Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

21092 Views 196 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2009 3:17 PM by Kali.Queen RSS Go to original post 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 Previous Next
  • TessGump Amateur 21 posts since
    Sep 10, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    105. Sep 28, 2009 8:03 AM (in response to Sindi3979)
    Re: Starting c25k on 9/14...any takers?

JulieD6367:  You can do this!  Go JulieD!  I'm married to the military and I know how difficult it can be when Hubby is out of town.  I think it is more difficult to do the single-parent thing for a short time because you don't have time to make a new routine before the old one comes back.  Take the day off, wear the kiddies out, get some good rest, and get your run on tomorrow!

In the past, when I was trying to start an exercise program or start running again, if I had just one off day I would use that as an excuse to stop.  Or to start over-which I never did. I'm learning to be forgiving towards myself and to recognize that it took a long time to put the weight on and get out of shape.  So I need to give myself  the proper time to take off the weight and improve my fitness.  The hard part is reaching the level of fitness that I want. Once I'm there the maintenance will be easier and more enjoyable.

• MyBoyBlue Amateur 13 posts since
    Jan 16, 2009
    106. Sep 28, 2009 8:04 AM (in response to TessGump)

TessGump - Thanks! I just re-started the 30 day shred last week but I am determined to make the whole 30 days this time.

It also probably helps that the lot I park in is a block and a half away from the building I work in.  That and I work on the 4th floor and I am terrified of the elevator.  I think it is the original one put it with the building about 50 years ago.

Basically I am on a mission.  I am finally only 1 pound away from being within the normal weight range.  I would like to be in the middle of that range but I am trying to take one step at a time.  But more importantly, I need to get my body fat percentage down - it is way too high.  The mistake I have made in the past is jumping right into everything.  This time I introduced one thing a week and as a result don't feel too overwhelmed or burnt out.  I still need to work on my motivation to get up in the morning, I have learned it is easier for me to just get it out of the way than to try and do it when I get home.  I also like running the tow path that runs between a canal and river through the woods, which probably isn't a good idea in the dark. 

Tomorrow is my first day of W3.  I made my own playlist and hope it keeps me pumped.  I am definitely nervous about the 3 min run but trying to keep a positive attitude.

Best of luck to everyone and I look forward to your updates.  (Sorry if I rambled a bit today)

• Kali.Queen Pro 121 posts since
    Sep 15, 2009
    107. Sep 28, 2009 8:20 AM (in response to Sindi3979)

Good news for those of you that might be intimidated by the longer running of week 3 .... I did it last night and it really wasn't bad at all! I was so sure I couldn't make the full 3 minutes, but then as I got going and started daydreaming the minutes flew by and I was still feeling like I could keep going. Looking back at the end of the run I realized I had an easier time doing 3 minutes than 90 seconds. I think I mentally know the 3 minutes will be long so I brace myself for it, but I expect the 90 seconds to go by fast and then it doesn't. I guess I just have to get my mind in the right spot and it works better for me! So if I can do it, you can do it, too!

• TessGump Amateur 21 posts since
    Sep 10, 2009
    108. Sep 28, 2009 9:39 AM (in response to Sindi3979)

Kali.Queen:  I agree that the 3 minutes wasn't so bad.  When I did W1 and W2, I thought of one 90-sec jog/60-sec walk as one interval.  Then after each one I would say "ok, X number of intervals left."  So even though the 3 minute jog was twice as long as last week, I didn't have as many to do!  This made it much easier, mentally, for me to do.  I'm looking forward to W3D2, D2 always feels the best for me.

Sep 15, 2009
    109. Sep 28, 2009 9:44 AM (in response to Sindi3979)

I like that thought - of putting it into intervals -- good idea! So really we just do TWO intervals on Week 3... piece of cake!

For me night 2 always seems the hardest. I think I'm excited to start on night 1. Night 2 is just so-so, then I really want to challenge myself and I do my best on the 3rd night ... at least that's how the first two weeks went!

• hokeygirl Amateur 16 posts since
    Sep 18, 2009
    110. Sep 28, 2009 1:23 PM (in response to Sindi3979)

Okay, I am so glad to hear that some of you are having those sneaky little doubts.  Me too!  I'm feeling stronger knowing I'm not the only one.  I went on a monster hike yesterday, so I am sore, but I still packed my workout clothes in the car and will hit the trail after work.  I'm determined!  Thanks everyone for sharing your support, it's just what I needed!

• Sdnoles1 Amateur 10 posts since
    Oct 26, 2008
    111. Sep 28, 2009 2:08 PM (in response to Sindi3979)

I totally get it!  I am a 45 year old Mom of one and with work, school and everyday life it is hard to stay motivated and to find the time to get in a workout.  I look at it this way, if I don't find the time and I don't find ways to stay motivated I wont be fit and healthy and I wont be setting a fit lifestyle example  for my son so that gets me movin!  My son joins me on my workouts alot of times and we have done charity walks together since he was 1 years old.  You can do this!!!

• pmerle00 Amateur 16 posts since
    Sep 25, 2009
    112. Sep 28, 2009 3:29 PM (in response to Sdnoles1)

All: I did W3D1 today and it honestly wasn't as bad as I was worried it would be. I have some tightness in my shins and calves, but I'll do some Namaste Yoga tonight to smooth things out. The first 3 minute jog interval really wasn't bad, the second was do-able, but I don't know that I would have been able to do a 3rd interval (yet!). However, that's what this program is for - right?! Taking steps to get to higher consecutive jog times?  Keep movin!

Sdnoles1: Aw, why did you have to mention school?    I've got one final research paper due tomorrow and another next Tuesday. I also was handed 2 more proposals today at work with deadlines looming already. My princess is keeping me busy too. It's that time of year! Buckle down and get to it - that's the only way to do it.  Great point about finding the time whether you think it's there or not.  That is so important for people who are juggling single parenthood, full time work and full time school, or even people who are just plain busy! No time is just another excuse, no matter how relevant it may seem.   

Jan 16, 2009
    113. Sep 30, 2009 4:13 PM (in response to pmerle00)

I tried to post yesterday but couldn't get on.

I had such a hard time getting out bed yesterday to run.  After hitting the snooze for 40 minutes, I told myself I would feel bad all day if I didn't just get up and do it.  I really had to push out the 3 min runs but I tried to just concentrate on the music and not think about it.  I did get to see a couple of deer which was pretty cool.  Usually when I see them I panic that they are going to run into the road.

• Sanveann Amateur 12 posts since
    Sep 20, 2009
    115. Sep 30, 2009 5:45 PM (in response to Sindi3979)

I did w3d1 today ... I had a little trouble with the 3-minute runs, but they weren't AWFUL, like I feared they might be! For the second one, I did have to stop and walk for a few seconds a couple of times to get my breath.

Calf and knees are still pretty painful ... I'm going to the doctor on Friday. I hope he isn't going to tell me to stop running for awhile

• pmerle00 Amateur 16 posts since
    Sep 25, 2009
    116. Oct 1, 2009 5:11 AM (in response to Sindi3979)

I did W3D2 yesterday. Not too bad, except that instead of doing 90-90, 3-3, 90-90, 3-3, I skipped the secnod 90 without noticing it, so I did 3-3-3-3, lol. I didn't notice it until I was 2 minutes into the second interval of 3 minutes jogging , so I just tacked the 90 second interval onto the back of that.

I have a question - do most of you do this outside or on a treadmill? Also, what's your average speed and distance? Just curious to see what everyone else is doing!

Jan 16, 2009
    117. Oct 1, 2009 7:32 AM (in response to pmerle00)

I am running outside right now, and I have no idea what my average speed or distance is.  I am getting a little nervous about the colder weather creeping in.  I do have access to a treadmill at work but I am only here 4 days a week so I have to figure out what to do for that third day.  Here is to hoping we have a mild winter.

I did W3D2 today.  I just did loops around my complex, which should be able to help me figure out the distance I am going.  Now if I can only remember how many loops I finished.

Sep 15, 2009
    118. Oct 1, 2009 8:34 AM (in response to MyBoyBlue)

I also run outside. This is the first week now that we are having rain and cooler weather. I did notice my body was a little slow to loosen up once I was actually outside and ready to run.  I don't know what it is, but every beginning run I have this pesky little limp. It goes away pretty quick, but its kind of annoying to feel like I'm putting out all this effort but not going anywhere.

I pulled up my first 2 runs for week 3 and I did 2.05 miles at about a 12 minute mile pace and 1.96 miles at an 11.44 minute mile. I have no idea if that is fast or slow. I feel like it seems so slow with all the warm up walking and 3 minutes of walking here and there. But I guess times will improve as we get farther along and start running more than walking, right?  For week 2 I did about a half mile longer, so that's probably partly why I feel like kind of a weenie for week 3. Oh well, I'll just keep using these numbers to challenge myself!

• hokeygirl Amateur 16 posts since
    Sep 18, 2009
    119. Oct 1, 2009 9:27 AM (in response to Sindi3979)

I run outside for the time being, but living in Seattle I realize that can't be too realistic heading into the colder/rainier months.  I will run outside even when it's lightly raining because I loathe my gym.  It's yucky but it's cheap.  I know that there is a difference in running outside vs. running on a treadmill.  I read some article on Cool Running.com that had suggestions on how to increase your incline on the treadmill to make it more like running outside, so I may try that when I'm forced inside.  As for my time and distance, my Nike+ iPod thingy says that I'm running/walking an average of 14:21 per mile (includes the warmup and cooldown) and my average distance is about 2.14 miles.  I have noticed that week 3 is shorter than week 2 by about 4 minutes overall, thank God for small favors.

Happy Running Everyone!

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...