Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

8360 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2009 6:22 PM by B2R Racing LLC RSS
emilysparkle Amateur 19 posts since
Sep 15, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 2, 2009 10:59 AM

Face mask for running in the cold?

Hi all, does anybody out there wear a breathable face/mouth mask to cover their mouth when running in the cold?

If anybody has some recommendations, that would be great. Cold air REALLY takes a toll on my throat and lungs and I can barely breathe if it's cold outside when I'm running.

Thanks!

Emily

• mt232 Pro 64 posts since
    Nov 13, 2008
    1. Oct 2, 2009 11:04 AM (in response to emilysparkle)
    Re: Face mask for running in the cold?

Honestly, I have such a mask for walking the dog, but I've been told that at 6ft, 240lbs if I wear it (its black) and I'm seen running at night in old sweats....the police will be getting phone calls from concerned neighbors along my route.

So, I think, unless your 6 feet tall or taller, or you wear all black at night......your all set.

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    2. Oct 2, 2009 11:25 AM (in response to emilysparkle)

www.buffwear.com

there are about 50 ways to wear then from headbands to face covers - if you start with it over your face and get warm just pull it downand leave it aroud your neck - if you gert colder - twist it and it can cover your head and face

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• tatcat99 Amateur 15 posts since
    Oct 3, 2009
    3. Oct 16, 2009 4:26 AM (in response to emilysparkle)

Hi -

I live in Massachusetts where it is snowing right now!!   I wear a Seirus brand facemask - below is a link.  I call it my "ninja mask" but it works GREAT in blizzards!

http://www.snowshack.com/detail/SNW+SI-03509+L_Seirus+Innovation+Masque+Black

Happy running!

T

• cpa0217 Pro 79 posts since
    Sep 26, 2007
    4. Oct 16, 2009 5:47 PM (in response to mt232)

mt232 wrote:

Honestly, I have such a mask for walking the dog, but I've been told that at 6ft, 240lbs if I wear it (its black) and I'm seen running at night in old sweats....the police will be getting phone calls from concerned neighbors along my route.

So, I think, unless your 6 feet tall or taller, or you wear all black at night......your all set.

What a riot!!!
  • dfitz* Legend 612 posts since
    Aug 20, 2008
    5. Oct 17, 2009 11:37 PM (in response to emilysparkle)
    I have the same airway issue in cold air. I have tried several things, and I too bought a Buff that I like better than the typical black ski mask (balaclava)-type garment. It's also more breathable than a bandanna. Another trick that helps me, especially when not wearing the Buff, is to start out slow and warm up, breathing in thru my nose & out thru my mouth during that time. My airway seems to react better after my run if I do this at the beginning of my run. Your nose warms the air. After a while you might start breathing too hard to continue the in-thru-the-nose technique, and that's normal (don't let anyone tell you it's not).
  • DCtoPgh Community Moderator 3,033 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    6. Oct 18, 2009 7:33 AM (in response to dfitz*)
    I've run when it was 10 degrees before windchill without a facemask and I've been fine. BUT I have exercise-induced asthma that crushes my lungs when it gets cold out- I can tell a HUGE difference now that it's just in the 40s. If the cold is so tough on your lungs, is it worth getting checked out? I ran 2 marathons before getting diagnosed, I always thought running was supposed to be hard which meant it was supposed to be tough to breath. Wrong.

I do today what you won't, so tomorrow I do what you can't.

My Blog | i2P

• dwm082 Community Moderator 1,063 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    7. Oct 18, 2009 8:41 PM (in response to DCtoPgh)

I run with a Psolar.X face mask when it gets to be sub-zero. It has a filter that warms the air as you breathe in so that you never have freezing air hitting your lungs. I have the half-facemask, but I'd recommend the balaclava if you can get it. The half-facemask stays up by hooking over your ears, which doesn't work too well for me.

The mask is incredibly effective -- I ended up overheating a few times while running with it! The other problem I've experienced is that sometimes the air I exhale ends up sneaking out behind the mask and hitting my eyes. Before long, I'm fighting to keep my eyes open as my eyelashes freeze together. I find it amusing, but I'm weird that way.

Don

2012 Race Schedule

Providence Marathon (4:48:55)

Buffalo Half-Marathon (2:03:16)

Chicago Marathon (October 7)

• B2R Racing LLC Rookie 5 posts since
    Jul 24, 2009
    8. Dec 6, 2009 6:22 PM (in response to emilysparkle)

I would only cover my ears, unless its under 40 degrees, because depending on your race and speed, you could sweat through it and make yourself even colder...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Incoming Links