Skip navigation

6258 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 22, 2009 6:53 PM by Richelieu RSS
Gale Bernhardt Legend 73 posts since
Jun 12, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 7, 2009 9:29 AM

Pre-race rituals and superstitions

Tell us about your pre-race rituals and superstitions. Some people eat or drink special items, others have a warm-up routine and still others have a lucky charm of one kind or another.

What is your lucky pre-race ritual?

Do you have a lucky charm you carry?

Do you have any pre-race superstions or rituals that have died because they no longer worked?

Tell us your story.

• Flashpop Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 30, 2007
    1. Oct 7, 2009 11:42 AM (in response to Gale Bernhardt)
    Re: Pre-race rituals and superstitions

My pre-race ritual is a special prayer and blessing.  I look over the water. my bike and my running shoes.  I give a blessing asking that each will keep me safe and healthy.  I also ask that all other competitors will be kept safe and healthy as well.  This meidtative moment calms me and prepares me to move!

Jene' Popper Hong

• nameneeded Amateur 10 posts since
    Sep 8, 2009
    2. Oct 7, 2009 1:40 PM (in response to Gale Bernhardt)

heh, a few.

I pack and unpack my bag probably about 10 times to make sure I have absolutely everything I could use.  I do this the night before, I do this the morning of.

I might try on the finish line shirt/hat, but only the day before the race, NEVER on the day of the race until I finish.

I step myself through the transition process bit by bit, repeatedly.  Steps small enough an idiot (which I am after coming out of the water and off of the bike) can do them.  (CISC versus RISC processing for other old geeks).

I go out of my way to talk to other racers and try and give them encouragement if they look nervous... mostly I think I'm just hoping someone else notices I'm nervous and does the same

Sean

• IronMakeover Community Moderator 738 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008
    3. Oct 9, 2009 12:22 PM (in response to Gale Bernhardt)

Hubby & I shave our legs (yep he does.) We also clip our nails & I paint mine. As a soccer player I used to instead sharpen my nails vs. clipping them down. I also wore my long hair in a braided whip type style.

We have a pre-race CD we listen to before every race. It's nice to have traditions. It reminds you pre-race that "you've been in these moments before" and even at a new event, it'll be OK.

Sara

Sara Cox Landolt

http://www.ironmakeover.blogspot.com/

• pacificfit Legend 147 posts since
    Jan 9, 2008
    4. Oct 9, 2009 1:17 PM (in response to Gale Bernhardt)

Got this question on Twitter during the press conference, but I was unable to ask it! However, here are my pre-race "must-haves":

1) sweet potato or yam for breakfast

2) big kiss from the wife at night before bed (nothing else but a kiss - save it for AFTER the race!)

3) 100 jumping jacks

It's not necessarily science, but that's what I do.

Ben

My blog is at http://www.BenGreenfieldFitness.com

Also, I'm giving away a free 7-part series on "How To Become Superhuman" at http://www.SuperhumanCoach.com

• SlowBarney Amateur 36 posts since
    Oct 20, 2008
    5. Oct 12, 2009 11:13 AM (in response to Gale Bernhardt)

Probably not what you're looking for, but the following seem to be part of my routine actions before races...not sure how many times I'll have to go through them before it qualifies as a ritual.

1. Wind myself up so much that I get lost on the way to the race briefing (3 times this year).

2. Forget everything that I've been told in the briefing, find a volunteer to ask questions, usually one who's a first timer (twice this year).

3. Get up early on raceday, fall asleep, wake up again late and rush to transition (twice).

4. Halfway to transition go back to my room to get the things (usually goggles) I've forgotten or get lost on the way to the transition 5 minutes before it closes (once).

5. Drop all my kit in the transition area so that it's covered with grass, sand, dirt and probably chewing gum.

6. Find a non-essential, but useful piece of kit in my daybag after transition has closed.

7. Forget to get marked / chipped / register chip.

8. Forget sunscreen.

9. Walk around in daze wondering which wave I'm in.

I find that these hiccups have lead my actual racing to be relatively calm and stress-free...almost Zen-like. I've left out "tweak cycling computer so that it doesn't work over 25mph, display the wrong speed or shows it in Km/h"; this happens every time, but I haven't figured out when I'm doing it yet. I managed to work in "lose bike in transition area" and forget to put hat on bald head for sunny-hot-shadeless run (twice) but as these are not strictly pre-race I've left them out of the main list. I love racing though.

• blv_2_achv Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 11, 2008
    6. Oct 13, 2009 12:12 PM (in response to Gale Bernhardt)

I have 2 pre-race rituals that I typically do and one main superstition:

1). Play the same CD in my car as I drive to the race.

2). As gross as it might sound, before jumping in the water to warm up, I stand at the shore line and pee in my wetsuit. It sounds strange but I'm in the water 10 seconds later anyway. I always laugh a little while its going on cause I'm the only one who knows whats going on lol..

Superstition:

1) Never take a picture near the finish line chute before the race. I always think it'll jinx my performance..

Thanks for the post Gale and all you do for us!

Austin

• Richelieu Rookie 5 posts since
    Sep 29, 2007
    7. Oct 22, 2009 6:53 PM (in response to Gale Bernhardt)
    I pray.  Then I let the world hear my train!  Wooooooooooooooo!!   Woooooooooooooooo!!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...