Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4127 Views 35 Replies Latest reply: Nov 3, 2009 5:26 PM by spicegeek RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • bellsway Legend 343 posts since
    Jan 28, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Nov 1, 2009 1:33 PM (in response to silvereagle)
    Re: Spicegeek Goodluck

Ya did it, Spicegeek!  What a great feeling.  Go celebrate, you earned it!

Plan your run and then run your plan.

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    16. Nov 1, 2009 8:47 PM (in response to silvereagle)

Thanks to the wonders of modern stalking you guys knew my finish time before I did !

Thank you for the good luck wishes and support - as you can tell I had a great day - thrilled to post a close to 4 hour finish at my first marathon - especially one that is considered a tough course. It`s been a bit of ride going from a 225lb slob to a marathon runner in 3 years - I`m pretty damn proud of myself !

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• Donna914 Legend 357 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009
    17. Nov 2, 2009 3:14 AM (in response to spicegeek)

You are an inspiration!! Way to Go!

• CLS89 Legend 212 posts since
    Oct 13, 2008
    19. Nov 2, 2009 6:11 AM (in response to spicegeek)

Congrats Spice!!! That's an AWESOME time!

~Cristina~ (@mission262)

Currently training for:

Electric City Gobbler 5k 11/25/20

Kiawah Island Half-Marathon 12/11/10

Shamrock Marathon 3/20/11

• Forrest Duck Pro 121 posts since
    May 6, 2009
    20. Nov 2, 2009 9:35 AM (in response to spicegeek)

spicegeek wrote:

It`s been a bit of ride going from a 225lb slob to a marathon runner in 3 years - I`m pretty damn proud of myself !

As so you should, spicegeek.  That is totally........AWSOME!

Finish well!

• @RunRayRun Pro 122 posts since
    Apr 15, 2009
    21. Nov 2, 2009 10:39 AM (in response to spicegeek)

Congrats to you, will surely wait for your report and tips.  I just registered for the lottery for next year (my 1st full) and you are truly an inspiration!

~ Tumblr ~ DailyMile ~ Twitter ~

• JeanieISN Pro 79 posts since
    Jul 29, 2008
    22. Nov 2, 2009 11:05 AM (in response to silvereagle)

Spicegeek- WOW!!! Not much more I can say then WOW and CONGRATS!!!!!  That time is amazing and I can only imagine the feeling you must have had and the high you must still be on.

I am doing my first marathon in 3 weeks, so I'll be waiting to read your race report with much anticipation!

Thanks for the inspiration!

Jeanie

Jan 14, 2007
    23. Nov 2, 2009 11:16 AM (in response to silvereagle)

OK RACE REPORT ...

My marathon journey in truth started at the finish line of the 2007 NYC Half Marathon - my first half marathon I finished in 2 hours and 37 mins - That`s the moment I decided I wanted to run the NYC Marathon. Right there and then I planned to run my 9 qualifying races in 2008 with NYRR to secure my entry for 2009.

2007 was also the year a friend who had got me into racing ran her first NYC marathon - I started doing some runs with her - but by the end of 2007 discovered I had a stress fracture - my plan was not off to good start - laid up for the first 3 months of 2008 with a stress fracture followed by another month down time due to surgery - my first few races toward my marathon goal were not exactly impress - 5k and 4 milers at high 10`s and 11 min miles. But I regained my form and managed to run a sub 2:30 half in Chicago and further improved on that time a few weeks later running a 2:15 half in Staten Island - At the time my goal was to finish under 5 hours.

Almost fitting I finally broke a 10mm race pace at the Poland Spring Marathon kickoff 5 mile race - little did I know I year later I would run 26.2 miles at a faster pace than I set over those 5 miles.

With my 9 races complete and my entry to the 2009 Marathon secured I started 2009 with my eye on the goal of a 4:30 finish - Time to get serious I went back on a diet and dropped the last of the weight I had to loose. Around this time I started working more closely with Jonathan - my trainer and best friend who would see me through all this. After running a sub 10mm pace at my frst half of 2009 I decided I wanted to break a 2 hour half before running the full and set my sights on doing that at the More Half in April - the day dawned so hot the race was downgraded to an untimed fun run - but Jonathan had showed up to watch so I set my watch and went for it - I  ran an unofficial sub 2 hour - I made it official at the NYC Half in August  - another hot day !

As the training progressed Jonathan refused to accept my 4:30 goal or the 4:15 projected finish ( stretch goal ) I had put on my marathon application - his unrelenting belief in my ability was hard to ignore and I set my goal to do the best I can

a few weeks before the race Jonathan moved away - but my race weekend started off a great note with dry cool weather forecast and Jonathan flying back to be with me for the race.

It was wonderful to have someone to come with me the ferry - 45,000 runners have to be transported over to Staten Island for the start - this huge race has 3 starts and within each start has 3 waves - the courses do not merge until mile 8. I was in the 3rd wave blue start - so the first people out had already been running for 40 mins - it does help spread the crowd in the early part of the race and being at the front of wave 3 I had a very clear course for the first. Starting a race on an island does have it`s draw backs - you need to be at the start several hours before your gun time - it`s windy and cold - but I was huddled up in a sleeping bag I took with me for that very reason.

The first 14 miles were perfect - I was holding a pace that would qualify me for Boston and feeling good - the crowds were amazing. At Mile 15 you start the climb over the 59th street bridge - I could have run up faster but this is where the course started to get crowded and maintaining your pace hard - even going down people were not moving well - shooting out onto first ave was great but from here on people started to slow and the congestion got worse as the course narrowed - I knew I had a few people watching over the next few miles and I made it to mile 18 in good shape spotting my friends on route. The next 2 miles were sparse with people and also has a slow steady climb ending in the metal grids over the Willis ave bridge - those grates felt like hell on your feet even with the carpets - The Bronx was short and sweet and then back into Manhattan for the long steady climb to Central Park - I spotted Jonathan on the sidelines here and that gave me a huge boost -  The one mile to go sight was the most welcome sight in the world - until I finally rounded the corner and spotted the first of the finish line bleechers ... up yet ANOTHER hill to the finish !!

NYC is known to be a tough course due to the bridges and twists especially in the second half of the race - I feel really proud to run a 4 hour marathon at my first attempt - just 13 mins shy of getting into Boston .. next year !!!!

16,193 out of 43474 over all ( top 37% )
    3383 out of 5100 woman ( top 22%)
    619 out of 2628 in my age group ( top 23 % )

Here are my split stats if you care

http://connect.garmin.com/splits/17806653

• Tri 2 Do It Pro 84 posts since
    Jan 2, 2008
    24. Nov 2, 2009 11:47 AM (in response to spicegeek)

Sounds like Jonathan and you both trusted your training and adjusted your goal time accordingly... awesome job!!

• CLS89 Legend 212 posts since
    Oct 13, 2008
    25. Nov 2, 2009 12:16 PM (in response to spicegeek)

Awesome RR!  (Didn't realize how close to a BQ you were, awesome!!!) And very inspirational, my half marathon times are similar to the way yours started out (2:36, 2:15, hoping to go under 2:00 next) so you've given me hope for a sub-4 hour marathon one day!

Question - what model Garmin do you have?  I'm asking for one as an Xmas present and was thinking the 205, but I really liked the data display yours gives..

~Cristina~ (@mission262)

Currently training for:

Electric City Gobbler 5k 11/25/20

Kiawah Island Half-Marathon 12/11/10

Shamrock Marathon 3/20/11

Jan 14, 2007
    26. Nov 2, 2009 12:24 PM (in response to CLS89)

I have the 405 - the 205 would do the same without the heart rate info I beleive

I don`t look at the HR during training but I did track how it changed over time

I like the size of the 405 - it`s more compact

• BonnieV Rookie 7 posts since
    Jun 29, 2009
    27. Nov 2, 2009 12:46 PM (in response to spicegeek)

Wow.. what an inspiration you are!

Congratulations!!

Bonnie

• 3hungryelk Amateur 24 posts since
    Sep 8, 2009
    28. Nov 2, 2009 2:20 PM (in response to spicegeek)

You have so much to motivate you toward Boston!  My first and second HM's were 2:17, you ran twice that far, at a faster pace.  I'm very impressed at what a heart full of determination and a great trainer can do.  Great job girl!  I've been trying to get back into running after a bout with depression recently.  Tried to post on this site many times but maintenance was an issue.  Glad to see that some of the familiar faces are here....new ones too.  Ran 7 mi. 10 min pace today, it was beautiful!

• @RunRayRun Pro 122 posts since
    Apr 15, 2009
    29. Nov 2, 2009 4:14 PM (in response to spicegeek)

Wow, mile 16 1,981 elevation gain must be the hardest?  07:37 pace on mile 17 must be the easiest? Must be hard as well from mile 23 to finish line? How do you train to maintain your max hr below max zone? It seems to be my biggest problem, my garmin is set to alarm when I go max, specially going uphill and making the pace faster.  I don't bring my HRM during race as it beeps a lot during training and I know it should beep a lot during race as I am faster on race day.  Maybe I should just turn it off on race day, do you?

~ Tumblr ~ DailyMile ~ Twitter ~

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...