Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

61302 Views 525 Replies Latest reply: Sep 29, 2012 11:04 PM by Couch2Trackula RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 36 Previous Next
  • breezelife Rookie 3 posts since
    Sep 23, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    45. Sep 30, 2009 10:12 AM (in response to Tika417)
    Re: Starting C25k tomorrow 9/29. Anyone want to Join?

Hi,

I just finished a five mile road run. My Achilles is aching so badly. This accurse whenever I run on the road instead of grass or trails. I really felt great, and I added 4 sets of 20 push ups. I just want to get past this periodic Achilles pain. I believe that I would progress much faster if I could find a way to resolve this. Does anyone have any suggestions to prevent this from occurring each time I run on a hard surface? I felt great otherwise!!!

Will

• lauraw721 Amateur 17 posts since
    Jun 26, 2009
    46. Sep 30, 2009 1:25 PM (in response to Tika417)
    Hello. I started Monday, 9/28. I'm a 26 year old stay at home mom to my 15 month old little boy. I'm determined to actually stick to exercising for one in my life, so feel free to harass me to keep me going . I'm using Robery Ullrey's podcast. I'm also using the website wellsphere.com. You can set up text alerts to remind you to run or workout, submit journal entries via text, and log your workouts by text as well. Good luck everyone!

Started C25K 9/28/09

"Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?'"
    - Peter Maher, Canadian marathon runner

• NewMom954 Rookie 6 posts since
    Sep 23, 2009
    47. Sep 30, 2009 2:08 PM (in response to Tika417)
    I just finished W2D1 and I feel great!! I was so worried about adding the extra 30 seconds to the run when I felt like I was going to die at the end of 60 seconds last week.  I was so excited to finish!!!  Keep going those of you on Week 1.  Week 2 isn't as scary as I thought!!!
  • jemjem Amateur 8 posts since
    Sep 28, 2009

Hi will run

Are you landing heel first?

That may be causing excession stress on your achilles.

I am not biomechanics expert by any means, but the research I have doen about injuries related to running suggest that the natural way to run is on the balls of your feet, rather than a heel first landing.

Just a thought

50-something fat nanna

Working on the fat but happy to be a nanna !

• jemjem Amateur 8 posts since
    Sep 28, 2009
    49. Sep 30, 2009 4:30 PM (in response to jemjem)

I really must use spell check!! Sorry about that previosu message.

Just back in from W1D2 - feeling great!

It was made harder because I rolled my ankle really badly yesterday and my biggest worry was would I be able to run today. I spent yesterday icing and wrapping it and it was sore but not too bad.

Funny enough, it got easier as I ran and I really wonder if the endorphin thing was working.....hmmm.

Anyway, two days down and only eleven and a half weeks till I can run 5 k!!

50-something fat nanna

Working on the fat but happy to be a nanna !

• PearsonFlyer Amateur 23 posts since
    Sep 29, 2009
    50. Sep 30, 2009 5:03 PM (in response to Tika417)

I finished W1D1 tonight, and I'm on my way.  As someone who really hasn't done much exercise in a long time, am I the only one who thought I was going to die right around the 3rd set?  I managed to break through it, but man, it was killing me.

I have to disagree about the ball of the foot landings.  Having read around the intarwebs to find out the best way to run, I've read that the best way is whatever is natural to you - heel first (the majority of people do this), center, or balls of your feet (very few people do this, except when sprinting, and it will contribute to exhaustion if done for long).  Don't force yourself to run in a way that's not natural.  Don't exaggerate your arm movements.  Keep good posture and keep your hands relaxed. (most of this you probably knew, but since most of us here are new to running, it's good info to remember and put out there)

Anyway, I'm ready for day 2 on Friday, but I sure hope it gets a little easier than today.

Good job to everyone else who is working on this, and your great progress!  It makes me think I can do it, reading your posts.

Started C25K on 9/29/09 in Buffalo NY

Lindsay's Legacy 5k 11/14/09 - 34:10 (11:00/mi)

Turkey Trot 8k 11/26/09 - 57:24 (11:33/mi)

Reindeer Run 5k 12/5/09 - 32:10 (10:22/mi)

Shamrock Run 8k 3/06/10 - 47:32 (9:29/mi)

Bengal Run 5k 3/20/10 - 27:30 (8:52/mi)

350.org Green Run 4.35mi 10/09/10 - 41:22 (9:31/mi)

Sarkin Memorial 5k 10/16/10 - 27:02 (8:42/mi)

• lauraw721 Amateur 17 posts since
    Jun 26, 2009
    51. Sep 30, 2009 5:17 PM (in response to Tika417)
    Just got back from W1D2. Great run aside from my son crying the whole time. Apparently 15 month olds don't like being confined to a stroller for 30 minutes - who knew? Let me tell you, a great motivator is being told by the park ranger over a mega phone that the park will be closing in 20 minutes and the gates locked when you are halfway on a 2.5 mile loop and have no idea how far away you are from the trailhead. That will definitely get you running faster.

Started C25K 9/28/09

"Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?'"
    - Peter Maher, Canadian marathon runner

• disneygal2 Legend 455 posts since
    Sep 30, 2009
    52. Sep 30, 2009 5:19 PM (in response to Tika417)
    I started today!  I did the Disney half marathon this past labor day weekend, but walked most of it.  I bought a Tshirt that says, 'In training Disney Marathon 2010" so I'm working towards being able to jog it all next year.  I do lots of hiking and walking but I am overweight so need to proceed slowly with the running so I don't injure myself.  I'm hoping to eat healthier and drop weight as well.   I will do day 2 on Friday.  I look forward to doing this program with all of you!     Jess

PRAISE GOD!!!

Couch to 5 K Graduation Day November 26, 2009

Dana Hills Turkey Trot  Thanksgiving Day 2009 5 K....  Time 32:22  MY FIRST 5k

Jan 9 Irvine 5k Time 32:52

Feb 7 Super Bowl 10k  1:08:31  MY FIRST 10K

September 5 2010  DISNEYLAND HALF MARATHON:  2:41:00

• shlinn Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 14, 2008
    53. Sep 30, 2009 6:40 PM (in response to Tika417)

Hi-

I would love to start the C25K...I will be starting tomorrow- Wednesday, Oct. 1.  Will this still work with your program schedule even though you started on 9/29/09?

Thanks,

sl

• deniden Amateur 24 posts since
    Sep 29, 2009
    54. Oct 1, 2009 4:32 AM (in response to shlinn)

SL-

If you start today, and run Thurs/Sat/Mon, you would still be on track with most of us, maybe just a day behind.

-----

Denielle

started 1st C25K on 09/28/09, completed program

re-started C25K on 10/10/11 at W4D1

• CentralNYJim Rookie 4 posts since
    Sep 30, 2009
    55. Oct 1, 2009 6:48 AM (in response to Tika417)
    I did W1D2 yesterday. Felt good. Had the track all to myself.  Legs are sore now. Plan to do day 3 on Saturday morning and start week 2 next Monday.
  • ErnstSuley Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 1, 2009
    56. Oct 1, 2009 3:52 PM (in response to Tika417)

I am doing W1D3 in a moment. I am an active person but running is not my forte, to say the least. It is going well though. Had a lot of soreness in the beginning but let's see how it goes today.

Do people experience weight loss doing this plan? I'm curious especially to hear from people who were already active but added this program. That and general fitness are my main motivations. Good luck, all.

• Sdnoles1 Amateur 10 posts since
    Oct 26, 2008
    57. Oct 1, 2009 4:39 PM (in response to Tika417)
    Ran day 2 yesterday 9/30.  Day 1 seemed alot easier not sure why only difference was day one I ran in the morning and day 2 I ran early afternoon.  Weather a little warmer and that may have changed things too.  Felt good though and getting ready for tomorrows run day 3.  Can't believe I can actually run a full minute!!  As a past smoker (I quit 7 years ago)  its taken quite a while to have that "I CAN take a deep breath" feeling!  It's that feeling that keeps me exercising and NOT smoking anymore!
  • jwsamuel Amateur 19 posts since
    Sep 28, 2009

I just got back from W1D3. Overall, day two was the easiest so far but day three was not so bad. My days are Sun-Tues-Thurs, so I have two days off until I start week two.

Jim

• Kassij Amateur 11 posts since
    Sep 23, 2009
    How is everything going so far? I need motivation to keep going too - so please harass me too! I've got little ones at home too - one just turned 2 yesterday and one is 3 1/2. I keep reminding myself that if nothing else, I get out of the house by myself for a little bit. 
1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 36 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...