Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

910 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 2, 2009 3:47 PM by themamamonster RSS
JillTrainer Rookie 1 posts since
Sep 28, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 28, 2009 11:16 AM

couples with children training

Looking for suggestions from couples who have young kids on how they train together. We have a 17 mos old and are looking to start running. Do most of you just run with your children in a stroller?

• JimFive Expert 39 posts since
    Apr 8, 2008
    1. Sep 28, 2009 11:19 AM (in response to JillTrainer)
    Re: couples with children training

When we run together we use a jogging stroller, regular strollers don't work very well.  Our other strategy is to not run at the same time.  I'll get up and go for a run and then my wife will go while I get ready for work.  If everything goes well the munchkin stays asleep until my wife is back and ready for the day.

--

JimFive

• alohakt Amateur 9 posts since
    Apr 25, 2008
    2. Sep 28, 2009 12:18 PM (in response to JillTrainer)

My husband's been deployed for a year, so I've been running on my own without the benefit of tag-team running.  I run with a running stroller.  My daughter's been in one since she had head control, so she's pretty used to it by now.  This past weekend we ran a 25K race and she made it the whole way (she's almost 2).  When my husband and I do run together, he usually pushes the stroller since that slows him down and I'm already pretty slow!  Maybe start with some shorter distances and let your kiddo get used to being in there?  On longer runs I make sure I stash juice and snacks in there so I can keep her entertained for hours at a time.  I tried small toys but she likes to throw them out when she's done. ;o)  Maybe borrow a friend's jog stroller to try it out?  If you're serious, invest in a stroller that you really like.  They can get pretty expensive, but if you use it regularly like I do, it's well-worth the money!

• meganmah Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 18, 2009
    3. Sep 28, 2009 1:31 PM (in response to JillTrainer)

Hi! Welcome to the world of running with a baby! It's TOUGH! My husband and I usually do what the other post said and tag-team our workouts. It's not ideal because we used to cherish our workout time together. So we started running shorter distances with our 15 mo old in a jogging stroller. We have  BOB revolution and highly recommend it. The only issue we've run into is keeping our baby happy the whole time. She also throws toys out of the stroller when she's done with them and just doesn't have a lot of patience sitting while we run. I've started running with my iPhone without the headphones so she can listen to the music and that has helped a lot! Plus my husband can benefit from the tunes as well. If you get any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

We've also wondered how families do races with children. So often I see the dad running and the mom and kids on the side line cheering him on. That's nice and all, but I'm a mom who likes to race too! Does anyone have advice for that?

• JimFive Expert 39 posts since
    Apr 8, 2008
    4. Sep 28, 2009 2:03 PM (in response to meganmah)

meganmah wrote:

We've also wondered how families do races with children. So often I see the dad running and the mom and kids on the side line cheering him on. That's nice and all, but I'm a mom who likes to race too! Does anyone have advice for that?

Short answer:  babysitter.  They can even come to the race, if it's a 5k it's only a half hour or so, (maybe an hour depending on the schedule).  My next race is near my parents' house so they'll be watching the munchkin while my wife and I race.

--

JimFive

• alohakt Amateur 9 posts since
    Apr 25, 2008
    5. Sep 28, 2009 3:27 PM (in response to meganmah)

You have to sometimes be careful in races with the stroller, because not everyone is always welcoming (and, sadly, for good reason).  I am very cautious and don't want to run anyone over (I've gotten clipped by strollers in the past...pre-baby), so I always start in the back.  I'm not the speediest runner ever, but I have to just be patient until space opens up for me to get past the walkers and slower runners.  You just have to be considerate and understand that you may not PR with the stroller due to it slowing you down, or you slowing down for others in your way.  I think it's great to see whole families together at the races.  Sometimes my husband and I would trade off with who pushed the stroller so one could really race at top speed (that would be him), and sometimes we'd run together.  Right now I'm running them all just me because he's gone.  I'd love the babysitter option, but the races around here start early (6am) and I have to leave home by about 5am to get there in time.  I don't have family nearby and feel guilty subjecting friends or other sitters to that kind of a wake-up call!  If you both want to race, then do it!  I know my husband can't wait to get back home and do races with us--we enjoy being together, but we also hope to somehow give our daughter the right start in life by knowing that we can exercise and have fun, too!

As for strollers and things, I started running with a Baby Jogger.  I really liked it, but it took a "beating" when we starting using it as a beach stroller, too.  Last fall I bought a BOB Ironman and LOVE IT!  It's a fixed wheel, which some folks don't like because of turning, but I like that I don't have to worry about it veering away on straight-aways.  I also like it for the next baby, since it reclines much further than the Baby Jogger does.  So as long as you're careful and the doc says it's okay, you can start putting baby in earlier.  With our Baby Jogger I had to wait until she had more head control since she was basically sitting up.

I like the idea of music.  I ran this past weekend with a mom who had a bike trailer/jogging stroller, and it was totally enclosed with mesh windows and stuff.  Her little girl (3.5 years) had snacks in there, a small DVD player, and enough space (it was a double) to lie down!  Not a bad deal to keep her busy while mom ran 15 miles!

You see more and more running mommies on the courses these days.  I'm signed up for a marathon training series of races and there are quite a few moms in the longer distances (even half-marathons) who cruise pretty well behind the strollers.  I'm not one of them, but I'm awfully proud to get out there and listen to the alphabet song for a few hours!

Enjoy your runs, everyone!

• themamamonster Amateur 12 posts since
    Sep 8, 2009
    6. Oct 2, 2009 3:47 PM (in response to alohakt)
    We don't own a jogging stroller so my husband & I have to go at separate times.  Our son is 3 year old.  I think I like not running w/ my husband since I know he is tons faster than I am.

Jenni

Currently training for a 10K and half marathon
    Best 5K time: 38:02

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points