Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

13659 Views 89 Replies Latest reply: Feb 10, 2010 1:08 PM by XYankeeInMS 1 2 3 ... 6 Previous Next
SassafrassaGSO Pro 108 posts since
Jul 21, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 28, 2009 6:13 AM

727s Flying On

Good Morning 727s! And welcome to our Graduation Thread! I hope that this group can continue to inspire and motivate each other to reach new goals in our running future.  I'm excited by all the possiblities.  I will be posting a link to this new thread on our C25K thread, so that anyone who wishes to stay with the group should be able to find us. Sorry I didn't get this up earlier...but I just got back from my run.

OCNic--How did your last run of the program go?  Do you have a graduation event coming up?

Fishsuit--Glad you're back!  Congratulations on finishing up the program, and good luck on your upcoming 5K event.

Monica--Down from your runner's high yet? 

I did a 3.1 mile run this morning in about 37:45.  Slow. Wonderful weather this morningmid 50s and sunnyvery low humidity.  With such lovely temperatures I should have run fasterbut I am recovering from weekend warrior syndrome, so I don't feel too bad about it.  (My sweetie is a maniac, and he took me on an advanced ride up in Caswell County NC.  It was gorgeous, but there were some seriously long grades to climb. Talk about sucking wind!! Good aerobic trainingmaybe the hills will get easier.) The run itself felt pretty good, but my knees and quads were really twingy from that tough bike ride yesterday.  Once they warmed up they felt fine, but when I first started I doubted I could run the full 3 miles on my schedule for this morning. 

Okay--question to start off our new thread.  Where is everybody going from here?  Are you going to continue training?  If so, have you decided on a plan or event to keep you motivated?  I've decided to do the Hal Higdon Novice 10K training next, and do a few events over the coming months. I haven't signed up for any other than the Gobbler on Thanksgiving, but I'm scoping them out. Then, depending on my knees, I am looking at a half marathon for next fall.  Past that, I don't even want to think about!  Full marathon?  That scares the dickens out of me. Could I possibly run for that long??

I'm going to DC this week, but will be running my miles there.  I just won't be able to post again till Friday, unless I can figure out how to log in from my Blackberry.  Have terrific runs this week, ya'll.  Let's keep flying low and slow!

Sara

"The difference between a jogger and a runner is an entry blank." 
-George Sheehan

• DDRKatie Amateur 24 posts since
    Jul 29, 2009
    1. Sep 28, 2009 6:46 AM (in response to SassafrassaGSO)
    Re: 727s Flying On

Hello everyone! Thanks for starting this thread Sara!  Hello fellow graduates!  My current running plan is a mix between Hal Higdon's 8k and 10k training plans to build up to a 5 mile race on Thanksgiving Day.  I am starting on week 4 of the 8k plan, which is similar to week 1 of Hal's 10k training program!  I am not sure if I will build up to 10k or stay at 8k once I get there to prepare for the race.  I am still rather slow and am hoping to shift to gaining speed once I get enough mileage! 

I still have a running partner, who is also my husband.  He likes running with me, but hasn't caught the running bug yet.  I am hoping that he will catch it so that he too is drawn to run.  So far whenever I get up at 5 am to run he still goes out the door with me, but when I mention possibly training for a Half Marathon in April next year he thinks I am crazy.  He has commited to run with me in the 5 mile Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving Day.

Besides my running plan, I am currently focusing on adding in cross training and strength training.  I plan to check out a weekly yoga class on Tuesday night if I can get in, and start strength training Wednesday morning with my 2 mile run.

PRs

5k - 33:00

My Running Blog

• OCNic Amateur 36 posts since
    Aug 12, 2009
    2. Sep 28, 2009 10:02 AM (in response to SassafrassaGSO)

Sara, thanks for starting our new thread!  I had a great "graduation" run on Saturday morning.  The weather was sunny but cool, and everything about it just felt right.  I slowed my pace a bit at the end and felt like I had more in the tank, so I pushed it to 36 minutes.  My husband stopped at minute 30, and I turned around and waved at him and just went for it.  It was wonderful, great and so many superlatives! 

That night my neighborhood had a block party, and it turned out to be a great way to celebrate "graduation."  They had a frozen bellini maker, which proved to be both delicious and extremely dangerous.  At some point we ran out of champagne and the bellinis turned into some scary vodka concoction.  Note to self: never mix vodka with a bounce house.  I think the adults had more fun in the bounce house than the kids . . .  The kids went to bed and the adults took over.  I don't really remember much after that, though my husband said I had a great time!

Most of Sunday morning was spent in recovery.  By around 5pm, I felt like a complete bump on a log, so I convinced the husband to go running with me.  Not such a great idea.  The run itself was just ok.  I had a difficult time relaxing my arms and shoulders (probably booze-induced), but I slowed down and just ran for time instead of distance.  It was after the run that the pain started.  My tendon near my left knee got very sore immediately after I stopped.  At first I tried to walk it out a bit, but the dull throbbing wouldn't stop.  After icing it and taking a hot shower it felt better, and this morning it feels a lot better.  I do think I'm going to take a few rest days and just do some swimming.  I have a swim meet coming up this Sunday and my first 5k race the following Saturday.  I am going to focused on long and easy swims and runs while not overdoing it.

As for where I am going from here when it comes to running, I still don't know.  I am waiting until after my 5k on October 10 before starting anything new.  Both the 10k and 1-hour runner sound good for different reasons.  My husband wants to move toward the 10k with the end in mind of training for a half marathon next spring/summer.  I don't know, though.  Right now I am still in semi-shock and amazement I've made it this far.  I'm kind of enjoying the moment . . .  

C25K: July 27 - September 26, 2009

First 5k race October 10, 2009

• XYankeeInMS Expert 42 posts since
    Aug 6, 2009
    3. Sep 28, 2009 1:11 PM (in response to OCNic)

Hey 727s!  Looks like we ARE flying on!

Dadio, OCNic, Sara, YoYo - thanks for your kind words about my crazy graduation post...I have reread it myself a few times, and it still makes me laugh out loud!  I even posted it on my Facebook status and have gotten lots of comments from my friends and family...(who already know I'm certifiable) in addition to making me LOL, every time I read it, I feel this sense of 'shock and awe' that this is by and about ME! Wow!

OCNic - LOL, so now you know about the running with a hangover lesson, once is enough for ANYONE (or else stay away from evil vodka bellini wannabees)! But seriously, I hope that your knee is ok.  BTW do all of y'all have this new sense of awareness of injuries (running or non?) if I so much as stub a toe, I panic that it might prevent me from running!  I've even taken to wearing shoes more around the house to protect my runner's feet....go figure!

Sara - YES I'm still 'flying' on my runner's high... I did my first 5K on Saturday morning (well, my first real, running, post-C25K 5K) Back in July most of my rather large family impulsively did a 5K as a group, I eeked out a combination of walking, running, and sheer determination and finished in 40:18 back then.  A week later I could barely run for 2 minutes --- there is definitely something to be said for sibling rivalry )

Anyways, back to THIS Saturday, while both my friend Lisa and my sister Chris have been training at the same time as me, neither of them has been using C25K.  My sister basically just runs a little farther every day.  Lisa, who is mid-way on a journey to lose around 100 pounds, has been running intervals on a treadmill.  She runs as long as she can, then walks to recover.

We all decided to do this 5K in New Albany MS, which is about 1 1/2 hours from where we live.  Well - we had to leave home at the proverbial butt-crack of dawn, and it was raining BUCKETS, but the forecast said early morning showers, clearing by mid-morning.  The race was at 8:30, so we decided to chance it.  Lisa and I rode together, while my sis was riding with her hubby.  All the way down we texted back and forth, joking about drowning, canoe racing, etc.  My hubby called and asked if I was going to race to win it, I said NO, I just want to finish! Lisa said if the three of us were the only ones crazy enough to show up in this %^&*$ monsoon, I might win it after all!

When we got to New Albany, it was raining even harder, in places there was 6-8 inches of water in the road!  We finally found the 'old' downtown and saw two women on a golf cart who looked like they might know what was up.  I asked if the race was going to be cancelled due to the weather, they said NO WAY, so we found out where to register, got ABSOLUTELY SOAKED while we did so.  We ran back to the van, and since we already had our t-shirts we briefly discussed taking our shirts and heading for home, after all, who would know???? Our families don't know enough to check the race results online (not yet anyways)  BUT really, we WANTED to do this, wet or dry.  We were already going to be wet from sweat about 5 minutes into the race, right???  We discussed our goals, mine was to finish in 33:00 (a nice round number, and if DDRKatie could, I could, right??)  my sister's was to stay with me, Lisa's was to finish in less than 1 hour.  What we didn't do was factor in the type of course we would be running.....I copied this text today from the race website: "This challenging 5K begins on the Tallahatchie River Bridge in historic downtown New Albany. The hilly course is sure to be one you'll want to run for years to come! If you enjoy a challenge, come on! This course is for you! " 

Hold on!  we didn't say anything about wanting a challenge, and for sure we didn't ask for hills!  Well, we found out, they were NOT KIDDING.  Thankfully, the rain stopped about the time we arrived at the starting line.  There were a LOT (350+) people there!  Way more than we expected....There were 8 or so guys warming up who were obviously some kind of military/enforcement dudes...they were all wearing camo pants, grey tees and combat boots.  I figured that I would run behind them...if they were running as a group, I thought they would pace themselves pretty well, and the 'scenery' wouldn't be too bad either! )    HA! They were slower than Christmas!  I was falling asleep on my feet!  I didn't have music slow enough for their pace on my mp3 player, so I passed those bad boys (with a last glance at the view, gotta love a guy in uniform!)

The first third of the race was pretty flat, then it got hilly, then it got really hilly, then it got ridiculous!  I'd be running up a hill, looking at the crest thinking, "Finally!" only to get there and find out the course turns to the right and goes uphill some MORE!  I did manage to run up all of them, but on the last three I had to walk at the top for 15-20 seconds, just to catch my breath.  Then the last quarter mile was a long gradual decline, what a relief...but it SO ****** me off when all of these KIDS (and I mean kids under 14 yrs old) came whizzing by me, sprinting to the finish line.  I so was jealous, I wanted to sprint too!  But I was also TIRED!  I did manage to pick up the pace a bit, and crossed the finish line at a slow run, but definitely NOT a shuffle ;0)

My time was 33:41! And considering the hilliness of the course, and the slickness of the wet pavement I was more than happy and satisified with that.  My sister finished in 35:42 and Lisa in 51:10.  All in all, a great time was had by each of us, and I'm ready to do it again.  Well, I do when my calves recover.... I guess running up those hills was a little more than my calves could handle, they are sore, honestly they kinda feel like they are disconnected from my legs, like they wobble with each step I take, and the cramps I had in them last night were ferocious! 

To top it all off, when I checked online today, I found out that I finished 2nd in my division (women 45-49).  Not too bad for this ex-fat girl, ex-smoker, NEW runner!  I can't wait to do it again! 

So what are my plans for the future and running?  We (me, daughters, sister, sister in law, friend) are registered for the Race for the Cure in Little Rock on 10/17, and some of us are considering a local Habitat for Humanity 5K the following weekend.  I am having long overdue surgery on my nasty varicose veins in early November, so will be sidelined for a little while, but plan to be back for a 5K for St Jude's Children's Hospital in early December.  I'm also going to start the Higdon 10K training for novices this week. 

Still smoke-free in Mississippi, wishing glorious runs to all!

p.s. I'm attaching before and after race pics, unfortunately I don't have any 'crossing the finish line' pics, and we were so soaked from the rain before that you really can't tell which is before or after except maybe the smiles are bigger after!  I'm the one in the yellow hat.

Monica

Attachments:

http://shewhorunsamok.blogspot.com/

"It doesn't get easier, you just get stronger"

C25K - July 27 - September 23, 2009

C25K - started again on March 22, 2012

• dadio91 Expert 40 posts since
    Jul 27, 2009
    4. Sep 30, 2009 7:46 PM (in response to XYankeeInMS)

Hey 727s!

Just a quick post to check in.  I have been grounded with a bad cold for a week which kept me from my graduation run.  I finally pushed myself out the door tonight with some trepidation but it was a really great run.

I see I've got some reading to do (quite the epic tome there Monica!).   Thanks Sara for creating this thread.  I hope all of the 727 alums and new friends/posters join up and post their post C25k progress and stories.

• mrsphong Amateur 14 posts since
    Sep 16, 2009
    5. Sep 30, 2009 10:31 PM (in response to dadio91)
    thank you...........

World Net - The Gioi Net

Healthcare

Jul 29, 2009
    6. Oct 1, 2009 4:59 AM (in response to SassafrassaGSO)

Hello everyone!  I was going to post yesterday morning, but the boards were under construction!  I did my first attempt at speed training yesterday morning.  I thought I'd try tempo running, but in 3 minute intervals to first build up to it.  It was tough.  I think I will try it again next week and see how it goes.

This morning I got up and did some strength training.  My first time!  I took it slow with soup cans for weights!  (I am an upper body weakling!  Probably 3/5 eight year olds could beat me in an arm wrestling match.)  I also did some squats.  No fun, but I can definitely feel some sluggishness in my legs now!  Hopefully they are ready to go tomorrow morning for another run!

Monica - 33:41 on hills!  Way to go!  I love your story!  I would have been so worried about the rain!

Dadio - I hope you are feeling better!  I got a cold two weeks ago and didn't run also (Although I only had the cold for 3 days).  Afterwards, when I ran for the first time, I felt so much energy!  It was weird!

Nichole - Your husband's want to move on to a HM, and your reluctance to think that far in the future reminds me of my situation with my husband!  I want to start making plans for a HM in April and he thinks I am nuts!

Keep up the good work (and enthusiasm) everyone!

PRs

My Running Blog

Aug 12, 2009
    7. Oct 1, 2009 9:59 AM (in response to DDRKatie)

I told my swim coach about my pain and muscle tightness, and she recommends I take a break until after my swim meet this Sunday.  I plan to take her advice.  I tried running for a little last night - the tendon pain is gone, but it's still a little tight.  My quads are really tight and a little sore, too.  Nothing to worry about, but I think I'm going to focus on swimming until after Sunday.

*Monica, you looked GREAT!  Thank you so much for posting pics.  What a happy and excited smile on your face - it is getting me excited for my first 5k next weekend!  I hear you about being more aware of my body and injuries.  With each little ache and pain, my first thought is, I hope this isn't going to mess up my running schedule!

*Dadio, welcome back and get well soon!

*DDrKatie - Yes, my husband's and my situation is reversed!  The thought of a half-marathon makes me exhausted and wanting a full-body massage already.  I think I have it in me at some point, but for that I would like to find a local running group with similar goals.  My husband is great, but he will be playing soccer again soon so I'll need the support. 

Did you notice any changes to your profile after Active made its updates?  I noticed they were showing my full name instead of my screen name.  No big deal, but I thought it was strange that personal profiles would be affected.  Happy runs all.  If I don't drown this weekend I'll post a couple of swim meet pics. 

-Nichole

• XYankeeInMS Expert 42 posts since
    Aug 6, 2009
    9. Oct 2, 2009 8:23 AM (in response to OCNic)

Happy Friday 727s!

Dadio - I know, I'm sorry!  I just get so excited and this seems to be the group of folks who 'get' what I'm excited about.  And best of all, I can't actually see if y'all are rolling your eyes

I promise, this post will be MUCH shorter!  Are you completely recovered from your cold? I started to get a sore throat/swollen glands earlier this week, my daughter made me take C and Echinaicea and rest and I do feel better.... Have you decided on your post C25K plan?

DDRKatie - Weight training is da bomb!  Despite being a smoker and pretty much out of shape, I've always been pretty 'strong' for a girl, so weight training is one athletic thing I've always felt confident about.  Now that I'm doing it 'for real' I'm lovin' it.  I especially like what it has done for my arms. Keep it up, if you want quick results, go for higher weights, fewer reps.  (and don't worry about getting bulky, it is NOT going to happen)

OCNic - Thank you! I hope your first 5K is as much fun as mine was.  I just have such a strong awareness of the surreality of the situation... I spend a LOT of time thinking 'I don't freakin' believe I'm doing this!' and grinning from ear to ear.  I suppose that eventually the novelty will wear off, but for now, I'm just 'wallering all up in it'! (an appropriate southern phrase, hope it translates ok)

Sara - We've been missing you this week, hope your trip went well!

This week, I did two days of some version of tempo runs, trying to figure out 'what's next'.  Yesterday my daughter and I ran 1/2 mile (at the fastest pace I could maintain for that long) then walked 1/2 mile for a total of 3, with the very last quarter being close to a full out sprint. WOW! it was hard, but fun.  We ended at our mailbox, which just so happened to contain the AWARD that I didn't know I won at my 5K last Saturday.  God bless race coordinators who follow through and mail stuff like that out.  It totally made my week!

This weekend I have my ChiRunning workshop, I will let y'all know how it went on Monday.

Wishing everyone a great weekend and glorious runs!

Monica

http://shewhorunsamok.blogspot.com/

"It doesn't get easier, you just get stronger"

C25K - July 27 - September 23, 2009

C25K - started again on March 22, 2012

Jul 29, 2009
    11. Oct 5, 2009 10:54 AM (in response to SassafrassaGSO)

Hello everyone!  How is week 2 after graduating treating you?

This morning it was 42 degrees out!  We don't have official running pants yet, but we went for our run anyways.  I wore some loose fitting nylon pants and my husband wore shorts.  We froze!  We ended up cutting the run short because we were feeling ridiculously cold! Needless to say I went to Target and bought some running tights!  (I figure I will try out a cheaper brand before I spend lots of money on the fancy ones!)  Anyone else discovering this world of winter running gear?  I have been reading some helpful articles trying to figure out what I need and what sorts of material my gear should be. Any good deals found?  Husband and I did get some nice technical long sleeve running shirts from a thrift store.  Didn't see any decent pants there though.

Hoping to do my second tempo run and try out my new tights on Wednesday morning!

Sara - Awesome 5k time!

PRs

My Running Blog

• dadio91 Expert 40 posts since
    Jul 27, 2009
    13. Oct 5, 2009 8:08 PM (in response to SassafrassaGSO)

Hey everyone!  I'm still here but couldn't post!   For the past few days, no matter what browser I used or where I logged in from, the "reply" option would never be present for me.   It was sooo frustrating.  I did send an email to support this morning so maybe they cleared it up.

I was checking your posts daily, its been great to read your progress and stories.  As for me, I'm concentrating on just running the 5k distance, trying to push myself to go faster.  That's my motivation now -- to better my time each run.  I've dropped my 5k time from W9D1 @ 32:40 to tonight's run @ 29:15.  I was so psyched when I broke the 30 minute barrier, that's been my personal goal for awhile (since about week 6).  I've just been concentrating on lengthening my stride versus running "faster".  I definitely get winded and have very little left in the tank at the end.  My legs are very tight already tonight.

Brrr.. it is getting cold.  I've been wondering about cold weather gear as well.  Its usually in the mid to low 50's when I run.  I currently throw on two wicking shirts (either champion g9 from Target or Reebok) and that seems to work so far.  I've had good luck with the champion stuff from target, I use their shirts and socks but I didn't like their shorts.  I'll definitely need a long sleeve running top soon.

I guess I'll do one more run this week and then my first 5k race on Saturday.

Sara -- I hope you feel better, take it easy and rest up if need be.

Keep running 727s!

Aug 12, 2009
    14. Oct 12, 2009 9:42 AM (in response to dadio91)

I'm back after a 5-day running hiatus.  The swim meet yesterday was a blast.  I attached a couple of pics: one of the husband and me freezing (it was in the low 60s, I know, I know, but that's cold to a SoCal chicken like me), another of me nervous before my first race and then a live action shot.  It was a great day and there were swimmers there of all ages.  I met one of my teammates who is 88 years young and competed in the 200 backstroke; she was amazing!  If I can have half of her energy at her age I will be thrilled.

*Sara and Dadio, welcome back!

*Sara, I hear you when it comes to aches and pains and feeling winded.  When I have the bad days, I repeat my little mantra, Even the bad days are good days. . . It's probably a little corny, but helps me keep perspective.  Just think how good your next 5k run is going to feel.

*Dadio, you are really rocking it out on your 5k time.  That is so great.

*Monica, you must tell us about how your Chi workshop went this past weekend.

Thanks for the gear/clothing suggestions.  I just bought a pair of tight-fitting running pants this past weekend at a local sporting goods store.  I agree, Target is great for workout wear, too.  You can also find heavily-discounted clothing online.  There is a thread that goes into what to wear in colder climates for those of you who live in areas where it's starting to cool down.  I think I saw it in the Newbie Cafe.

Like Dadio, my first 5k race is this Saturday.  I ran 3.2 miles this evening and am hoping for at least one more run before the big day.

1 2 3 ... 6 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...