Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

35678 Views 296 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2011 6:08 AM by Suzanne84 Go to original post 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 Previous Next
  • Forrest Duck Pro 121 posts since
    May 6, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    285. Nov 1, 2009 1:53 AM (in response to kimc921)
    Re: Penguin Support Group

Congrats, Kim!  It just gets better and better!

Finish well!

• disneygal2 Legend 455 posts since
    Sep 30, 2009
    286. Nov 1, 2009 8:59 AM (in response to kimc921)

Congratulations Kim!   You did well!   Two goals.. running the whole thing and a new personal best!   I am working hard so that I can do the same on Thanksgiving Day.  I want to run the whole thing.  I mean I want to jog the whole thing.  After all I am a penguin!!   I am also looking for a personal best as my last 5 k time is from September and I ran/walked that.   Way to go Kim!

PRAISE GOD!!!

Couch to 5 K Graduation Day November 26, 2009

Dana Hills Turkey Trot  Thanksgiving Day 2009 5 K....  Time 32:22  MY FIRST 5k

Jan 9 Irvine 5k Time 32:52

Feb 7 Super Bowl 10k  1:08:31  MY FIRST 10K

September 5 2010  DISNEYLAND HALF MARATHON:  2:41:00

• RobinfromMaine Pro 162 posts since
    Dec 6, 2008
    287. Nov 1, 2009 11:43 AM (in response to disneygal2)

I wanted to post this before, in response to the NYT article on slow marathon runners, but had to wait until the site saw fit to restore reply button

Anyway, this is from the blog of a life-long runner, who ran the Boston Marathon in 2:31:37 ....

http://nnhsxc.blogspot.com/2009/10/those-who-race-and-those-who-finish.html

Run on!

Robin

• Donna914 Legend 357 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009
    288. Nov 1, 2009 12:11 PM (in response to RainyDayRun)

Kim, Congratulations!!! Way to go!!! Running the whole 3 miles is really something!!!

Jo Ann; glad you are having a good time and keeping your running going on vacation is impressive!! Hope your ankle gets better soon.

Jenny (RainyDay);  Hope your wedding day was all you wished for!! Congratulations!

Michael; hope your ankle gets better soon too!

smashville; love the penguins shirt!

disneygirl; Good luck on Thanksgiving; you will do fine. I can't find a 5K around here on Thanksgiving; just 5 milers and I am not sure I am ready for that.

RobinfromMaine; thanks for the link!

I ran 2.9 miles yesterday and it was a beautiful day!  I am trying to work out a routine for my weeks now that I am done with C25K but really not ready for anything else until I get running better. I run 3 miles in about 50-53 minutes.  The 5K was a wonderful experience even for a penguin; no one cared that I did it in 50.5 min and there were even people after me. I was 28 out of 34 in women from 45-49 years old.

QUESTION

Does anyone want me to make weekly Penguin threads or do you just want to continue this way? After three yes posts I will go ahead and make one labeled "Penguin Support Group - Sunday Nov 1 - Saturday Nov 7"

• kimc921 Pro 108 posts since
    Apr 15, 2009
    289. Nov 1, 2009 1:08 PM (in response to Donna914)

Donna, I say go for the new thread.  Lots of groups like this start a new one each week.

"Success isn't how far you got, but the distance you traveled from where you started."

-- Steve Prefontaine

One more breath, one more step, one more mile, FINISH LINE!

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

Apr 15, 2009
    290. Nov 2, 2009 7:04 AM (in response to kimc921)

I forgot to mention the celebrities at the 5k on Saturday.  Jeff Galloway, Frank Shorter, Dick Beardsley, Rob Powers (the "voice" of running) and Coach Chris Gillespie were all there, handing out the awards and speaking.  Frank and Dick even ran with us.   It was a really fun day!

"Success isn't how far you got, but the distance you traveled from where you started."

-- Steve Prefontaine

• classicallytrained Legend 375 posts since
    Jul 20, 2009
    291. Nov 2, 2009 5:59 PM (in response to kimc921)

Way to go, Kim. I can't believe you got to see Jeff Galloway, et all. That is so cool.

Jasmine, I hope your ankle gets better.

I wore an ankle brace for a couple of days and rested yesterday.

I tried running with the brace today. It was too bulky and more painful with than without.

After taking it off, I ran two miles at a perfect Penquin pace. No pain. Feeling strong!

Afterwards, I soaked it in cold water (not fun...brr) for ten minutes. Felt good the rest of the day.

Donna, I vote for a weekly thread. Nothing will change except scrolling through 20 pages of fascinating adventures.

BTW - I am celebrating. I posted runs totalling 42.95 miles for the month of October.

I know that is a fraction of what some folks post.

But when I got off the couch in June, I never dreamed anything like this would be happening.

Apr 15, 2009
    292. Nov 2, 2009 6:08 PM (in response to classicallytrained)

Great job for October, Michael.  Glad that your ankle is feeling better, and that you took care of it before it got worse.  Sometimes we're so focused on getting in the miles that we ignore things until they're really bad.

And you're remark about never having dreamed this could be happening -- ditto.  If you had told me one year ago that I would be running, and LOVING IT, I would have said you were nuts. :)

-- Steve Prefontaine

• mngreeneyes Pro 72 posts since
    Sep 25, 2009
    293. Nov 2, 2009 6:34 PM (in response to RainyDayRun)

Donna- I think I am vote Number 3!  Go for the weekly thread.

pam

The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start!  John Bingham

Run when you can,

Walk when you have to,

Crawl if you must--

Just never give up....  Dean Karnazes

• mngreeneyes Pro 72 posts since
    Sep 25, 2009
    294. Nov 2, 2009 6:39 PM (in response to kimc921)

Way to go, Kim.  You are my hero.

pam

The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start!  John Bingham

Run when you can,

Walk when you have to,

Crawl if you must--

Just never give up....  Dean Karnazes

• classicallytrained Legend 375 posts since
    Jul 20, 2009
    295. Nov 6, 2009 4:06 AM (in response to mngreeneyes)

Hey, Penpals,

Has anyone heard from Rainy Day Run?

The wedding was on Halloween.

I hope she is getting some rest.

• Suzanne84 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 15, 2011
    296. Oct 10, 2011 6:08 AM (in response to RainyDayRun)

I'm a penguin too. I want to be an albatross when I grow up! I found that it really helps to have someone supporting me. I was running, and a neighbour said "I saw you out doing your power walking today" and I felt so put down, I quit running. Then my sister who is also a penguin, and recovering from a lisfranc injury and breast cancer started runnng and in supporting her, I got running again, and now she's supporting me. I look forward to being part of this group.

1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...