Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

161413 Views 602 Replies Latest reply: Feb 7, 2013 9:53 AM by DD1509 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 Previous Next
  • marathon15 Rookie 36 posts since
    Jun 8, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    555. Aug 24, 2009 5:02 PM (in response to coloradolora)
    Re: Hip Arthroscopy & Labral Tear: Please help!

Hi All

Daisymtnbiker(Karen)-so glad your hip resurfacing is going well. I hope and pray you continue to recover well. I am about the same age as Karen-45 years of age-former marathon runner. Actually didn't start having the acute pain until three years ago-was diagnosed with a labral tear with 'some arthritic changes'. I tried an injection that worked for about 3 months and then had the surgery in September 2007 to repair the tear. When the surgeon went in, it was so shredded it couldn't be repaired-just debrided, the joint space was cleaned up-but he discovered that I didn't have 'some' arthritis but rather significant arthritis. Part of me feels like that surgery was a waste of time but the good that came out of it was that all of the arthritis was discovered. I too had a hip resurfacing procedure in May of 2008 but unfortunately for me, it was not successful. I am tall and thin-and small boned. My body did not grow the bone necessary to 'anchor' the new components in place. In Dec of 2008 I had an anterior hip replacement. I am finally pain free! And I am actually doing a little bit of running again with my surgeon's approval. I am 8 1/2 months post-op and I am running 3 miles at a time just a few days/week but it is better than nothing. I can do the elliptical and bike without any problem. The only thing that is good about the scope is that the hip is a very difficult joint to visualize with MRI's and/or x-rays. It is not until they actually go in that they know what is going on in there. When my hip resurfacing failed and I was still experiencing significant pain, we could not figure out why. I had bone scans and MRI's and x-rays, etc. All of the tests were inclusive and everything looked good. I went into the hip replacement surgery and didn't know why the first one failed until I woke up. Again--it was only when he went back in that he could see that the metal head and metal cap he had put in were both loose. I would make sure that your surgeon does a standing x-ray on you-Newtopside(?sp). It was very clear with a standing x-ray that I had bone on bone arthritis. I do have a good friend who has experienced the same things I have-he had a torn labrum, etc. He never had the surgery and is now planning for a hip replacement in October. He has continued to bike competively this whole time. There is a recovery with the scope. I had it scoped and went through 6 months of PT which I felt like was a waste of a whole year of my life. In hindsight-if I knew the extent of my problems, I would not have had it scoped. If your doctor tells you that you have any arthritis, the surgery for the torn labrum is a waste of time. If there is no sign of arthritis, go for it. I wish you luck with your decision. 

• dengar7948 Rookie 8 posts since
    Mar 22, 2009
    556. Sep 2, 2009 9:28 AM (in response to RAK027)

I have been going through the same issues. My insurance doen't pick up med equipt,so I was given an original price of almost 800$. I was looking to see if I could find one simular,I came upon the braceshop. I spoke to someone there and they told me $345.99 plus shipping(actual Phillipon/Bledsoe brace). A lot better than the others. So if  you are still looking for one, check out the www.braceshop.com. Unfortunatly, I had jumped the gun and didn't feel sure about the original surgeon, so I went to another at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. The new doc said I didn't need it(brought it in to him to make sure), and they took it back with a restock fee. Hope this helps unhless I'm too late. Good luck-I have rescheduled mine for Oct. So I'm nerveous.He's assistants are now telling me I need it but he Specificaly told me I just the booties part and i think positioning kit.-JenniferAckerman

</div>

• Hoohoo Rookie 3 posts since
    Aug 10, 2008
    557. Sep 16, 2009 3:59 PM (in response to carissaks)

now to everybody who had the hip labral tear surgery .its nice to know after all this years or months how are you doing.i'm 47 miserable with this pain veryt limited life activities .still some people sayu surgery is not the answer. after surgery and months of rehab i might have to go and have a refacing or hip replacment.so may be better wait and have the hip replacment because my pains are bearable now although limited in many activities, the driving of 30 mile and more is the worse part .

• NB40Runner Amateur 27 posts since
    Aug 28, 2007
    558. Oct 16, 2009 8:36 AM (in response to coloradolora)

I was just diagnosed with a Labral Tear and Femoreal Acetabular Impingement...based on an xray. I'm 40yrs and had different levels of hip pain for a few years....I just lived with it. I trained and ran multiple marathons with pain but after the last I had some rest and core bulding and been pretty much ok since.  It only got more limiting in the last couple months.

I've got the Arthrogram MRI scheduled in a couple weeks but once I started reading about this injury, SO many things fall into place, all the symptoms read just as I describe them.  It makes alot of correlated sense when I think back over the last few years of pain/discomfort.

I'm fully anticipating the suggestion will be arthroscopic surgery.  I'm so concerned that I won't run more than a few miles at a time again.  It's crushing to think that way.  I'm concerned the MRI will show arthritis and then what?  From what I read this warrants lots of other concerns.

I live in Michigan and want to know if anyone knows of a good surgeon in this area and had it done. If so what Dr. and how did it go?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mar 22, 2009
    559. Oct 28, 2009 11:57 AM (in response to coloradolora)

I just had Hip Arthroscopy 3 weeks ago to repair a labral tear and impingement. 3 weeks later I still have the same pain I had prior to the surgery plus new pain. My surgeon didn't do the Psoas release since he said he doesn't see how it's related (even though many other surgeons do the release on most hip scope surgeries). I explained this to him but trusted him anyway. I feel that in addition to the tear and impingement, I have alot of pain coming from the Psoas region. I had a follow up with my surgeon 5 days after the surgery and I explained to him that I'm still having pain and he could explain why and told me that I should be off all pain meds by now (5 days after surgery?) After I described new symptoms I was having since the surgery his explanation was "I didn't do that to you".Really caring Dr huh? The visit ended with him slamming the door on me. He really didn't want to hear that I was still having pain.

After reading stories on this board I know that the recovery is long (but not according to my surgeon). Has anyone else still had pain weeks after surgery and how long did it take for your pain to start to go away? Alot of my pain is coming from my lower back radiating into the groin/buttocks and then going down my inner thigh into my calf. Does anyone know if this caused by Psoas issues? Also on my MRI report it said something about a thickening of the ligamentum teres, does anyone know if that has any relation?

I'm not sure what to do since I still have pain and my surgeon seems like he really doesn't care now that the surgury is done. He wants me to make another follow up visit with him but I really don't want to since he treated me with disrespect and seemed like he really didn't care about my issue and concerns.

Thanks for any help you give

Jen

• sherrymclaughlinpt Rookie 27 posts since
    Apr 21, 2008
    560. Oct 28, 2009 12:25 PM (in response to dengar7948)

I would really love to help you out and I think I might have a solution. I have worked with these types of hip pain and have found that biomechanical alignment issues are often the cause of this pain. I blogged about it on this link: http://www.sherrymclaughlin.com/2009/10/fai-and-hip-labral-tears/

I would love to talk to you regarding your pain and offer you some suggestions. If you are up for it, please contact me at smclaughlin@mihp.net.

This invitation goes out to the others who posted to this blog that are still having pain issues, even after surgery.

Looking forward to helping you.

Sherry

P.S. Incidentally, we are in Michigan (www.mihp.net)

• soaringirl Rookie 9 posts since
    Dec 8, 2008
    561. Oct 28, 2009 12:31 PM (in response to dengar7948)

Sorry to hear about your pain.

If your doctor is not willing to talk to you, I would talk to your Physical Therapist and then to another doctor. Physical therapists tend to see people from multiple doctors, so they might be able to tell you what others got done in your situation to give you ideas what to discuss with a different doctor. Also, a lot of stretches/exercises will be painful at first, but eventually will relief you, so PT might really help you.

I don't remember when my pain went away. I do know that I can run 4 miles no problem (have not tried more), I skiied 3.5 months after surgery without pain, but e.g. the twist in golfing still hurts, so do too much yard work (digging in particular) and sitting for a long time (think air travel), but in normal life I have no pain and pain I get from activities goes away quickly if I do my stretches and a few of my exercises from PT.

In the beginning any rotating movement gave me pain in the buttocks. I got a rigid styrofoam roll to "massage" the area myself, plus during PT I was stretched and massages in the area, which helped a lot. For the psoas (not released on me either) I stretch daily, which made my clicking (and sometimes associated pain) pretty much go away.

Hope that helps.

Mar 22, 2009
    562. Oct 28, 2009 1:23 PM (in response to soaringirl)

Thanks for the reply. I've been throught Pt in the past for this issue as well as Pain in my upper back/neck. It seemed like the only thing useful to me that I don't already own is the massage part.Last year,I got a TENS unit that is very good and I ordered a US unit as well...I'm hoping this will help because the PT's around here are not very good(last year ,I had a PT yell at me when I asked if my problem was possibly hip related). They seem to put you on an egg timer and once an hr is up, you are out.  I'm not sure what my issues are,hopefully trigger points since this has been ongoing for over two years. I expected a lot out of this surgery and I'm totally disapointed.I read that some individuals had immediate relief...not me.When did you have your operation? Seems like you are having Psoas issues also, did your surgeon say anything about a surgical release? I just feel like I have lost enought of my life to this problem...I used to be very active and now,i feel like an old lady.I've been doing Home PT including some exercises as well as a stationary bike(only for several mins ) I have bad spasms in my thighs,you can actually see my leg quiver.I'm just about 3 wks post-op and I'm searching for an approapiate PT.LOL. What kind of stretches did you find useful? Thanks again, please let me know.-Jen

• Hoohoo Rookie 3 posts since
    Aug 10, 2008
    563. Nov 2, 2009 8:50 AM (in response to dengar7948)

aquatherapy is the real thing for post hip arthroscopy.here is the plan my dr told me

one month on crutches no weight bearing no driving

after one month aquatherapy in the swiming pool strengthening thigh muscles

aqupuncture for the psoas area for back issues 2 months

at least he gave me a plan of 3 months

where is your PT PLAN POST SURGERY

• catskillsjohn Rookie 9 posts since
    Jul 9, 2008
    564. Nov 2, 2009 10:07 AM (in response to Hoohoo)

anyone here have the surgery with either dr kelly or dr buley at hospital for special surgery in nyc??

also,

in anyone's mri reports-- did you see anything about a loss of signal at (for example) L5/L4??

thanks a lot!

Aug 28, 2007
    565. Nov 2, 2009 5:10 PM (in response to coloradolora)

I too would really like to know if anyone has had the surgery with Dr. Bryan Kelly or Dr. Buly at Hospital for Special Surgery.  I'm also looking for anyone who has been to Dr. Joseph McCarthy in Newtonville, MA or Dr. Mark Hutchinson in Chicago (Elmhurst, IL).  I am evaluating all these doc's so any feedback is appreciated.

Right now these docs are all booking months out and require travel for me since I live in Michigan.  Has anyone had other good experiences with doc's in the midwest?  Also, if you have any reasonable idea of what your surgery cost...not what you paid but what was billed to your insurance.

Thanks !

Mar 22, 2009
    566. Nov 2, 2009 6:43 PM (in response to NB40Runner)

Right now I'm 3 weeks Post Op and I don't have a PT plan yet (beside home exercises, TENS Unit,US and Upright Bike). The PT I was planning on going to I found out today doesn't take my insurance. They seemed perfect but it's unfortunate that I now have to find someplace else. I've tried plenty of them in the past and wasn't happy. Most seem to want to rush you out and are very cramped.

I live in Northern NJ and my Ortho Dr wanted me to go to Dr Kelley at HSS but since he doesn't most insurance plans I had to find another surgeon at HSS. I looked at Dr Buly, Coleman and Su (think that's how it's spelled) but none of them take Aetna. I also looked into Dr McCarthy in MA and Dr Philipon in CO who both took Aetna but I didn't see it realistic to travel that far since I'm close to New York. I chose Dr Boettner at HSS and as of right now I'm not very pleased. I hope he did a good job with the surgery but I'm still in pain so it might be too early to tell. He def has an attitude problem and didn't like that I told him I was still having pain during my follow up. He also didn't answer any questions that I had and ran out immediately after the surgery to go to a big ortho convention.He also kept changing post op instructions of how long I'll need to stay on crutches, meds etc...... He even mentioned possibly using a cane.

Since I had a lot of questions, I asked for a copy of the report and also found that he did a Bursectomy and never said anything to me about it.....  I don't mind that he did it if it was needed but he had a right to tell me.

Good luck in your seach for a surgeon. Many people have a lot of good things to say about Dr Kelley and I would have def went to him if he took Aetna. As for the price HSS billed Aetna about $19,000 for the surgery. I had a scope for labral tear, debriment, FAI and Bursectomy (even though I didn't know I had it). It seems that Dr Kelley also does a Psoas release which is something I feel like I could have benefited from. The price will prob depend on who you go to and how much you're having done. I had no cartilage damage so less work was involved.

• lilrunaway Amateur 34 posts since
    Dec 11, 2006
    567. Nov 5, 2009 8:38 AM (in response to coloradolora)

For those with a labral tear....

I was just reading through here...

I've had pain for over a year and a half that started in my front hip bone area and spread to low back, hip and leg. I'm wondering if any of you had referred pain in those areas? I had a hip x-ray but it didn't show anything. did any of you have an x-ray that didn't show anything and then the MRI did show??

was that MRI arthrogram really that bad? should I ask my doctor for a sedative if she orders one? I just wonder if anyone had similiar symptoms or pain was all in the hip.

thanks

lilrunaway

Aug 28, 2007
    568. Nov 5, 2009 9:13 AM (in response to lilrunaway)

Hi Lilrunaway,

Sorry you feel bad...good thing is we all feel your pain here.  I was recently diagnosed with a labral tear after having what I thought was a pulled groin.  Since then I have done hours to days of homework on everything from labral tears to impingements to MRI's and surgeons.  I can answer your questions from what I've experienced and read.  Hope it helps you some.

1) Referred pain.  Absolutely you can/will feel pain in your low back, front thigh, groin, hip area with a labral tear and other hip injuries.  Personally I have deep groin pain, front quad pain and low back/butt pain.  If I move suddenly or laterally I get shooting pains up through my eyeballs.  Sleeping is really tough, so is sitting and driving.  Besides the labral tear I have some bursitis and tendinosis so I suspect it's widespread for all those reasons.

2) Xray.  One thing I have read SO many times is that people are not diagnosed right.  An x-ray will not show a labral tear.  It could show an impingement (which is basically a change on the bone) but the only way to see a labral tear is with an MRI with contrast or with the actual hip scope. I don't think a CT scan shows it either but I may be wrong on that.   It seems many physicians out there don't know about labral tear symptoms, don't ask for MRI's with contrast and usually say it's nothing.  I don't get it...I picked the right Dr. initially who suspected the tear on my first visit and ordered the MRI/arthrogram which confirmed it.  My sister's sister-in-law suffered for 14 years before being correctly diagnosed.

3) MRI.  What are you nervous about...the needle of the arthrogram or the MRI tube?    I was very surprised how uneventful the arthrogram procedure was.  It wasn't exactly comfortable but if you get a good Dr. to do it, it wasn't that bad.  I shattered my wrist last year so nothing has compared to the emergency room pain when they had to set it...that is my comparison pain and nothing has come close to that.  For me the wrist set was a 10 and the arthrogram was a 2.  I am a little claustrophobic so I did take some valium before going in the tube.  I asked to go in feet first and it helped alot, just make sure you are comfortable on the table before they leave the room because you cannot move inside the tube.

One other thing.  I did have a slight allergic reaction to the contrast dye 4 days after.  I got a skin rash that ended up feeling like poison ivy.  It made me a little nervous but was nothing big in the end.

I have done a national (no joke) search for the best surgeons to do arthroscopy.  I want/need to be able to run again so it has become my focus to get healthy.

Good luck.  When is your MRI?  Make sure you write back what the findings are.

Nancy

Aug 28, 2007
    569. Nov 5, 2009 9:20 AM (in response to coloradolora)

Has anyone been to Dr. Guanche in Van Nuys, CA for a hipscope?   If so, any comments on him or the surgery center?

Thanks

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...