Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

20481 Views 122 Replies Latest reply: Oct 13, 2009 12:52 PM by Jasmine1972 Go to original post 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 Previous Next
  • MrsFatmanrunning Expert 42 posts since
    Sep 16, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    75. Oct 8, 2009 9:37 AM (in response to CarlaLThompson)
    Re: 200lbs+ C25K Oct. 5-11

My son has a cross country race tonite. Previous in the season, Mr. F made a challenge, if he beat a certain time, hed run two minutes with our son. Our son met that challenge head on and Mr F ran 2 minutes (our son had no clue that we are running and that we can run much farther than that).

So last evening, I made a challenge to our son. If he can beat the time of 18:10 or less, Id run two minutes with him.  I made it a significant goal for him, 45 seconds off his fastest time. It is supposedly the fastest course of hte season, since its the flatest.  Prior, to doing C25K, i hated, absolutely detested running. So our son knows this and he made a big deal out of the fact he didnt think Id last one minute running. WHAT! Im like your father did, his response "Hes stronger!" Stinky rotten son lol -- just teasing. I , so badly, wanted to say, ya think I cant do 2, boy Ive run 20 freaking minutes! Mr. F had much  fun playing up the fact that Im not going to be able to do this, cause i hate running. Good thing Im a good actress lol.

Cannot wait to show our boy what momma can really do -- Come on 5k race!

I am looking forward to doing week 6 day 3 tommorrow!!!

Mrs,F

• brpssm Pro 68 posts since
    Jun 19, 2009
    76. Oct 8, 2009 9:48 AM (in response to MrsFatmanrunning)

Mrs. F. -- That is fantastic, he is going to be so proud of you guys when you spring it on him for the 5k!  And in the meantime, you get to have some fun with him.

Mr. F. -- At least that has been my experience with running, no matter how much I warm up (and I do a 1k fast walk down to my running path)...my first 7 - 10 minutes are hard.  Yes, they are easier now than before as I get stronger and the weight goes done, but each time until I get passed that magic milestone I am not enjoying it.  Once I am past it, I have no problems running for another hour+.  I have spoken to other runners about this (a collegue is a marathon runner) and everyone I have spoken to says the same thing just in varying degrees of discomfort.  If you are in PAIN, that is one thing, but from how you described it (that the first run is significantly harder then the second), to me it is exactly what I experience....and I am under 200lbs now and I can run 10k++ at a decent and steady pace.

/Darlene

5km - August 30th - FINISHED 32:50
    5km - September 13th - FINISHED 32:16
    5km - October 4th - Run For The Cure COMPLETED NO TIMING

10km - October 11th - FINISHED 1:11:59

10km - November 7th - Goal:  To finish in < 1:10:00

• CarlaLThompson Amateur 10 posts since
    Feb 21, 2008
    77. Oct 8, 2009 9:46 AM (in response to MrsFatmanrunning)
    MrsFatManRunning - OMG... I didn't know there was a Mrs!  Hi!  I'm new to the thread and getting to know everyone and their challenges, history, stories... and what a cute challenge you have with your son!  And "OF COURSE" you can run 2 min... heck, he better watch out!  You'll be doing "Cross Country" soon enough!  -- Enjoy! -- Carla

Big Fun in the Sun... Swim, Bike, Run!! * My Blog:  http://carlalthompson.blogspot.com * C25K Week1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  Day1 2 3

On Target to Graduate:  World Run Day!  (November 9, 2009)

• WetSneakers Expert 40 posts since
    Oct 5, 2009
    78. Oct 8, 2009 10:22 AM (in response to LibbyColorado)

Hi Libby,

I know what you mean about feeling intimidated to run in public. I just keep reminding myself that at least I'm out there doing it and that's more than most people can say. Plus, outside you have things to look at and distract you, and fresh air in your lungs.

Keep moving.

• WetSneakers Expert 40 posts since
    Oct 5, 2009
    79. Oct 8, 2009 10:34 AM (in response to CarrieNixon)

Hey All,

It was nice to see a community for 200+ lbs. I just started C25K and have W1D3 planned for either tonight or tomorrow, depending on work. The first day was pure hell, but the second was almost fun. My partner is thin, runs, and has been coming with me for support, but I think I might go tonight by myself and try out the podcast.

I'm currently 39 y.o. and have been 200+ lbs for most of my adult life. I start making some health and nutrition changes about 6 months ago and went from approximately 220# down to 205#, but know that I need to take the next steps. I'm closing in on the age when most of my family members start having health issues that are often amplified by their weight. You know...heart disease, diabetes, etc. Hoping that I still have time to make changes before I end up with the dame problems.

Anyway, it's nice to see that there are other heavier runners out there and talking about stuff.

Shell

• GoRunIrish Pro 110 posts since
    Sep 8, 2009
    80. Oct 8, 2009 12:11 PM (in response to CarrieNixon)

OMG- you guys, I'm sidelinded!!!

I took a defense training course on Tuesday, (my line of work requires this). OMG- I dont think that there is a single part of my body that ISNT bruised. My knuckles are slightly swollen and purple, but not broken. I got a good punch to the chin and a swift one to the left boob. (My apologies to the gentlemen in the thread). My legs are completely unusable.... I CANT believe that I'm actually bummed about NOT being able to run. I mean, I'm devasted..... and pissed. I need to stay on track. I'm gonna try W5D2 tomorrow... wish me luck!!

Started C25K 09/07/09

Dinosaur Dash 5K 11/01/09 40:12

Turkey Trot 5K 11/26/09 44:02

Buffalo Run 02/27/10

• lenabelle Amateur 14 posts since
    Oct 7, 2009
    81. Oct 8, 2009 1:53 PM (in response to GoRunIrish)

Thanks to all for the warm welcome!! I am getting so excited for W1D2 tomorrow.

Seeing all of you that are weeks further than I am is such an encouragement in itself - I love it!!

GoRunIrish - no good! I would be pissed if I were you as well. Hope you're back at 100% soon.

• GoRunIrish Pro 110 posts since
    Sep 8, 2009
    82. Oct 8, 2009 3:36 PM (in response to lenabelle)
    Thanks lena - Watch you'll see.... once you start this program, you can't stop.... unless you're me, of course!! BUMMER!!

Started C25K 09/07/09

Dinosaur Dash 5K 11/01/09 40:12

Turkey Trot 5K 11/26/09 44:02

Buffalo Run 02/27/10

• runningtoan8 Rookie 4 posts since
    May 21, 2009
    83. Oct 8, 2009 4:16 PM (in response to GoRunIrish)

This is a great thread; and though I am not doing the C25K program I am a 200lb+ runner who is doing her first 1/2 Marathon this weekend (Long Beach). I am giddy with excitement and though I am still in the run/walk phase I have managed to shave my per mile time to 15 mins !!

The reactions to me doing this race have been high~fives to speculation. Funny that the speculation has come from those I deem "skinny~fat". We all know one; that person who looks great aesthically but could not climb a flight of stairs if being chased...LOL  I just give them the million dollar smile and say "Don't let the big girl thang fool ya"

Congrats to all who have joined the "fit and healthy" club and keep on running

Ciao

• amandalynn636 Expert 57 posts since
    Sep 13, 2009
    84. Oct 8, 2009 5:36 PM (in response to CarrieNixon)

Welcome to all the newbies!!

Today was my off day as I am on a M-W-F schedule and once again I am having the pain in my left knee. It always seems to come a day after my run. It is not a constant pain but only when I move my knee a certain way. I am beginning to think it may be more than just a muscle pain & I am really torn on what to do about it. It doesn't bother me when I run, usually by then the pain has lessened. Anyhoo that's what going on with me.

As far as running outside or on the treadmill I run outside. There is a reservoir in my town that has a 1 mile walking track around it where we run. I have a treadmill at home but the incline is broke on it & it is at such an angle that there is no way I could handle that right now. Since I do not belong to a gym I will probably look into buying one from craigslist for the really bad winter days.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful week & fantastic runs!!!!! This weekend is upon us! WOO HOO!!!!!!!!

Began:C25K September 17,2009

Finished:C25K November 26, 2009

First 5k- November 26, 2009 Turkey Trot(45:24)

• ovenfried Pro 149 posts since
    Sep 8, 2009
    85. Oct 8, 2009 5:46 PM (in response to CarrieNixon)

I called the bloodbank cholesterol hotline tonight to see what my total cholesterol level was on Tuesday when I donated blood.  My last donation was in early June.  My level was about 221.

My total cholesterol dropped 22 points to 199.  That's almost 10% in 4 months.  Thank you South Beach and Couch-to-5K!!!!  And to all of you!

Amy

Started C25K:  September 10, 2009
    Finished C25K:  November 22, 2009

Dec. 5, 2009:  Jingle Bell Run, Cincinnati, OH  35:43
    April 10, 2010:  Aruna 5k, Cincinnati, OH 39.06  (after not running for several months)
    May 22, 2010:  GO/OTR 5K,  Cincinnati, OH  approx 34:30.  (route was changed at last minute, and about .2 mile was shaved off.  boo!)

• babeinthewoods Expert 54 posts since
    Sep 8, 2009
    86. Oct 8, 2009 6:55 PM (in response to ovenfried)

Congrats Amy on getting healthier!  I think health is a major motivator for most of us.

Mr. F, I hadn't really thought about it until I ran today - W5D1 -  but the first 5 min run felt crummy. Like my legs were trying to remember what to do - getting the kinks out. The rest of the time it felt pretty good. I find that if I drive to my starting destination and do the 5 minute walk warmup, it doesn't seem to help at all. It's just too cold outside. If I bke to my destination and then just start running, no problem. Unfortunately, some of my destinations are further than others.

I am such a whiner. If it's too cold or too windy I complain about the conditions. I've talked myself out of 2 bike rides this week. Biking is an off day activity. I've been scared that I will talk myself out of running if it gets any colder. In fact, I know I will! So today, me and hubby went to the YMCA for a tour and to check prices. They don't have an indoor track (no place around here does) but they do have a lot to offer. I'm especially eyeing the warm lap pool. The pool at the high school is always freezing. This way I'll have no excuse. Now if it's too cold, I'll just head to the Y.

Best of luck to everyone with races this weekend! I'm leaving on a business trip in the morning but I can't wait to hear how everyone does.

10/03/09  - GVSU family 5K - 41:25

11/26/09 - Turkey Trot 5K - 40:07

12/05/09 - YMCA Jingle Bell 5K - 40:05

12/13/09 - Jingle Bell Run 5K -

TRAINING PROGRAMS

One Hour Runner started 11/13/09

C25K started 8/30/09 finished 11/20/09

• SeeFluffyRun Legend 251 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    87. Oct 8, 2009 7:47 PM (in response to MrsFatmanrunning)

Mrs F that is awesome to run with your son!!  At minute 2 you should say "Hey, I am going to throw in another 60 seconds just cause I love you!!!"  You are building memories with your son and that is awesome!!

Graduated C25K 08/09/2009

Restarted 04/01/2013

Follow me on my journey: SEEFLUFFYRUN

Twitter: @SeeFluffyRun

Facebook: SeeFluffyRun

Blog: seefluffyrun.blogspot.com

Sep 2, 2009
    88. Oct 8, 2009 8:03 PM (in response to Onedaysoon)

Welcome Michelle!!!  You are going to love c25K!!  I am so proud of you for looking for a 5K to run. Is January really 13 weeks away?!?!?  Man, Christmas is just around the corner.

I am interested in knowing what winter will feel like for me.  I mean I didn't start running until May (ya know when it really gets hot here in Texas) and before I was running, I was a real couch potato. Instead of watching TV, I scrapbooked.  So, I was never outside.  Except for the walk to the car, that drove me to the scrapbook store. LOL

I am so excited to see all the new 200+ runners!!!

anyone have a 5K coming up this weekend that they want to shout about?  We want to cheer you on!!!!!  Believe it or not, I am this loud in person also.  LOL

Restarted 04/01/2013

Sep 2, 2009
    89. Oct 8, 2009 8:06 PM (in response to GoRunIrish)
    I feel you pain Goirish,  I feel your pain.  But hey.... now you know how to kick a$$ if someone comes up to harm you.  And with you running now, you can kick a$$ and then run far away from them.

Restarted 04/01/2013

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...