Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

8758 Views 50 Replies Latest reply: Nov 30, 2009 11:19 AM by NewRunnerMary RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • tatcat99 Amateur 15 posts since
    Oct 3, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Oct 23, 2009 4:12 AM (in response to emilysparkle)
    Re: Anybody planning on doing a Thanksgiving 5k?

Definitely!  Our town sponsors a 5-mile run and a 2-mile "fun walk" every year and you even get a cool long-sleeved T-shirt!  What a GREAT fun way to start the holiday

• Love2Run4Me Legend 273 posts since
    Oct 9, 2009
    16. Oct 23, 2009 7:12 AM (in response to emilysparkle)
    I am definitely doing a Turkey Trot 5K!  I am trying to get my husband and brothers to run it, too.  Trying to decide between the Dallas Turkey Trot and the Fort Worth Turkey Trot.  Anybody run them in past?

10/10/09  Lake Joe Pool Pumpkin Run 5K - 33:15

11/26/09  Dallas Turkey Trot 5K - 30:35

02/14/10 Austin Half Marathon - 2:12:25

03/13/10 Dash Down Greenville 5K - 29:27

• paperdoll08 Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 23, 2009
    17. Oct 23, 2009 8:04 AM (in response to emilysparkle)
    I am! It's a Turkey Trot in Southport CT. Sad to say I've been away from running for a long time (almost a year), but running in a Turkey Trot is tradition for me, so I figured this was as good as an excuse as any for me to start training and running races again. Even if I walk a good portion of it, I'm glad its lit a fire for me to get back out there!
  • KellyinNJ Amateur 19 posts since
    Jul 31, 2009
    18. Oct 23, 2009 8:25 AM (in response to emilysparkle)
    I'm planning on running in the A8K Classic in Glen Ridge, NJ.  I have never ran it before but heard its a great race.  I have only ran 2 5Ks in the last few months and have my 3rd 5K in 2weeks.  I think I should be good with 4.97 miles... At least I will not feel guilty when I go for the 2nd helping of mashed pototoes!!!!!!

7/18/09 - Packanack Lake 5K - 37:53

9/26/09 - Kinnelon Cares 5K - 32:58

11/7/09 - Beaverbrook 5K - 30:00

11/26/09 - Ashenfelter 8K Classic - 50:35

• NewRunnerMary Pro 69 posts since
    Aug 1, 2009
    19. Oct 23, 2009 1:16 PM (in response to emilysparkle)

Well, I guess we revived this thread!   Must be because we are closer to Thanksgiving.

Cat, I trained with the C25K and my first race was last Saturday.  It was GREAT!  I really enjoyed the race and it was inspiring.  As I mentioned, I run slow and found myself being passed by walkers!  However, I ran the whole thing and finished.  Woo-hoo!!  I did not run AT ALL on August 5th.   Today on my run, I went back to week 2 of C25K and ran hard for the run section and ran regular for the walking section.  Hope to build up a little time doing it this way.  Keep up your good work.

Red, sign up for the Turkey Trot.  A goal is a great motivator!

Keep up the good running and training everyone!

Mary

• joystruck Rookie 4 posts since
    Jun 3, 2009
    20. Oct 23, 2009 2:32 PM (in response to emilysparkle)

I'm doing a local Turkety Trot 5k...my first one! I live in the Chicago area though & it's already getting cold. I don't have any winter running gear! Any suggestions on where I can get good, but not too expensive, gear?

Thanks!

p.s. I also have my 2nd 5k race tomorrow & unfortunately the weather is supposed to be rainy & around 40 degrees....

• Solsenz Amateur 14 posts since
    Apr 1, 2009
    21. Oct 23, 2009 3:49 PM (in response to emilysparkle)
    Yep! This year did  my first 5k (about 4 of them-pretty addicting). So, I just signed up for my first Turkey Trot and am glad to see others proving I'm not completely insane for running a race T-Day morning! Actually, it's 4 miles, so hopefully it won't put me over the edge, as I can do the miles when training, but in a race, the pace is a bit faster and harder to regulate. Anyway, hopefully it will be fun, and am looking forward to making some calorie space for all that yummy food! Enjoy!
  • Teresa K "wally" Amateur 15 posts since
    Aug 19, 2009
    22. Oct 24, 2009 6:28 AM (in response to emilysparkle)

i've only just finished w1, so i'm a bit tenative about signing up for a 5k event just yet, especially since some deadlines for online registration is next week.

I may do the one locally as i hear there's a lot of walking, so it wouldn't be too much pressure

• marlast Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 24, 2009
    23. Oct 24, 2009 8:42 AM (in response to Love2Run4Me)

I just ran my first 5K today!  I finished 7th in my age group (46 - 49) with a time of 33:08.  I have only been running since June.  I am so addicted now!  I am definately going to run the Turkey Trot in Dallas.  Haven't done it before, but know friends that have and they love it.

• Eric20967 Rookie 4 posts since
    Sep 29, 2009
    24. Oct 24, 2009 6:57 PM (in response to marlast)

I will be running in our local HCC Turkey Trot.  My oldest and youngest daughters will both be running in the kids version of the race.  It will be great to have them out there to show support, but they are mostly going to watch the girls race.  I am kind of the "side show".  Anyway, I am looking forward to the race!

As for cold weather gear - try your local Walmart.  They have Rebok versions of the compression shirts and bottoms.  $10 each - just make sure that you get the thicker version.  The lighter version seems a little cheaper in nature.

Have fun and enjoy yourself.  I know I will - I love the running, the fun and commradarie (spelling?) of the fellow runners and just enjoying the (usually) great weather.

• abfritz Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    25. Oct 24, 2009 8:56 PM (in response to emilysparkle)
    I'll be finishing the C25k this week! I'm planning on doing a 5x 2 weeks later. Eeek! I'm getting nervous.
  • tinari Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 24, 2009
    26. Oct 24, 2009 9:28 PM (in response to emilysparkle)
    I am.  I will only be on week 4, but there will be a lot of walkers and families, so if I have to walk part of it, I won't be too disappointed.
  • MsCoyote Pro 59 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    27. Oct 24, 2009 9:42 PM (in response to emilysparkle)
    Just convinced Hubby to do one with me either Thanksgiving Day or the day after, there are a few in our area.  Can't wait to do one with him!

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming,"WOO HOO!!! What a Ride!"

• disneygal2 Legend 455 posts since
    Sep 30, 2009
    28. Nov 11, 2009 4:38 PM (in response to MsCoyote)

Thanksgiving Day turkey trot.. 2 weeks from tomorrow.   I am getting excited and a little bit nervous.  I want to do well.   I did the Couch to 5 K program and can now run 3 miles..so I'm just working to maintain 3 mile runs 3 days a week till Turkey trot day.    If you want to see the 5k I'm doing go to   www.turkeytrot.com  and scroll down to the you tube commercial.  It should help motivate you to do your turkey day 5k.   It is getting close!!!                 Jess

PRAISE GOD!!!

Couch to 5 K Graduation Day November 26, 2009

Dana Hills Turkey Trot  Thanksgiving Day 2009 5 K....  Time 32:22  MY FIRST 5k

Jan 9 Irvine 5k Time 32:52

Feb 7 Super Bowl 10k  1:08:31  MY FIRST 10K

September 5 2010  DISNEYLAND HALF MARATHON:  2:41:00

• Swaph Amateur 22 posts since
    Nov 11, 2009
    29. Nov 11, 2009 5:51 PM (in response to disneygal2)

My husband's company is a sponsor of The Race to Feed the Hungry this Thanksgiving and he signed us up to participate.  This has motivated me to start running- ok it's more like wogging- so this will be my second ever 5K.  I'm so excited about it! 

Pain is temporary, PRIDE is forever.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...