Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

63053 Views 525 Replies Latest reply: Sep 29, 2012 11:04 PM by Couch2Trackula RSS Go to original post 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 36 Previous Next
  • ChristinaL215 Expert 60 posts since
    Sep 17, 2008

W1D2 for me tonight. I had a bad 12 hr shift at the hospital, so it was tough to motivate myself to go to the gym after a long day on my feet at work - but I did it! It was hard, I felt ok about halfway through the intervals, but by the last one I was more than ready to be finished! I'm hoping to stick with an every other day routine like most people do - it's just going to be tough when I work because I do long shifts, and I'm up at 5:30am as it is for work... not sure if I'll be able to get up an hour earlier to work out before I go into work! Any tips or advice? Not sure if I'll always want to hit the gym after a long 12 hr shift at work either, but one way or another I've got to find a way to manage and complete the program!!

Denielle - I use a treadmill too, mostly because I know if I run outside I will not be able to maintain a consistent pace while running or walking and be more likely to stop. I walk at 3.3 and run at 5.0 to 5.3 depending on which treadmill is free at the gym. I'm also way too embarassed to run outside!!

Day 3 Saturday - I hope it goes well and my feet can handle it! When I did the program before, foot pain was always a problem for me.

Keep up the good work everyone!!!

What people say you cannot do, you try and find that you can. ~ Henry David Thoreau
  • jwsamuel Amateur 19 posts since
    Sep 28, 2009

I did W2D2 tonight, Much better than W2D1. The first day, I went a little too fast on the runs and started getting side stitches on interval four. This time, I held the pace down and did not get a stitch until the last 10 seconds of interval six.

My next day is Sunday, so instead of running in my neighborhood, I am going to go to a park or the Delaware Canal towpath.

Jim

• PearsonFlyer Amateur 23 posts since
    Sep 29, 2009

I also did W2D2 tonight, and it went surprisingly well.  I did it on the treadmill because it was raining and windy out.  Walking at 3.3 and running at 5.7.  I did get a little stitch in my side on the last interval, but otherwise it was nearly problem-free.  My knee felt a little tweaked right from the initial warmup, so I'm staying off the treadmill tomorrow completely (I walk every day, even when not doing the program) to give it a chance to heal up before Saturday.

I can't believe I can run for 90 seconds straight.  It seems like I've come a long way since I started, and it's been less than 2 weeks.  Really, incredible.  I can't wait for week 3 when the long runs start coming.  (Did I just say that?)

I'm also doing some ankle exercises because they've always been a bit weak, and I usually end up derailing my exercise program with a rolled ankle, and I don't want that to happen this time.  I'm finding that my balance is getting better, too.  When I first started on the treadmill, I needed to hold on pretty much the whole time.  Now I barely touch the rails, only when I'm changing speeds.

See you all on Saturday!  Keep up the wonderful work!

Started C25K on 9/29/09 in Buffalo NY

Lindsay's Legacy 5k 11/14/09 - 34:10 (11:00/mi)

Turkey Trot 8k 11/26/09 - 57:24 (11:33/mi)

Reindeer Run 5k 12/5/09 - 32:10 (10:22/mi)

Shamrock Run 8k 3/06/10 - 47:32 (9:29/mi)

Bengal Run 5k 3/20/10 - 27:30 (8:52/mi)

350.org Green Run 4.35mi 10/09/10 - 41:22 (9:31/mi)

Sarkin Memorial 5k 10/16/10 - 27:02 (8:42/mi)

• WetSneakers Expert 40 posts since
    Oct 5, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    108. Oct 9, 2009 10:13 AM (in response to Tika417)
    Re: Starting C25k tomorrow 9/29. Anyone want to Join?

I completed week one last night. Go me! My lungs feel way better than after the first run, but my knees feel a little sore. Not sharp pain, but enough to catch my attention. Otherwise, I feel pretty good. Due to schedule chaos, I'm probably going to run again this evening, but I haven't decided if I'm going to do another run from week one or move on to week two. Thoughts?

Shell

• deniden Amateur 24 posts since
    Sep 29, 2009
    The transition from Week 1 to Week 2 was much easier than I anticipated, but I think the fact you are running 2 nights in a row could make things difficult...

-----

Denielle

started 1st C25K on 09/28/09, completed program

re-started C25K on 10/10/11 at W4D1

• LB82 Amateur 15 posts since
    Oct 7, 2009
    110. Oct 9, 2009 11:11 AM (in response to Tika417)
    Today was W3D1 for me, and it went really well!  I'm actually not feeling as tired and hot as I have been.  The last 30 seconds of the final 3 min interval were a little tough, but didn't last that long.  Am traveling this weekend, but hoping to run at least one day during the trip, so as not to fall behind.  Overall, I am happy today! 
  • jemjem Amateur 8 posts since
    Sep 28, 2009

Hi all,

I have been unable to run for the past week because I sprained my ankle quite badly. I have been trying to strengthen it and walk as much as I can, but it is a long way from right. I think I will have to go back and repeat Week 1, and plan to start today.

I feel I have been left behind all you wonderful folk but what great achievments you have all made!!

Back on track today with some gentle 'shuffling' that will have to pass for running until this ankle comes good.

As my dear husband pointed out, if I wasn't so fat then maybe it would get better quicker.........hmmmm....

50-something fat nanna

Working on the fat but happy to be a nanna !

• Fitfornothing Rookie 5 posts since
    Sep 30, 2009

Hi Christina

it's always a dilemna when you work shifts but I do remember from years ago when I used to run regularly, that no matter how tired I felt after a long day at work, getting the running shoes on and heading out always seemed to pep me up and give me more energy. And last week I had to schedule W1D2 for the afternoon after a shift, when I'd been up since five that morning.

I stuck with it though and I did feel better later on. It can really blow the cobwebs away and get rid of the stress and so what if no dusting's been done in the house or the kitchen floor still needs swept (oops just remembered you're in the medical profession....so things are probably spotless in your home)

Anyway, I hope you get my drift - those precious 20-30 minutes are your time so take them.

Did W2D2 today - it was windy and cloudy - I was wheezy and quite pink about the face - but it's done!

• lauraw721 Amateur 17 posts since
    Jun 26, 2009
    Just completed week 2!!! I'm with you Pearson. I had to run on the treadmill tonight too due to the weather. I did 3.2 and 5.2. I don't know what I think about running inside. I hit the damn emergency stop button 4 times by accident stopping the treadmill, so that was aggravating. It makes me dread winter when running outside may not be possible very often. But ya, isn't crazy that we're looking forward to more of this? It's great!

Started C25K 9/28/09

"Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?'"
    - Peter Maher, Canadian marathon runner

• lauraw721 Amateur 17 posts since
    Jun 26, 2009
    114. Oct 9, 2009 7:55 PM (in response to jemjem)
    Sorry about your ankle jem. I noticed a new C25K thread started tonight, so maybe you can join that poster in week 1. Definitely post here too though to let us know how it's coming!

Started C25K 9/28/09

"Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?'"
    - Peter Maher, Canadian marathon runner

• SMARIETTA Legend 302 posts since
    Oct 3, 2009
    115. Oct 11, 2009 4:53 AM (in response to Tika417)

Did W2D1 outing yesterday---- it was great!

I am not entirely a novice at running---- but in the past I have done too much too early and either ended up getting hurt---or running to much to early without adequate base would leave me feeling beat up constantly

Looks like the C25k method---with only running 3 times a week leaves plenty of time for recuperation----plus-- I finally feel like I am learning to pace myself within my capabilities----- I think previously I was just pushing to "fast" a pace to early in the experience.

I finished the outing yesterday thinking"sheesh-is THAT all ya got-- I wanna do this all day!"

I gotta confess----  like Jess--- I am cheating a bit---- I am doing 4 sets of the run /walk out and four sets of the run walk BACK--- which takes me over the time limmit--- but it works for me

I am an early to bed early to rise kind of guy---- so I get up early and feed my 2 dogs and take them for a short walk-------- breakfast, cofee and the first of my 2 newspapers----and then I take my younger dog for about a 1/2 hour walk--- then i head for MY C25K workout and do the 5 minute walking warm up---- by that time I am fed, loose and warmed up---and everything flows so well.

Yesterday---- temps in the 40's, overcast sky, but brilliant foiliage, walked up within about 5 feet of a great blue heron---- running along--noticing the different sensation of running on the grass--running on pea gravel,running on a boardwalk----the diffferent smell running along a marsh with cattails--- hearing the wind rustle them---- I don't know how I am going to handle the tedium of slogging along on a treadmill when the weather gets real nasty--- I am going to avoid that as far as humanly possible and really commit to running outside through the winter as far as possible

also--- started a modest weight lifting program on the  the days of no running---- did that friday--ran saturday-- today is a lift day-------starting very slow with that as well.-- my legs feel so good this morning I am resisting the urge to run 2 days in a row.-- monday i have work which will include a LOT of 2 story ladder climbing--- so I will not run monday---- but Tuesday and Thursday will  be my other   Week 2 "runs"

my very best wishes to all--- and we all make it to week 9!

stephen

• disneygal2 Legend 455 posts since
    Sep 30, 2009
    116. Oct 11, 2009 10:46 AM (in response to Tika417)

Congratulations Stephen for restraining yourself from running a marathon  already!   We WILL get to week nine without injury and be ready to race!   I've read some of the other starting C25K and it is inspiring how the group keeps plugging along and then they share about their 5K's.  I do week 3 day one tomorrow.   I work 8 hours on my feet with lots of walking at Disneyland today so this is a rest day for me!   Yesterday I was "running" late to work so I literally was running the far distance from parking to clock in.   I was glad I was able to do it.  I didn't think I could make it in time but I did it thanks to my endurance being up.    Now it is time for me to watch my California Angels in the playoffs...   I do believe in Angels.

Jess

PRAISE GOD!!!

Couch to 5 K Graduation Day November 26, 2009

Dana Hills Turkey Trot  Thanksgiving Day 2009 5 K....  Time 32:22  MY FIRST 5k

Jan 9 Irvine 5k Time 32:52

Feb 7 Super Bowl 10k  1:08:31  MY FIRST 10K

September 5 2010  DISNEYLAND HALF MARATHON:  2:41:00

• jwsamuel Amateur 19 posts since
    Sep 28, 2009

Well, it was W2D3 for me today. This day was totally different. Instead of running on the street in my neighborhood at night, I went to a nearby park in the morning. It was great. A lake on one side, trees all around, and I was able to run on a mix of paved trails and grass.

My days are Tues-Thurs-Sunday, so this was a day with two in between. I am not sure if it was the two days off, the morning run or the yard work I did yesterday, but I had trouble getting going. It took until the fifth interval for my legs to really loosen up and feel good. I really had to push to get through interval three, but after that it got a lot easier.

Tuesday is Week Three, Day One...oh wait... I have tickets for the Phillies-Rockies playoff game that night. If the Phils don't wrap it up by Monday. I may have to rearrange my schedule.

Jim

• LibbyColorado Expert 53 posts since
    Oct 1, 2009

Jim, I felt the same way about W2D3 yesterday -- we had two days off of running, as well, so that could have been a factor. My legs were tired, but my breathing was great for the first time. I'll take it.

Week 2 is over, people! I'm excited. Today is a lifting day (leaving in 20 minutes) and tomorrow we're going to try to get back outside...it snowed yesterday, so we were on the track at our gym. We did, however, complete a little over 2 miles, which made us both happy.

Good to be back online!

http://pinkandimperfect.blogspot.com

We're crazy and in love. Can we do these 101 things?

• WetSneakers Expert 40 posts since
    Oct 5, 2009
    119. Oct 11, 2009 9:43 AM (in response to Tika417)

I did W2D1 on Friday and it felt really good. I was actually getting anxious to run again during the walking parts, but made sure to wait till it was time. Yesterday I did a mellow 3 mi walk around the lake with a friend. It was a little weird when she needed a rest half way through when I felt great. This afternoon is W2D2 and I'm looking forward to getting out there.

If folks aren't doing it already, I highly recommend poking around some of the similar threads of people who started before us. It's inspiring to see people struggle in the begging and then skip ahead a few pages to see them finishing week 6 or so.

Shell

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 36 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...