Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

9748 Views 38 Replies Latest reply: Oct 23, 2009 7:52 AM by jefferjo 1 2 3 Previous Next
tpcclt Rookie 4 posts since
Aug 6, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 28, 2009 6:44 AM

Is this rude?  Sprint to the finish...

This may be the dumbest question asked in a long time, but while finishing up a 5K this weekend, I had a great sprint going to the finish line.  I probably passed 10 people in the last 50 yards and was really moving.  My long term history is that of a 400 Meter runner in HS and I've always been coached to sprint to the finish.  It hit me as I crossed the line that "This is only a 5K and maybe it was rude of me to sprint in like that."  Let's face it, a lot of people (myself included) are running this 5K for the fun of it.  Was I wrong to pass people like that, perhaps demotivating them or am I just being overly sensitive about this?

Tom

Personal Bests:
11/26 - Southpark 8K Turkey Trot - 44:33
12/12 - Charlotte Thunder Road 5K - 26:45
2/13/10 - Myrtle Beach Half-Marathon – Canceled
2/14/10 - My own personal Half-Marathon - 2:18:05

Upcoming:
3/6/10 - Alston-Bird Corporate Cup Half Marathon
Charlotte Run for Your Life Grand Prix Series – 10 races
4/10/10 - Southpark Race Fest Half-Marathon
Fall 2010 - Either Charlotte Thunder Road Marathon or ING NYC (if I get into the lottery)
  • jwsamuel Amateur 19 posts since
    Sep 28, 2009
    1. Sep 28, 2009 7:03 AM (in response to tpcclt)
    Re: Is this rude? Sprint to the finish...

As a former runner who is just starting again, I'd say that unless your sprint interfered with other runners, there is absolutely nothing wrong with what you did.

Jim

• silvereagle Legend 1,159 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    2. Sep 28, 2009 7:13 AM (in response to jwsamuel)

The only problem i see in it is that you had to much energy at the end of the race and you should have ran Faster over all!!! JK

Anyway there was nothing wrong with you sprinting to the end like to other poster said as long as you didnt knock someone over to get there . this isnt about you racing others, its about you doing the best you can do, and bettering yourself.

Congrats on your strong finish and dont worry about what others think because if they had in them to sprint to the end they would have.

Congrats again,

Dennis

It's not only about finishing, its about finishing healthy!

• VeggieChick81 Pro 130 posts since
    Jan 28, 2009
    4. Sep 28, 2009 8:13 AM (in response to tpcclt)

I hope to God it's not rude, because I do this at every race! (and almost every run...once I see my house I always make a sprint)

There is something about once you can see that finish clocking ticking away that makes my legs move faster... and I'm not trying to beat anyone I may be passing, just trying to beat the clock

Don't let that Catholic guilt get ya, unless your running too many Sunday morning races and skipping on Mass too much :P

"If you don't run you rust" - Tom Petty

• Kaenman Pro 60 posts since
    Sep 13, 2009
    5. Sep 28, 2009 8:36 AM (in response to tpcclt)

It is not wrong to sprint to the finish.  You are in a race.  It is a ll in the spirit of friendly competition.

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    6. Sep 28, 2009 8:38 AM (in response to tpcclt)

the only time I would consider it "rude" is if you took it easy the enitire race just to do that

But as other pointed out - if you have that much of kick - you should run harder during the race

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• ICanRunAMarathon Amateur 23 posts since
    Jun 9, 2009
    7. Sep 28, 2009 11:08 AM (in response to spicegeek)

Ah...! My first 5k was last Saturday and I did NOT sprint to the finish, somehow thought it was rude. I was running behind a pair of elderly runners for the last half mile. I got a surge of energy when I saw the finish line, but I increased my speed by just a little bit so as to not pass them. Oh well, maybe next time.

• campi_mama Expert 40 posts since
    Jul 26, 2009
    8. Sep 28, 2009 11:59 AM (in response to tpcclt)

I always kick it in.  No matter how much I've given in a race there is always a little more oomph to cross the finish.  I'd rather go hard at the end than burn myself out by starting out too fast.

• cyndi t Legend 1,061 posts since
    Aug 11, 2008
    10. Sep 28, 2009 12:17 PM (in response to tpcclt)

The only time I really run fast is at the end...I actually train to kick it into gear like the last 1/4 mile.  The addrenaline rush is awesome.

TRUST THE TRAINING!

• AFatManRunning Legend 326 posts since
    Sep 14, 2009
    11. Sep 28, 2009 12:58 PM (in response to tpcclt)

I'd dismiss those who suggest that keeping a reserve for a final sprint is somehow wrong.  If that's the case, we have cross country coaches all over the country training our youth to do it wrong.

When you run a race, you run to win.  If pushing harder throughout the race means you might burn yourself out faster while staying two or three positions ahead, but reserving some energy and being able to jump up some 10 places in the end gives you a better result, then which is running to win?

I know the main point of many 5k races is not the winning, but, unless you are battling a huge personal battle (as am I) where just finishing such a race is an accomplishment, what's the point of running a race if you aren't going to try your best to win?

It was my wife's idea--really! Okay, it helps that I need to lose the weight, too.

http://oursecretplan.blogspot.com (FatManRunning - Couch to 5k)

Completed Couch-to-5k - 10/30/09

Chaska Turkey Trot 5k - 11/14/09 (42:13)

Howard Lake Turkey Tagalong 5k - 11/26/09 (42:23)

Sat around like a bum while I finished grad school - 11/27/09 to 6/25/10

Restarted running 6/26/10

City of Festivals 5k - 08/07/10 (40:45) - ran with Mrs. F and four of the kids!

• cyndi t Legend 1,061 posts since
    Aug 11, 2008
    12. Sep 28, 2009 1:22 PM (in response to AFatManRunning)

I think you'll find that most racers aren't in the race to win it.  Most of us are running our races for personal reasons and most of those reasons do not include the thought that we might actually win it.  I race myself, my own demons, my own ambitions, my own dreams.  I'll never win anything but my own satisfaction and maybe the admiration and respect of a few select individuals who know how hard I've trained and how much it means to me.  If you race only to win, I think with all due respect that you're missing the point.;)

TRUST THE TRAINING!

• CLS89 Legend 212 posts since
    Oct 13, 2008
    13. Sep 28, 2009 1:50 PM (in response to tpcclt)
    tpcclt wrote:

I think I had a little extra gas in the tank because I had held back. All week on the blogs in town people were worried about the "hill" at the end of the race. I held back thinking I'd need it but then it turned out to be a non-event. I grew up in upstate NY (outside of Binghamton) where there are real hills to run. Here in Charlotte, NC, not so much. Anyway, by the time I got to the last 2 blocks and could see the line, I was primed and ready and hit the afterburners.

Definitely didn't plan it that way and didn't get in anybody's way or disrupt their stride - just ran it home, watching that clock the whole way!

On to the next event - the 5K runway run on Oct 31st at Charlotte Douglas Airport. Pretty cool event - running on the taxiway while the airport is open.

Ha! I'm glad I don't have to run in upstate NY then, because I thought the hills (especially mile 4) in the Thunder Road half last year in Charlotte we're killer! lol

The airport run sounds awesome though, must be nice and flat!

As for sprinting to the finish, I don't consider it rude at all. (Unless, as someone mentioned, you interfere with others while doing so). I definitely sprinted at the finish of my last one when I could see the big clock ticking closer and closer to my goal time

~Cristina~ (@mission262)

Currently training for:

Electric City Gobbler 5k 11/25/20

Kiawah Island Half-Marathon 12/11/10

Shamrock Marathon 3/20/11

• Lovin2TRI Amateur 27 posts since
    Jul 31, 2007
    14. Sep 28, 2009 1:56 PM (in response to cyndi t)

More power to you if you have that strength to really put out at the end of the race!  I'm no speed demon and never will be, but even I seem to get a spurt of energy toward the end of my 5K races (average 37:00) and I try to run strong when I finish.  I'm usually toward the back of the pack, and nowhere near the top competitors, so it isn't like I'm a contender for "first overall" or anything!  But it does feel good to see that finish line up ahead and that seems to help me "pour it on" in my own way.  I even occasionally place in my age group if there aren't too many of us (and not just when there are only 3 in my age group -- LOL), but I am more interested in bettering my time as I complete my runs.

That said, one of my BIGGEST pet peeves is NOT when someone sprints past me DURING the race, rather AFTERWARDS: 

I find it VERY rude and kind of "in your face, slowpoke" when you have the fast finishers doing their ...ahem..."cool downs" by coming back onto the 5K course at a good clip TOWARD us slower runners who are still plodding along to just FINISH, and they breeze by effortlessly.  It's just plain insensitive and makes some of us feel like we're real losers.  Like they're saying "Gee, look at me, I finished this piece of cake 5K in 18:35 and now I'm doing it again and these doofuses aren't even DONE yet."  In all fairness, some of them probably don't even think anything at all, they just do it, but GEEZ, how about some respect for everyone who is participating in the race?

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points