Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

14092 Views 117 Replies Latest reply: Oct 26, 2009 4:35 AM by ovenfried RSS Go to original post 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 Previous Next
  • SeeFluffyRun Legend 251 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    105. Oct 24, 2009 2:24 PM (in response to TransplantedPotato)
    Re: 200lbs+ C25k Oct. 19-25

HI everyone.

Congrates Lenaon your first 5K.  We are all so proud of you!  everyone, if you haven't signed up for one, can I encourage you to do so?

I did the Nike Human RAce 10K today.  I didn't think I would be able to do it.  The most I had ever run before this was 5K...but I did it!!!  I did facebook while I was running so if you are a freiend of mine on FB you can see the pics.  I wll blog details about it later. need to shower and celebrate!!

Graduated C25K 08/09/2009

Restarted 04/01/2013

Follow me on my journey: SEEFLUFFYRUN

Twitter: @SeeFluffyRun

Facebook: SeeFluffyRun

Blog: seefluffyrun.blogspot.com

• CenTexWannaRun Amateur 11 posts since
    Oct 23, 2009
    106. Oct 24, 2009 2:47 PM (in response to TransplantedPotato)

AFMR - i actually have two good pair of running shoes that i switch between - NB and ASICS.  the NB are getting close to replacement time, but the ASICS have a lot of miles left in them.

i am really happy with how much W1D1 pushed me -- not just my 'wind', but my legs as well.  i had pain in the areas where i've ALWAYS had pain - but nothing out of the ordinary or unexpected.  i know that it'll get better and better as my tendons and muscles get more and more comfortable with the running motions again.  i've always enjoyed running when my body was in 'running shape', and can't wait to get back there so i really enjoy going out and running again.

thanks for the support folks!!

-George-

C25k Progress:

Week: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  Day: 1 2 3

• ovenfried Pro 149 posts since
    Sep 8, 2009
    107. Oct 24, 2009 4:55 PM (in response to TransplantedPotato)

Hey all....taking a break from fun old housework!

I love hearing about everyone's stories.  Wouldn't it be terrific if just for a day we could get together and run together and celebrate our new lifestyle??  Even though there is some acceptance for heavy people easing into our culture, I think the idea of becoming physically healthy is still new to a lot of heavies, and it saddens me to see people who are proud of being large.  I was 220-230 lbs for most of my adult life, and though I seemed "happy" by default (I have been called "excessively optimistic"), I was ashamed of my body and always wanted it to match my "inside".   With extreme weight loss being the "norm" for some, knowing that most of us are doing it the hard way....good old-fashioned exercise and healthy diet....well that makes me feel less crazy.  I may be losing a pound a week, but I know that for every pound I lose, I gain in patience, character and life experience.  For so long I woke up in the morning with pain due to inactivity.  Now I can move just about any way I want with ease.  Walking up 2 flights of steep stairs to my apt is a breeze now.  Having to wear a belt with every pair of jeans is terrific.  Just seeing that my arms are smaller is a HUGE thing to me....my bicep area has always been way too big, and now it's becoming more normal.  And reading about everyone...from W1/D1 to W9/D3....it just shows that I am in a very exclusive club of people who are sick and tired of being sick and tired, and that's really special to me.  Most of this I owe to two folks...a close friend and my butcher...who started a new lifestyle of healthy eating (South Beach 'Diet') and regular exercise...who showed me that it can be done.  I feel proud when I run.  I feel sexy and fit and fast and strong and for once in my life, I'm not the biggest person in the room anymore.

Anyway, that's about it.  Now back to housework!

Amy

Started C25K:  September 10, 2009
    Finished C25K:  November 22, 2009

Dec. 5, 2009:  Jingle Bell Run, Cincinnati, OH  35:43
    April 10, 2010:  Aruna 5k, Cincinnati, OH 39.06  (after not running for several months)
    May 22, 2010:  GO/OTR 5K,  Cincinnati, OH  approx 34:30.  (route was changed at last minute, and about .2 mile was shaved off.  boo!)

• AFatManRunning Legend 326 posts since
    Sep 14, 2009
    108. Oct 24, 2009 6:26 PM (in response to RunLindaRunRunRun)
    #

It was my wife's idea--really! Okay, it helps that I need to lose the weight, too.

http://oursecretplan.blogspot.com (FatManRunning - Couch to 5k)

Completed Couch-to-5k - 10/30/09

Chaska Turkey Trot 5k - 11/14/09 (42:13)

Howard Lake Turkey Tagalong 5k - 11/26/09 (42:23)

Sat around like a bum while I finished grad school - 11/27/09 to 6/25/10

Restarted running 6/26/10

City of Festivals 5k - 08/07/10 (40:45) - ran with Mrs. F and four of the kids!

• Donna914 Legend 357 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009
    109. Oct 24, 2009 6:32 PM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)

Awesome Fluffy!!! That is great! 10K!!!  WOW!!  You are such an inspiration.

I am still nervous about my 5K tomorrow. I have had such a good time in Chicago with my friends last night and today I hope I am in shape to run a 5K tomorrow. Hopefully the adrenaline will kick in.

Sep 2, 2009
    111. Oct 24, 2009 8:15 PM (in response to Donna914)
    Donna   you are so ready for this 5K.  Give it all you have but most importantly enjoy it.  Heck I took pictures during my 10K. I wanted to remember this run. It was important to me.  don't forget your bib or your chip tomorrow. Better yet, have them at your front door ready to go or already on your running shoe and attached to your shirt.  The less you have to worry about tomorrow the better.

Restarted 04/01/2013

Sep 2, 2009
    112. Oct 24, 2009 8:23 PM (in response to fitnfab50s)

Welcome fitnfab  we are glad you could join us.  Take it easy when you start out.  On your off days, you may want to consider some strength training to strengthen your lower body and your core.  This will help relieve some of the pressure you will be putting on your knees.

If you haven't already, you may want to download Robert Ullrey's Podcasts or if you have an Iphone or Itouch, you can get the C25K application that plays in the background so you can play your own music and the application will prompt  you when to run and when to walk.

Restarted 04/01/2013

• lenabelle Amateur 14 posts since
    Oct 7, 2009
    113. Oct 24, 2009 8:29 PM (in response to TransplantedPotato)

AFMR - Nope, my hamstrings were left untouched! Whew! And I did have a different pair of socks on today. You can bet that I will be testing all of the things that you said to see if that will help.

Ovenfried - Interesting! I was definitely wearing cotton socks today. What kind of material are the running socks you have? I've never had too much of a blister issue with active shoes before, but then again, I also haven't ever been a runner before!

• DanceWalkRunPenguin Pro 84 posts since
    Oct 12, 2009
    114. Oct 25, 2009 12:48 PM (in response to TransplantedPotato)

Wow -- when I came by earlier there was no reply button. Thought I'd been shunned! Fortunately I realized how ridiculous that sounded.

Did W1D3 today. It wasn't easy, but I'm pleased enough that on Wednesday I will attempt to start Week 2. Going away for a couple of days in the meantime, so I'll walk at the hotel gym. One difference I can tell already is that my muscles have started to adapt and I'm not going to be as sore tomorrow!

Everyone keep up the good work!

~~~~~Newbie Jogger~~~~~~~

Regular Walker

Never-before Runner

On injured list. Switching to swimming until leg muscles are healed.

• Turtle Who Runs Pro 110 posts since
    Sep 29, 2009
    115. Oct 25, 2009 4:53 PM (in response to TransplantedPotato)

Hey all!

Hope everyone is doing well.  I ran W5D2 yesterday, and I was shocked that I could still stand after running both 8 min intervals.  I felt like my legs were going to fall off!  I love this board; there are so many great stories, and so much information that when I miss a couple of days, it's a lot of reading, but good reading.  I took today off, and tomorrow is the day I fear, W5D3, and running 20 minutes straight.  It seems like a big jump from two 8 minute runs with a 3 minute walk.  Yikes!  After Saturday, my left hip was screaming, which is typical, and my lower back actually hurt, which was unusual, so I have a feeling I'm gonna be a little sore tomorrow.  Wish me luck!

Talk to you soon!

-I may be slow, but at least I'm moving forward. 
    Sep 8, 2009
    116. Oct 25, 2009 5:12 PM (in response to TransplantedPotato)

Turtle .....  Yeah my jump from 5/2 to 5/3 was scary!  Luckily though I woke up that day feeling great, and the weather was wonderful, and my confidence was high.  When I was done with that 20 minutes I was so stoked....I was like "I did it! I did it!  I did it!!!!".  And I looked forward to 6/1 because it was a couple of 10 minute runs instead of another 20.  I think that 5/3 is there to show us just how good we really are.  My brother and I have friends who are all fit, regular runners, and all of them say that the first 8 to 10 minutes is the hardest.  I think the jump to 20 minutes proves that.

Lenabelle  .....   I don't know the exact composition of running socks, but it's the same wicking fabric that lots of other sports clothes are made of.  Rather than creating friction like cotton does, it just sort of nestles your feet and moves with them.  Like I mentioned, I've never had a blister from wearing them.  And since my Asics are meant also to vent sweat out, the socks and shoes work together to keep your feet dry.  I got some at TJMaxx for half the price of retail, which was around $7 (sale price) for two pair.  This may sound strange, but I actually wear my running socks twice before washing....since they come out of the shoe dry and clean (no floor dirt to mess 'em up), I say why fly though my collection of them so fast?  I also only wear my running shoes for running.  When I initially started to break them in, I did wear them to work or around the streets, but now it's for running only.  They'll stay new looking longer than any other shoes I have.

Tomorrow is 7/2 for me.  Looking forward to it...may hit a different park for variety.

Amy

April 10, 2010:  Aruna 5k, Cincinnati, OH 39.06  (after not running for several months)
    May 22, 2010:  GO/OTR 5K,  Cincinnati, OH  approx 34:30.  (route was changed at last minute, and about .2 mile was shaved off.  boo!)

Sep 8, 2009
    117. Oct 26, 2009 4:35 AM (in response to TransplantedPotato)
    New thread for Oct 26-Nov 1 is here:  http://community.active.com/thread/75503/

Amy

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...