Skip navigation

1297 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Oct 21, 2009 6:03 AM by MCM Ron
DaveVause Community Moderator 1,447 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 20, 2009 2:01 AM

5 Days

Good morning, Runners,

Its a chilly 31F in the Md. 'burbs. Denise and I are headed out, she for 3.75 miles, me for another 3 after I run with her.

Looks like the weather forecast is holding nicely for Sunday: 50F, 10% precip probability, and 10 mph winds. I've never done a marathon that wasn't in fairly heavy wind. Looks like this might be my nicest weather ever!

Healthy running, folks.

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    1. Oct 20, 2009 5:57 AM (in response to DaveVause)
    Re: 5 Days
    Going for my 4 right now.  Did abs already.
  • Becky8846 Legend 686 posts since
    Apr 1, 2009
    2. Oct 20, 2009 8:40 AM (in response to dutch omi)

Woo hoo - a reply button!  I feel like I have Stockholm Syndrome - I get so happy when I get a reply button!

Anywho:  I did 4 miles this morning and had a blast with my fancy new watch.  It sure keeps me centered on what I'm doing.  I am learning bit by bit what is on it - so far it's much smarter than me!

Have y'all seen my fb post this morning?  My sister the nurse sent me this e-mail.  I'll reproduce it here.  I think these ideas can't hurt and they just may help:

...oh shoot...this thing won't let me copy and paste any more.  Here's the gist of it:  When you inhale or ingest a flu bug, it takes 2-3 days in your mouth, nose, or throat to "proliferate" (thrive, reproduce, breed, grow) and cause mischief to your body.  Prevention of flu is to keep the bugs from proliferating since it's almost impossible to avoid the bugs completely.  So here are some tips to avoid flu:  Gargle with salt water every day (the gugs can't survive this and get washed away).  Stop touching your face with your dirty hands.  Wash your hands.  Drink warm liquids (the gugs that weren't cleansed by a salt water gargle get washed down your throat where they can't stand the heat or your stomach before they proliferate).  Eat foods with vitamin C.

Stay healthy everyone!

• osu04alum@ Amateur 25 posts since
    Nov 1, 2007
    3. Oct 20, 2009 9:07 AM (in response to DaveVause)

I hadn't seen this posted anywhere, but did anyone else see what happened at the Des Moines Marathon last weekend?

D.M. Marathon: Train turns men's race into all-out sprint

Hopefully that link works.  The gist of it is that a train was passing during the race, and cut off the two leaders 400 meters til the finish!   crazy....

I did 9 last night; for today I'm trying to decide between getting in a few miles in this beautiful DC weather, going to the gym for cross training, or just resting.  Every decision feels like there's so much pressure now!!

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    4. Oct 20, 2009 9:42 AM (in response to osu04alum@)
    I ran 40 mins with no garmin this morning, no pace no distance.
  • DCtoPgh Community Moderator 3,033 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    5. Oct 20, 2009 9:59 AM (in response to BOSNPM)
    Runners high! I had the best. run. ever! Eep it was so amazing. Beautiful bright blue skies (NOT grey!) with sunshine and warmth (55 degrees). The leaves were changing and (no joke) the birds were chirping and the woodland creatures were out (chipmunks!). I ran on trails under gorgeous greens, yellows, oranges and reds. Even though I climbed 2800 feet over the 7.25 miles I came out with an average 8:58 mile! I even saw some low 7s on the downhills which is so super really fast for me. I'm going to try to make room for yoga a little later, but wow, running is about days like today Thanks for letting me share

I do today what you won't, so tomorrow I do what you can't.

My Blog | i2P

• RunDaddyRunx4 Legend 1,037 posts since
    May 12, 2008
    6. Oct 20, 2009 12:32 PM (in response to DCtoPgh)

Another nice 6 miler at 7.48 pace.  Actually 1 second faster than yesterday for same distance.  But today I ran with a buddy and we talked the whole way.  I guess my training is paying off.

Toby, hats off to you, I actually saw replies and theads on the the forum screen.

• PersianP Legend 468 posts since
    Oct 14, 2008
    7. Oct 20, 2009 1:22 PM (in response to DaveVause)
    Back to 16 miles for me, did only 11 yesterday and hiked 8 Sunday.
  • dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    8. Oct 20, 2009 1:27 PM (in response to PersianP)
    Did 4 fast ones, 9:10 pace and went for a beautiful hike this afternoon.  Life's good!
  • PersianP Legend 468 posts since
    Oct 14, 2008
    9. Oct 20, 2009 1:33 PM (in response to dutch omi)
    I like how you always keep positive!
  • badgergrl Legend 738 posts since
    Jan 17, 2008
    10. Oct 20, 2009 3:05 PM (in response to PersianP)
    I actually ran today!! It was slow and short (30 minutes running with a 5 min warm up and 10 min cool down walking).  Since September it's been the most activity that I've done and it felt good! Started getting a little chest pain at the end of the 30 minutes so I didn't push it, just kept it nice and slow and will start building back up!
  • MCM Ron Legend 1,916 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    11. Oct 21, 2009 6:03 AM (in response to badgergrl)

Perhaps not quite as bucolic as Kat's run, I also had a fabulous run yesterday evening in downtown Frederick.  Temp and humidity were perfect, the sunset gave way to a starry sky, and I managed a 23:25 for my first 5K loop.  The 2nd 5K was downright relaxed and I just enjoyed the run.  Ended up doing about 7 miles total.

My weekly 5Ks have been coming down about a 1/2 minute at a time as I've gotten back in shape after a lousy September.  Now I'm really getting back to where I should be, running-wise -- and hopefully I can challenge a 5 or 10k PR sometime soon!   I'll probably shoot for 23:00 next Tuesday night.

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.  (from my ice tea lid)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...