Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

61225 Views 525 Replies Latest reply: Sep 29, 2012 11:04 PM by Couch2Trackula RSS Go to original post 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 36 Previous Next
  • Fitfornothing Rookie 5 posts since
    Sep 30, 2009

Hi everyone

oh how much it cheers me up reading all the posts! And welcome to our new friends!

I've just done W2D1 - but I nearly didn't! I'm 48 and a little too rounded for most of my clothes but I work shifts and got home last night with a really sore right arm which kept me awake all night. We hot desk at work and I hadn't set the chair and desk correctly - it really ached.

But while I was trying and trying to get comfortable, I was aware that my knees were a bit sore too and the temptation was to put off W2D1. I knew from experience though that that would have been the road to nowhere - so out I went after about four hours sleep.

Was I stupid? I don't know but I'm so determined to stick with it.

I laughed when I read about downloading the podcasts....I'm waiting for my 12 year old to have a bit of time so she can show me how to do it! Isn't that terrible! But I too always prefer to listen to the radio or CDs and who would lug a portable CD player round with them nowadays!

I'm a bit achey but hopefully will be feeling a lot better by Friday and W2D2.

• SMARIETTA Legend 302 posts since
    Oct 3, 2009

did my W1D3 outing this morning---zero problems---enjoying it a lot.

can't help but report---feeling a little too smug--after all it's only a week----however------- I am also 1/8 of the way to my goal----and so step by step it seems so manageable.

I am a compulsive list maker--- no day is complete without a "to do" list-- and checking things off the list is one of lifes simple pleasures--- this is no different.

Looking ahead--W3 is where it appears to get interesting----- I am really holding myself back to prevent my self from jumping ahead--- I  keep telling myself I will get there soon enough!

I felt so good yesterday-----a non-running recovery day that i was really tempted to run anyhow----- but i keep convincing myself that the "recovery" days are as important as the running days------- now i have Thursday and Friday as recovery days---and I suspect Friday I am going to be really antsy----and so W2D1 on saturday will hopefully be something of a relief.

Best wishes to everyone---and keep fighting the good fight!

stephen

• LibbyColorado Expert 53 posts since
    Oct 1, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    93. Oct 7, 2009 8:17 AM (in response to Tika417)
    Re: Starting C25k tomorrow 9/29. Anyone want to Join?
    I'm glad it felt good for you, Tika! I did NOT enjoy D1, but loved D2. Can't wait for D3 (which won't be until Saturday, it looks like).

http://pinkandimperfect.blogspot.com

We're crazy and in love. Can we do these 101 things?

• Pantseatflyer Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 7, 2009

New to the forum.  Starting W2D1 tonight.

I'm 46 and was never a runner.  I had asthma as a child and was pretty much sheltered during those years to not participate in sports.

I have seasonal allergies and asthma as an adult, but I am doing this to prove something to myself that I am capable.

W1D1 was tough for me.  The one minute run felt like an eternity feeling so out of breath.  Now at the end of W1, I can go the minute with a minimal amount of effort.  Still burns, but it's a good burn.  In fact, it almost hurts more to stop running.

At 5'11" and 226lbs, I have some weight to lose and a point to prove that I can do this.

Fortunately for me, I have a great son-in-law who is running with me every evening.  He shows up for dinner with my daughter in tow and his running shoes on asking me am I ready to run?  Having the encouragement and the companionship is going to make a big difference.

Congrats to all who are sticking with it.

• LB82 Amateur 15 posts since
    Oct 7, 2009
    95. Oct 7, 2009 9:55 AM (in response to Tika417)

Hi guys!  I'm also a newbie to the group.  I started about a week before y'all, but got a little sidelined by a cold.  Today was my first day back since getting better, W2D3, and it was rough!  I didn't pace myself right and still can't completely breathe through my nose.  I'm trying to decide if I need a W2D4 or should just move on to W3, but am leaning towards going ahead and doing a slow W3. 

About me: I'm 27 and just trying to start running again.  I ran a little in college and hiked daily through grad school, but after 3 years sitting in a desk at work, it's time to get more active. 

Good luck to everyone; it sounds like everyone is very motivated and optimistic.  : )

• PeeWeeHerman Amateur 21 posts since
    Oct 7, 2009
    96. Oct 7, 2009 9:55 AM (in response to Tika417)
    %#$@%! Today was HARD!

Okay - I just got back from my attempted run/walk.  I'm doing the runner's world program with is very similar to the couch to 5k.  Today is week 2 day 2 where the plan ups to 3 minutes for 7 intervals.  My calves ached so much that I only did 4 intervals and ended up walking the rest.  I've already repeated the 2 minute intervals for week 2 day 1 extra times. 

I need to be patient with myself and just accept that I'm completely out of shape and have gotten fat and flabby  

I joke about how at work everyone gets spread-butt where their butts spread by an inch each year.  Yep and my butt has spread along with the rest of them

So... I will so some stretching to help out with the throbbing legs and maybe take some vitamin 'I' and commit to you all that I WILL NOT QUIT.  It may take me a bit longer but I WILL NOT QUIT.  I WILL NOT QUIT.

• drinkup Amateur 35 posts since
    Oct 6, 2009
    97. Oct 7, 2009 11:59 AM (in response to PeeWeeHerman)
    everyone

Hi! welcome newbies. I do not have to run today, but I still walk. 3 days a week I walk 5 miles. I have 2 miles to go.

Most days I walk it all together but we have rain today so its treadmill walking which I find very different then outside.

My mp3player is a sandisk. I still havent figured it out, Im hoping to have it ready before i run tomm afternoon.

Im a little sore today. Along with the couch program I started a few others and my arms are killing me...

Keep up the good work! We just need a little bit of patience, and a ton of hardwork and we will all be running

that 5k soon enough!

D

• Sdnoles1 Amateur 10 posts since
    Oct 26, 2008
    98. Oct 7, 2009 4:47 PM (in response to drinkup)
    Re: everyone
    Wooooo Hoooooo  That's what I said about half way through my run today  I can't believe I am actually running and breathing!!!  It's great!  As and ex smoker I am so pleased that this day has come.....I CAN RUN AGAIN!!!!   Redid W1D3 today do to my back issue on Monday but I felt good, back feels good so rolling on!  Let's keep movin' people!!!!  See ya Friday!
  • lauraw721 Amateur 17 posts since
    Jun 26, 2009
    99. Oct 7, 2009 7:59 PM (in response to Tika417)
    Did W2D2 today. So proud of myself for still sticking to this. No side stitches today, so yay for that. I want to be healthy and in shape, but as a stay at home mom, it's also about having time to myself. I hope everyone continues to take this time for themselves as well. It's 30 minutes of freedom, no stress, no to do lists. Keep it up everybody. You derserve this time for you!!!

Started C25K 9/28/09

"Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?'"
    - Peter Maher, Canadian marathon runner

• deniden Amateur 24 posts since
    Sep 29, 2009

I did W2D1 last night... it was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. The podcasts really help me, the great music keeps me motivated. I've been doing the program on a treadmill - has anyone else? I guess I'm too self conscious to go out and do it in the neighborhood yet. I've been doing my walks at 3.2 mph and then my runs at 5 to 5.2 mph.

-----

Denielle

started 1st C25K on 09/28/09, completed program

re-started C25K on 10/10/11 at W4D1

• drinkup Amateur 35 posts since
    Oct 6, 2009

Laura I hear ya on the 30 minutes of freedom!! I think I actually started walking on my treadmill with mp3player to just have my own time.

I also run on the treadmill, I'm in a pretty quiet area but I have these hills that kill me even when I walk outside. The hill by my house is so huge I can finally walk up it without pain and losing my breath.

Im done w1d2 and my shins hurt so bad the whole time. I stretched before and after. If my shins didnt hurt I think I would of enjoyed it more.

Well last time it was my calfs, haha maybe d3 it will be fine

• WetSneakers Expert 40 posts since
    Oct 5, 2009

What a difference. W1D1 stunk to high heaven. Thought I was going to toss my cookies and was convinced my lungs were bleeding. Somehow I convinced myself to go back for D2 and I'm glad I did. Kind of proud about that. It was WAY easier on my lungs and my legs didn't ache the next day. I even thought about going and doing D3 for my off day, but convinced myself that recuperation was a good thing. Depending on work D3 happens today or tomorrow.

• LibbyColorado Expert 53 posts since
    Oct 1, 2009

It's so hard to take a rest day -- I feel like, "hey, I'm motivated, let's run again!" But I know I need to rest. So today, we rest.

Last night we lifted weights and walked/jogged around the track. It got the blood flowing. Of course, we stretched afterwards and were both happy that we got out of the house to work out.

Tonight is our rest day, and we are going to try and run in the early morning tomorrow. One of our "to do" things is to watch the sunrise; what better way than to run together and take in all of Colorado's glory?

Then again, 6am is not my best friend. We'll see how it goes.

http://pinkandimperfect.blogspot.com

We're crazy and in love. Can we do these 101 things?

• disneygal2 Legend 455 posts since
    Sep 30, 2009
    I finished week 2 day 3 today.  My first 90 second run I felt tired, sore and was thinking about how it would be hard to do 3 minutes week 3.  But by my second 90 second run interval my body and muscles were warm and the run wasn't difficult.   I've been doing the workouts for 30 minutes rather than 20.. my last 90 second run felt so good I went ahead and tried out the 3 minutes!   I did it and I know I'm ready to take on week 3 in a couple days.   Keep on keepin on everyone!    Also I see so many people on the flat lake course I do this at.  Many seem to be doing the run/walk as well.  I think they might be doing this program as well!!     Jess

PRAISE GOD!!!

Couch to 5 K Graduation Day November 26, 2009

Dana Hills Turkey Trot  Thanksgiving Day 2009 5 K....  Time 32:22  MY FIRST 5k

Jan 9 Irvine 5k Time 32:52

Feb 7 Super Bowl 10k  1:08:31  MY FIRST 10K

September 5 2010  DISNEYLAND HALF MARATHON:  2:41:00

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 36 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...