Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

22553 Views 126 Replies Latest reply: Nov 17, 2009 8:34 AM by upwardbound Go to original post 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 Previous Next
  • TransplantedPotato Expert 52 posts since
    Sep 6, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    75. Nov 4, 2009 5:27 PM (in response to GoRunIrish)
    Re: 200 lbs+ Nov 2nd-Nov 8th

Wow! Look at how many posts and how many new members we have! Welcome, everybody! Glad to have you all join the party!

I missed checking in this morning since I had to get to work nearly two hours earlier than normal, but I got out for my run. It was a thirty minute run and it's the first run since I caught that flu that has felt good and "normal"! I was so excited! That technically wraps up week 1 of One Hour Runner for me. On to week 2 (same as the first)!

Have a great night, everybody!

We are always running for the thrill of it thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill searching for the thrill of it
    On and on and on we are calling out and out again
    Never looking down I’m just in awe of what’s in front of me

-"Walking on a Dream", Empire of the Sun

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Graduated C25k: 10/28/09

One Hour Runner: Week 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Courage, trust, and relentless forward motion.

• AnthonyJTa Amateur 30 posts since
    Aug 24, 2009
    76. Nov 4, 2009 6:56 PM (in response to ChubbyRunrGrl)

I've become an Asics guy... I tried some Nikes, killed me. I started out in an Asics GT2130 (at 300lbs), it wasn't sturdy enough for me so I basically ended up in a motion control shoe- the Asics Gel Evolution 5. Great shoe if your gait warrants that much support. They did their job alright, and I lightened up enough to go back to the 2130's. I just rewarded myself with a pair of Gel Kayano 15's, AND a pair of Asics Trabuco 12 GTX (Goretex for the gnarly NE winters!!)... Sadly, I can't really wear the Evolutions anymore, because the sturdiness is pretty much overkill now that I'm a heck of a lot lighter.

As far as other gear goes, I try to buy higher end stuff (got a wonderful Asics Optech sport top with a built in light!) on occasion as I think the guys at my local running shop (Greater Boston Running Company - shameless plug!) are awesome. But it tends to get pretty pricey and I do go budget on the stuff I can skimp on price, like basic mesh shorts, or *copy cat* Under Armour. Oddly enough some of my favorite shorts were a $6 pair of Starter mesh shorts from Walmart- so I grabbed a pair in each color. I used to play hockey, so I have a lot of nice base layer stuff already, even a pair of compression shorts & pants.

• aprillilly Expert 53 posts since
    Oct 30, 2009
    77. Nov 4, 2009 6:59 PM (in response to Turtle Who Runs)

Thank you so much for telling me your experience in preparing for and completing W5 D3. I too am a little nervous about it. My day will be Friday. We are leaving for a 5 day vacation on Friday but I plan to do my 20 minute run before we leave.

I will tke your advice and go slowly.

aprillilly
    Oct 30, 2009
    78. Nov 4, 2009 7:07 PM (in response to abfritz)

Yes, W5 D3 is intimidating but with your encouragement about all the others who have done it is giving me confidence. It is just that looking at the previous running schedules, it seems like a stretch. Well, I am up for the stretch..thanks again

aprillilly
  • BrandyJoe Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 4, 2009
    79. Nov 4, 2009 7:15 PM (in response to GoRunIrish)

Hello! I am new to the area and just registered for the Gobbler Run. I don't know a soul here, have a big weight-loss goal to acheive and figured I'd do everything I could to make running my new thing. I have started out run/walking about a 4 mile route through the neighborhood - takes me just under an hour to complete.  I have been toying with the idea of doing the Gobbler Run but kept opting out because I knew I could not run the entire way. After reading everyone's encouraging words I realized I will not be the only one who can't run a 5K in record time! I must say the iPod shuffle I bought was well worth the purchase - just when I am loosing steam I find an great song with a good fast beat and suddendly I find my second wind. I am still new to the sport, and have a lot to learn as far as training. I am reading alot about everyones schedules, Week 1, C25K, etc. and am wondering what exactly that's about? Could anyone help me with understanding a program or basic training schedule for a newbie like me? And what is Couch to 5k? I always tend to over-do it in th begining instead of starting out with smaller, more realistic goals and working upwards from that. Add that to the fact that I am extremely impatience for results = why I've never been able to stick to a running program and actually acheive a goal. For me and the Gobbler Run - it's about crossing the finish line. I don't care if I am the very last person to do it - I just want to achieve the success of crossing the line. The speed and strength will come later.

Good luck to everyone out there! I am excited about this new venture!

• AnthonyJTa Amateur 30 posts since
    Aug 24, 2009
    80. Nov 4, 2009 7:22 PM (in response to aprillilly)

It is a bit of a shocker.... I never looked at the workouts planned out, I just used Robert Ullery's C25K podcast and remembered hearing him say "20 minute run"... it went from 3 min/5 min intervals, to 8 min/5 min, to 20 minutes straight. I just used my Nike+ wristband to monitor my pace, and adjust if needed.. and that's exactly what I did. I was more concerned with finishing the 20 minute run at a moderate pace than finishing it up with blistering speed.

Just remember there's nothing in stone that says you have to finish the program in 9 weeks. Adjust it to suit Aprillilly's needs.

• upwardbound Amateur 8 posts since
    Nov 4, 2009
    81. Nov 4, 2009 7:24 PM (in response to GoRunIrish)

Hello.  I am soo very impressed with everyone here!!  I wish I had found this group way earlier! I can not believe you finished soo well and strong!! WAY TO GO.  I have done 4 5Ks this year.  I did one in Feb and March, but started to fast too soon and ended up with a shin splints / stress fractures.  OUCH.  I did my 3rd 5K on 10/3/09 finished in 51 mins,  I just did my 4th 5K 11/1/09 and finished in 48 mins with a sore foot!!   I am doing my 5th 5K on turkey day so I am hoping to finish under 45 mins.  I can not believe you did soo well your first time out, that is soo awesome.  I wish I would have found this program in Jan, but oh well ... you live and learn, right?  I figure there is always 5Ks to do which will mean I can keep improving my time.  Then move up to 10K and 15Ks.  I just love that no one is ashamed at being a over 200lb runner.  Ya'll rock and are inspiring!!! 

Oct 30, 2009
    82. Nov 4, 2009 7:36 PM (in response to AnthonyJTa)

thank you,Anthony, I will remember that when I do my run on Friday.

aprillilly
  • AFatManRunning Legend 326 posts since
    Sep 14, 2009
    83. Nov 4, 2009 9:05 PM (in response to DanceWalkRunPenguin)

DanceWalkRunPenguin,

The kids know we are exercising, but don't know we're running.  Most days we went out early in the morning before they were up. We'd have our eldest get up and move to the couch, so she could hear the youngest if she woke, but other than her, most of them never even saw us going out until we had to fit in some afternoon workouts.

So far, our secret seems to have held.  I don't think any of them have figured it out, but me sitting in the living room with ice on my legs probably has some of them wondering.

It was my wife's idea--really! Okay, it helps that I need to lose the weight, too.

http://oursecretplan.blogspot.com (FatManRunning - Couch to 5k)

Completed Couch-to-5k - 10/30/09

Chaska Turkey Trot 5k - 11/14/09 (42:13)

Howard Lake Turkey Tagalong 5k - 11/26/09 (42:23)

Sat around like a bum while I finished grad school - 11/27/09 to 6/25/10

Restarted running 6/26/10

City of Festivals 5k - 08/07/10 (40:45) - ran with Mrs. F and four of the kids!

• NCgirl Rookie 4 posts since
    Dec 5, 2007
    84. Nov 4, 2009 10:48 PM (in response to GoRunIrish)

I started running this year after 28 years of not being able to run...Im 61 and my weight in the spring was 196 lbs. I walked and jogged 1 mile to start and built up to where im at now ..Mainily I run 4 miles 3 or 4 times a week now. My first 5k was 29:11, then 28:49, and now at 26:43 with my weight down to 173. I watch what I eat with no junk food. And I thank God for allowing me to have the desire of my heart which is to be able to run again...Gil Taylor

• babeinthewoods Expert 54 posts since
    Sep 8, 2009
    85. Nov 5, 2009 5:38 AM (in response to NCgirl)

NCgirl - WOW!  Looking at what you've achieved in such a short time - you should be very proud. I know I would be! You're times are impressive. You mention the desire to run again. So I'm thinking at some point you were a runner and have just gotten back to it. If that's so, welcome back! I started running at the end of August and I love it.

10/03/09  - GVSU family 5K - 41:25

11/26/09 - Turkey Trot 5K - 40:07

12/05/09 - YMCA Jingle Bell 5K - 40:05

12/13/09 - Jingle Bell Run 5K -

TRAINING PROGRAMS

One Hour Runner started 11/13/09

C25K started 8/30/09 finished 11/20/09

• moviechic3 Pro 96 posts since
    Nov 5, 2009
    86. Nov 5, 2009 7:06 AM (in response to babeinthewoods)

Noticed this site after I signed up for a 5K a few weeks ago.

I'm still a beginner, started the C25K program this summer (end of May) and have participated in three 5K races in October.

#1 : Walk/Run finished in 48.32

#2 : Ran the whole thing, finished 47

#3 : Walk/Run (was coming off being sick and no training for a week and half) finished in 46:10

Still trying to get back on track after being sick, my next race is in 9 days. Not for sure if I can improve with the time.

I'm also happy to see this discussion list for the 200+ club, because around here, I always feel like I'm the biggest girl out there running (at 228lbs)

http://some-people-juggle-geese.blogspot.com/ (My Blog)

Upcoming Races :

11/03/12 Race the Bar 15K Winston-Salem, NC

Completed Races :

05/26/12 Run The Haw 10K Graham, NC 1:20:03

04/28/12 Owl's Roost 3.5M Greensboro, NC 46:26

03/24/12 Race the Bar 5K Winston-Salem, NC 42:52

09/15/12 Dublin Half Marathon Dublin, Ireland 3:20:24

10/20/12 Hit the Brixx 10K Greensboro, NC 1:22:05

• Turtle Who Runs Pro 110 posts since
    Sep 29, 2009
    87. Nov 5, 2009 7:32 AM (in response to aprillilly)

Hi all,

Just finished W7D1 today.  I know it's good that I'm running for 25 min. straight, but I miss the walk breaks, just a little bit.  Today I actually kept going and ran for 30 minutes (I knew that a downhill was coming on my route-is that cheating? ) , which I thought was 2 miles, but when I mapped it out, it was 1.95 miles (so close).  While I was slower than my previous run (15.3 min mile), I'm still so happy that I was able to keep going.  My hubby and I have a 5K on Sun, so I'm hoping to finish in 46 min or better.

Welcome to all the newbies out there; you will find that this board gives great support, motivation, and advice. Everybody is great here.

Aprillily-Let us know how the 20 minute run goes tomorrow.  I'm sure you'll do great!!

I have a couple of really stupid questions about what you do at your 5K:

1.  What do you do with your car keys?  Neither me or my husband has pockets, so we never know what to do with our keys.  Our car key isn't a small key either, it's pretty bulky.

2.  How do you normally warm up while you're waiting to start?  I usually hang out and stretch, but this time, I'm thinking of walking for a few minutes, then starting with a jog at the race.

Thanks for the info.  Happy running!!!

-I may be slow, but at least I'm moving forward. 
  • moviechic3 Pro 96 posts since
    Nov 5, 2009
    88. Nov 5, 2009 7:39 AM (in response to Turtle Who Runs)

Turtle Who Runs :

First off, love the name.

Answer to questions #1. I have my car key and house key on a clip that I then attach to my bra strap. None of my pants have pockets and this works out perfectly.

#2. I try to walk as much as possible before the race. I either park further away so it takes so time to get to the sign-up area, or if it's a smaller race (like the one I did on Halloween) I walked (slowly) a couple times around the block just to warm up. Then I do simple leg stretches waiting for the race to begin.

That's how I do it, wether it's the right thing to do or not, I have no idea LOL

http://some-people-juggle-geese.blogspot.com/ (My Blog)

Upcoming Races :

11/03/12 Race the Bar 15K Winston-Salem, NC

Completed Races :

05/26/12 Run The Haw 10K Graham, NC 1:20:03

04/28/12 Owl's Roost 3.5M Greensboro, NC 46:26

03/24/12 Race the Bar 5K Winston-Salem, NC 42:52

09/15/12 Dublin Half Marathon Dublin, Ireland 3:20:24

10/20/12 Hit the Brixx 10K Greensboro, NC 1:22:05

• CenTexWannaRun Amateur 11 posts since
    Oct 23, 2009
    89. Nov 5, 2009 8:13 AM (in response to GoRunIrish)

everyone's running stories have inspired me to accelerate my 5k schedule because i found a Thanksgiving Day Turkey Trot in my hometown sponsored by Comal Cops for Kids - it is the inaugural run, so i think it'd be a lot of fun to participate in.  it is 3 weeks from today, so it'll be during W5 - but i'm sure that is fine, judging from the weeks that others on here say that they've run 5ks.

so i now have 2 5k runs scheduled before my C25k program finishes.  i think that is good though because of the extra motivation.  and you know what?  if i'm struggling too much during the first one, i'll just back off and walk for a couple of minutes and then run as much as i can.  i'm not racing anyone (but my own brain, of course), so there is no real pressure on me to run the whole thing or finish in a pre-determined time.

1st Annual Gruene Turkey Trot

26 November -- Gruene, TX

17th Annual St. Jude's Ranch for Children Jingle Bell 5k

12 December -- New Braunfels, TX

anyone in the 'area' should think about joining me!!

-George-

C25k Progress:

Week: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  Day: 1 2 3

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...