Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

323850 Views 1,936 Replies Latest reply: Aug 27, 2014 6:32 AM by Banishing-Bertha Go to original post 1 2 3 4 ... 130 Previous Next
  • Linda48170 Amateur 30 posts since
    Apr 13, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Oct 7, 2009 8:37 AM (in response to disneygal2)
    Re: Are you over fifty and doing the C25k?

Hi,

Well I am really over fifty.  I'm 62 and I started the plan about 2 1/2 weeks ago.  I'm 62 BUT I'm a baby boomer who regards  60 as the new 40.    I feel great, have plenty of energy and  have been doing work out videos (currently an older FIRM) and walking for about an hour most days for a long time...I'm also a Weight Watcher, currently at about 138 or so. And I probably should mention that I've never ever run in my entire life, never been active in any sport...only walked. I walk a mile in about 15 min. Don't know if that's good or not. My neighborhood, where I run, is slightly hilly, not huge hills but definite inclines...

So anyway... I thought I'd jump right into C to 5K plan and move right along.  However, this is my 3rd week repeating W1!  yikes. I'm wondering what the problem is...am I older than I thought??

When running the 60 second intervals I am still huffing and puffing, although getting better.  What's up with that? Should I keep running the 60 seconds (Week 1)  until I can run it easily? Or should I push myself to move up to Week 2 and go for the 90 seconds intervals?

Just wondering if anyone has suggestions, advice.Know any good books for beginning older runners??

I should mention, too, that my husband (also 62),  who really is a couch potato, is joining me on these runs...and he is doing far better than me. He runs faster, gets ahead then runs circles while I catch up. How crazy is that!?

I am determine to complete the program.  Go nana is my philosophy.

Lin

• kate_mac Legend 330 posts since
    Jul 4, 2009
    16. Oct 7, 2009 8:49 AM (in response to Linda48170)

Lin,

I'm in the same world as you - 57, avid walker for years and now trying running. Started in june and now comfortably running between 2 - 3 miles. I think i repeated week 2 several times. I checked in regularly on a thread ot people who started around the same time I did and it was extremely helpful. One thing we all learned is to take it slow. Beginners often start out way too fast and can't keep up the time or mileage. I finally bought a Garmin GPS/HR monitor and have had good luck pacing myself better. So my advice is to slow down!  Speed will come later.

Kate

Kate in CT

Old Wethersfield 5k ~ 36:00

Blue Back Square 5K Mitten Run (Dec 6, 09) ~ 31:58

Lake Merced Run 4.5 M - San Francisco (Jan 3) ~ 48:30

Baja 5000 5K - (May 2) ~ 36:39

Red Dress for Women (July 10) ~ 36:34

Hartford Marathon Relay (Oct 9) ~ ran the 4th leg (10k)

Blue Back Square 5k Mitten Run (Dec. 5) ~ 32:25

Holyoke St. Patrick's 10k (March 19) ~ 1:08:41

Amica Iron Horse Half Marathon (June 5) ~ 2:25:13

Old Wethersfield 5k (Nov 2011) 30:40 PR

Blue Back Square 5k Mitten Run (Dec 4) ~ 31:09

Redding Road Race HM "A Run for the Cows" (May 6) 2:31 (hilliest course on record!)

Red Dress for Women (July 7) ~ 33:43

Pounding the Pavement for Pink 5k (October 6) ~ 33:04 (1st place in age category!)

MxCC Scholarship 5k (Oct, 27) ~ 31:56 (2nd place)

Blue Back Square 5k Mitten Run (Dec 2) ~ 32.22

Quinnipiac University (CT) Physicians Assistants 5k (Apr 13) ~

Cox Rhode Race 5k Providence (May 11) ~ 32:12

Blum Shapiro 5k Cromwell CT (June 8) ~

Blue Back Square 5k Mitten Run (Dec 8)

You don't stop running because you get old, you get old because you stop running... quoted Dipsea Demon/Born to Run

Apr 13, 2009
    18. Oct 7, 2009 4:44 PM (in response to kate_mac)

Kate, Thanks for the encouragement. I'm inspired to hear that you started C25K in June, finished in August and are now running 2-3 miles comfortably.

Lin

Apr 13, 2009
    19. Oct 7, 2009 4:49 PM (in response to disneygal2)
    Thanks for welcome Jess.
  • DonnaES Rookie 4 posts since
    Jun 2, 2008
    20. Oct 8, 2009 11:56 AM (in response to disneygal2)
    Hi, I am also 53 years old and in the last 6 years have done full and half marathons, 10 & 7 milers, 10K's & 5K's and the Iron Girl Triathlon (last year!).  These are not easier but are so invigorating to the body and soul.  I also lift weights, do yoga and kayak.  What is C25K?
    Attachments:

Donna from Baltimore, MD

Weight lift since 1976; endurance sports since 2003

Motto:  You gotta try!!

I am training for the Women's Half Marathon in St. Petersburg, FL and raising money for The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Visit my website to donate http://pages.teamintraining.org/md/StPeteHf09/devers-southard

• Tony713 Amateur 39 posts since
    Jul 30, 2009
    22. Oct 9, 2009 7:15 PM (in response to disneygal2)

I ,just today, finished C25K....I've now run two  5ks  and am planning for a Turkey Trot 5k on Thanksgiving Day.  I am 55 years old. It has taken the 9 weeks of the C25K plan to aclimate to running.  I'm just beginning to enjoy the running, while running.  I have, since starting the plan in August, felt good about running before I ran and after the runs were over...but I'm just now starting to enjoy the runs while running....which is, I feel, a major milestone.  I'm running 3 to 3.5 miles at a session and would like to build up to 4 to 6 miles for a long run...at least once per week.  This would help me get my 5k time down below 30 minutes, I believe.

Tony

• lynRR Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 21, 2008
    23. Oct 9, 2009 8:30 PM (in response to disneygal2)

Hi everyone,

I am almost 54 and I have been active for most of my life, running, biking and some swimming. I started doing sprint triathlons in 2003, took some years off and got back to doing them summer of 2008. So obviously I am not doing c25k but my 25 yr old daughter is. I love the program b/c I never thought my daughter would get into running. She really enjoys it and is going to do the Jingle Bell Run with me in December.

I  would love to be part of this group b/c everywhere there are younger people working out, but it's nice to interact with folks my age. I also should add that I am not fast at any of the triathlon disciplines, and so I have an ongoing goal to get faster. I agree with those that say to get faster you can't keep running slowly, so I am plugging away trying to do faster shorter intervals. I got that inspiration from doing the c25k workouts with my daughter.

It's exciting to see so many of you on here and I wish you all the best of luck reaching your goals!

• SMARIETTA Legend 302 posts since
    Oct 3, 2009
    24. Oct 11, 2009 5:12 AM (in response to Linda48170)

Linda,

I think you are almost certainly running just a bit to fast---- you will be suprised how much more manageable it will be  by just backing off the pace ever so slightly( also you will be amazed how hard it is to UP the pace ever so slightly)

what i was told was--- you should be able to hold up your end of a conversation while running--even if it is a slight out of breath struggle

I run alone------so on week one on the 60 second repeats I would just muble out lout "onethousand one, one thousand two ,one thousand three"---and so forth------ by  the second interval of day two- I had found my pace---and it just flows well now

I think it's fantastic that your husband is doing this with you---- but for now you got to let him run HIS pace-- and you run YOURS-- I would be very suprised if you can't find a more comfortable pace by counting quietly outloud  within a day or so

Very best wishes

stephen

• Donna914 Legend 357 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009
    25. Oct 11, 2009 6:27 AM (in response to disneygal2)

Good Sunday morning to you all! I was out of town last week and then the site was down all yesterday so I feel so out of touch. I am the Donna that is 49 and haven't ever ran a 5K but have one two weeks from today. I am excited!! Besides not ever being athletic I am 100+ overweight but I did finish C25K a few weeks ago with not many problems, but I do think it is because I didn't try to run fast. I was running 17-18mm and now I am in the 16mm and for 15 min I can run under 15 mm. I am getting there and the more weight I lose I think I will improve. I have a Garmin GPS and I love it to track distance and time and my  heartrate. My heart rate has gone down alot too since I started running. I got home from San Francisco (a long trip for me) midnight Friday night and Saturday I ran in the morning. I missed my running; first time in 2 1/2 months that I missed more than 1 day. I usually run every other day. I felt pretty good even though jetlagged and stuff. I am planning on a short run and long walk today.

You all are doing so great! I will try to respond to some posts after I catch up.   Have a great day!

• RobinfromMaine Pro 162 posts since
    Dec 6, 2008
    26. Oct 11, 2009 6:43 AM (in response to disneygal2)

Hi

I'm 58 and have been running for about a year and a half, although I frequently feel that I'm one day of temptation away from quitting. There is a "boomer" thread, but the posters there seem to be dedicated runners logging 40-60 miles a week. A good week for me is 25 miles.

The two best bits of advice that I've been given were to figure out what my goals were, and to slow down. I want to maintain a reasonable level of fitness and not get hurt. If I run farther or faster, that's a bonus. Slowing down has let me believe that I can run.

I too am a long-time walker, although it would be perhaps more accurate to call it "strolling", while the most running I did in the past were those hateful laps we had to do at basketball practice. As time went by I realized that while walking was still enjoyable and easy, it was happening less and less. Three and a half years ago, I bought a treadmill -- and it didn't work. By the time I had it fixed (I had to be able to be at home for a whole day to wait for the repairman), I had figured out that I could use it as a manual treadmill, and that even a short stint felt pretty aerobic. Even better, I could do it every day. Over the course of two years I increased time and effort, and in the spring of 2008 I ventured out for a short, very very slow run of 7/10 of a mile, and was thrilled to find that it didn't feel to bad. In fact, having reached my destination, the local post office, I collected my mail, and jogged for another 1.3 miles. Two days later  I set a more ambitious goal, and jogged 3.5 miles, at a pace that was probably between 14-15 minutes/mile. I probably could have managed the same thing as a power walk, but I don't like to power walk. The important thing was that it gave me the mental confidence that I could actually run at all. Anyway, that's how I got to 5K, in a very unconventional way. I still use my treadmill-walking as cross-training, and as a bad weather alternative (and almost never turn it on).

I have a brother who is a life-long runner, and also coaches. He agrees with me that there is not one routine that is right for all runners. In particular, I have also heard the phrase "long slow runs make long slow runnerss".

>Fairly young, ran in college, wife was an All American runner, coaches women's team at UConn so a good resource. He spoke to the newbies, and the rest of us "veterans!" about going further with our running. Came away with good information. Bottom line is that if you run long and slow, you will always run slow.

I do agree that if I never push myself I won't get faster. I also know that one thing my brother takes as a matter of course for both his own training and that of the kids he coaches, is the concept of a base: a regular routine (I have two routes of 4.4 miles) that accumulates miles and builds muscles and endurance. I try to get out as often as feasible, and if I don't feel that I've run fast or well, I still count it toward my base. If I'm feeling really good I push myself against the clock, and I *have* improved my speed. This summer I have added an occasional long slow run, and it's almost a luxury to run more slowly, which I pay for by running for more distance. I also note that I was stuck for six months (although most of that was cold weather running) at a pace that never was quite fast enough to get below 10 minutes/mile; typically 10 1/2. After I started the long slow runs I broke 10 minutes/mile, and once actually broke 9 minutes/mile for my 4.4 mile run; the last several months it's rare to run more slowly than 10 minutes/mile except for the long slow runs, and even there I actually did 9.5 miles at 10:34, although usually it's much slower.

I've never entered a race, but I hear that most competitive runners feel that it is racing that helps them set speed records. I don't see myself running a marathon. I'm just happy to be running for now.

• Donna914 Legend 357 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009
    27. Oct 11, 2009 7:01 AM (in response to RobinfromMaine)
    Thanks Robin! that was very informational. I did hear long slow runs make long slow runners. I heard something about 1 long run, 2 regular runs, and one run dedicated to speed work a week. Does that sound right to you? I am kind of instituting that over the last few weeks and the next few months. I do want to get faster but I know losing weight will really help me.

• whereuendup Rookie 4 posts since
    Oct 11, 2009
    29. Oct 11, 2009 8:51 AM (in response to disneygal2)

It was great to find this thread.  I am 51, had been an on and off walker who just started run intervals in June, then increasing my run times.  I was doing my own C25 but didn't really know it.  I found this site a few weeks ago and used it to help me prepare for my first 5K done last Sunday.  I have never been a runner, never much of an athlete, and to actually finish one was great.  The C25 plan seems really solid to me.  For all of you who have posted, you are inspirational.  While I can't seem to get enough miles in per week, I am still planning on 2 more 5Ks before end of year.

For everyone who is training, running and just getting out there, give yourselves a hand.  My motto is "it's not where you start, it's where you end up" - so keep at it!  It's amazing to do something you may have never thought possible.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...