Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

23063 Views 223 Replies Latest reply: Dec 10, 2009 6:49 PM by beachbum724 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 Previous Next
  • Teresa K "wally" Amateur 15 posts since
    Aug 19, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    90. Nov 3, 2009 6:44 PM (in response to beachbum724)
    Re: W1D1 October 17 or 18- who's beginning?

i did w3d2 today. since i run by the prompts on my podcast i was a bit dissapointed that w3d1 podcast was 90sec runs. but today , w3d2 was different it was 2 & 3min runs! wow that was fun.

i was running, not thinking i was tired but rather 'this seems longer than 90secs'. i still have a bit of shin splint but i ice it after the run and it feels fine.

i'm really surprised and happy that i'm doing moderately well on the c25k....i'm very slow but i'm doing it.

even today my husband noticed that i was back from my run sooner than before. so that's good. but then any running has got to be faster than walking.

• Smashville Pro 93 posts since
    Oct 20, 2009
    91. Nov 4, 2009 7:06 AM (in response to beachbum724)

Did W3D1 last night. It was significantly harder than the W1 and W2 workouts.

The one thing I did notice was that since the workout ends on a walk, my iPod app goes from "Walk" to "Cool down" instead of going straight to "Cool down" from the last run. Of course, since I'm not in top shape...they're kind of the same thing to me.

Run, Noob! Run! - My Blog.

Follow me on Twitter: @RunNoobRun

C25K Week: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

• AnnieCPhils Amateur 21 posts since
    Oct 15, 2009
    92. Nov 4, 2009 7:11 AM (in response to Smashville)

Hi everyone,  it seems like most of us are off to a good start with Week 3.  I haven't done W3D1 yet as I'm resting my shins and hoping that helps.  I'm taking the advice of my aunt, an avid runner, who told me NOT to push through the pain and just take a few days off to ice my legs and strengthen them.  They are feeling better every day, and while its frustrating to be a few days behind schedule, I know it will pay off in the long run by not worsening my injury.  I'll probably do a light run either later today or tomorrow, a repeat from W2, then start W3 the following day or on Monday.

Go Phillies!!!

• rcktgirl05 Pro 83 posts since
    Jan 25, 2008
    93. Nov 4, 2009 8:53 AM (in response to AnnieCPhils)

I did W3D3 this morning and I was careful to stretch a lot more. Also, I paused my Nike+ after the 5 min warmup walk and stretched some more.  I feel some ache in the knees but I'm thinking that I'll use ice and keep stretching throughout the day.  The other two days of Week 3 I felt great and I ran a little longer than 3 minutes on the final leg, but not this morning! I was begging for the ding-dong in my podcast!!  I know I said I was worried about week three before I started and I ended up being fine, so I'm not going to say that I'm worried about week 4.  I already ran 4 minutes during W3D2 so I think I should be ok.

I can definitely see the improvement in my endurance since starting this.  When I'm playing hockey now, I go all out during my shift (like always) and I'm very tired when I come back to the bench, but the thing that's changing is my recovery. I'm more or less back to my normal heart rate after 2 minutes and ready for my next shift. Also after the games are done, I'm not sitting in the locker room feeling like I'm going to die!  By the time I get back to my car, I feel like I could do something else.  This is very good news   And speaking of heart rate, I checked my BP in the grocery store a couple days ago and my pulse was 52!?!  Are those things really accurate?  I guess so because even when I use my watch it's really low like that... under 60.  That kind of motivation is hard to put in a chart, but it is so worth it!

Every truly great accomplishment is at first impossible.

Completed C25K 12-19-09

CTCA 5k Feb '10... 39:45

Completed C25K (again) June 2011

Tinkerbell Half Marathon Jan '12... 2:53 PR! (Every first is a PR right?)

Litchfield Park Friends of Rec 10K Mar '12 1:09:25 PR!?

Upcoming:

Peoria Pioneer Days 5k 4/14/12

Pat's Run 4.2 Mile benefitting Pat Tillman Foundation 4/21/12

• Peaches1975 Expert 79 posts since
    Aug 12, 2008
    95. Nov 4, 2009 4:10 PM (in response to beachbum724)

What a day!  First I did some more unboxing/moving in/cleaning up this dump routine since I felt motivated enough to get some of it done (no joke, this place was HORRIBLE when I moved in but cheap!).  Finally I took a break and scoured the internet for jobs as a break (mentally it isn't though), then did my squats, pusj-ups, and sit-ups.  I'm beginning to fail at both squats and push-ups, which is concerning.  Now I have been REALLY focusing on the posterior chain (gluts, hamstrings, etc.) in the squats and on keeping my elbows in more than ever in push-ups, which may be why I can't advance to more and more reps as easily.  So, I may just need to do another exertion test doing better form and go from there.  That would probably be better than giving up altogether on my strength training.  I'll see how I feel Friday!

My W2D2 run after strength training went pretty well, despite having a hard time with the strength training beforehand.  I made a point to eat a few cookies (140 cals) before my run, since I knew I was facing another increase.  So, yay me, I survived seven 3 min runs and a 2 min run to finish!  Tonight I'm having pasta with cheese as a side for a treat...not a bad idea since today was the first time I've had the ammonia smell and I was urinating pale yellow before and after the run.  Sorry for the TMI, just explaining that I know it wasn't a dehydration factor with my run today and ending up smelling like ammonia.

beachbum:  Yay on getting through that run, I knew you could do it!  Also how cool is that that a cosmetic sponge could fix your problem?  WTG!

rcktgirl:  Did the stretch after a warm up help?  I know it does for me, I can't stretch cold. I'll just hurt myself!  LOL!  Oh, and when I did this more regularly, yes I definately noticed my pulse, breathing rate, and BP lower.  They would also get up to speed more quickly, if that makes sense.  My body got better at being active and getting what it needed be it blood, air, and etc.

Annie:  There is NO shame in backing off a potentially serious injury.  I once tried to run through the pain with plantar fasciitis, and I had a bad case at the time, and after weeks of rest it was still screaming.  All because I wouldn't back off.  Lesson learned:  listen to your body.  A few days off vs. trying to come back after a more painful injury a month later...I'll park it for a few days instead!

smashbox:  Don't worry about the differences in the walks.  If at some point you can get more of a power walk going during your breaks, great!  If not, don't sweat it and just get your running times down.  That's the point in the walking breaks anyway, a break!

Teresa:  Don't sweat speed.  I'm not fast either.  After I switched from time to distance running earlier this year (before a quit running like a goof) I noticed that as I increased my long runs, my shorter runs could and were being done in less time.  And it makes sense!  If you only had to run 60 seconds now, how fast could you do it?  Compared to your runs when you are increasing the time?

april:  Welcome and what an inspiration!  As I mentioned to Teresa, don't sweat speed.  You still use your muscles differently during a very slow run than you would a casual walk, right?  Just getting to 30 minutes running at any speed will be a victory!

Keep on running everybody!  We'll get there!

Jan 25, 2008
    96. Nov 5, 2009 9:55 AM (in response to Peaches1975)

The extra stretching definitely helped, but I also realized that when I was in my local sports store the other day I had picked up some heel cup cushioning support things.  It occurred to me as I was putting my shoes on to go run that might have contributed to the pain because I already have super stability shoes (New Balance WR1224) and the extra support could have been throwing things out of wack.  I did W3D3 without the heel cups and with the extra stretching, so one or both of those things helped!  I don't have any pain today whereas before it was pretty painful the day after.

Completed C25K 12-19-09

Upcoming:

Oct 20, 2009
    97. Nov 5, 2009 12:13 PM (in response to Peaches1975)

Peaches, I know you didn't mean to call me "smashbox"

Aug 12, 2008
    98. Nov 5, 2009 4:48 PM (in response to Smashville)

<smacks forehead with hand>

smashville, I'm sorry!  I don't know WHERE I came up with that one!  Gah...

• jenma1973 Amateur 24 posts since
    Nov 4, 2009
    99. Nov 5, 2009 6:13 PM (in response to beachbum724)

Hi there. I started on Monday, October 19th as well. I'm finishing week 3 tomorrow. I'm curious what speeds people are running at. I started at 3.5 and this week I have been doing 3.8 on the treadmill. I'm hoping to increase in small increments each week. So far, so good. Like you, BeachBum, this is my second attempt at being a runner. I ran a 5k two years ago and then quit for a bunch of lame reasons.

I'm aiming for a 5k on December 20th! And this time, it's only the first of many!

• aprillilly Expert 53 posts since
    Oct 30, 2009
    100. Nov 5, 2009 9:05 PM (in response to jenma1973)

jenma: I am working on W5 D3 tomorrow. I am also running at 3.8 on the treadmill. I like to use the treadmill because there is little guesswork and you can easily control going up in small increments.

Everyone seems to feel that the speed will increas over time..and I am going to believe it.

Good luck

aprillilly
    Oct 20, 2009
    101. Nov 6, 2009 7:06 AM (in response to aprillilly)

Finished W3D2 last night. Good lord, the first time I ran through the 3 minutes, it was brutal and I got very dejected.

The second time however, I wanted to prove to myself that I had something left (in other words, proving I can do next week)...and ran it out for an extra 30 seconds or so.

I have my first mid-program 5k tomorrow...I have my run strategy all planned out...basically, just extending W3D3 until I cross the line (which will probably mean two more 3 minute runs).

Jan 25, 2008
    102. Nov 6, 2009 10:34 AM (in response to jenma1973)

I hate running on a treadmill, I find it torturous and so incredibly boring that I'm dying to stop after a few minutes.  Plus, I convince myself that I am saving a ton of money on a gym membership   I have been running around my neighborhood in the early mornings and since I got my Nike+ all hooked up and working, it told me the first time (W3D2) that I was doing an 11 min pace during the running intervals. I'm assuming that means 11minutes per mile which means 5.45 mph?  The second time I used it (W3D3) I was running a 10:32 pace (about 5.7 mph) ... which could explain why I was not able to go on past 3 minutes at the end like I did on Day 1 and Day 2!  One of my goals is to be able to run a mile without stopping in under 10 minutes.  Doesn't matter much too much right now anyway since I'm out there moving, that's a great start!

I think the Nike+ is going to be invaluable in helping reach my pace goals, but as others have said before get the endurance then worry about the speed!  I can't say enough about it because it also calculates how many calories I burned based on my known workout and weight, which is cool.  I don't have to estimate by some chart.  I'm such a gadget person anyway, so it might not be so exciting for everyone else.  Also, after W3D2 was done, Lance Armstrong came on and congratulated me on my longest workout yet (out of two!)

Completed C25K 12-19-09

Upcoming:

Aug 12, 2008
    103. Nov 6, 2009 1:35 PM (in response to beachbum724)

I love outdoor running, and I love my little 2/10ths mile long driveway so I can run on dirt.  But I don't love snakes.  And today I almost stepped on not one but TWO dead ones.  They weren't big and they were indeed singing with the choir invisible, but I don't dig snakes on my running path.  So I've got some figuring to do, and tomorrow morning is W2D4.  I'll be out driving around snooping for a place to run, wish me luck!

I did get W2D3 out of the way, and in good form.  Well, except for the screams and awkard leaps in the air as I almost landed on snakes!  Going longer but fewer sets is really paying off.  Today instead of the prescribed sets and reps of squats, push-ups, and sit-ups I did an exertion test with my improved form.  It wasn't a great number that I busted out, but I also know I'm better off doing them correctly.  I needed to just get in there and do them in lousy form even just to get some starting strength.  Now I feel I can do it more honestly.  It's kind of a relief in a way!

WTG everybody on your runs and signing up for races!  I've never done a race, but they sound like fun!  Good luck Smashville! And we'll be wantin' details when you get back!

Oct 20, 2009
    104. Nov 6, 2009 2:01 PM (in response to Peaches1975)

Peaches, I know the snake feeling. I am deathly afraid of snakes...and I mean deathly afraid.

I was once walking along down the street...when I noticed a dead one sitting by the side of the road...I've never been back down that street.

I wouldn't open the back of the P encyclopedia when I was little, because there was a huge python in the back.

I love sushi, but refuse to eat anything remotely eel like because of the vague similarities to snakes.

For the above reasons, I will never be a trail runner.

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...