Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2338 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2009 9:23 AM by glencantrun RSS
glencantrun Rookie 6 posts since
Oct 7, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 17, 2009 10:56 PM

Treadmill vs Running Outside

I just finished W5D3.  Previous to today I've been running on a treadmill.  Those runs on the treadmill were relatively smooth.  I finally decided to do the 2 mile run(W5D3) since I knew of a great place to run with the mileage marked.  To my surprise, I struggled mightily.  I didn't stop but my heartrate jumped thru the roof.  It felt like I was running with magnets pulling my feet to the ground.  I found this very discouraging.  I'm wondering if anyone had a similar experience.  Was I fooling myself with the progress I made on the treadmill?

12/31/69 to 9/6/09          Hated running

9/7/09                             Started C25K

• dfitz* Legend 612 posts since
    Aug 20, 2008
    1. Oct 17, 2009 11:16 PM (in response to glencantrun)
    Re: Treadmill vs Running Outside
    No, you're not alone. If you do a search you'll find many, many previous threads on this topic. The mechanics and physics of running on a treadmill vs. running on the ground are indeed different, so don't be concerned that you noticed that difference when you went outside. It takes getting used to. As soon as you do, I think you'll prefer running outside. Many people (including me) find that I can run significantly faster outside, because I'm not obsessed with that electronic display and my stride is not constrained like it is in the small area of a moving belt. I use treadmills for cardio fitness purposes when weather prevents running outdoors. I don't really consider it "running" in the same sense as running on the ground because it's just an artificial approximation of the real experience, like a stationary bike vs. a real one.
  • dfitz* Legend 612 posts since
    Aug 20, 2008
    2. Oct 17, 2009 11:19 PM (in response to dfitz*)
    I should clarify -- I am not saying that your training thus far is not "running" -- You shouldn't let the odd transition between treadmill and road deter you at all. Your progress is real progress; it's just a different experience and you'll get used to it if you keep it up! Good luck.
  • Kaenman Pro 60 posts since
    Sep 13, 2009
    3. Oct 18, 2009 12:26 AM (in response to glencantrun)
    I have read that people tend to over estimate their pace on a treadmill.  Even though the treadmill says you are running a 7 minute mile, you might not really be achieving that.

• DaveVause Community Moderator 1,447 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Oct 18, 2009 2:19 AM (in response to Kaenman)
    Many people speed up when making the transition from treadmill to the outside in their excitement. As a beginner, take the pace easy....you should be able to hold a conversation while you run.

• classicallytrained Legend 375 posts since
    Jul 20, 2009
    5. Oct 18, 2009 7:21 AM (in response to DaveVause)

I have only been running since June. I have noticed a difference in the muscles I use.

Whenever I run outside, my "quads" really get a workout and are sore the next day. Even with stretching before and after, I definitely feel them.

When I run on the treadmill, I feel more tenderness in my calves. Stretching all the muscles helps the soreness.

I just find it fascinating that different muscles are affected different ways with the same activity.

• Dominic Lascara Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 28, 2008
    6. Oct 18, 2009 8:30 AM (in response to glencantrun)
    When I do have to run on the treadmill, which is basically most of the winter because I hate running in the dark and the cold, I always set the elevation to at least 1.5 to 2.0 for a flat road type run.  I have found that when I get back to running outside, I don't lose any speed or loss of stamina.  I live in a flat area, so the treadmill is where I practice hills and sprints on hills.
  • Healthymommy1 Amateur 8 posts since
    Oct 17, 2009
    7. Oct 18, 2009 9:17 AM (in response to glencantrun)
    Yes, running outside is much more challenging, but I think much more interesting!  Treadmill running is a great way to start if you are new to running and get your body used to it.  I find that treadmills are boring and I honestly don't want to run as far!

Running is my ME time!

Proud member of Internet Ceo Moms

http://www.internetceomoms.com/healthymommy

Read my article about being a stay at home mom

http://www.examiner.com/x-26395-Charlotte-StayatHome-Moms-Examiner

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...