Skip navigation

3806 Views 41 Replies Latest reply: Oct 2, 2009 6:29 PM by dutch omi 1 2 3 Previous Next
Charlie!2 Legend 1,128 posts since
Jan 21, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 28, 2009 3:18 AM

MCM...Who is In...Who is Out?

My marathon training just hasn't been going right. My longest run has been 13.1 since Jun. Been having different issues...my repaired leg as well as my other lower leg problems and various bouts of illness...that keep setting me back. I probably could just suck it up and go ahead and do it but don't feel confident about it.

Now I'm seriously thinking of deferring MCM till next year. I'm running the Army 10 miler this Sunday...It would be nice if I could wait until after that race to decide whether to defer or not but I only have till Wednesday to do so.

Who is In and running this year?

Who is Out and deferring til next year?

• badgergrl Legend 738 posts since
    Jan 17, 2008
    1. Sep 28, 2009 3:39 AM (in response to Charlie!2)
    Re: MCM...Who is In...Who is Out?

I've officially deferred to 2010.  Like you, Charlie, my training did not go as planned with several sicknesses throughout the summer and I think one has settled in my chest - it feels like a 20 pound weight is just chilling there whenever I run.

I really wanted to just suck it up and run, but knew i wouldn't enjoy it and my confidence to run 26 miles was wavering.

• MCM Ron Legend 1,916 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    2. Sep 28, 2009 3:39 AM (in response to Charlie!2)

Hey Charlie,

Well, I've got ya by 2 miles - I've done a 15 miler since June!  I'm out for MCM, but hadn't planned on doing it this year anyway.   I'm thinking of doing the Frederick Marathon next spring.

Sorry to hear about your injuries.  A buddy of mine is in town this weekend to run the ATM, so I'm likely heading down there to watch it this weekend.  Who else is doing the ATM?

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.  (from my ice tea lid)

• silvereagle Legend 1,159 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    3. Sep 28, 2009 4:26 AM (in response to MCM Ron)

I think you all are better off by your defer and get healthy again then taking a chance and really hurting yourselves for a long while....

Im in!

Training for me is going pretty good and im looking forward to the race and seeing everyone!

Dennis

It's not only about finishing, its about finishing healthy!

• mbottos Amateur 37 posts since
    Jan 23, 2008
    4. Sep 28, 2009 6:16 AM (in response to Charlie!2)

I'm out, defered to next.

Stress fracture left foot.   I ran the VA Beach half Labor day weekend, limped in the last 3 miles. Haven't recovered yet.  I'll rest today, to run another day...

• Camille 77653 Amateur 26 posts since
    Apr 7, 2009
    5. Sep 28, 2009 6:22 AM (in response to Charlie!2)

I'm in! This is my second marathon but it's amazing how different I feel KNOWING i can do it!! I'm slow - but I've trained and I'm ready! I'm looking forward to my 21 miler this weekend and then the taper to the finish!

Hoorah!

Camille

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    6. Sep 28, 2009 6:49 AM (in response to Camille 77653)

I'M in, I feel pretty good.  One more hard training week  with a 20 on Sat then taper .  I wish everyone the best see ya in DC.  Phillip

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,412 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    7. Sep 28, 2009 6:58 AM (in response to BOSNPM)

I don't know, Charlie.  You want to know who is in, but then you're out!  I'll be there, ready to run, even if slowly.

Len

• Julie95300 Expert 54 posts since
    Apr 8, 2009
    8. Sep 28, 2009 7:38 AM (in response to Charlie!2)

In

I'm doing Freedom's Run this Saturday to get my 26 miler in and then I will taper. Just going to focus on taking it easy so that I am ready for 10/25.

~julie

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    9. Sep 28, 2009 7:39 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

I'm out, I'm running Niagara on the same day.

• DoubleEye Legend 645 posts since
    Feb 4, 2008
    10. Sep 28, 2009 7:44 AM (in response to Charlie!2)

I'm out.

Wish I wasn't...but on July 4th I had an 11 miler where I felt some right knee pain, and for about a month I tried shorter runs, but nothing worked. So I decided to let the body rest for a bit (already did 2 halves and 1 full earlier this year) and begin training again later this fall. I sold my bib to someone in the DSG running group, but don't worry, I'll be back for MCM 2010!

Side story, since running MCM in 2007 and 2008, I had maybe 8 friends sign up for this year's race. All have since dropped out, mostly due to injury or poor training. Seems like this year's training hasn't been kind to more people than usual.

However, I will be out there supporting you all this year and wish everyone the best of luck!

• CWCastelli Legend 375 posts since
    Aug 28, 2007
    11. Sep 28, 2009 7:51 AM (in response to DoubleEye)

I'm in. After deferring last year, I just have to run. Training has been sporadic after going thorugh some injuries/non-injuries/etc.  latest is some soreness in my Achilles down by the heel, at least I think it is the Achilles.  Once I start running I am fine, but if I stop it tightens up real bad.  So, I just gotta keep moving come 25 October. Think I will rest it this week, so for a short run on Sunday, adn a longer one Columbus Day weekend. Then taper until the end.

I'm not slow, I'm rear security.

Thoroughbreds run fast and finish early.  Clydesdales run slow and pull beer wagons.  I'll be a Clydesdale.

• MCM Ron Legend 1,916 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    12. Sep 28, 2009 9:27 AM (in response to Julie95300)

Julie95300 wrote:

In

I'm doing Freedom's Run this Saturday to get my 26 miler in and then I will taper. Just going to focus on taking it easy so that I am ready for 10/25.

~julie

Hey, you're Julie from the Steeps' forum, aren't you?  Welcome here!

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.  (from my ice tea lid)

• badgergrl Legend 738 posts since
    Jan 17, 2008
    13. Sep 28, 2009 9:38 AM (in response to MCM Ron)

Like Ike - I will also be cheering my little heart out for all you still running.

Side note for those running: If you need anything during the race, let us (me) know what and when  and we (I) will find a way to grab it for you and have it ready when you need it!  I know last year there was a big group of cheerers just before the bridge and had given them lots of goodies for me and it was a tremendous help!!

• Julie95300 Expert 54 posts since
    Apr 8, 2009
    14. Sep 28, 2009 9:59 AM (in response to MCM Ron)

Ron,

Indeed! It is Julie from the Steeps.

I am thinking about the Frederick events myself. Not sure if I want to do the half or full.

~julie

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points