Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7595 Views 58 Replies Latest reply: Oct 2, 2009 1:23 AM by SierraLauren RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • SimonnR Pro 157 posts since
    Feb 4, 2009

KS there is a country song about how people are taller, younger, richer and better looking on the internet-quite amusing!

Bob, you get better at hills the same way you get to Carnegie Hall, practise!

This Sunday in Toronto is the Scotiabank Marathon, with Ed Whitlock and the slightly less well-known but locally famous Fauja Singh. Singh ran a 5:20 or something close to that in 2003-at age 92! He is now 98 years old and I would love to see him break 6 hours- that would be a good poke in the eye for all the celebrity dilletantes.

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007

Last semi long run before Portland next weekend.  14 miles.  1st 8 ez at 8:30 avg.   last 6 at 6:58 avg.

Probably run a short tempo Thurs but rest of week ez.

Have a good week/end all.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

I've had a tough week of travel, going from place to place, so haven't been here at all.  In one place I stopped, Youngstown, OH, I actually ran around the parking lot to get in 3 miles as I was right on Interstate 80 and nowhere to run safely.  Very happy to get 30 miles in this week under the circumstances.

Not sure when I will run today but it will be short and slow. Yesterday I did 7, including 6 x 800 with a 400 jog recovery, all at about 3:58.  Today I am working a water stop at a local half marathon for my club.

I am not at all introverted and if I was I wouldn't be very good at my job.  I teach people how to sell things, and I make presentations all day long before large groups, not the kind of work for a shy person.  Spareribs

• SierraLauren Pro 148 posts since
    Dec 31, 2008

Ribs, that's tough to find yourself on an Interstate and no where safe to run. Those parking lots do come in handy.

Bob, Simon and KS said it best about hills. I've found patience helps. You're going to slow down going up hills (even the small ones). But they make you stronger.

KS, sounds like you're ready for Portland. Good luck.

You sound like my brother, Ribs. He's an extrovert, and loves talking with people. I can be on the phone for hours with him, and once talked all day with him (literally--but we've had some great talks over the years) on a backpack trip while my husband and my brother's wife and daughter took a long day hike. He's switching careers from running his own business (lonely, long hours) to selling real estate. Much more aligned with his friendly nature.  I just read over your post about your race, and what a great run and post-race compliment. Congrats again.

This has been a good running week---mileage is still low, though. I've run 4.5 miles each day the last few days. Yesterday, the run was a little faster than previous days and more in line with my usual daily running pace.  I won't run long today. I have to go in to work for several hours.

Take care all.

Dec 31, 2008

Thanks for posting Joan Benoit Samuelson's half-marathon time, Fred. If I'm reading that right, she came in first in the 50-54 group. I'm going to check to see if there's video of her finish posted on the Net. She's inspiring.

• SimonnR Pro 157 posts since
    Feb 4, 2009

In the marathon I note that of the first 20 finishers 15 list home country as either Kenya or Ethiopia, one Qatar, one England , one Ukraine and one Canada (loud applause!)

The half was won in about 1:05 I think, Bernard Lagat was the winner, sort of a ho-hum time I suppose when you consider people run 59 minutes sometimes. These guys are in a different ball game ....Simon.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Finally a week at home to run and enjoy this cooler weather.  5.5 in 51 minutes on the dirt.  I had no energy after taking yesterday pretty much off (jogged a bit while walking the dog), but still got the run done.

One of the disappointing results, at least to me, from posting so much on the internet in various running forums is the number of "fans" I have attracted from all over the world.  It seems that every restaurant or hotel I go into, or client training room, or nightclub or race, I see some woman wearing one of these t-shirts.  It has gotten so my wife is very jealous.  I guess that is the price of fame.

Spareribs

Dec 31, 2008

Ah, Ribs, the price of fame. What's a person to do?

I ran 6 on Sunday, and 4 miles each day since. Today was especially slow, but as you said the other day Ribs, I got through it, and was glad to have it done. I have a lot going on right now in my life so I think it's impacting how I feel when I run. I've noticed that when energy/emotions are running full throttle, my energy in running slumps a bit. But, on those days, I just say, START, and I'm always feel better for the run.

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007

Is there another site we can all migrate to together?   I've been trying to find a reply button for 2 days. 

Leaving in an hour to drive to S.A. and then catch a flight to Portland.  Ribs we transfer in Dallas but have to come back thru Minneapolis.   Minneapolis is ok but just extra flying.

Temps for Portland Sunday morning look to be mid 40's and sunny.  Still uncertain of steady or gusts of wind.  No matter.  We will all conquer it.  I'll post my bib # and you can go to the Portland website to track me if you're so inclined.   Have a good one.   Oh yeah, it's 95° in C.C. today.  Good grief.

Dec 31, 2008

Good luck in Portland, KS! I had trouble with finding the "reply" button too. I used to click on the cool running link and be automatically logged in. Now, I realized I had to log in before the reply button would show up. I'm looking forward to your report. I'll look up your bib # as well once you post it.

Hope everyone is well.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...