Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

61195 Views 525 Replies Latest reply: Sep 29, 2012 11:04 PM by Couch2Trackula RSS Go to original post 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 36 Previous Next
  • drinkup Amateur 35 posts since
    Oct 6, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    120. Oct 11, 2009 11:58 AM (in response to Tika417)
    Re: Starting C25k tomorrow 9/29. Anyone want to Join?

Hi everyone> I just finished w1. My shins killed. I ran outside today which just seem so perfect. The leaves are changing, and it looked so peaceful.  I can't say I care for the music on the podcast. I got the first one downloaded on my mp3 player and I honestly can't figure out how I did it. I took hours out of a few days to do it. My w2 starts tuesday.  The minute goes by fast. I'm hoping the next run gets eaier on my shins. Hope everyone is having a great Sunday!

D

• jwsamuel Amateur 19 posts since
    Sep 28, 2009
    121. Oct 11, 2009 12:23 PM (in response to drinkup)
    Re: Starting C25k tomorrow 9/29. Anyone want to Join?

I am not nuts about the music on the podcasts either. I like not having to use a watch for the interval times. Maybe I'll do my own with music I like!!

Jim

• ChristinaL215 Expert 60 posts since
    Sep 17, 2008

Hi everyone!

Confession time - I didn't run this weekend and I should have - I went away for the weekend and never went to the gym. I had planned to run today when I came home, but as always plans change and we spent more time out of town than I had expected, so it's now 11pm and we just got in the door! Thankfully I have tomorrow off from work and I will absolutely hit the gym as soon as I get up! We did a lot of walking while we were away in Montreal - lots of hills there, and I'm very sore as it is - so I'm guessing I got enough exercise to at least make up for not running... I hope! I'll finish week 1 tomorrow, and start week 2 on Wednesday, unless I need to add a day 4 to get back on track, we'll see how it goes tomorrow morning.

Sounds like everyone else is doing well, it's inspiring me to get up and run in the morning at the very least!

What people say you cannot do, you try and find that you can. ~ Henry David Thoreau
  • ChristinaL215 Expert 60 posts since
    Sep 17, 2008

W1D3 today - it wasn't too bad after 3 days off. I expected it to be a lot worse, I guess all the walking this past weekend did help a little! My left shin was hurting quite a bit, but mostly when I was walking, I didn't notice it as much while I was running. I'm starting week 2 on Wednesday.

@ Fit - thanks for the encouraging words! I absolutely need time to myself after work, so working out hopefully can replace sitting on the couch and watching tv until I fall asleep - usually doesn't take too long after a 12 hr shift! I found that running did help me de-stress after work last week, so I'll try it again this week. I'll be due for a run on Friday, so that will have to be after work! And yes - my house is usually very clean! Working in a sterile environment just becomes a habit, so it just continues at home!

What people say you cannot do, you try and find that you can. ~ Henry David Thoreau
  • PeeWeeHerman Amateur 21 posts since
    Oct 7, 2009
    124. Oct 12, 2009 3:05 PM (in response to Tika417)
    Runner's World Week 2 ALMOST DONE !!!
    I'm so very happy!  I can not even believe I'm running!  I'm almost done with week 2.  I have one more run this 'week' - 4 minutes x 6 intervals. 
    I don't think that I've ever run these distances in my entire life.  Including the president's fitness challenge in high school.  It's amazing.  I have so much more energy.  I have to remember that when I have a bad day to just redo it again.  It's no big deal.  It may take me longer to complete the plan but I'm realizing that it's not really about the destination, eh?
  • disneygal2 Legend 455 posts since
    Sep 30, 2009
    125. Oct 12, 2009 5:40 PM (in response to PeeWeeHerman)
    completed wk 3 day one~

Way to go Christina & PeeWee!!   It does feel so good as we get our workouts in and progress towards our goals!

I finished Week 3 day 1 today and it was great!   I got more out of breath on the 3 minute runs but I was trying to maintain a decent pace with the running.  It is amazing to me how much ground one can cover in just 3 minutes of running!

Jess

PRAISE GOD!!!

Couch to 5 K Graduation Day November 26, 2009

Dana Hills Turkey Trot  Thanksgiving Day 2009 5 K....  Time 32:22  MY FIRST 5k

Jan 9 Irvine 5k Time 32:52

Feb 7 Super Bowl 10k  1:08:31  MY FIRST 10K

September 5 2010  DISNEYLAND HALF MARATHON:  2:41:00

• deniden Amateur 24 posts since
    Sep 29, 2009
    126. Oct 13, 2009 5:58 AM (in response to disneygal2)
    finished Week 2!
    I finished Week 2 last night, 1 day behind schedule to a hectic weekend! I dug up all of our flower beds early yesterday morning (to plant my fall bulbs for spring flowers) and then did my run in the afternoon - my muscles are killin me today!!!

-----

Denielle

started 1st C25K on 09/28/09, completed program

re-started C25K on 10/10/11 at W4D1

• SMARIETTA Legend 302 posts since
    Oct 3, 2009
    127. Oct 13, 2009 6:53 AM (in response to deniden)
    Re: finished Week 2!

I am several days behind most people in this thread--- I can't help feeling envious of the folks who are already into W3

I did the W2D2 workout this morning---temp. about 50----- leaf color has to be peaking right about now-- none of the trees are bare------and some are still green------ but full color on others----no wind--but overcast--- If i had to describe the morning--it would be "gentle"---- If the sun had been shining--- it would have been too "in your face spectacular"----- I kind of prefer the slightly melancholy overcast sky sometimes-------

anyhow-- enough about the favorable weather---workout was fine-- as previously noted- I am sort of cheating---- I do 4 repeats out and 4 repeats back--which  takes me over the official time limmit----but today I decided to pick up the tempo ever so slightly--open up the stride a bit and increase the turnover  just a bit.------ I was kind of suprised at how much FURTHER out I went on my 4 repeats. No huffing and puffing----- but enough additional effort required to know that I had increased the pace.

I WAS a bit dis-appointed to note that it took me 40 seconds longer to get back than it took me to go out---which I choose to rationalize away by telling myself the slight hill involved( I hesitate to call it a hill--let's say"rise")-- anyhow the hill was more uphill on the way back.

the whole thing out and back--is now  between 2 and 2-1/4 miles

my  delusions are such--that i think if you held a gun to my head I could "run" the whole thing-----but it would be a stretch--and I would pay for it later.

I have complete confidence that within a few weeks it won't be the slightest problem

as i said I am envious of the folks who have started W3 already--because on the schedule it looks like W3 and W4 are when things start getting interesting.

BTW---  20 years of practicing my trade has given me some bockety knees which I am babying by running OFF pavement---and a few workplace incidents have given me arthritis in my feet. This morning I found a web site----which shows DOZENS of  different ways to lace up your shoes----. Isn't that wild--- dozens of ways to lace your shoes?---anyhow I tried a different way this morning-and the difference was tremendous. If anybody else is having problems on the TOP of your feet----speak up and I will try to dig out the info to lead you to that site--- it made a world of difference in my foot comfort instantly!

Best wishes to all,

stephen

Sep 29, 2009
    128. Oct 13, 2009 6:55 AM (in response to SMARIETTA)
    Re: lacing website

Stephen-

I would definitely be interested in the website about lacing shoes... I sprained my left foot falling down some stairs a few years ago and every now and then when I'm running I get pain in the exact spot...

Thanks!

Denielle

-----

Denielle

• Pantseatflyer Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 7, 2009
    129. Oct 13, 2009 7:25 AM (in response to deniden)
    Re: lacing website

Starting W2D1 tonight.  I repeated W1 last week probably out of fear.  I did realize that repeating week 1 was a little too easy and I should have went ahead and moved on to week 2.

But, this is not a race to see who gets to week 9 the fastest, it's a life changing journey for the traveler to discovery.

• SMARIETTA Legend 302 posts since
    Oct 3, 2009
    130. Oct 13, 2009 8:03 AM (in response to deniden)

Lacing website------

Ok--- gotta point out here that in life my expertise lies more in the area of climbing ladders and hitting things with a hammer than with computers

site appears to be http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/lacingmethods.htm

II stumbled across it by backing out of the "Newbie Cafe( where we are now-- into the general running website---and then into the "medical tent" portion----scroll down to the second page----someone By the name of Katie Darold Asks"what would cause pain in the top of my foot?)---- there were 3 answers--one of which directed her to the lacing web site----- it certainley helped me.

again- my apologies for my computerized ineptitude--we all have areas of expertise---and this isn't one of Mine!

Best wishes-- hope the info helped

stephen

Sep 29, 2009
    131. Oct 13, 2009 8:09 AM (in response to SMARIETTA)

Stephen-

Got the link!

Thanks!

Denielle

-----

Denielle

• PeeWeeHerman Amateur 21 posts since
    Oct 7, 2009
    132. Oct 13, 2009 10:03 AM (in response to Tika417)
    Uh Oh - this aching knee ain't good

You know... I kept reading the articles where the authors all say not to push the beginning.  How it takes time for the bones, ligaments, muscles, etc. to get used to the new activity.  Some of the times I think, "You can go faster.  You can go longer." 

Well, my left knee has rebelled.  I think I may have pushed it too hard yesterday.  About half way thru the workout, my knee had a weird ache.  It's not like I haven't had weird aches over the past two weeks.  As a matter of fact, it seems as though each and every part of my body has screamed and hollered at me.  Up till now, I've just pushed thru it. 

Yesterday when I was done, I put a bag of frozen vegetables on the aching knee and hoped that it would just go away like all the other aches and pains.  Today it's still there.  When it warms up, I will go out and walk slowly to see what the current situation is.  I'm hoping that it's something that will pass quickly.  We shall see.

So for those of you that think you are behind in the schedule or can't wait until you can do the 3-4 minute intervals... take my advice as I don't use it... patience...

• drinkup Amateur 35 posts since
    Oct 6, 2009
    133. Oct 13, 2009 11:34 AM (in response to PeeWeeHerman)
    Re: Uh Oh - this aching knee ain't good

Peewee I hope it recovers quickly. Some times I run slower then I should. But I also read it takes time to build up those muscles to be able to run.

I finished w2d1 just now. I stretched forever before I got on. And my shins didnt start to really hurt till the end, that and my right inner foot. It will get use to it soon. I will tell you that this summer I had huge issue with running shoes. I tried every single pair I could find, and my heels slipped so much that I ended up with blisters on top of blister. SO for the whole summer I wore walking sandles. I can say with tears in my eyes I have found a pair by NIke in the kids section that havent given me any blisters. So, my thing is I spent all summer in sandles, I think my legs are getting use to sneakers again.

Im coming down with a cold, Im gonna fight it and keep working out. Hopefully it just goes away.

Anyone get any snow? The weather lady had a huge smile on her face when she told us maybe snow. I like the first snow day, but not in october. No snow though, just rain. Im in Southern Maine, so maybe they got some up north.

D

• PearsonFlyer Amateur 23 posts since
    Sep 29, 2009
    134. Oct 13, 2009 11:57 AM (in response to PeeWeeHerman)
    Re: Uh Oh - this aching knee ain't good

I did W2D3 yesterday, and also did something to my knee, so I'm feeling your pain.  I hope it heals up and isn't anything that lasts too long.  I'm going to completely give mine a rest tonight instead of doing my off-day walking and weight routine, and hope it's better for tomorrow's W3D1.  Otherwise, I'm going to be in trouble.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm also a recently-diagnosed diabetic, and because of this, I'm on South Beach Phase 1 in addition to the C25K.  My blood sugar when I was first diagnosed 33 days ago was 316 (and that was fasting for 16 hours).  Really, just out of control.  Well, over the past 33 days of SB1 and the C25K, I've lowered my blood sugar by really incredible levels.  Yesterday after my C25K routine, my blood sugar was 74!  I'm really excited about that, because it's well within normal range.  It's still a little higher (around 120ish) in the morning before I get any exercising done, but my average is now under 100 for the day, almost every day.  If this keeps up, I won't be diabetic any more, and that'll be awesome.

I sure do miss carbs, though.  I haven't had more than 10 carbs a day in any day for the past 33 days.  No cheat meal or anything.  It's been tough, but it's getting easier as I learn what I can eat and how to prepare decent, good-for-you food.  I'm on a high-calorie version, because I don't want to lose any weight, but my wife is doing this with me and has lost 12 pounds in the same timeframe.  So, for those of you who both want to get healthier AND lose weight, I would highly recommend South Beach in addition to the C25K.  The exercise from the running really helps cut down the cravings, and with everything, I have so much more energy now.

Started C25K on 9/29/09 in Buffalo NY

Lindsay's Legacy 5k 11/14/09 - 34:10 (11:00/mi)

Turkey Trot 8k 11/26/09 - 57:24 (11:33/mi)

Reindeer Run 5k 12/5/09 - 32:10 (10:22/mi)

Shamrock Run 8k 3/06/10 - 47:32 (9:29/mi)

Bengal Run 5k 3/20/10 - 27:30 (8:52/mi)

350.org Green Run 4.35mi 10/09/10 - 41:22 (9:31/mi)

Sarkin Memorial 5k 10/16/10 - 27:02 (8:42/mi)

1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 36 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...