Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

17559 Views 157 Replies Latest reply: Mar 3, 2010 8:04 AM by Wideguy RSS Go to original post 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 Previous Next
  • AFatManRunning Legend 326 posts since
    Sep 14, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    135. Oct 30, 2009 8:53 PM (in response to ovenfried)
    Re: 200lb+ C25K Oct 26-Nov1

Well, it's official.  Mrs. F and I finished W9D3 today.  Couch-to-5k is finished.  It was a hard run, but we got through it.  In fact, in the end, I kept running--all the way back to the car.  I ran seven minutes past the end of my 31 minute playlist.  Yes, that's right--I ran for 38 minutes!

Thanks so much for the support of everyone here.  There's no way we could have been able to do it without you all.

As to revealing our secret, we're going to do it on race day.

I'll still be reading and posting here, so keep it moving, everyone!

It was my wife's idea--really! Okay, it helps that I need to lose the weight, too.

http://oursecretplan.blogspot.com (FatManRunning - Couch to 5k)

Completed Couch-to-5k - 10/30/09

Chaska Turkey Trot 5k - 11/14/09 (42:13)

Howard Lake Turkey Tagalong 5k - 11/26/09 (42:23)

Sat around like a bum while I finished grad school - 11/27/09 to 6/25/10

Restarted running 6/26/10

City of Festivals 5k - 08/07/10 (40:45) - ran with Mrs. F and four of the kids!

• Donna914 Legend 357 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009
    136. Oct 31, 2009 12:13 PM (in response to AFatManRunning)

Congratulations Mr. and Mrs. F!!! That is fantastic!! 38 min straight! WOW!  I can't wait until race day and see what your sons say.

Aug 2, 2009
    137. Oct 31, 2009 12:16 PM (in response to susiecute)

Way to go Susie!! W5D3 is a big one!! 20 minutes straight!

Aug 2, 2009
    138. Oct 31, 2009 12:19 PM (in response to Jasmine1972)

It is hard to keep training while on vacation. You are doing great - have fun!

• DanceWalkRunPenguin Pro 84 posts since
    Oct 12, 2009
    139. Oct 31, 2009 1:49 PM (in response to AFatManRunning)

AFMR, super congratulations! What an accomplishment!

I did day 2 of week 2 today. My Ullrey podcast wasn't syncing properly, so I used the podrunner one. I liked it. I think I'd like to do at least the beginning of each week with Ullrey to get the encouraging voice, but the podrunner is good for a changeup.

The middle two intervals were both uphill -- hard! During the 4th one I had this argument with myself about wanting to quit. Fortunately it took so long to argue it out that the interval finished.

~~~~~Newbie Jogger~~~~~~~

Regular Walker

Never-before Runner

On injured list. Switching to swimming until leg muscles are healed.

• Turtle Who Runs Pro 110 posts since
    Sep 29, 2009
    140. Oct 31, 2009 2:15 PM (in response to DanceWalkRunPenguin)

Hi everyone-

It's been a tough week this week, but I finished W6D1&2 despite working 60 hours.  UGH!! I worked 10 hours on Thursday, came home and ran W6D1 immediately because it was already dark out and my couch was calling me to come over and sit "just for a minute" (that devil!).  Today was a rough one.  In NY it was 65 degrees with 85% humidity, and I was way overdressed.  I started overheating during the first 10 minute run, and was so slow-but I finished it, so that's something.  I think I'm going to wait until Tuesday morning to run W6D3-the 25 minute run.  I'm working from home that day, so I will have the time and light to do it.  I still haven't figured out if I'm a better morning runner or evening runner.  I feel like everyday is different for me.

AMFR-Is that pomp & circumstance I hear in the background??  Congrats on the completion of the program.  You are certaintly the valedictorian of the group!! You have to tell us what happens on the day of your race--I can't wait!

Fluffy-I voted for your project.  I hope you win-good luck!  And I hope your ankle is on the mend.

Susiecute-Congrats on the 20 minutes!! I did it last week and felt exactly the same way.  You totally deserve the props.  It's a great achievement.

Redhoney-I work out with a trainer once a week, and the legs and shoulder days are killer.  It seems that everything is either a squat or a lunge, and my legs are usually screaming for up to two days afterward.  Just think that once your body gets used to the work, it will improve your running, because it's making your body stronger and less prone to injury.

DWR Penguin-Who says arguing never solved anything?  Way to go!

Take care until next week runners!

-I may be slow, but at least I'm moving forward. 
    Aug 2, 2009
    141. Oct 31, 2009 5:28 PM (in response to Turtle Who Runs)

You are doing great turtlewhoruns!! working that many hours and running - I worked 60 hours in the summer when I was doing C25K and I did it in the morning before I ran. Running after a 10 hour day is impressive!!!  You are doing fantastic.

Aug 2, 2009
    142. Oct 31, 2009 5:35 PM (in response to ovenfried)

HI all,

Have to ask for some advice.

I have been running pretty regularly since I finished C25K and did my first 5K last week but I am not sure what to do next. I thought of OHR and other programs but just haven't committed. I also heard about an 8K training program too.  The OHR is running 30 minutes to 60 minutes. I run 50 minutes now to run 3.1 miles and I have been doing this a few times a week. So I don't want to back off to 30 min when I am doing 50 regularly. I guess sometimes I am tired and want to only do 30 minutes so maybe I should do the OHR. My other idea is to run 3 miles a few times a week and the other days run 1 mile and maybe one day try to push it past 3 miles. I would like to run more than 3 times a week but with the winter coming I am not sure if I can get it in.

• Jasmine1972 Legend 927 posts since
    Sep 24, 2009
    143. Oct 31, 2009 6:23 PM (in response to Donna914)

Donna- I've heard of training programs where you run 2-3 days for your "normal" distance, + 1 short day for speed/turnover work, and 1 day for your longer run. I think typically they recommend that you don't increase your weekly mileage more than 10% per week.

AFMR- Well it's amazing - but YOU DID IT! It's so great that you were able to run 38 mins for your finale. Mrs. F- your 3 mile time is fantastic! I want to thank you both for all of your inspirational messages, and play-by-play descriptions (here & on your blog) of what its been like for you (and us) to make it thru C25K. You really do seem to have the running spirit! Now for the race and the surprize! -

Susiecute- you are really on your way!  20 mins is real exciting!

Turtle who runs- You have a lot of fortitude to run after such a long day.  Keep it up.

Finished week 8 today. Still warm and humid in the AM, but today was a little better that earlier in the week.  Basically, I've been running the 3 miles, instead of 2.75 miles, but I've got the time to handle it. These "hot" runs should get me in good shape for the cool runs soon back home.  I started the week slow in these conditions, but finished 5 mins faster today, almost down to my 5K pace from 2 weeks ago.  Long drive back home tomorrow. Picked up a bright orange Ron Jon t-shirt to run in, for 2 reasons: a) so cars will see me & b) so hunters back home won't shoot me. LOL

Oh-one more thing.  Since I'm trying to train for a sprint triathlon next June, I decided to try on a "shortie" wetsuit at Ron Jon.  I hope to lose 50-70 more pounds by then, but I wanted to find out what my "before" size is now.  Well, I could kind of get on a men's XXL suit - but it wouldn't zip up because of my "chest". HA!  By next June, I hope I'll really fit in an XL. But that means I have to keep working at this.

Have a Happy Halloween!

Jo Ann C

Started Walking 7/15/09 Weight = 265#; C25K Grad 11/6/09

8/30/09 5K (62:42) 262# 10/2/10 5K (37:44) 206# 3/26/11 5K (36:42) PR 202#

6/19/10 10K (83:47) 208# 3/6/11 UAH 10K (79:18) 200#

6/27/10 IronGirl, Atlanta Tri S 1/3m/B 18m/R 3m (2:42:10) 207#; 5/15/11 - (2:34:08 200)#

9/25/10 Women's HM, Nashville (3:27:10) 209#, 11/13/10 Huntsville HM (3:17:27) 203#

2/13/11 Mercedes HM, B'ham (3:02:02) 203#; 3/19/11 Rocket 10mi (2:13:37) PR

4/30/11 RnR HM Nashville (3:10:12); 5/15/11 5/30/11 Cotton Row 10K (84:36) ;

6/11/11 Mt. Mania 15K (2:17:12); 7/16/11 Wet Dog Tri (98:56);

8/13/11 Mtn Lakes Tri; (2:13:32); 8/28 Rocketman Oly Tri; 9/10 Frantic Frog Tri (1:52:35)

9/24/11 Womens HM (2:54:28) 195# PR; 10/1 Toray 5K (35:35 PR);

10/15/11 Liz Hurley 5K (36:24); 10/22 Book-it 10K (74:51 PR) 197#;
    11/12/11 Huntsville HM - Target 2:50

• redhoney Amateur 22 posts since
    Oct 22, 2009
    144. Oct 31, 2009 8:47 PM (in response to ovenfried)

AFMR ~ Congrats to you and Mrs. F on completing the Couch to 5k!! Way to go. You guys give me so much inspiration. I know that I can do this and you guys are living proof. Good luck at your race. When is it again? Won't your kids be surprised when they see you two run. I am so excited for you guys.

Donna ~ Now that you have completed the Couch to 5k and have ran your first 5k and are running 3.1 miles in 50 minutes, maybe your next goal should be to work on your speed. There are workouts that you can do (I recently read an article on speed training but I have to find what I did with it) to increase your speed, such as sprints after your runs or, like somebody (sorry that I can't remember who) stated, run your long run, then run a short run (to work on increasing speed) and then run your normal run. There are so many articles here on Active.com about speed training. Whatever you decide to do...Good Luck!!

Turtle ~ I am amazed at your fortitide for running after working such long hours. I know that I have to literally pick myself up and drag myself out of the house on some days, even when I have worked from home. Now that I am not working, I should have no excuse, but even then, sometimes I find that I have to uber motivate myself to get to the gym.

Well, I did it. I ran today...even through the pain. I had a session with my trainer today and he was asking me how I was feeling. When I told him about my calf pain and how I could barely walk and hadn't run in four days, you know what he said? He told me to get on that treadmill and run! He claimed that the run would cause my muscles to warm up and that I would be fun and would barely feel the pain. You want to know what? He was right!! I will admit that I struggled in the beginning of the warm up, trying to get past the pain, and I was a little hesitant about starting my first 90 second run, but once I started running, I was fine and didn't even feel the pain. The 90 seconds flew by! By the time I did my 3 minute run, I was feeling fine and was so shocked when Robert told me that I was done! The only time that I really felt pain was during the walks in between and then I was quite sore afterwards, but I did it!! Then I went and took my kids out to go Trick or Treating for Halloween and walked for about a mile with them, albeit slowly. Now I am feeling still a bit sore but I can tell that it is starting to dissapate, so I am hoping I will be fine soon. I plan on finishing Week 3 on Sunday.

I am going up to New Jersey on Tuesday, for a week, to spend time with my parents. I am hoping that the weather cooperates up there as I don't really have "cold weather" gear. Have any of you ever run in a sweatshirt or do you think a simple long-sleeve shirt would be sufficient (as long as the temp does not dip below 40)? What about my capri running pants? For those of you that run in colder weather, do you find that you warm up enough to not wear heavy layers?

Ok...I'm off. Talk to you guys on Sunday...

• Melany812 Rookie 4 posts since
    Jun 30, 2009
    145. Oct 31, 2009 9:26 PM (in response to redhoney)

RedHoney-   You were wondering about what to wear in cold weather. I live in TN and currently it has been in the 30's to 50's, when I have been running. I wear compression pants, and short sleeve shirts or sometimes long sleeve duo dry cold weather shirts. You can get both the long sleeve top and compression pants at target for about $20.00 a piece. Which I don't think is too bad cost wise. I also usually wear a jacket when I start out, but usually end up taking it off and tieing it around my waist. You could probably wear your capri's and not feel too cold after you warm up, but for me if it is windy, I would rather have my legs covered. Hope that helps you some.

AFMR - Congratulations to you and Mrs. F on finishing your C25K. I am sure you will both do well on your Turkey Trot. Keep us posted on how you do. I try to do one 5K a month. I'm getting ready to start this program next week. I haven't started it yet, even though I have been running since June. I am hoping this program will make it easier for me. Still working towards being able to keep up with my Husband when he gets back from Iraq this next year.

• MrsFatmanrunning Expert 42 posts since
    Sep 16, 2009
    146. Nov 1, 2009 5:26 AM (in response to Melany812)

Thanks y'all for all the good wishes and congratulations! I still cant believe we have finished it. I have a bit of a feeling that we arent done yet since we havent done our race yet. Plus we do plan on continueing to run of course.

Our race is Nov 14th!!! I am pumped! We hope to get lots of pictures of stunned faces   I also have been thinking maybe its a good idea to be close to the amublence when our cross country runner finds out, he might just pass out lol!

Since he beat his personal best on his last race, i owe him two minutes of running. He still thinks I cant do it -- hah!

Mrs F 

• KilliansGal Amateur 40 posts since
    May 30, 2009
    147. Nov 1, 2009 5:22 PM (in response to MrsFatmanrunning)

Hi Everyone,

I have been following your thread for several weeks now. The support you show one another is so wonderful.  I started C25K today, just in time for Mr and Mrs F to finish!  (A BIG congratulations to you two!) I went to Ocean Springs, Mississippi to spend Halloween with my best friend and her family.  I told her all about it and even though I am in another southern city, Mobile, Alabama, we are going to do C25K together. Hopefully I will be finished by my 40th Birthday in January! 

Cheers

Looking forward to my "Runners High"

• SeeFluffyRun Legend 251 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    148. Nov 1, 2009 5:25 PM (in response to ovenfried)

MRandMRS copy.jpg

Congratulations Mr and Mrs F.  Not only did you graduate C25K but you became inspiration from so many others.  What a difference 9 weeks can make.  In the beginning, Mr. F, you struggled with running.  You sounded as if it was taking everything you had just to get out there and start running.  Now you run easier, encourage others and even continue to run when you are tired. You have learned to push through the mental and push forward.  You guys rock!  Congratulations on graduating from Couch to 5K.

Graduated C25K 08/09/2009

Restarted 04/01/2013

Follow me on my journey: SEEFLUFFYRUN

Twitter: @SeeFluffyRun

Facebook: SeeFluffyRun

Blog: seefluffyrun.blogspot.com

• susiecute Amateur 25 posts since
    Sep 28, 2009
    149. Nov 2, 2009 5:42 AM (in response to SeeFluffyRun)

Thanks, Fluffy!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...