NEED HELP?|

2898 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Sep 30, 2009 6:46 AM by BetsyNoxon
Lorraine 60270 Rookie 3 posts since
Sep 7, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 21, 2009 1:28 AM

Swim Endurance

Hi,

I am new to triathlon at the tender age of 43 and working to the sprint triathlon training programme - the running and cycling are not a problem, but I am struggling with the swimming and making the distance or time in the training schedule.  Does anyone have tips on how to improve my endurance - I can bilateral breathe, and i have good upper body strength - but the prospect of 1500 metres and 2100 metres leaves me feeling totally defeated before I start.  Ive tried to go in feeling really positive, but swimming lengths to make the distance I am  just struggling - can anyone help with advice on how to build the swim endurance and to get my speed up?  Thanks in advance.  Lorijay

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Sep 21, 2009 6:36 AM (in response to Lorraine 60270)
    Re: Swim Endurance

what seems to be the issue?  are you jumping to these distances or slowly building up? and for a sprint why would you need to swim 2100 M all at one time?

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• Amigold Legend 187 posts since
    Nov 14, 2007
    2. Sep 21, 2009 8:43 AM (in response to Lorraine 60270)

Try minimal kicking, or barely any kicking at all. It realy worked to help me on long endurance swims.  The leg muscles are your biggest muscles in your body and using them will tax your energy very fast.  As your endurance increases you can slowly bring your kick back into play but don't be in a great rush on that.

Also, make sure you are swimming correctly and are floating easily as you swim; I recommend the Total Immersion videos or book to help establish a good swimming technique where you aren't just relying on upper body strength to bull your way through a long swim.

Terry/Amigold

• carol40 Amateur 207 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Sep 21, 2009 11:08 AM (in response to Amigold)

Hi Lorraine -- what Joe and Terry said. I'm curious too why you are swimming such long workouts for a sprint.  The advice that Terry gave is excellent and has helped me tremendously.  Cycling and running are all about faster, stronger, push through it, etc.  Swimming is about relaxing in the water, body position, minimizing resistance and eliminating wasted movement.  Trying to power through it does not work.  Believe me, I tried!  

I'm 43 also, and after about 6 weeks of trying to swim my (very short) race distance without stopping, I finally did it last week, and all of a sudden could keep going.  I did exactly what Terry recommended, and it finally seems to have "taken".  So be patient with yourself and look up the Total Immersion videos online.  Incorporating everything in TI would take some time, and I haven't done the drills per se.  But just the concepts have helped so much.  Before I start swimming, I practice really relaxing in the water...just push off and glide several times, checking my body position.  I have also found that it helps me to warm up prior to swimming with a short bike ride.  Maybe that's mental, but whatever works.  Oh, and I was trying to force myself to do the bilateral breatheing thing.  Maybe it works better for you, but I think that was putting too much pressure on this swimming newbie.  Now, I do that some of the time, do 3 strokes and breathe on my strong side sometimes, and breathe every other stroke if needed.

Hope that helps!  You are not alone. 

• Marzipan16 Pro 59 posts since
    Dec 19, 2007
    4. Sep 21, 2009 9:05 PM (in response to Lorraine 60270)

Correct me if I am reading this wrong, but it sounds like physically you can do 1500/2100m; however, the idea of swimming 1500+ meters in a pool seems overwhelming.  If that's the case I wouldn't hop in the pool and just pound out 1500 meters from the start, rather break up the distance so it's easier to digest mentally.  For instance, do 10 x 100's with a 15 sec rest in between each 100m, and then end on a speed workout doing 10 x 50's with a 10 sec rest in between each 50m.  It will break up your workout, help you increase speed (like a tempo run), and seem less daunting.  Give it a try.

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    6. Sep 22, 2009 7:06 AM (in response to Lorraine 60270)

how long is your sprint? usually they break swims up into 50yd or 100yd sets but even then starting out at 1500yd for a sprint seems a bit much. good call w/ the total immersion and classes and fantstic bike speed. keep us posted on your progress

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• grid-rider Legend 235 posts since
    Sep 5, 2009
    7. Sep 22, 2009 7:33 AM (in response to Lorraine 60270)

Stop reading and have fun...plan a course similar to the sprint and do it @ 90%.  Read your time splits and stretch

• Ben516 Rookie 3 posts since
    Sep 28, 2009
    9. Sep 28, 2009 12:44 PM (in response to Lorraine 60270)

Hi Lorijay,

No more talk of being a rookie at age 43. I did my first sprint in August at the real tender age of 58.

Ben

Ben
  • IronMakeover Community Moderator 738 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008
    10. Sep 29, 2009 7:45 PM (in response to Lorraine 60270)

Hi there Lorijay,

Wow! You live off the coast of France on an island!!! Totally jealous. I went to France as a kid. My best friend was Scottish & I got to go on vacation with her family. I still can't believe my parents put me on a plane overseas when I was just 11!

Elite Training Bible Coach Jim Vance did a swim clinic in Madison a few weeks ago. I wrote a couple of articles that may help you.

http://ironmakeover.blogspot.com/2009/09/finding-length-swimming-with-coach.html

http://ironmakeover.blogspot.com/2009/09/swimming-hammer-free-tools-for-speed.html

Keep up the good work! Sounds like you have a great base of power!

Sara

Sara Cox Landolt

http://www.ironmakeover.blogspot.com/

• BetsyNoxon Rookie 4 posts since
    Sep 30, 2009
    11. Sep 30, 2009 6:46 AM (in response to Lorraine 60270)

I just completed my 5th tri at the Danskin in Chicagoland this past Sunday. Great race! I've been training the past 2 years with a top-notch swim coach - who just went to World's in Australia. She was first out of the water for her age group! Anyway, I take her advice and work on swim technique with every swim work-out. Sounds like you might be missing something with your technique, therefore tiring out quickly. Remember to be streamline and rotate your hips, head down helps keep your hips up.

You might want to have 1 or 2 swim lessons - this will go a long way. Do some drills with every work-out: catch-up (hands meet in front before you start another stroke), finger drag drill (keep elbow high), side balance drill, closed fist, counting strokes so you glide as much as possible. Build speed as you swim some 100's and/or sprint a 25 or 50 etc...And YES, break down your work-outs in 100's, 50's and 25's....this makes it more interesting and fun, too!  

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points