Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1260 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2009 12:32 PM by spicegeek
daydreams76 Amateur 30 posts since
May 21, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 1, 2009 1:14 PM

Knee Pain

I've been training for my first Half Marathon for the last few months. The race is scheduled for Nov. 22. Last week I did a long of 13.1mi, I use a walk/run method to train as well and have been sticking to trails. I had some knee pain the last two weeks and after my long last week I had some very bad knee pain and have so pain in my butt as well. I saw my chiropracter last thursday and he said it was a tight IT band and did some ART. I did no run at all last week and got back out there today to check out a 4mile part of the race course. This training run for this section had to be done on concrete sidewalk and is rolling hills. I did 1.5mile and had to walk the rest as my knee started acting up again. so i walked the rest of the way.I'm doing ITB stretches and icing and foam roller stretches in hoped that i'll be ok to run the half in 3 weeks. the pain inmy butt seems to be a similar to what is described for piriformis pain as well. I assume ITB and piriformis syndrome are related and feed off each other as far as injuries.
My question is if I rest to heal my IT Band and not run for the next 2-3 weeks, would I be able to get back and finish a Half Marathon mileage? THis is my first attempt and really only want to finish.
What would be some best practices at this stage to be able to finish the race injury free?

Thanks everyone.
Congratulations to all who ran te NYC marathon today!!!

• zepcrmc Expert 45 posts since
    May 13, 2009
    1. Nov 1, 2009 7:41 PM (in response to daydreams76)
    Re: Knee Pain

I would say to rest and ice the knee as much as possibe. You have already done the distance in training. I pulled a hip flexor 3 weeks before the Baltimore Marathon. I did not run for 2 1/2 weeks and saw a PT. Ran 10 miles a few days before the race and than did not run again until race day. Finished in 3:54:02, 6 min under my goal time. No pain during the run.

A good PT can realy help. Mine is a runner as well and understood what I was trying to do

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    2. Nov 1, 2009 9:02 PM (in response to daydreams76)

Go back to the chiro it may take a few treatment for the ART to work - I had 2 or 3 before I could run again and a few more treatments after.

When you start running again run run one mile stop stretch - run another 2 miles stop stretch - avoid hills - as soon as you feel the knee stated to hurt STOP ! ice your knees after running and keep foam rollling. The IT band starts int he butt area so yes you may get pain there too

Also - do some exercises to strengthen the hips - that is usually the underlaying issue

Do NOT bike - that`s as bad as running

Yes you`ll be able to run the half

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• marley mission Pro 65 posts since
    Jul 2, 2009
    4. Nov 2, 2009 12:11 PM (in response to daydreams76)

get vibrams five fingers

now running in...

Vibram Five Fingers KSO and KSO TREKS

come ck out the vff enthusiast community birthdayshoes.com

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa311/marleymission/bobrunnercopy.png

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    5. Nov 2, 2009 12:32 PM (in response to daydreams76)

my chiropractor recommended leg raises - lay on your side keep both feet flexed ( toes NOT pointed ) and parrallel to the ground - keep your top straight - lift a little and move it as far behind as you can - from the posn lift you leg slowly up and slowely lower - it`s a smallish range of motion if you keep your feet prarallel to the ground - if you want  to make it harder balance a body bar on your leg while you lift or use ankle weights

you can do standing forward side and back leg raises with a resistance band

and the last one single leg squats while doing a side leg raise - you can hold a wall or chair for balance - you should feel those in the side of your butt

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...