Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

777 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 1, 2009 9:29 AM by kmkonkle RSS
kmkonkle Rookie 5 posts since
Oct 1, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 1, 2009 8:04 AM

New runner - injured!  Need advice, please.

I have been training for a half marathon that is on Octobe 18th.  Last weekend I did my long run of 10 miles on Sunday.  Ever since, I have been feeling the telltale pull of the IT band.  I have actually been afraid to run since because I don't want to face the fact that I am injured.  I am going to go out this afternoon and do about three miles just to see what happens.  I am planning on running 12 miles on Sunday.  I have worked way too hard to stop now.  Is there something I can do to prevent this from getting worse?  Any advice on stretchingor anything else that will help?  I normally run Tuesdays and Thursdays around 3 - 4 miles and a long run on Sundays which I have gradually increased over the last few months.  Can someone give me advice on training for the next three weeks so I can still do my half and not be in agony?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    1. Oct 1, 2009 8:16 AM (in response to kmkonkle)
    Re: New runner - injured! Need advice, please.

run on the flat

do a google search there is is good stretch where you cross your legs - **** your hip out and bend to the side - you want to stop after a mile and stretch

stop every 2 miles and make sure  your band is not starting to snap and irritate your knee - if it is you are done for the day

deep tissue massage

foam roll - front side back of legs and your butt

there is also a couple of stretches for your glutes you can do laying on the floor

If you are in pain after a run find a chiropractor that does active release therapy

you have run 10 miles - this is enough to get you through your race - better to get to the start healthy than drop out half way through. do NOT cycle - this is more annoying for your IT band than running

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• Jason Mayberry Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 13, 2009
    3. Oct 1, 2009 8:47 AM (in response to kmkonkle)

Kelly;

Here is a good website that has a training schedule for a half marathon and full marathon.  www.marathonrookie.com  I completed this training and ran my first half marathon in May.

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    4. Oct 1, 2009 8:50 AM (in response to kmkonkle)

a 10 mile long run is sufficient for training for a half - I did my first 3 or 4 halfs running 10 miles in training and then running 13.1 on the day - If you have the time and you are in good shape running 12 is good - BUT - if you are injured it is better to rest and be able to start the race in good shape.

If you go out this weekend to run chose a route that you can easily cut short - check yourself and if you start to feel pain stop running -

Is it 2 more weekends of training and then the weekend of the race you have ?

I would TRY for 12 if you feel good this weekend - but if you don`t make it - DO NOT WORRY - you have done enough to be able to finish the race

next weekend I`d run 6 miles

then race weekend

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• Diazhp Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    6. Oct 1, 2009 9:18 AM (in response to kmkonkle)
    Hi Kelly, clearly your IT band has become inflamed. If you don't have or have never used a foam roller. I think its time to invest in one. The first few applications are going to be unpleasant but after a few treatments things will begin to improve. If you have more in depth questions visit our site and hit me up. www.diazhumanperformance.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points