Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

66303 Views 525 Replies Latest reply: Sep 29, 2012 11:04 PM by Couch2Trackula Go to original post 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 36 Previous Next
  • LibbyColorado Expert 53 posts since
    Oct 1, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    165. Oct 19, 2009 12:27 PM (in response to WetSneakers)
    Re: Something strange is happening

So I have to throw my fears out there...

W3D3 was okay, but it hurt during some of it. A bit laborious, you know?

Tonight we run W4D1, and I'm just plain nervous -- what if I can't do it? And in five weeks -- FIVE WEEKS -- is the Turkey Trot...how on earth is that going to be possible? I know it can be, I just need to stop overthinking it all.

There, the fears are out there. Now to get over them.

http://pinkandimperfect.blogspot.com

We're crazy and in love. Can we do these 101 things?

• lauraw721 Amateur 17 posts since
    Jun 26, 2009
    166. Oct 19, 2009 5:21 PM (in response to LibbyColorado)
    Re: Something strange is happening
    I think I may repeat week 3. My schedule was off last week and I only did 2 days of week three last week. I'm still on the fence. I don't know if I should repeat week 3, or just power through and start week 4 tomorrow. How was day 1 of week 4 those who have done it?

Started C25K 9/28/09

"Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?'"
    - Peter Maher, Canadian marathon runner

• disneygal2 Legend 455 posts since
    Sep 30, 2009
    167. Oct 19, 2009 7:07 PM (in response to lauraw721)
    Re: Just finished Wk 4 day one~!

I just came back from week 4 day one.   I thought it was going to be real hard. I am a bit sore in the back of my thighs from  hiking I did yesterday.  But for some reason I had the right adrenaline today! It went great!   when I did the 3 and 5 minute runs I was able to focus on running and not stopwatch watching!  From previous work outs  I knew roughly how far I could run for 3 & 5 minutes. I focused on running to my destination instead of watching the clock so much.   My calculations were right on!    I don't use the podcasts.  I think this is about the best I've felt since I started this.  I did not feel like going out to run today  either.  But I feel so good after I do it!  Hope Wednesdays day 2 goes as well.    Hope everyone has a good week and gets your runs in!  

Libby.. Of course you'll be ready for 5k!   Even if you stay on  a week some extra days.. you can just take walking breaks at your race.  You will still do great!  Remember one workout at a time.  Think how far you have come!  I'm doing a Turkey trot Thanksgiving day too~!

Jess

PRAISE GOD!!!

Couch to 5 K Graduation Day November 26, 2009

Dana Hills Turkey Trot  Thanksgiving Day 2009 5 K....  Time 32:22  MY FIRST 5k

Jan 9 Irvine 5k Time 32:52

Feb 7 Super Bowl 10k  1:08:31  MY FIRST 10K

September 5 2010  DISNEYLAND HALF MARATHON:  2:41:00

Oct 1, 2009
    168. Oct 20, 2009 8:11 AM (in response to disneygal2)

We did Week 4, Day 1! It happened! Amazingly, the first three minutes flew by...I actually thought at the end of it, "Really? That's it?" Ha! That's it. Wow.

I started really feeling the burn at the end of the second five minutes...my calves were TIRED. But we did it without stopping and we felt great afterwards.

At the very least, I know we can complete this week. Baby steps.

yay for those of us running on Thanksgiving!

• SMARIETTA Legend 302 posts since
    Oct 3, 2009
    169. Oct 20, 2009 8:39 AM (in response to LibbyColorado)

W3D2--- everything great---- first off- the weather----- almost 50 degrees this morning and termendous sun.- Everything spectacular. Last week or so- every morning I think that the fall leaves must be at their peak---and then the next day they are even more spectacular.

the brilliant sunshine this morning--- just made everything all the better--- running and listening to the crunch of the DRY leaves under foot--and looking up  at the trees and noticing there are really TWO different color shows going on--- the obvious one with the tops of the leaves-- but also a cool,more subtle one if you run UNDER a tree and look up  at the underside of the leaves---saw some really cool almost salmon orange ones today-------- plus you can't beat the weather----  Yestewrday  morning had a good frost--- but almost 50 degrees this morning----and going to reach the high 60's-almost 70 tommorrow and thursday

so-- how did the run go----- in a word, GREAT!

did the 5 minute warm up walk--- then ran 90 seconds and then walked 90 seconds- which i like to do as it reminds me to focus on the right pacing------and then I ran SIX repeats of 3 minutes run/1 minute walk.- ZERO problems. I could feel my knees where getting a work out--and my  upper legs felt ever so slightly tight immediately after--- but not unpleasant--did a 5 minute cool down walk--and by then everything felt A-OK

Plus running in windpants and a T shirt was great----- heck I might even dig some shorts back out for W3D3 on thursday if it is really going to push 70 degrees!

BTW- I am glad things are working for Libby- I was kind of wondering a few days ago because she mentioned  her partner was struggling a bit and they were going to ad an extra day in W3. I t seemed like Libby was having a little better experience with this than her partner and I was thinking maybe the partner might get dis-heartened and quit the C25K plan-- hop everything continues to improve

I will finish W3 on thursday-and I think I will do it as  a series of 8 repeats of 3mx1m. I think I am gonna run it on a different section of the towpath that has some 1/4 mile markers so I have a better idea how far i am actually covering than just time guestimates.

Best wishes to all--and get out and see the leaves!

stephen

• drinkup Amateur 35 posts since
    Oct 6, 2009
    170. Oct 20, 2009 11:15 AM (in response to Tika417)
    Re: Starting C25k tomorrow 9/29. Anyone want to Join?

I just finished w3d1 and i can feel it. Actually everytime I run I feel it for a day. The three minute runs werent to bad. The last 3 min was tough. But I felt I got a great workout.

I was excited and nervous before I started.

D

• DGail Rookie 6 posts since
    Oct 20, 2009
    171. Oct 20, 2009 1:59 PM (in response to Tika417)
    Re: Starting C25k tomorrow 9/29. Anyone want to Join?
    This is my first post on this site...glad to have found it and enjoying all of your updates. I've never been a runner nor have I really pushed myself into any cardio workouts in 10+ years. I'm 38. I just finished d3w3. My body feels weird...legs wobbly all the time-not just when I run but I do feel my energy level is up overall. I've practiced yoga for years so I'm hyperaware of differences in my body and I feel like a stranger to myself after only 3 weeks of this...tight in weird places, loose in weird places-no pain though. Anyone else noticing changes?
  • deniden Amateur 24 posts since
    Sep 29, 2009
    173. Oct 21, 2009 5:47 AM (in response to Tika417)
    Did W4D1 last night! :)

So, I did W4D1 last night!

Can you guys believe we are already at Week 4? Crazy!

Anyways, I was really nervous about doing it because, um hello, 5 whole minutes of running TWICE?! I was scared! I feel like I always have a hard time with the first jog/run of the session, my breathing feels off and I often feel like I'm struggling. By the end of the first 5 minute run, I felt more in control. After the 2nd 3 minute run, my hamstrings started to hurt and I got a dull pain in my right knee. When it was all over, I was exhausted but so proud of myself for actually doing it! I had to mentally talk to myself to keep myself going because I felt like I was struggling during the final 5 minute run. I feel like the first run of the week is always hard for me and then the 2nd and 3rd one aren't so bad.

I have found over the past few weeks that I'm sleeping better and have more energy overall. I have had chronic back pain for the past few years from 2 car accidents, which was part of the reason I stopped my old rigorous workout routine all-together. Since I started this program, I've noticed I hardly have the back pain, and I don't need to stretch or crack my back anymore for comfort. Love it!

-----

Denielle

started 1st C25K on 09/28/09, completed program

re-started C25K on 10/10/11 at W4D1

• k9178 Pro 92 posts since
    Oct 14, 2009
    174. Oct 21, 2009 9:41 AM (in response to deniden)
    I did W4D1 this morning
    I finished W4D1 this morning.  It was tough to get started, and I was definitely breathing hard.  The best news is that I did it without stopping.  I have never been a runner, and I believed I could never run for many reasons (asthma, bad knees, etc.).  It is so great to know that I can actually do this.  I am actually somewhat enjoying the process.  I run with Robert's podcasts and they help me time the runs and keep me going.  If I was just doing it myself, I would probably quit long before the time is up.  I feel good too. My knees are not doing badly and shin splints that I had before are no longer a problem.  Keep up the great work everyone!

Started C25K 10/1/09 C25K Graduate 12/12/09

I started out not being a runner, but now I can say I really enjoy it. I use the Jeff Galloway method.

Miraclebabies.org 5K 11/15/09 43:17

St. Patricks Day 10K 3/17/12 1:30:28

http://beachbodycoach.com/kwilli9178

• LB82 Amateur 15 posts since
    Oct 7, 2009
    175. Oct 21, 2009 10:15 AM (in response to k9178)
    Finished W3
    Today was W3D3 for me, and it felt great!  I pushed myself at the end to go a little faster, and now I am really feeling the endorphins!  I'm super excited to start W4 on Friday!  The momentum is really picking up on the program and heading towards the 20 min run in W5. 
  • ChristinaL215 Expert 60 posts since
    Sep 17, 2008
    176. Oct 21, 2009 11:02 AM (in response to LB82)
    Re: Finished W3

W2D3 for me today. It was not my best effort, the cold I had earlier this week has turned into the flu. My coughing / wheezing has made it tough to do the simple things, never mind running. I didn't want to fall even further behind everyone else on this forum, so I pushed myself to hit the gym today. I found the running part wasn't so bad on my legs, I felt that I've made some improvements in my ability to complete the intervals. The big problem I had today was my lungs, I just had such a hard time breathing / catching my breath after the runs that it really impeded my ability to do the workout. I did complete it, and had to stop short only once on the last 90 second run because my wheezing was out of control. I'm looking forward to week 3, I know it will be a big challenge for me!

I'm hoping to be on my way back to good health by Friday, to start week 3. Good luck to everyone else, your progress and success with weeks 3 and 4 give me lots of hope to be successful when I attempt it!

What people say you cannot do, you try and find that you can. ~ Henry David Thoreau
  • Sdnoles1 Amateur 10 posts since
    Oct 26, 2008
    177. Oct 21, 2009 4:19 PM (in response to ChristinaL215)

Finished W3D1  got a bit off track last week but back to it.  Today went well. The first 3 minute run was easier than I thought.  I do the podcasts, so when he said it was time to walk again I was like...what???  Really???? The second 3 minutes was a bit tougher toward the last minute but I pushed through it.  I am just so amazed at how I feel afterwards, energized and like I have accomplished something good for myself.  Why did I not start doing this sooner?  Well, I guess better late than never right?  I have set a goal to run a 5K in Feb. So lets do this!  I think I can!

Oct 1, 2009
    178. Oct 21, 2009 7:49 PM (in response to Sdnoles1)
    We're on our way out the door for W4D2...we're both feeling a little under the weather, but not too much. It might just all be mental. We'll see how tonight goes...

• lauraw721 Amateur 17 posts since
    Jun 26, 2009
    179. Oct 21, 2009 8:18 PM (in response to LibbyColorado)
    Completed W3D2 (again). Thank you for all the updates from everyone in week 4. I agree that looking at it it is certainly intimidating. But, hearing everyone saying that they were able to do it is very encouraging. Congrats to everyone for sticking with it!

Started C25K 9/28/09

"Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?'"
    - Peter Maher, Canadian marathon runner

1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 36 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...