Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

103525 Views 590 Replies Latest reply: Apr 3, 2012 6:22 PM by Lorieann18031 Go to original post 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 40 Previous Next
  • Neal E Pro 99 posts since
    Jul 18, 2008
    Well, looks like we're back up. How's everyone doing? Back to work, training, new stuff in your life? It was cold, dark, and windy on the trail this morning, I almost got run over by a group of OSU Navy ROTC runners. There were about 3 packs of 6-8, some had little toe lights, but the last group was in the dark, and I mean that figuratively. Anyhow running in the dark in the woods can be dangerous. Branches had dropped on the trail as well as large green balls, I think they are the outer shell of some type of nut. I was barely picking them out with my head lamp before I stepped on them. I did not want to twist an ankle before the Marathon. It's now down to 2 1/2 weeks, and I'm excited, but a little concerned because I've only done 16 miles up until now. Big question is, do I do 18 or 20 on Saturday? Tomorrow morning is suppose to be 42 degrees. Burrrrr!

- I keep company with fast women-Neal

• piprun1 Amateur 21 posts since
    Jul 31, 2009

Hello Everyone!  Guess what I did this morning????  Yep!  I walked.  Only about 1 mile - no big deal for our experienced walkers, but a big deal for me!  Thank goodness for cooler weather, it was much more enjoyable!!  I also wore my curved soled shoes (got them from Foot Solutions, brand is chung shi) and had no knee pain at all!!!!  I think I walked a tiny bit faster than usual, but it still took me almost 30 minutes.  I've been trying to walk at least 4 laps on the indoor track at the gym too.  Sounds good, but it takes 10 laps to equal a mile.  Oh well!  lol!

I've been trying to eat healthier since I joined the gym.  My first weigh in/measuring is Oct. 9 (gulp!).  But I donated blood today and the blood pressure is already down a little bit.  From 141/90 to 137/84.  It'll get better and I will too!

Thought about ya'll while I walked and looked forward to posting my little steps.  Good walking to all!

Savannah

• Manda Clark Expert 46 posts since
    Nov 4, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    214. Sep 30, 2009 5:49 PM (in response to piprun1)
    Re: So do walkers just not talk to each other?

Hi all!  Looks like everyone is doing great.  Neal, I am always impressed with you.  Have fun on your long day.  When I would try to do a lot of miles is when I wanted to be faster.  I don't mind doing the miles, I just hate that it takes so long :-)

Savannah - congrats on getting a mile logged.  That is how it starts.  I have been busy so I am happy to log 2 a day the past couple days.  Those have been Dreadmill miles because the weather just isn't cooperating, and I am not good at being cold (why do I live in Utah again?)  A really big storm blew in last night and dropped the temps here.  It was about 90 yesterday(record high) and today the high was somewhere around 45 Brrrrrrr, Cold!  And wet and rainy.   But the treadmill isn't that bad.  I actually like it sometimes because it is springy, so my knees don't hurt as much after.  I can even put some jogging minutes in just to mix things up and change the heart rate a bit.

That is where I am.  Life is good and I am impressed with everyone.  I have been hunting around for a race, but they get pretty scarce around here once it gets cold.  Not sure I can travel far for a 5K.  Maybe I will have to create my own (just for me).  Also, I am trying REALLY HARD not to catch the flu/cold that is going around my office.  One guy was out last week and developed Broncitis(sp) and another was out this week with a really bad head cold.  I can feel myself catching it, so I will give myself some extra TLC and hope it stays mild.

Have a good week!

Mandi

Mandi

- “Don’t let what you can’t do interfere with what you can do.” Anonymous -

Jul 18, 2008
    215. Sep 30, 2009 7:49 PM (in response to Manda Clark)
    Savannah, you da woman! keep it. Mandi, Utah may be cold, but it is really beautiful; Zion, Moab, Arches, Oh my. You guys are really doing great. Susan, Your BP will keep dropping . Do I hear 120/80? Everyone, keep yourselves well. Dress warm, eat chicken soup, and sungle up to that someone special. I think I sound like the Grand but of the other gender. Seriously, take care of yourself. I want to hear the stories. Where's the rest of group? Jean emailed me, she's lost in blog land, I'm trying to get her back, but may not how to. Susan, can you help?

• Carollynn Amateur 19 posts since
    Jan 1, 2008

Hi everyone,

Neal good for you getting up and on your feet 0Dark hundred. Good luck with your Marathon.  Be safe.

Savannah, Keep up the good work. I also have a pair of "chung chi's" I can only wear them for a short walk before i have leg cramps.  Glad to see they work so well for yo.  I'll pray for cooler weather. Makes it easier for allof us to walk.Not too cold poor Mandi, stay warm and well.  Susan.  Keep up the good work you are such as inspiration to all. Like you I love Thor socks.  I keep promissing my hubby to get him a pir (he has to wait for an occassion)lol.  I was able to do a 3 mile was Sunday and 4 miles on Tuesday. Still haven't made it to 5 miles (lately) Suppose to do 8 miles Sunday. "Ouch". Well I am going to do 3 miles now. Happy Walking!! to all.

Carol

• mrsphong Amateur 14 posts since
    Sep 16, 2009
    you ever get the impression that runners think we aren't as important as them

World Net - The Gioi Net

Healthcare

Jul 18, 2008
    219. Oct 1, 2009 6:50 AM (in response to mrsphong)
    Phong Mac, welcome. You're are right, everyone feels they are somewhere on the pecking order, and runners(as many, not all) think we are far belooooooow  them. But I ones I know who have tried racewalking comment, they did not how difficult it was. Then said I don't know how you can do this for 10K, 1/2, or full Marathon. I read in a walking marathon thread,some jerk criticize walkers for not running. I wanted to respond, but then you figure the source, and why bother. Oh well. Susan, I secretly think you enjoy having your husband(spouse?) put pressure on you, and beat you some times. Were you able to get Jean back?  It was cold this morning, 36 degrees. I have these light gloves, not enough, my hands hurt when I was done w/my 5. Will have to go with heavier ones. Still can wear shorts, but need 2 shirts and a sweatshirt. Go figure. Oh yeah, my ears have to be covered, they're  too big not to be. Thought I heard Carol say, "yes, I can do 5". Please, let us know when this happens. We are all pulling for you.

• WalkCoachJean Expert 43 posts since
    Sep 9, 2009
    220. Oct 1, 2009 7:12 AM (in response to Neal E)
    Susan found me and got me back!!! Thank you, Susan!!!  It sounds like everyone is doing great....Neal, I think that it's really good to get in a 20-miler before the race.  Then spend AT LEAST 2 weeks tapering, if you can.  The week before the race should be used for rest (i.e., very few miles), hydrating and carb-loading. My Baltimore marathoners and half-marathoners will have their final training session on Saturday (7 miles for the full; 5 for the half)...then on to their race on October 10th!  I'll be out on the course with them (in my purple shirt and red crab hat, of course!) making sure they all make it across the finish line. Woo Hoo!!  I do want to say, for those of you who are starting back up with your walking....You GO!!  You don't have to do a lot of miles, what matters is consistency.  And remember, not every day is going to be great....Like I say to my peeps:  "Some days you eat the bear, and some days the bear eats you!"  I spent a really great weekend in Vermont....the leaves were about 35 to 40% turned.  I stayed with friends who have about 300 acres on a mountainside near Woodstock, VT. The views are spectacular! They make maple syrup, grow christmas trees and have a huge garden (that was just about done for the year.)  We got in some great hiking....those hills are really good for the glutes!  Glad to be back and thanks to Susan, re-joining the group..
  • Carollynn Amateur 19 posts since
    Jan 1, 2008

Hi all,

I did get my 3 miles in last night.  I promised myself to walk further tonight.  I belong to a runner/walkers group here in So. Cal. I always tell the runners I am here to make them look faster. lol.  I keep a 15 minute pace.  I didn't do much walking the last 6 months, so I am really behind in my training. I am signed up to do a 1/2 Oct. 18., I can change it to a 5k @ the last moment. I know I need to get my Miles up. I did the 5k in Big Bear a couple of weeks ago and that was fine but... a half a whole different story. Good walking to all. Hope your weather is your friend.

Carol

Jul 18, 2008
    222. Oct 1, 2009 8:47 AM (in response to WalkCoachJean)
    Jean, good to have back. Carol, like Jean said, consistancy is the key. Even when you don't feel like it. Do something! Sometimes we have to shut down, body in pain, sick, but go back ASAP. Will try to send pictures of London. We'll see.

1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 40 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points