Skip navigation

1697 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 24, 2009 12:33 PM by Nutrition Tara RSS
Indians1 Rookie 1 posts since
Mar 25, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 1, 2009 5:36 PM

Gels

I recently raced Ironman Louisville and I had a problem keeping down my nutrition. I started out on the bike using the Infinite drink, but I am only able to carry enough for about the first three hours. After that, I used Power Gels and Gatorade Endurance for the final couple of hours. I have trained with these gels in the past and have had no problems. But, during the race, when I started to take in the gels, I couldn't keep the gels down and I kept spitting up the gels. This happened the remaining part of my ride. When I started the run, I had a fuel belt with the Infinite that would last me for an hour. I felt good for this first hour, but again once I switched over to the gels for the remaining part of the race I would start spitting up what ever I tried to digest. At first I was taking in just gels, but I had to switch to bananas, but I had the same problem. Have anyone ever heard of an issue like this? Like I said, I have trained with both the Power Gels and the Infite and have not had an issue. I have had this happen to me before at a race in FL that was extremely humid, so I just attributed it at the time to the extreme heat. Any insight anyone can provide would be great.

• orragoSAM Amateur 12 posts since
    Sep 4, 2009
    1. Sep 14, 2009 12:06 PM (in response to Indians1)
    Re: Gels

I have the same problem with Power Gels.  I can't take down that consistancy or anything thats not all liquid when my body is in full gear.  I just have a power bar 30 minutes before the race and then only liqued until the end.

• Nutrition Tara Community Moderator 41 posts since
    Jul 17, 2007
    2. Sep 24, 2009 12:33 PM (in response to Indians1)
    Re: Gels

How much water are you taking in during the races?  How much sodium is in your Infinit?  Was you last race really humid as well?  It sounds like you may be a little dehydrated which is impacting your digestion.  It may not be an issue of you drinking enough but rather not absorbing the water during your race.

"Courage doesn't always roar, sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow."

www.taracoleman.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points