Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6763 Views 36 Replies Latest reply: Sep 27, 2009 9:10 AM by Nassema RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Runnergal262 Legend 514 posts since
    Sep 1, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Sep 25, 2009 1:56 PM (in response to TheNeed4More)
    Re: Morning run vs evening?

Do what feels good for you and works with your schedule.  Remember the only rule to running is to be sure you get your shoes properly fitted and to just go out and do it.  The rest is up to you!  I prefer a.m. in the summer to avoid the heat and humidity.  I love nighttime running in the fall/winter and just really can't live without my Saturday a.m. long runs.

• Babsbunny77 Amateur 11 posts since
    Jun 30, 2009
    31. Sep 25, 2009 8:31 PM (in response to TheNeed4More)

For me, it depends on season, day of the week, and geographic location.

In the summer, I will run late in the evening if I'm home in the city... if I'm at the beach, then I find myself getting up early and always hit the boardwalk before it heats up and gets crowded.

Now that it's fall, if I get the chance to shoot down to the beach, I'll run whenever I can get there... if I'm home, I run late afternoon/early evenings during the week and late mornings on the weekends.  Same pretty much goes for the spring.

Winter, I hibernate... so getting me out at all is nothing short of a miracle.

• BPS1976 Amateur 34 posts since
    Apr 7, 2008
    32. Sep 25, 2009 8:58 PM (in response to TheNeed4More)

I like mornings in the summer to try to beat the heat, but the downside is the humidity is sometimes worse.  Mornings in the fall, because I have more daylight.  During the depths of winter I've been lucky to work from home so I can go at lunch in the "warmest" part of the day.  In the spring, I like running in the evening.

http://earnyourdonuts.blogspot.com/

• mrsphong Amateur 14 posts since
    Sep 16, 2009
    33. Sep 25, 2009 9:08 PM (in response to TheNeed4More)
  • Apocalypte Rookie 61 posts since
    Aug 4, 2008
    34. Sep 26, 2009 2:58 PM (in response to mrsphong)

Very much an evening person, favourite time to run is 8-10pm. I struggle enough with getting up for early classes without trying to get up even earlier to run.

My couch - 15 Jul 2008

Dublin Marathon - 26 October 2009

• Kaenman Pro 60 posts since
    Sep 13, 2009
    35. Sep 27, 2009 8:33 AM (in response to TheNeed4More)

Personally I prefer mornings.  I like to see the sun come up as I run and it brings back a little nostalgia for the military life (can't believe I think that now ).  Also, I live near an interstate--Ozone levels are lower in the morning so it is not as hard on the lungs.  That said, I have often heard taht evening runs are better because you are loosened up and can train harder.  So sometimes I run in the afternoon.  Sometimes I run both morning and afternoon.

• Nassema Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 16, 2009
    36. Sep 27, 2009 9:10 AM (in response to TheNeed4More)

I rather run in the evenings, as its difficult to get up early in the morning, plus I have limited time in the mornings before work, so its better in the evenings when I can eat something before and be more relaxed.

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points