Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

18627 Views 157 Replies Latest reply: Mar 3, 2010 8:04 AM by Wideguy RSS 1 2 3 ... 11 Previous Next
ovenfried Pro 149 posts since
Sep 8, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 26, 2009 4:34 AM

200lb+  C25K  Oct 26-Nov1

Hello folks....here is a new week of exciting discussions, questions, inspiration and fun.  Again, AFatManRunning's original intro says it all.....

***************************************************************************************************

Hello one and all--those currently and formerly 200lbs+.  Most in this thread are following (or at least started with) the Couch to 5k Running Program from Coolrunning.com.  There's a set of podcasts that was recorded to let you listed to audible cues to guide you through the program.  If you have an mp3 player, it is easier than carrying a watch or watching a clock.  A lot of people download them to their iPods.  If you need them in actual mp3 format, you'll find a link at the top of the page.

We use these weekly threads to keep up with each other, and to encourage each other.  If you've been following these threads for a while, please chime in.

Amy

Started C25K:  September 10, 2009
Finished C25K:  November 22, 2009

Dec. 5, 2009:  Jingle Bell Run, Cincinnati, OH  35:43
April 10, 2010:  Aruna 5k, Cincinnati, OH 39.06  (after not running for several months)
May 22, 2010:  GO/OTR 5K,  Cincinnati, OH  approx 34:30.  (route was changed at last minute, and about .2 mile was shaved off.  boo!)

• Donna914 Legend 357 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009
    1. Oct 26, 2009 5:29 AM (in response to ovenfried)
    Re: 200lb+ C25K Oct 26-Nov1

Good Monday Morning!

Well I did it - I ran my first 5K Sunday and it was fantastic! I ran it in Chicago on the lake shore. WOW!! I had two friends and my husband run with me; my husband walked it alongside of me. LOL.  Then another one of our friends ran the 10K. It was sooo good. My pace was faster here and I met my goals; running the entire way and coming in less than 53 minutes (which had been my best time).  I came in 50 min 37 seconds (according to my garmin - haven't seen official time but my friend's garmin said the same).  I can't wait until the next one now.

I was surprised that yesterday I was sore - I have ran/walk 50 min quite a few times but we did have to ride in a minivan with 7 people after the race for about 30 minutes to get back to their house and then in the afternoon, my husband and I had to make the 5 hour trip back home. I was pretty sore last night; just sitting and getting up mainly; but I feel great this morning!

• AFatManRunning Legend 326 posts since
    Sep 14, 2009
    2. Oct 26, 2009 5:32 AM (in response to ovenfried)

Mrs. F and I are in Week 9!!! W9D1 done!

It's still hard to believe that we're here! I ran just over 31 minutes today (due to changes in my playlist), and Mrs. F did at least 32.  Unbelievable!!! For any of you who are just starting and scared to death of W5D3, or past that point and still doubting you'll be able to run 30 minute straight, just stop it now--YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Absolutely unbelievable!!!

I have yet to post this morning, but I had to write something here first! You guys have been great!

A funny note - our eldes son was getting in his weekend run yesterday.  He saw one of our friends, who happens to be the one who introduced Mrs. F to the C25K program, unloading some groceries, so he stopped to help. [What a good boy!].  While there, He mentioned that he head us talking about her participation in the local Turkey Trot.  The chatted a bit, and he told her that he was glad we were exercising, but he really wished we would try running.  We have him completely fooled!  Do you know how much I want to bet him $100 that I can run in and finish a 5k race? LOL

Have a good day and a good week, everyone! Thanks, ovenfried, for starting the thread this week.

It was my wife's idea--really! Okay, it helps that I need to lose the weight, too.

http://oursecretplan.blogspot.com (FatManRunning - Couch to 5k)

Completed Couch-to-5k - 10/30/09

Chaska Turkey Trot 5k - 11/14/09 (42:13)

Howard Lake Turkey Tagalong 5k - 11/26/09 (42:23)

Sat around like a bum while I finished grad school - 11/27/09 to 6/25/10

Restarted running 6/26/10

City of Festivals 5k - 08/07/10 (40:45) - ran with Mrs. F and four of the kids!

• redhoney Amateur 22 posts since
    Oct 22, 2009
    3. Oct 26, 2009 5:46 AM (in response to ovenfried)

Lenabelle, Donna, and Fluffy - Congratulations on your runs!! That is so inspiring! Keep up the good work. Even though I am only going to be starting Week 3 tomorrow, I am signing up for a Turkey Trot next month. I think, by then, I will only be done )or in the process of completing) Week 7, but from what I understand, Turkey Trots are more fun than competition, so I'm gonna go for it.

Ovenfried - Thanks for the inspirational message. Sometimes we all need to hear that to give us a nice kick in the hind parts. Also, thanks for the info on the socks. I have always worn cotton socks with no issues and I even have a pair of stabilizer cotton socks that are made for running, but I may have to look more into the socks that you mentioned.

AFMR - Congrats to you and Mrs. F for starting week 9!! That is amazing!! I still have trouble believing that I will be able to run 25 - 30+ minutes straight. I just completed Week 2 and at the end of each 90 seconds, I am like "WHEW!!". I will get there though!!

Well, as I mentioned, I finished Week 2 yesterday!! Yay me!! My workout was a little different than usual. I normally do my training at the Y on the treadmill. My brisk walks are at a 3.5 speed (I think that is a 17.5mm) and then I do my run at a 5 speed (which is a 12mm, I think). In the end, I typically finish my 30 or so minute workout at 2 miles...sometimes a little more or less, depending.

Well, yesterday, I had a lot of errands to run and since the Y closes at 6pm, I wasn't able to get there to do my normal workout. Since it was so nice out (about 68 degrees), I decided to jump on the Upper Tampa Bay Trail and do my last day of Week 2. Now, I have never really run outside and was not sure what to expect and I must say that it was truly different. It is harder to pace yourself. I am so used to relying on the treadmill to tell me how fast or slow I am going that I find it difficult to determine how fast or slow I should be going outside. I also had to fight the slight wind, moderate inclines and declines, and the constant inhalation of knats (ewww!!). I also did not have my trusty water bottle that stays on the treadmill with me. Since I didn't want to run with a 32 oz. bottle, I decided to leave it in the car. I didn't know if I was going to be able to make it without ANY water, but I must say that I did. I had to take the advice of one of the posters here (I am so sorry that I can't remember who posted this) and give myself pep talks. I kept telling myself that "You can do this", "Just make it to the light", or "There's your finish line up ahead...just cross it" and I must say that it worked!

All in all, yesterday was a good day. I really did enjoy running outside and since the 5k will not be on a treadmill and I have to get used to running on asphalt anyway, I think I will take my run outside for the last run of each week.

I am so proud of all of us. Just think how far we've come. Even though I am only going to be starting Week 3 on Tuesday, I am still so much further than I was before I started and even before last week. Let's all keep up the good work!! Go us!!

• becsh Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 26, 2009
    4. Oct 26, 2009 5:57 AM (in response to ovenfried)

I'm completely new to this forum and to the c25k so please excuse me for any breaches of netiquete.  I just started the program today.  I don't weigh myself but I'd say I'm well over 200lbs (I'm Australian, so that's 100kgs for me ), the weight doesn't bother me, I follow Health at Every Size.  It does worry me that I've been working to hard, getting sick, tired, and grumpy, and stressed... well you get the idea. Sitting at home was making me miserable, so I started going to gym about 3 months ago.

I've never been a runner.   Not even when I was a kid.  I had asthma before people really knew what it was, and I still have memories of being forced to run laps around the oval during PE class and always coming in last, wheezing, while the other kids laughed.  Didn't take long to figure out this running thing wasn't for me.  I guess I just put it away from me, something I never thought I'd be able to do.

But, you know, forget that!  The last couple of months I've been jogging a bit on the treadmill... not long, just 200m intervals... but the point is, I haven't died!  I might just be able to do this.

So that's why I'm here.  I've read a bit of your earlier posts and I reckon you're all inspirational.  Thank you for sharing your journeys.

----------------------

Week 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9

• CenTexWannaRun Amateur 11 posts since
    Oct 23, 2009
    5. Oct 26, 2009 6:39 AM (in response to ovenfried)

well - i got up to do W1D2 this morning and opened the front door to see lightning, 50MPH wind gusts and rain that the news described as "4 inches an hour" -- needless to say, i thought it best not to venture out in the darkness and crappy, dangerous weather.  i'm hopeful that late this afternoon or evening that things will be cleared up a bit.  i really don't mind running in light rain, but i can do without the lightning, wind and monsoon-like rain that we are having now.

wish me luck this afternoon - i REALLY want to get this run in so i can start concentrating on the next one

congrats to everyone that have moved to the next week in their C25k programs -- what great accomplishments and great motivation for the rest of us

-George-

C25k Progress:

Week: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  Day: 1 2 3

• run4it! Rookie 4 posts since
    Feb 23, 2008
    6. Oct 26, 2009 7:30 AM (in response to ovenfried)

Hello everyone. I am new and started the C25K program this morning. I was so excited to get started up until this morning. I came up with tons of excuses of why I couldn't do it. BUT, I pushed myself and got it done, and I actually feel pretty good. I have been a walker for a while and have done 5ks and 10ks, but want to start running. I liked this program, because it starts you out slow and gradually progresses. I think I sweat more today in that short time than I do walking for 4 miles. The last 2 intervals were the hardest, but when it was over, I felt really good and confident that I can keep going.

I've been reading some of your posts and the inspiration is awesome. It encourages me to keep going. I have to find a 5k around the end of December as my first goal. My boyfriend is an elite athlete (5ks - marathons) and gets invited to a lot of races. Lots of times the races have multiple distance races so that shouldn't be too hard to find. There's always a race somewhere, and I'm lucky to get to tag along with him. I've met so many great people around the country who really enjoy running. So now I'm ready to get off of the sidelines cheering for him, and get out there for myself too.

I did have a few questions. I noticed that some of you stretch after your 5 min. warm up. What types of stretches do you do? I felt it the most in my calves and shins. Also, should I continue to just walk on my off days? I am at 253 and still do want to decrease my weight. And one last, how do you list at the bottom of your post the C25K progress.... Like Wk1 Day 1.  Thanks so much.

C25K:  Week 1 2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9

Day     1  2 3

Started: December 27,2010

• Turtle Who Runs Pro 110 posts since
    Sep 29, 2009
    8. Oct 26, 2009 8:39 AM (in response to ovenfried)

Good morning everyone!

Well, I DID IT!!  I finished W5D3 this morning and ran for 20 minutes straight!  I'm so happy, I don't know what to think.  My hip and lower back are a little sore, but other than that, I feel a lot better than I thought I would.  I made a deal with myself that I would stick to it as best I could for the 20 min., and if I have to, I would take a quick walk break at 10 min., but I didn't even need it.  I just put my head down (except for the occasional look for traffic of course) and pushed through.  My pace a slow 14.7 min mile based on my course on map my run, but the important thing was that I did it.  Yay!!

Ovenfried-I think you're right.  They probably set the program up to have you realize that you can do it.  Now when I start W6, I'm gonna think that this was easy compared to today.  Of course there is always W6D3 for 25 minutes straight.  Right now I feel that I can do that, but we'll see how I feel after working all week and then having to run.

Fluffy, Lenabelle, Donna-Contrats on your races last week!!  That's so great.  I bet you can't wait to do your next ones now.  It's such a great feeling.  YOU DID IT!!

AMFR-On your last run in the program, will you be wearing your graduation robe and cap?  Wouldn't that be a sight!  Congrats on completing W9D1!  You are so inspiring everyday.  Your son is going to go crazy when he sees you and your wife in the Turkey Trot.  It would be funny to bet him $100, but then you could donate it to your favority charity or even the charity that the Turkey Trot is for (if there is one).

Redhoney, Becsh-Welcome to the group.  As noted above I just finished Week 5, but I have to say that the first couple of weeks are actually the hardest, so just keep going and I'm sure you will start feeling better.  I even re-ran some weeks because I didn't feel confident that I could move forward, but it's important to go at your own pace so you won't feel discouraged and quit.  I'm always bummed about my time (hence the Turtle), but everyone here and people I know keep telling me that at least you're doing it, so be proud of yourself, and feel strong.  I'm finally starting to believe them, and you will get stronger every day and everytime you run a couple of seconds longer than the last time.  You will find that everyone on this board cannot be any more supportive and motivational.

I'm working from home today (can't you tell?), so I'd better get back to work.  Have a good day everyone!

-I may be slow, but at least I'm moving forward. 
  • SeeFluffyRun Legend 251 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    10. Oct 26, 2009 9:02 AM (in response to ovenfried)

MOrning Glories!!  I hope everyone has a fabulous weekend of running!

Donna--congratulations on your first 5K!  I am so proud of you!  So when is the next one?

AMFR-- You guys are doing great!  You are almost ready for graduation...heck you are ready for graduation!  (mental note:  need to create an image for you guys of a cap with C25K graduate on it) oh and you have a great son...more people should bring up their children like you have.

Redhoney and Besch and run4it   Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.....we love new runners!  We are a great group.  If you have any questions let us know.  Remember to get fitted for proper running shoes.  I recommend going to a running store and not a box store.  If you are female, you need a good bra Moving Comfort makes a good one..the Maia and the Fiona...really helps the bouncing and keeps from sagging.  The podcasts are good also.  I am so excited for you guys. Running changed my life.  run4it  my bestfriend started running when I did . Her BF also is an elite runner.  Now they take vacations based on marathons, she usually runs the 5K and he does the mary or 1/2 mary.  Another couple that are my friends are Ultra runners and do the same. They traveled to Australia, Budapest..all these fab places...that is what I want to do.

Centex...Sending good vibes for good weather.

Turtle  CONGRATES ON w5d3...THAT IS A HUGE MILESTONE!! BE PROUD...TELL EVERYONE YOU KNOW AND EVERYONE YOU DONT KNOW.  NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE.  ENDURANCE BABY ENDURANCE..THAT IS WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT!!!

ok i AM CALLING ON THE POWER OF ACTIVE PEOPLE.  i BUMMED OUT MY ANKLE IN MY 10k BUT DIDN'T REALIZE IT UNTIL THE NEXT DAY. BUT i SPENT THE DAY DOING A CONTEST.  i NEED EVERYONE THAT I KNOW TO VOTE FOR ME. iT IS MY CHANCE TO WIN 2 TICKETS TO NEW YORK, BROADWAY AND 2k.  I WOULD LOVE TO RUN IN NEW YORK (NO IPOD OF COURSE)  PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO FOLLOW THE LINK AND VOTE FOR MY PROJECT:

http://www.cricut.com/gypsy/designchallenge/entries.aspx?did=216

Graduated C25K 08/09/2009

Restarted 04/01/2013

Follow me on my journey: SEEFLUFFYRUN

Twitter: @SeeFluffyRun

Facebook: SeeFluffyRun

Blog: seefluffyrun.blogspot.com

• LibbyColorado Expert 53 posts since
    Oct 1, 2009
    11. Oct 26, 2009 9:28 AM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)

It's so encouraging to see all of your success stories. It keeps me plugging along!

Tonight we run Week5 D1, which I'm very nervous about. I'm sure it will be fine; we can do five minutes. I can't believe we have to run 20 minutes on Friday! Ah!

http://pinkandimperfect.blogspot.com

We're crazy and in love. Can we do these 101 things?

• Rosylinn Rookie 6 posts since
    Oct 19, 2009
    12. Oct 26, 2009 11:08 AM (in response to ovenfried)
    Today I did W3D1!  My shins burned big time during the last 3 minute run!  I felt fantastic afterwards though!  I've been doing a lot of stretching after my run today.  I think this is going to cause me to be sorer then my previous runs. I read through the weekend posts.  Thank you all for posting comments about weight.  I was also starting to feel frustrated that I have not lost any weight since starting this program (I've actually gained).  Everyone's comments put that back into perspective.  I feel great right now, and I am focusing on my stamina and cardio systems, not weight.  I have started making small changes to how I eat.  I added protein to breakfast after my run and I've switched to water.  That's all I have planned on changing for at least another week.  Small steps!  Once again, I've loved reading the posts.  Very encouraging!  And I'm running!!  Who would of thought that at nearly 250 lbs, I'd be able to say that and mean it!
  • MrsFatmanrunning Expert 42 posts since
    Sep 16, 2009
    13. Oct 26, 2009 11:20 AM (in response to Turtle Who Runs)

Turtle who runs --  Congratulations on the 20 minute run! Im so happy you were able to complete it. Its such an empowering week!!!!

Donna -- Congrats on your race!!!

To all of the rest of you -- I so appreciate all the encouragment and cheering on you have done for the both of us. It really has made a difference and seriously helped us get to graduation week. Without the online support, it would have been a lot harder. Thank you doesnt seem to be enough, i really really appreciate it!!!

Mrs. F

• Smashville Pro 93 posts since
    Oct 20, 2009
    14. Oct 26, 2009 11:39 AM (in response to ovenfried)

Finished W1D3 on Saturday...and dressed way too light. It was chilly (like 42 with a breeze) and I was wearing shorts, a t-shirt and five fingers...

And...I ran through a lovely row of sprinklers that I didn't see...

As for the run, it was nice and easy...and clear to me that it was time to move on to Week 2.

Also...lost 5.4 pounds last week. Now at 306.8. Hopefully only a couple of weeks away from being in the 200s.

Run, Noob! Run! - My Blog.

Follow me on Twitter: @RunNoobRun

C25K Week: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

1 2 3 ... 11 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...