Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

1612 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 4, 2009 6:04 AM by barnhl
barnhl Rookie 2 posts since
Nov 3, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 3, 2009 1:06 PM

Training for 2nd tri

I completed my first sprint tri in early October.  I had followed an 11 week training plan and feel like it worked well.  I had planned to do another tri in the spring.  I have been hitting the gym for some weight training/running/swimming, but nothing like when I was "in training".  I have found another tri, or actually a series of tris that begin the first week in January and then in February with the last being in March.  They are all sprints.  So, my question is, should I restart the original training plan or do something differently? What should I be doing on the 4 weeks between the tris?  I feel like I could do the distances again, but would like to improve on my times. Any suggestions for training programs or other references would be greatly appreciated!

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Nov 3, 2009 1:19 PM (in response to barnhl)
    Re: Training for 2nd tri

do you want to do the series and race well or just do it for fun and train hard for the spring race?

if the series is the most important make the last race your "A" race and get a trainign plan or coach to develop a plan around it and use the other races as hard training days

if the spring race is the "A" race then train/race  the series and build your training plan around that race

trinewbies.com, beginnertriathlete.com, trifuel.com and slowtwitch all have generic training plans that you can use or tweak

where is the race series if you don't mind me asking?

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• jasonmellet Pro 77 posts since
    Jul 6, 2009
    2. Nov 3, 2009 7:41 PM (in response to barnhl)

Have you thought about joining a Tri club. Working out with other people is a lot more fun than working out alone. Although that is also important as Tri-athlon is a solo sport. The other benefit is that you can draw from their experience and knowledge and can get a lot of your questions answered.

Jason Mellet

Im racing my first full ironman in may 2011. I am raising money for alzheimer's whilst im training for it. You can find out more in my blog on my Facebook page.

http://tinyurl.com/2e8sazl

Here is my Alzheimer's donatation page.

http://tinyurl.com/23fqnhf

• andrea hoeschen Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 24, 2008
    3. Nov 3, 2009 8:03 PM (in response to barnhl)

If you don't join a tri club, definitely try to find a training partner.  I really recommend the book "Fitness Cross-Country Skiing" by Steven Gaskill.  Obviously it is designed for skiers, but it breaks your year into four training segments, including one for your competitive season, and gives you specific daily workouts and shows how to space them over a month and integrate them with appropriate recovery during race season.  It is very easy to adapt the workouts to swimming, biking, and running, because each one gives very specific heart rate targets, and includes an alternative to skiing (such as biking, running or swimming ).  The book also include excellent methods for testing your fitness, so you can gauge your progress.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points