going to be able to use from what you eat.  That and keep hydrated. Your urine should be straw or lemonaide color. If it's clear you're over hydrating.  Milk really does help your bones, and running is rough on them, so milk is good!

It sounds pretty comon sensey and straight forward, but that's kinda how it works. If you have any more specific questions I can do my best or run them by my mom.

1 2 3 4 ... 6 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...