Skip navigation

99294 Views 590 Replies Latest reply: Apr 3, 2012 6:22 PM by Lorieann18031 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 40 Previous Next
  • Manda Clark Expert 46 posts since
    Nov 4, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    360. Oct 20, 2009 10:26 AM (in response to Neal E)
    Re: So do walkers just not talk to each other?

The Reply Button came back!  I have been having a heck of a time with this website.

Neal - Glad you are recovering.  I think I will stick to half marathons for the near future.  I was sore after, but a good sore, and I recovered pretty fast (It would have been faster, but I was at Disneyland, so I was running all over the parks after the race riding rides :-)  Sorry that I started throwing around chatboard speak.  I am just starting to learn it myself.  Thanks Susan for adding the explanation for me.

Susan - It sounds like a nice gym.  I am pretty good at tuning out the walking and watching TV if I can find something good on.  If you are not a big TV watcher in real life, it probably won't help too much at the gym.  But for me, I can spend hours sitting on the couch watching TV, why not do the same on the treadmill?    That is great that your DH is getting excited about going out with you.  I wish I could inspire mine.  After I got off the TM yesterday he did ask if we could start going to the little gym at my office after work.  It has a couple TMs and an eliptical.  So, we may start doing that.  We have tried before, but who knows, it may stick this time.

Everyone Else - I hope things are going well.  Keep moving and keep checking in.  You guys keep me inspired and keep me working. 

As for me - I got home in a rotton mood last night, but got on the TM and felt so much better after.  I am getting to the place where I need the exercise to help me burn off some of the stress of the day.  It is great that 45 minutes on the treadmill can make me feel better than eating a brownie.  And let me tell you, eating a brownie makes me pretty darn happy. 

Mandi

- “Don’t let what you can’t do interfere with what you can do.” Anonymous -

• Neal E Pro 100 posts since
    Jul 18, 2008
    Frist, I want to be "friends" with all of you, but for some reason when I go to accept, it shows error. Sorry, I'm not sure on how to do it. Anyhow, Susan 10K this weekend, you are ready,we'll wait for the report. So no hands treadmill. Set the speed at 3.0, push one arm,back, then the other, in cadence. After 3 minutes raise speed .1. Try up to 3.5, and see how that feels. Your arms should provide balance. Mandy, we all have rotten days, so what. Just try and stay out of others way. Sounds like your DH, (this new speak is so funny), wants to go to the little Gym w/you. Encourage him. Now how does this sound? Bryers Snickers ice cream with a warm double chocolate brownie on top. OK, here's the deal. Can have, but must wait till Saturday. You have to work a little harder this week, but the reward will be totally awesome, and taste soooo delicious. Shelby, I want you to say this over and over. 5K<than an hour. 5K less than an hour. You can do this!

- I keep company with fast women-Neal

• ShelbyDellaRosa Amateur 33 posts since
    Aug 31, 2009

Okay, guys, doing a lot of combo replies all in one here since I haven't seen the reply button in a couple of days.  Sorry 'bout that!

Susan -- I have the same thing as you with hanging on to both the treadmill when I'm using it for pacing work and the elliptical.  I have to hang on for dear life!  It's really weird... I don't fall off my feet normally so I don't know what that deal is!  And thanks for the encouragement on the half marathon.  It kinda hurt my feelings that my sister laughed at me but then it just strengthened my resolve to prove her wrong.  The little brat.  Haha, well, sort of haha.  And chocolate IV fluid?  Woman, you are so completely my soul sister!   You're gonna do so great in your event.  I can't wait to get the post-event report.  And that your husband is excited to work out with you?  That just rocks.  And the elliptical?  I hate that thing but I'm gonna do it because even after one session on it, I could feel it in my butt muscles and let's just say that that area could definitely use some firming up!

Neal, thanks for the tips you gave to Susan about letting go of the treadmill.  I'm going to put them to use too.  Thanks, Neal, for the encouragement.  5k in less than an hour... 5K in less than an hour.. am I hypnotized yet?  

For pacing, I think I'm gonna start using the C25K interval philosophy but instead of the run phases I'm just gonna walk as fast as I possibly can.  I can do this on the treadmill at the Y easily simply by increasing the speed of the belt for the faster intervals.  My son tells me that interval work like that gets you a better cardio workout anyway.

Mandi, sorry to hear that you had a rotten day yesterday; hope today was better.  I definitely had a Monday yesterday myself and I did the same thing but instead of the TM I took an impromptu 3-mile walk outside.  The weather was absolutely perfect here and it was just the best remedy for what ailed me.  Not that I didn't use to enjoy diving into a bag of Oreos but at least yesterday I didn't feel guilty and sick after the walk like I used to do with the Oreos.  Small steps...

I know I've missed some replies to stuff, it's hard to play catch-up on the replies like this.  Just know that I adore you all and I'm so grateful for our mutual support group we have going here!   You all rock!

Walking toward fitness in 2010

• mrsphong Amateur 14 posts since
    Sep 16, 2009
  • babs66 Amateur 37 posts since
    Jul 16, 2009

Hey group,

You all are awesome.  Here is an update since I have been away for a little bit.

Had my six week follow-up x-ray and doctors appointment on 10/14/09 from the neck surgery I had on 09/01/09.  Everything is healing well and the doctor released me to resume my normal activities.

Brian my DH and I went to Gatlinburg, TN for a much needed long weekend and had a wonderful time.  Got back in town late Monday and returned to work on Tuesday.

I am walking in the Gumbo Flats 10k  this Saturday and I am walking with another one of the Personal Trainers taht i work with at Golds Gym so it should be a blast.

I will report my time Saturday evening.  My goal is to finish in 1:40:00.

Babs66

Babs66

Daytime- AT&T Billing Analyst(Business)

Evenings & Weekend - Golds Gym - Personal Trainer

• Carollynn Amateur 19 posts since
    Jan 1, 2008

Hi everyone,

Boy this web site must not like me, it is getting harder & harder to sign in.

Sounds like you all are doing pretty good. Mendy & Taylor, Shelby,...I hope you all are doing better.

Neal, Great job. I don't even dream of going that fast.  Good for you!!!      congratulations !!!!

Well, I did it again I signed up for the Mission Inn Half.  This will be the first half that they are having. They have 1k, 5K, 10k, 15K and now a half.  So now I have to go out and hit the streets.  lol.

Hey, Suan got my hubby the new socks, Men just don't excited about socks like women.  Go figure.

I am trying to put a few miles in tonight.

Good luck everyone.

Wishing you Happy Feet.

Carol

Jul 18, 2008
    369. Oct 21, 2009 5:19 PM (in response to Carollynn)
    Carol, Carol, Carol, new socks? Want to make a hit? Try 49er's TIckets. Bonnie good luck on your 10K. Where is Gumbo Flats? Welcome back, glad everything's OK. Susan has her 10K this wekend also. You guys will blow the socks off these races(pun intended). Phong Mac wassup wit u?

• babs66 Amateur 37 posts since
    Jul 16, 2009
    370. Oct 22, 2009 6:31 AM (in response to Neal E)

Neal,

Gumbo Flats is a local area here in St. Louis, MO.  It used to be where one of the local prisons was but it is now closed down.  This area flooded back in 1993 adn when it was re-built they renamed it Chesterfield Valley. It is now a large shopping area.

I walked 2 miles last night and I am working out with my trainer tonight.  Tomorrow night will be a rest night to get ready for Saturday.  It is supposed to be in the low 50's with chance of rain on Saturday.  I am hoping that the rain holds off until after the race.

Babs66

Babs66

Daytime- AT&T Billing Analyst(Business)

Evenings & Weekend - Golds Gym - Personal Trainer

• ShelbyDellaRosa Amateur 33 posts since
    Aug 31, 2009

Heading out for my first appointment with the personal trainer... I hope he/she is good and tough.  I'll let you guys know how it went later on!

Have a beautiful Thursday everybody!

Shelby

Walking toward fitness in 2010

Jul 18, 2008
    Shelby, how it go w/the PT? Susan and Bonnie have outstanding 10K's , we're waiting to hear the results. I'm going on my first walk since the Marathon, a short 3 miler. Everyone have a great weekend, and GO BUCKS!

• Carollynn Amateur 19 posts since
    Jan 1, 2008

Hi everyone,

Well here it is Saturday. Susan & Bonnie have a great 10k.  Good for you.  Go-ooo Girls.  I will be cheering you on. Have fun and be safe.

Neal glad you are back on the streets. The hardest thing after finishing a marthon is getting those shoes back on. You did it!.

Shelby hope your PT is treating you kind.  Enjoy those work outs.

Hope the rest of you all had a good week. ready for the week-end.  Have fun.

I got out twice and did 4 miles each time. I was ready for bed early. No TV for me just night -night.  I went out 6 am pretty easy (comfortable) walk.  hen a friend who I can not keep up with wanted to go up this Mountain (Mt. Rubidoux) we have here in town.  And needless to say it and she kicked my butt.   But not to worry I am planing on doing a 10 mile Sunday.  Have a half  November 8th.  this is the first time our city is having a half.

Wishing you all  Happy Feet.

Carol

1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 40 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points