Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

61087 Views 525 Replies Latest reply: Sep 29, 2012 11:04 PM by Couch2Trackula RSS Go to original post 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 36 Previous Next
  • Sdnoles1 Amateur 10 posts since
    Oct 26, 2008

Great job!!!  I am 45 and I am with you!  I have been power walking for over 3 years but wanted to get more out of my workout so I have started this program.

I am in W2D1 had to take it easy today nursing an old back muscle injury but I did not let that stop me from at least walking today!

• disneygal2 Legend 455 posts since
    Sep 30, 2009
    Well I have left age  40 in the dust  and snuck past age  50 as well.  The good news is the older I get the more fun adventures I have!   I finished wk 2 day 2 today.   I can relate to staying on the wagon.  I was so tempted to be a couch potatoe this afternoon and procrastinate the workout till tomorrow.  But tomorrow I have tennis league and so no excuses!  It went well. I mean really one can do anything for one half hour so let's do it!!    I pushed myself to really "run" during the running part and I got more laps around the one mile lake path in.  I have a long ways to go to be able to run the Thanksgiving day Turkey Trot 5k.. but I am one workout closer to being ready.  Happy trails everyone!    Jess

PRAISE GOD!!!

Couch to 5 K Graduation Day November 26, 2009

Dana Hills Turkey Trot  Thanksgiving Day 2009 5 K....  Time 32:22  MY FIRST 5k

Jan 9 Irvine 5k Time 32:52

Feb 7 Super Bowl 10k  1:08:31  MY FIRST 10K

September 5 2010  DISNEYLAND HALF MARATHON:  2:41:00

• SMARIETTA Legend 302 posts since
    Oct 3, 2009

this looks like a good group to join for me--------- I finish W1 tommorrow.

so far so good1

Age 47---235#--- have started running many times in the past---- but always  pushed too hard too fast---- I would go from ZERO to runnin 3 miles in 2-3 weeks and injuries would shut me down.

totally commited to laying the proper base this time----and really like how the C25K program seems to be IDIOT proof----which is exactly what a numbskull like me needs!

so far--- no problems with aches or pains. I really feel like I could jump ahead a few weeks in the program--- but I am refusaing to let myself skip any steps

Best wishes to ALL

Stephen

• jwsamuel Amateur 19 posts since
    Sep 28, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    78. Oct 6, 2009 4:58 AM (in response to Tika417)
    Re: Starting C25k tomorrow 9/29. Anyone want to Join?

I have a question for everyone.

I finished Week 1 and am about to start Week 2

When I started, I set Sun, Tues, Thurs. as my running days. I was unable to run this past Sunday because I got home too late. Faced with the choice of waiting an extra day and started week 2 on Tues, or running on Monday instead, I decided to wait the extra dayto maintain my original schedule of days.

What does everyone else do when unable to run on a planned day?

Jim

Sep 30, 2009
    79. Oct 6, 2009 8:06 AM (in response to Tika417)

Jim,  Do whatever works best for you as far as doing your next workout.  Going one extra day without c25k to stay on your schedule isn't going to be a huge problem.

Stephen:   I know exactly what you mean about skipping ahead.. because I hike for hours I know I'm also tempted to skip ahead.  BUT know as you stated it would result in injuries. No matter how active we are running puts stress on the knee and other parts in a different way so we need to do this gradual.  I too have learned that from experience!   Some years ago I did the LA marathon without proper training and my knee was in very bad shape for a long time after.   I also got plantar facilitis from that.  So this time.. working up gradually despite my temptations to jump ahead.  9 wks will be here quick enough!

Welcome to the group!

Jess

PRAISE GOD!!!

• LibbyColorado Expert 53 posts since
    Oct 1, 2009
    80. Oct 6, 2009 8:47 AM (in response to Tika417)

I started on 9/27, so I hope I can squeeze into this forum. Tonight or tomorrow (depending when my partner is free), I'm going to do W2, D2. Week 2, Day 1 just about killed me, but I think I'll do better when I'm not on a treadmill.

Does anyone else run on a treadmill? Have a basis of comparison? I'm going to run around the track at my gym to try that method to see how it feels.

http://pinkandimperfect.blogspot.com

We're crazy and in love. Can we do these 101 things?

Oct 3, 2009

My sympathies on the Plantar Faeciitis

about a decade ago----when my then 11 year old son was getting into running--- I ran in a couple of road races with him-----without nearly enough base------developed the heel pain----and it literally took me YEARS to get rid of it.

slow ans steady and complete controll this time!

I feel great today and am really eager to run again------but having done W1D2 yesterday----I am holding my self back and going to reward myself tomorrow morning with W1D3 outing

iIam in construction------and spend my work days out of doors---typically climbing 28 ft. ladders dozens of times a day--usually carryinbg 80-1000#'s of materials and gear at a time----- but  running is a different thing entirely----- I am fit to work---- but not remotely in running shape

so-- I am babying my knees, my  feet etc.----- running off pavement---- but looking forward to surprising my son when he comes home from college on winter break with a 5K run.

Stephen

Oct 3, 2009

BTW--- I just wanted to mention----someone here mentioned not wanting to be embarrassed by being lapped by a 60 year old person who was running on the same track

do NOT be remotely embarrassed  if that happens-- that 60 year old can probably help you and motivate you a lot.

2 winters ago-- I started running  on an indoor track---and I fell into some "bad company"----- some older folks-- who I later found out were in their late 60's----anyhow-- we all went to the same track--and ran at about the same time--so we started running together.

my stupid pride didn't want to be out done by these folks who were obviously older,slimmer and fitter than I was--------- but they took me under their wing and really pushed me along----turns out ALL 3 of them(2 men,1 woman0 had run marathons many times. I would trot with them 3 days a week for 30 minutes---and then they would just blow me away

I was about 25  years younger----but also about 80#'s heavier than they were

fitter and faster is still fitter and faster no mattewr how old they are

respect them, learn from them and be motivated by them--- but don't be embarrassed

best wishes all,

stephen

• drinkup Amateur 35 posts since
    Oct 6, 2009

Hi. I'll like to join you all, even though I am a week behind. I'm hoping by watching you all advance will keep my butt in gear. I did w1d1 today, and it was ok. I need to look at that prodcast, its tough trying to concentrate on running, and looking at the time. It does not help me at all. I've never been a runner but would like to give it a try. I walk over 20 miles a week, so Im hoping I've gain some muscle to help me run. My goal is to do this t th and saturday. Thanks for letting me join!

D

• ChristinaL215 Expert 60 posts since
    Sep 17, 2008
    84. Oct 6, 2009 2:07 PM (in response to drinkup)

Hello All!

I would like to join as well, although I am a week behind like Drinkup! I did W1D1 today, and while I felt terrible on the treadmill, I feel great right now.

I started the c25k program last year in September, made it to week 5 and stopped. I've been disappointed in myself for a long time about giving up. I stopped right running right after I got engaged, and I don't know why... I suppose at the time I had a million excuses, I wanted to plan my wedding and have fun - not be at the gym. Looking back, it was the wrong decision to make. When I stopped running, I lost all the great energy I had found from running and just started being lazy - sleeping too late, eating too much and being lazy.  My fiance lost his job, and you would think I would have jumped at the opportunity to hit the gym and get some alone time - but even then, I couldn't motivate myself to do anything! It's been just about a year since I quit the program, and I want to try again and at the very least complete the program! Has anyone else here tried and not made it before? Anything to motivate me would be great!

A little about me: I'm 27, 5'3 and 176lbs. I am the heaviest I've ever been in my life and I know crash dieting before a wedding is a bad idea. I want to make lasting changes to my lifestyle, which needs to include exercise. I eat right most of the time, but I work as a nurse at a busy hospital, where junk food lurks in every corner and it's hard to say no! When I started the c25k program last year, I remember that after a few weeks I didn't even want to look at junk food, my body just wanted food that would nourish me. I'm hoping that can happen again, along with the burst of energy I recall experiencing.

@ Drinkup - maybe we can encourage each other to keep the pace and stay motivated, since we are just a week behind the rest of the group!!

I joined this forum last year when I started the program, and I so enjoyed posting after each workout, encouraging my friends from the group and celebrating in their victories as they celebrated mine. Good luck to everyone who is running today!

What people say you cannot do, you try and find that you can. ~ Henry David Thoreau
  • drinkup Amateur 35 posts since
    Oct 6, 2009

Christina great idea on keeping us motivated together. I'm also 53 and 175 and a year older. I want to be in the best shape of my life before I hit 30 which is 15 months away but whose counting haha. I know what you mean about working, I stay home now, but I can remember all the eatting out when I use to work. I also want to make this change for life.

Ok so I could google this but... How the heck to I download prodcast? onto my mp3player? I never added anything to it, I usually listen to the radio. If anyone wants to give me a recap if you have a sec... I spent over an hour and nothing.

thanks

D

• PearsonFlyer Amateur 23 posts since
    Sep 29, 2009
    86. Oct 6, 2009 3:34 PM (in response to Tika417)

Welcome everyone to the group!

I did W1D3 on Sunday, and I'm looking forward to W2D1 on Wednesday.  For whoever asked about the difference between the treadmill and actually being on a track/road/whatever, it's quite a difference.  I did the first 2 days in a park, and the third day on a treadmill, and the third day was much harder for me.  I think you'll find if the weather cooperates and you can be outdoors, it'll be easier on you, and you'll feel better after the session.

I realize I didn't really tell you guys about myself when I joined.  I'll be 39 later this month, I'm 6' 7" and 210 pounds.  I've been up as high as 265, but 210 is a good weight for me.  I just need to get in better shape.  I work from home, and so it's easy to just sit on the couch all day and eat chips.  I also started South Beach, Phase 1 on 9/10, and that along with the daily exercise has really helped my blood sugar go WAY down (I'm type 2 diabetic as well, recently diagnosed which brought on this need for change).  The exercise helps me with the cravings for things I can't have any more, and I'm learning to eat right and snack on healthy foods every couple of hours.

For getting the podcasts, we'll need to know what brand of mp3 player you have, and whether you have a connection cable to your PC for it.  Then we can give you instructions.  It should be pretty easy.

Every time I'm on the treadmill, I'm thinking of what new workout songs I want to get when I get home.  Pretty soon, I'll have a great workout collection that will help get rid of the boredom.

Keep up the great work! See you on Wednesday night!

Started C25K on 9/29/09 in Buffalo NY

Lindsay's Legacy 5k 11/14/09 - 34:10 (11:00/mi)

Turkey Trot 8k 11/26/09 - 57:24 (11:33/mi)

Reindeer Run 5k 12/5/09 - 32:10 (10:22/mi)

Shamrock Run 8k 3/06/10 - 47:32 (9:29/mi)

Bengal Run 5k 3/20/10 - 27:30 (8:52/mi)

350.org Green Run 4.35mi 10/09/10 - 41:22 (9:31/mi)

Sarkin Memorial 5k 10/16/10 - 27:02 (8:42/mi)

Sep 30, 2009

Welcome Drinkup and Christina!  You can do it.. and as far as stopping at week 5 before no problem!  Just keep reporting in here and soon you'll be doing week 6!

Stephen,   I have college kids as well.  We all did the Disney half marathon in September.   I walked most of it.   I'm hoping they will be home for Thanksgiving and do the 5k Turkey trot with me.  I will surprise them as well.

I love when older people (keep in mind I'm 53) pass me when hiking or running.  I tease them with,  "I want to be like you when I grow up!"   I play in several tennis leagues as well.  I find it very inspiring that "older" people who are active are in such great shape.  Let it inspire us to do the same so we can remain healthy and active.

There are so many benefits to this.

Okay off to hike..cross training day. 

Jess

PRAISE GOD!!!

• jwsamuel Amateur 19 posts since
    Sep 28, 2009
    88. Oct 6, 2009 6:53 PM (in response to Tika417)

I did W2D1 tonight. I was doing okay until I hit the fourth interval. I was feeling good and was on a downhill grade, so I started to run a little too fast. I did okay for that interval, but it made the fifth and sixth intervals more of a struggle than they should have. I just was not able to recover during the walks between intervals.

I need to be more conscious of my pace on Thiursday.

Jim

• LibbyColorado Expert 53 posts since
    Oct 1, 2009
    89. Oct 6, 2009 7:00 PM (in response to Tika417)

Just got back from W2D2 -- we ended up running outside because the night was beautiful. Perfect temperature, perfect time of day (no traffic near us). It was a fantastic run...and the first one I've ever done outside! So much better than the treadmill! By not knowing how much time was spent, it all seemed to go faster. I loved it. And I wasn't dying at the end (or near the end, ha). We're proud of ourselves out here in Colorado! But snow is coming, so we might end up indoors for Friday's run. We shall see.

So much better than W2D1. Better than all of the other runs, really.

http://pinkandimperfect.blogspot.com

We're crazy and in love. Can we do these 101 things?

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 36 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...