Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3433 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Oct 8, 2009 6:09 PM by CaryAN20 RSS
CaryAN20 Pro 101 posts since
Oct 6, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 6, 2009 7:45 PM

Where/how long did you run today?

So I'm new here, but thought it would be fun to hear about everyone's runs for the day.  I know there are some other threads out there for specific groups, but anyone can post here...

For example:  I ran 4.2 miles today - my longest EVER!  I ran outside on a pretty trail at a local park that winds around a small lake.  The weather was mild- lower 60s, humid, cloudy...  Anyway, I felt great today!  It is the fouth time I've run this distance.  I plan on increasing to 5 miles on Sunday!    My long term goal is to be in marathon shape by april...  I am following the training schedules on coolrunning.  I recently finished c25k and am very excited about my progress!

Would love to hear your stories and any advice!

Cary

Cary

10-17-09  Miles for Mira 5k  Southern Pines, NC - 29:50

11-15-09  Old Reliable Run 10k  Raleigh, NC - 1:03:46

12-6-09  Reindeer Fun Run 5k  Southern Pines, NC - 29:06 PR

2-6-10  Critz Tybee 1/2 Marathon  Tybee Island, GA - 2:12:28

3-13-10  Shamrock 'N Roll Road Race 5k (3.53 mi.)  Whispering Pines, NC - 30:22

4-14-10 Spring Fling 5k-ish (2.76 mi.)  Pinehurst, NC - 26:33

4-24-10  Country Music Marathon  Nashville, TN - 5:06.19 - *unofficial

6-12-10  Susan G Komen Race for the Cure 5k  Raleigh, NC 31.20

• disneygal2 Legend 455 posts since
    Sep 30, 2009
    1. Oct 6, 2009 9:10 PM (in response to CaryAN20)
    Re: Where/how long did you run today?
    Congrats on finishing C25k and your progress.  That is great!   I am only on week 2 of C25k.  Today was a cross training day and I did a 4.5 mile hike with my hiking club.  There are some pretty good hill climbs.  I do some trail running on the flat parts.  It really is a good workout.  It was a 6 pm hike.   I saw the sun set and had my little flashlight for the very last part.   Tomorrow I have tennis league in morning and then C25k wk 2 day 3 in the afternoon. 

PRAISE GOD!!!

Couch to 5 K Graduation Day November 26, 2009

Dana Hills Turkey Trot  Thanksgiving Day 2009 5 K....  Time 32:22  MY FIRST 5k

Jan 9 Irvine 5k Time 32:52

Feb 7 Super Bowl 10k  1:08:31  MY FIRST 10K

September 5 2010  DISNEYLAND HALF MARATHON:  2:41:00

• SMARIETTA Legend 302 posts since
    Oct 3, 2009
    2. Oct 7, 2009 7:34 AM (in response to CaryAN20)

congrats on the 4.2 miles!

It has been about 2 years since I ran and so I am just starting back into this with the C25K plan.---- lifetime just over 4 miles is about the farthest i have ever run----and injuries soon after have shut me down-----so I am working back up slow and steady--- today was W1D3

I hope to race a 5K in December--- possibly a NewYears Eve one if not sooner

would like to do a few 10 K's in the spring----and ideally run a local 1/2 marathon in Sept./Oct. of 2010( it runs past my front door)

perhaps all that is to much wishfull thinking-------first things first-completing the C25K program.

I have been running along the Ohio/Erie Canal towpath which actually  passes a few minutes west of my house-- I could theoretically head south for about 40 miles--or north for about  40 miles on smooth well maintained comfortable surfaces.

When I get back to doing 5K distances--we have an excellent Metro parks system with many trails I am looking forward to running----there is one quite close by that would let me mix in a VERY challenging hill along with flat work.

Last 2 runs were cool, Crisp, brilliant sunshine----today was a bit warmer(51 degrees)-- but very windy,blustery---clouds RACING across the sky, good color coming along in the foiliage and that great rattling sound of the wind in the tree leaves

I kind of feel sorry for the folks who run with head phones---as i suspect they  miss a good deal of the outdoor drama---but to each his own-- I am not a music person---- and I like to concentrate on being"in the moment"---- I really enjoyed the blustery weather today--between the wind and the sky--it felt that ANYTHING could happen at any time----and so getting home without getting rained or snowed on----felt like I had won something!

Best wishes to you--and congrats on the 4.2 miles

stephen

• coolcin Amateur 26 posts since
    May 6, 2008
    4. Oct 7, 2009 5:59 PM (in response to CaryAN20)
    Today I ran 8.24. The .24 was because it was dark at the end and I couldn't see my gps watch. I ran in an area that has lot's and lot's of hills. My daughter and I are training for a Nov 27 Marathon...but I'm training in the US and she's training in Germany. She said that her runs are on HILLS...so in order to duplicate her efforts I chose to run a hilly course tonight!!! Felt good though and thought of her running with me to get me through it~~~
  • RB67 Legend 233 posts since
    Sep 17, 2008
    5. Oct 8, 2009 10:34 AM (in response to CaryAN20)

Cary good job on the 4.2!  Just keep increasing your pace incrementally and you will be in great shape by April.

I did 5.3 this morning with my Thursday morning running group.  It was chilly this morning (about 48) but the cooler weather has helped bring down my times!  I am in my taper week.  I run my first half marathon on Sunday and can't wait.

Rick

You rarely regret the runs you do; you almost always regret the runs you skip

Upcoming:

• 03/27/2010 Feed the Need 5k 25:58
    • 04/11/2010 Cohasset 10k 54:46
    • 04/18/2010 BAA 5k 25:48
    • 05/30/2010 Run to Remember 1/2 2:03:24
    • 06/13/2010 Devanna 5k challenge 24:26

Completed:

• 11/08/2009 - Luv2Run 5k 23:52
    • 10/25/2009 - Canton Fall Clasic 10k 52:30
    • 10/11/2009 BAA 1/2 Marathon 1:53:46
    • 09/17/2009 Thomsons Island 4k trail run 20:24
  • AndreaBret Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 8, 2009
    6. Oct 8, 2009 11:36 AM (in response to CaryAN20)

Hello!

I did a 7am run on the treadmill today before Pilates Class!  I ran 5.5 miles!  Felt great!  Took me an hour to do it.  I'm still a beginner runner.  Just started in January.  Had to take a break for awhile because of shinsplints.  No fun. Make sure to stretch really well before you run.  I didn't!  Now, I always do!  And weighted toe raises to strengthen your calves.

I actually did my first 5K last Saturday.  It was the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure.  It was awesome!  I can't wait to do another one!  I'm actually doing another one on the 17th of this month!  And I plan on doing a Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving!  So excited!  Maybe after those two, I'll be ready for a 10K!!

What is a c25K?   I've never heard of that.

Cary, what are you doing to prepare for your marathon?  I think I need to do a couple 10K's first and maybe a half-marathon before I attempt a marathon!

Have a great day runners!

Andrea

• billprice005 Pro 75 posts since
    Dec 8, 2007
    7. Oct 8, 2009 12:43 PM (in response to CaryAN20)
    I'm trying to rebuild my running strength after breaking my ankle in December.  My long runs are on Tuesdays, about 6 miles.  Today I did a 31:45 3 mile maintenance run.
  • Lost In Thought Rookie 5 posts since
    Aug 16, 2009
    8. Oct 8, 2009 2:51 PM (in response to CaryAN20)
    Today I had the intention of doing what I look forward to doing every Thursday morning with a good friend...trail running.  Today I was going to run the UWGB campus trails 2x...which is about 8.2 miles total.  I was particularly excited this morning because it was 50 degrees and the weather is about to turn frigid so my Thursday morning comfort runs are limited.  Well much to my dismay my friend decided it was better to go to step class this morning and thought it would be great if I went with her.  Grumbling, I complied. (which I know was strictly a choice).  I got to the YMCA to go to class and I had about a half of an hour until it started.  I stepped on the hamster wheel and started running....running with bad juju...I was angry about my decision to forgo my trail run for this step class. (I know I am venting...sorry) so I ran faster and harder.  I did my 3 miles faster than I have done it in the 8 months since I have started running..just over 23 minutes.  I guess not going to the trail was okay for this week!  It turned out that step class was very fun!  Thanks for asking.
  • disneygal2 Legend 455 posts since
    Sep 30, 2009
    9. Oct 8, 2009 3:32 PM (in response to Lost In Thought)
    I did C25k  ( Couch to 5 k program in answer to the poster that asked) week 2 Day 3.  This week is 90 second runs..next week has 3 minute runs.  My very last run I went ahead and did the 3 minutes to get a taste of it.  It went well.   I am looking forward to adding more run time and my 5k on Thanksgiving Day!  Stephen.. it sounds like you are enjoying nature to its fullest.  I feel the same way.  I'm active in a hiking club.  I love to take it all in.. the clouds, the wind, the animals ect.  I like being alone with nature and my thoughts so don't use music or podcasts at this time either.    Jess

PRAISE GOD!!!

Couch to 5 K Graduation Day November 26, 2009

Dana Hills Turkey Trot  Thanksgiving Day 2009 5 K....  Time 32:22  MY FIRST 5k

Jan 9 Irvine 5k Time 32:52

Feb 7 Super Bowl 10k  1:08:31  MY FIRST 10K

September 5 2010  DISNEYLAND HALF MARATHON:  2:41:00

• Lost In Thought Rookie 5 posts since
    Aug 16, 2009
    11. Oct 8, 2009 6:02 PM (in response to CaryAN20)
    UWGB is University of Wisconsin-Green Bay

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...