Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

9529 Views 82 Replies Latest reply: Oct 9, 2009 12:52 PM by Linda48170 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next
  • LizzyN Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 23, 2009

Hi there. I'm 34 yo female  with 2 kids (aged 5 and 2). I've been putting off exercise since before I had my first child. I'm 5'7" and 141 pounds, so not really looking to lose weight, just really want to get fit and definitely tone up.

I just started C25K and did W1D1 today, I think my muscles will be hating me tomorrow but I feel really good!  I used the Robert Ullrey podcast and thought it was really helpful.I look forward to doing C25K with you all and supporting each other!!

So glad I found this thread!

Liz

• Ware713 Amateur 17 posts since
    Sep 20, 2009

Hey Megan! Just completed W1D2 and I am proud to say that I completed the entire thing! I told you on D1, I missed about 3 minutes of the walk/run. I am really happy right now. I may end of staying with W1 workout next week just to help build my endurance, but we will see. I am one of those people that like to see what I have lost on the scale on a daily basis too! What I have learned is that I would become discouraged if I have been working out and did not see any change on the scale. That has been part of my problem so far. I would sabotage my own efforts because of the scale. I would much rather see the results in the way my clothes are fitting. I know now that sometimes the weight loss is seen that way first and on the scale second. Anyway, your fiancee hiding your scale should help a lot also! LOL!

If you started losing weight 5 weeks ago and have lost 12lbs, that is a reason to be glad. That is a remarkable weight loss. I am sure the Couch to 5K will help you get down to your goal weight. Lord, it does work some muscles I knew I had, but was definitely not using! I forgot about the tee shirt you get after running a 5K. I think I will set that as part of my goal too! That would be a great accomplishment so why not show it to the world!

Let me know how it's going!

Veleka

Sep 20, 2009

Hey Amanda! Welcome to the board. I started C25K this week and completed my second day today. I have two very active kids and I have found that working out in the morning works better for me. In the afternoon, I could be worn out from work then I have to come home and help with homework while I am cooking. It makes for a very long afternoon. So far, it has been working out great. By the time I finish working out, I take a shower and wake the kids up before going downstairs to start breakfast. I had such a rough day at work yesterday that if I was supposed to work out in the afternoon, I would not have made it. I just try to eat sensibly during the day!

Anyway, let us know how it is going!

Veleka

Sep 20, 2009

I think it is great that you have the support of your husband! The fact that he is a Marine and used to all this strenuous activity is a plus. He can relate to what you are feeling. My husband is supportive, but I figure he is waiting on me to lose my momentum like I always do! Now that Megan reminded me of the 5K tee shirt that you get if you complete the run, I am on fire! Just completed W1D2 and I actually feel great! I like being able to tell people that I am training for a 5K.

On D1, I had the same feeling of my lungs being on fire, but today, it was still there, but much better. I did not completely finish D1. I did not walk/run for about 3 minutes, but I am happy to say that I completed all of D2! Let us know about your progress!

Sep 20, 2009

Hey Sarah! Welcome to the board! Even though you have hypothyrodism and PCOS, you can lose weight. It will be a slow process, but it can be done. We will be here to encourage you all the way! I hope that you meet your goal weight by Dec 31, but please do not get discouraged if you don't. Just look at the weight you will have lost. I am telling you this from experience. I would sabotage my own weight loss efforts because I wanted to be a certain weight by a certain date! It can be very discouraging. Even though I had lost weight in the process, the only thing I could look at is that I did not meet my goal. Either way, we will be there to keep you uplifted! Let us know about your progress.

Veleka

• AmandaJCD Amateur 11 posts since
    Sep 21, 2009

I finished W1D2 yesterday -- yay!

Ended up leaving work (in the RAIN -- ugh), picking the kids up from their after-school program, running them to Tae Kwon Do, dropped them with the husband, hit the grocery store for last minute dinner supplies, got home, refrigerated refrigeratables,changed into exercise gear, and hit the treadmill.

I have to admit I was feeling a bit rushed since I knew everyone would be home in about 40 minutes and my goal was to do my run, get my shower, and get dinner started before they walked in the door.  For feeling like I had a gun to my back, I'd say it went well   They got home before I made it to the kitchen to start dinner, but everyone appears to have survived my non-Donna Reed-esque behaviour without too terribly much trauma.

I'll be walking today, probably for about an hour (I do some incline invervals when I'm walking), then it's W1D3 tomorrow.  Still pumped.  This is a good thing.

Glad to hear everyone's progress -- keep it up, folks!

• SarahChole Rookie 3 posts since
    Sep 22, 2009

Veleka, Thanks so much for the encouragement. Having my goal met by Dec 31 is really a hope but if it takes a bit longer than that I'm ok with it. I know how putting a date on it can be discouraging. Especially with how slow the weight comes off for me. The main this is that it IS coming off. My medicine dosage is finally correct so I'm thrilled after trying to lose weight over the past year or so and getting nowhere, not even one pound. And that was very discouraging. As long as I can hold steady at around 2lbs lost each week I will only be about 3-8lbs away from the range I'd like to get to and stay inside.

So, what does everyone do on their non-run days?

• BabyCatcherNat Amateur 16 posts since
    Mar 29, 2008

May I join in???????

Hi, I'm Natalie, I'm 36, I'm a nurse, I'm in grad school....I have four WONDERFUL children.  Two years ago I ran the New York Marathon and I felt GREAT but, it was such a freedom to not "have" to run after the marathon that I just stopped running-something I regret to this day.  I have gained nearly 50 lbs since then and even at that point I was about 10 lbs heavier than I wanted to be.  I have been feeling the major stresses of a job, family and grad school for the past year (during which I've gained about 20 of those pounds). I have realized that I sacrificed running because it wasn't as urgent as the other things in my life.  I am starting to take a new approach as of this week though-running will be my #1 priority and then everything else will fall into place.   Right??

Embrace the Journey

• twistingpath Amateur 17 posts since
    Sep 20, 2009

Thanks Gregory...

I actually already eat a super-clean dietI started December 31st, and kicked all Frankenfoods out of my life, all processed sugars, all sodas, and have lost 52 lbs.  So I am eating right, pretty muchbut I admit I have barely touched carbs because I always would gain with them.  I am going to start out VERY cautious with them, that's for sure. 

Frankenfoods are the Devil!]:)

Now, WHY won't my lovely user pic avatar thingy show up? I am getting annoyed!

• twistingpath Amateur 17 posts since
    Sep 20, 2009

Good grief, you NEED running now, Bad! For sanity! LOL. That's alot going on!

Hop on in!

Day after W1D1 I feel really really good. LOL my weight is up a lb. but I ran at night so that's the price. Am debating if I want to stop weighing myself every day or not. I am a night-weigher too. It is such a bad habit but I am obsessed with that scale! I should get my daughter to hide mine, great idea!

I just realized that i didn't have fire-lung at all running.  Walking my husky these last few months probably has helped more than I realized. I am sure the fire-lung will find me later though!

• Linda48170 Amateur 30 posts since
    Apr 13, 2009

Hi everyone,

Hope you're all having a great day!

I did the 2nd day of week 1 today.  I was excited to get started! and my husband actually joined me. I'm the one who has been walking, walking, walking for months now while he's been lounging on the couch.  But he kept up with me and even ran faster than me, passed me.  What's up with that? At one point he was even running backwards. Show off.

Anyway, I found it a tad easier to run the  60 second segments today but was still huffing and puffing!  My neighborhood is not real hilly but there are some definite inclines...so maybe that makes it a little more challenging. 

I'm so looking forward to the day I can run three times around the perimeter of the neighborhood, which is 3 miles!

Lin

• Gregorykicks Rookie 6 posts since
    Sep 22, 2009

Yeah carbs are very high in energy, but if you're active now as opposed to before they shouldn't put the weight on.  I wouldn't dive into a pound of pasta or anything yet though haha

• SarahChole Rookie 3 posts since
    Sep 22, 2009

Just got in the door from finishing W1D2 and WHOA. I haven't felt the greatest today and had no appetite to eat. I think that really kicked my behind. I only got 2 miles and that included the warm up/cool down. Friday I will definitely remember to eat normally throughout the day. All in all tho it feels great to push through and finish it even tho you feel like you're going to die. lol

• Steffyp12 Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 21, 2009

Just finished W1D2 and I feel pretty good! My lungs weren't burning as bad as d1, but the tops of my thighs were burning! My breathing felt a little better today as well. I'm really optimistic about getting through the program and hopefully doing a 10k or half marathon early next year. Keep up the good work everyone!

Sep 20, 2009

I felt a little more sore in my legs after W1D2, but I completed it. Good luck on running a 10k or half marathon. For right now, I am aiming for a few 5k runs, but hopefully I can work my way up to longer marathons. Anyway, keep us posted on your progress!

Veleka

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...