Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

67772 Views 525 Replies Latest reply: Sep 29, 2012 11:04 PM by Couch2Trackula Go to original post 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 36 Previous Next
  • k9178 Pro 92 posts since
    Oct 14, 2009

After a really busy week and a busy weekend,  I was able to run week 6, day 2 today.  It was 2 days behind schedule, but I did it.  It was pretty challenging.  I just have to keep plodding along.  I am a bit scared that this was the last of the intervals for me, and it is all running, all the time now.  Wow!    I got a call tonight from a fit friend of mine who was asking me about the program.  She is a walker, and told me that she could never run.  That is what I thought 6 weeks ago.  It makes me feel good to see how far I have come.

Karen - I know you are going to do great tomorrow.  Just remember to go as slow as you need to, and then to slow down more if necessary.

Jess -  You run so fast!  That is incredible.  I can barely put in a 13 minute/mile time.  I am usually slower than that.  I am not worried abut time right now.  I am just concentrating on learning that I can run.  I don't want it to be so hard that  I will give up.  I don't have the pressure of a 5K yet.  I am attending a 5k Walk on Sunday, and I figure I will run part of that to see how it goes.  I may do one on Thanksgiving or in early December, but since I am still so slow, I would rather work on getting it done before signing up for a race.

Wet Sneakers and Drinkup - Great job on your runs.  I hope this is a great week for you both.

Kendra

Started C25K 10/1/09 C25K Graduate 12/12/09

I started out not being a runner, but now I can say I really enjoy it. I use the Jeff Galloway method.

Miraclebabies.org 5K 11/15/09 43:17

St. Patricks Day 10K 3/17/12 1:30:28

http://beachbodycoach.com/kwilli9178

• deniden Amateur 24 posts since
    Sep 29, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    286. Nov 9, 2009 5:33 AM (in response to k9178)
    Finished W6D2

I finished W6D2 last night. Since I started Week 6, I've been running for distance instead of time. During W6D1, I was so tired by the 3/4 mi that I wanted to cry, but I finished. I really pushed myself. Last night, it didn't seem as difficult, but at the end of each mile I was tired. Tomorrow is over 2 miles - ahhh!

-----

Denielle

started 1st C25K on 09/28/09, completed program

re-started C25K on 10/10/11 at W4D1

• LibbyColorado Expert 53 posts since
    Oct 1, 2009
    287. Nov 9, 2009 7:17 AM (in response to deniden)
    Re: Finished W6D2

I am amazed at those of you who are running over 2 miles -- I must be running very, very slowly. We completed W7D1 last night at the park where our race takes place on Thanksgiving. It was AGONIZING. Worst run ever...but also the longest. Not counting walking or cool down, we made it 1.7 miles, up from 1.5 miles last Friday. It hurt. The whole way. And it was discouraging because so many people just flew past us. I kept telling myself, "Who cares? I'm finishing this." 7 weeks ago, I couldn't run for more than a minute at a time, and last night, I ran for 25 minutes.

I didn't like the podcast for W7, though -- Bobby only told me when I was halfway done and when I had a minute left. That drove me crazy. I'll listen to the W6 podcast for the rest of this week just to know how much time I have left -- or at least, how much I've done.

The important thing to remember, though, is that we're doing it. I don't care if I come in last place on Thanksgiving. If I can run all 4 miles (yes, 4 miles, not a 5K!), I will be so incredibly thrilled. So I have to keep pushing along.

It's interesting to me that a run can be amazing (like Friday's -- we could have kept going for another 10 minutes, probably) and then so agonizing like last night's. I guess that's the nature of the beast.

Keep running, y'all.

http://pinkandimperfect.blogspot.com

We're crazy and in love. Can we do these 101 things?

• deniden Amateur 24 posts since
    Sep 29, 2009
    288. Nov 9, 2009 7:23 AM (in response to LibbyColorado)

I know what you mean about the difference in the runs. Some days I feel like I could run forever and the other days I want to cry! LOL.

-----

Denielle

started 1st C25K on 09/28/09, completed program

re-started C25K on 10/10/11 at W4D1

• PeeWeeHerman Amateur 21 posts since
    Oct 7, 2009
    289. Nov 9, 2009 9:22 AM (in response to Tika417)
    Oh the sweat... I'm a stanky one!!!

It's a chilly morning and I'm covered with sweat

Two days ago I did 6/6/6/8/3/1 for a total of 30 minutes.  I'm still moving in the right direction!!!  I've been reading how all of you are doing the 20 minute run so I compared the "Cool Running" program that I'm doing with the "Couch25k" and chuckled to myself... there's no way I'm ready for 20 minutes but other than that, I'm pretty much on track.

So this morning, I started with the intention of moving up to 8 minute times 3 intervals with the addition of one three minute run at the end.  As I got towards the end of the first 8 minutes, I said... I think I can make it longer and kept going.  I did the full 20 minutes!!!  Unbelieveable!!! 

If you had asked me if I could even possibly do this 6 weeks ago, I would've said positively NO.  I do have to fess up that it was the slowest 20 minute run out there ever in the world.  I may only have covered one mile, but it was MY ONE MILE, eh?  I didn't stop once, not even once.  He He He He.  Yep. 

• k9178 Pro 92 posts since
    Oct 14, 2009
    290. Nov 9, 2009 9:49 AM (in response to LibbyColorado)

Libby,

I am with you on the distance thing.  I figure, I just need to run for time.  I am so impressed by the distance runners in the group.  There is no way I could run a mile in 10 minutes.  I would be lucky if I could run it in 13.  I remember as a kid, my mile times were around 13 minutes.  Once I did a run at 10 minutes.  It is something to shoot for later.  The most important thing to me is that I am doing it.  I do not want to get discouraged.  I was on Week 6, day 2 last night, and the intervals felt really hard.  The 10 minute runs were a major push for some reason, but I think back to how hard running for 30 seconds was 6 weeks ago, and I just cheer.

Kudos to everyone for continuing on in this journey.  I am excited to see how we do from here on out.

Kendra

Started C25K 10/1/09 C25K Graduate 12/12/09

I started out not being a runner, but now I can say I really enjoy it. I use the Jeff Galloway method.

Miraclebabies.org 5K 11/15/09 43:17

St. Patricks Day 10K 3/17/12 1:30:28

http://beachbodycoach.com/kwilli9178

• DGail Rookie 6 posts since
    Oct 20, 2009
    291. Nov 9, 2009 10:39 AM (in response to Tika417)
    Re: Starting C25k tomorrow 9/29. Anyone want to Join?

Did wk6d3 this morning. I've started running every other day rather than 3 days/week which left a two day gap each week. By doing this it works out where wk9d3 is Thanksgiving Day-Turkey Trot. Seemed like a good way to 'graduate'. It was hard this morning but at no point did it seem impossible. I haven't felt that 'impossibility' since the second week. Every now and then I realize I'm actually running and it seems impossible but that's always after the fact, not while it's going on. Today I started thinking about how happy my heart must be that I'm finally doing something good for it...imagined it dancing in my chest while I journeyed on. By the end of the run I had this whole dialog going with my physical and emotional heart where we expressed all sorts of gratitude toward each other.

A few posts back someone mentioned no weight loss. I haven't lost any either but I am starting to see the shape of my body shift. I'm about 15 lbs overweight and have been for years. My legs and butt are lifting and feeling firmer so things are happening.

Keep the stories/updates coming. They are all so inspiring-especially those of you who are ahead of me

Happy running,

Donna

• drinkup Amateur 35 posts since
    Oct 6, 2009
    292. Nov 9, 2009 11:28 AM (in response to Tika417)
    Re: Starting C25k tomorrow 9/29. Anyone want to Join?

Hello! I had been so excited to do w6d1 all weekend, I finally did it today. My whole morning was crazy, my mind wasnt really ready to run. But I did it anyways and I was so tired lol. Its like a heatwave in Maine to, so I was extra hot.  I havent lost a pound, but I think I gain some. Im not complaining, with halloween I ate tons of chocolate.. THankfully I ate it all and have no more left in my house

I've always heard muscle weighs more then fat ( never really thought about it), but really a pound is always a pound. But I guess, a pound of muscle takes up less space then a pound of fat. So thats the reason for clothes fitting better. My clothes really fit much better. I just hate my scale.. I think its broken

Wed I will be doing d2.

I run very slow. My 20 minutes came out to be 1.4 miles. My mile was 14.30. I slowed down even more towards the end. Today I did .4 in 5 minutes, but I pushed myself. THe 8 and last 5 minutes I had to drop it back down to about a 4.2 speed.

I will like to try running outside. But by the time my husband gets home its dark....

Keep up the great work!!

D

• drinkup Amateur 35 posts since
    Oct 6, 2009
    293. Nov 9, 2009 11:30 AM (in response to PeeWeeHerman)
    Re: Oh the sweat... I'm a stanky one!!!

Peewee Great job on doing 20 minutes!!!!

• Sdnoles1 Amateur 10 posts since
    Oct 26, 2008
    294. Nov 9, 2009 4:14 PM (in response to drinkup)
    Re: Oh the sweat... I'm a stanky one!!!

Completed W5D1 today...looks like most of you have completed week 5 and I am encouraged by all to the comments about the 20 minute run.  The run intervals went well today.  I seem to run better in the morning than in the afternoon/evening.  I have not figured out what is making the difference yet.  I am thinking it could be difference in fuel to my muscles as well as the difference in temperature.  I am in Florida so we are having cool mornings 60 and warm days 80's.  high humidity most of the time.  Anyone have any suggestions for what they like to fuel up on before they run that's quick.  My one afternoon run is about 30 min after lunch and that seems to be when I am most sluggish.  Last week I just had a protein shake with a banana and that seemed to work well for me.  I may try that again this week and see if that is making the difference.  Any tips are appreciated!  Keep going everyone...you're all looking good!!!:)

• fatladyrunning Amateur 9 posts since
    Nov 3, 2009

I have been at the point of running 2.5 to 3 miles five to six days a week for the last three weeks or so, and have been experiencing lower back pain.  Is anyone else having this problem?  I don't know if it is because of my weight, my stride, or the fact that I am doing a lot of running on concrete.  I am wearing cushy shoes (Nike Pegasus) and an excellent bra (Enell), so I don't think either of those are the issue.  Thanks.

• disneygal2 Legend 455 posts since
    Sep 30, 2009

Hi everyone!   Geez it was so annoying with no one being able to post all weekend.   I wanted to hear everyones updates!!

Kendra... Great job finishing week 6 day 2.  I can think of a couple reasons why those 10 minute intervals are hard even after finishing our 20 minute run.  Our mind knows we get to stop in just 10 minutes so it starts to tell us we are tired sooner.   Its a mental thing,  LOL.  When we knew we had to run 20 minutes we didn't dare let ourselves feel like stopping at only 4 or 5 minutes!   Also our bodies are in recovery from running 20 minutes for the first time!   But you did it!!   Way to go!   Speed absolutely does NOT matter at all right now.  We all have different start points and all that matters is each individuals personal  progression.

Deniden.. Way to go finishing WK 6 day 2.  Can't wait to hear how the 25 minute run goes.  You ARE a runner now!

Libby.. Don't be discouraged by the speedsters... they have probably been doing this for a long time.   I have people blaze by me all the time and I'm just happy if I can keep my "little engine that could" pace steady.   Every thing I've read states that as our time & distances increase speed will as well.  I know what you mean about how one run feels good, than the next one can be such a struggle.  I do think that is because our bodies are in recovery from the good run.  But even the runs that feel like a struggle are making our bodies so much more used to this!

Pee Wee... I love your post!   Isn't it incredible how your body really was ready to run 20 minutes!!  All the workouts we do prepare our bodies to know that it can actually do more!   GREAT JOB!

Donna.. See ya in week 7.  I love your attitude about how your making the heart happy!!  This is so good for us both physically and mentally.

Drink up.. well done with your wk 6 work out.  moving right along!

Fat lady running... A couple of thoughts about your back pain.  You say you are running 5-6 days a week.  That is kind of a lot.  Maybe one extra rest day with cross training instead of running would help.  Also check your posture.  I do a lot of hiking and I find myself slumping over sometimes going up hill.  That always results in back pain for me.  Check that you are keeping your shoulders up!!   You are doing great!

Sdnoles.. I usually can't get to my running till later in the afternoon,  but I too find that if I'm able to do morning I am at my best.  For me if I run in the morning just a bowl of instant oatmeal is good for me.  If I go after lunch I really try to wait an hour before running.   They say for a 5k our bodies shouldn't require much if any extra nutrition.  Our reserves should be more than sufficient to give us energy for that.  I guess eating some protien within an hour after is supposed to be very good for feeding any stressed areas if that makes sense..

Here's my latest update.   I did my WK7 Day 1... I jogged my 3 mile course in 35:05.. one minute slower than I did it last Friday morning.  I was pleased though as I had tennis league this morning and also ate a bit too much before my run.  Also I am working on just jogging my regular pace right now while I get used to this 30 minutes of running.  I just want to maintain this base and let my body get used to it for the next few weeks.   As far as my being able to cover the 3 mile distance that is because before I started this program I was hiking 4+ times a week this summer.  Many were distance hikes where I tried to walk at a steady quick pace with my group.  My legs were strong before I started the C25k.. and the hill climbing part has helped with the cardio.  So we all start from different bases and the only time/distance to pay attention to is your own.    Great job everyone!!

Only 16 days till Thanksgiving Day 5 K~    Gobble Gobble,  ready to hobble?

Jess

PRAISE GOD!!!

Couch to 5 K Graduation Day November 26, 2009

Dana Hills Turkey Trot  Thanksgiving Day 2009 5 K....  Time 32:22  MY FIRST 5k

Jan 9 Irvine 5k Time 32:52

Feb 7 Super Bowl 10k  1:08:31  MY FIRST 10K

September 5 2010  DISNEYLAND HALF MARATHON:  2:41:00

• WetSneakers Expert 40 posts since
    Oct 5, 2009

Just got back from finishing W6D2. Normally I run with my partner, but she had a class tonight (learning how to make tasty Thai food!), so I was on my own for the run. In some ways it was easier because I wasn't trying to match her pace. I just kind of ran. I slowed down when my legs felt weird and speeded up when it felt right. I think I prefer the company though. It's nice to have the "look what we just did" conversation after each run. It's some of the best encouragement.

I'm a little concerned about W6D3 and the first 25 minute run, but I  just have to believe in the power of my own stubbornness to get through it like I have all the other runs. Go Team Stubborn!

• catsrcul Pro 111 posts since
    Sep 12, 2009
    Good job running solo Wet Sneakers!
    Fatladyrunning I agree with disneygal. Everything I've read says that you ought to have some recovery time. From what I understand we should not run daily. What is encouraged is some other exercise such as bicycling, swimming, tennis, etc.
    Thanks to everyone for the encouragement! The 20 minute run went well. I had as much stamina the 20 minute as I did after the first minute. Joy!

~Karen~

Galatians 6:9 And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.

5K 11/27/09          43:16  Pace 13:56

5K  1/9/10             41:55   Pace 13:30
    5K  3/20/10           38:56  Pace 12:32

Lost 16 lbs. since May 30, 2009. Don't want to ever find it again! Would like to lose 5 more pounds.

Started Couch 25K 9/11/09 Repeated many weeks due to asthma symptoms

Completed C25K 12/14/09

http://bumpoffalog.blogspot.com

• disneygal2 Legend 455 posts since
    Sep 30, 2009

Wet Sneakers!   Great Job.  Not only are you teamstubborn you are can also be called,  "NO EXCUSES"   Way to get out there and do your workout with or without partner.  You will rock that 25 minute run!      

Karen,   You are inspiring!   Way to complete your 20 minutes with endurance!       Jess

PRAISE GOD!!!

Couch to 5 K Graduation Day November 26, 2009

Dana Hills Turkey Trot  Thanksgiving Day 2009 5 K....  Time 32:22  MY FIRST 5k

Jan 9 Irvine 5k Time 32:52

Feb 7 Super Bowl 10k  1:08:31  MY FIRST 10K

September 5 2010  DISNEYLAND HALF MARATHON:  2:41:00

1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 36 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...