Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3472 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 24, 2010 4:41 PM by ultimatehlth RSS
Lacey Lutes Rookie 4 posts since
Jul 2, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 9, 2009 2:22 PM

I pulled a back muscle- marathon in 9 days!

Help!

I have been training for my first marathon since early June. I completed my 20 mile run just fine, and I am in my taper now. Last Saturday I was moving my bed and pulled my lower left back muscle. I went to the docter and I could barely walk and he gave me vicodin and soma. I treated my injury with heat pads and hot tubbing I have absolutely not run since that day at all. I am still very sore and tight, but able to walk and stretch. I am very worried about the marathon. It is just a pull, not a tear. I know that because I was in my taper I am not missing any big runs, but does it seem possible to do this Nike SF marathon on October 18th? Obviously my back health is more important than one race. Any advice would be super! Thanks,

Lacey 

• dukefan86 Amateur 31 posts since
    Oct 18, 2007
    1. Oct 11, 2009 5:39 AM (in response to Lacey Lutes)
    Re: I pulled a back muscle- marathon in 9 days!

Glad to hear you're on the mend. How are you feeling today? Have you been able to run at all since your post? It might be worth a call to the doctor you saw (you'd probably talk with a nurse first) tomorrow (Monday) morning to update him/her on your progress and get advice about the race.

Good luck, and speedy healing!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,389 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Oct 11, 2009 11:29 AM (in response to Lacey Lutes)

You should be OK for the marathon, as long as your back is OK.  I hurt my leg one year on my last long run.  I did no running for two weeks, then a couple 3-milers a few days before the marathon.  I went slower than planned for the race, just to make sure the leg didn't act up.  Just get the back in shape.

Len

Len

• Mousekawhitz Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 22, 2010
    4. Jun 22, 2010 10:47 AM (in response to Lacey Lutes)

I have done this exact thing and I have 4 days left now until Seattle marathon and I was wondering what your outcome was did you do the marathon?

• ultimatehlth Pro 118 posts since
    Jul 13, 2009
    6. Jun 24, 2010 4:41 PM (in response to Mousekawhitz)

Get a professional massage or 2 between now and then. Soak in an Epsom salt bath (warm not hot) to reduce inflammation and take Alieve not Advil. Use a foam roller on your back and hamstrings before you warm-up, then stretch. Don't forget to stretch your iliopsoas (hip Flexors) often over looked. Make sure your shoes are still providing support.

Good luck.

Personal Fitness Trainer Los Angeles

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points