Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

10329 Views 104 Replies Latest reply: Oct 15, 2012 3:59 PM by Ogr44 RSS 1 2 3 ... 7 Previous Next
GoRunIrish Pro 110 posts since
Sep 8, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 9, 2009 8:44 AM

200+ Nov 9th-Nov 15th

Hello and welcome to another week of glorious love and support for our fluffy runners!!

We ask questions, share info and cheer each other on... 

Got a weight problem and wanna change it?? Well so do we... please chime in... always room for more!!

Started C25K 09/07/09

Dinosaur Dash 5K 11/01/09 40:12

Turkey Trot 5K 11/26/09 44:02

Buffalo Run 02/27/10

• AnthonyJTa Amateur 30 posts since
    Aug 24, 2009
    2. Nov 9, 2009 9:55 AM (in response to GoRunIrish)
    Re: 200+ Nov 9th-Nov 15th

I actually just started Weight Watchers last Thursday.... hoping to get rid of the last 30 lbs for 100lbs total loss. It's tough now that I've calulated all my favorite pre/post run foods into WW Points (Clifs Bars, Muscle Milk, Clif Shot Blocks, etc)... Any runners doing WW, got any tips?

Sidenote, I got a 7 mile run in on Saturday, passes my previous high of 6 miles! Respect the distance!! hehe

• mngreeneyes Pro 72 posts since
    Sep 25, 2009
    4. Nov 9, 2009 10:14 AM (in response to AnthonyJTa)

I was on WW a few years ago.  I know that you get extra points for activity or at least we did back then.  That helps some with those pre/post run items.  Also, make sure that you eat all your points because your body will rebel if you are running and not eating enough.  You can actually plateau/gain from not eating enough.

pam

The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start!  John Bingham

Run when you can,

Walk when you have to,

Crawl if you must--

Just never give up....  Dean Karnazes

Aug 24, 2009
    5. Nov 9, 2009 11:15 AM (in response to GoRunIrish)

Thanks! I considered Nutrisystem, but their programs + food looked pretty pricey. WW Online is costing me $16/mo. I've done well in regards to portions.... Like I mentioned, I'd dropped about 70 lbs since Christmas... just tracking my calorie intake, exercising, etc. I just felt like I needed a new program to follow. I feel like I've made quite the lifestyle change so far, so hopefully something formal like WW will help me lose that last bit + maintain. I've even been considering a vegetarian lifestyle again.

I was pretty shocked myself on Saturday... I packed my bag with a change of clothes, a Clif Bar & some Shot Blocks, water, and my iPod and left my house and ran through 2 towns to get to my parents house for a visit. I really expected to give in and call someone to pick me up.. haha. 1 hour and 20 minutes and I was there! I wasn't concerned about pace (I adjusted uphill climbs, etc), but more so the distance. It'd be nice to get my endurance up there to start training for a marathon. So I'm headed for 5 mile race on Thanksgiving Day pretty confident. Now I just need to find some nice trails!!

Aug 24, 2009
    6. Nov 9, 2009 11:42 AM (in response to mngreeneyes)

..yeah, the "For Men/Momentum program online gives me my daily budget, plus an additional 35 points per week incase I go over my daily budget, etc. They say use them as a "free meal" or spread them out throughout the week... which I'll probably do the latter. In my normal diet experience- I noticed I tended to feel like rubbish after splurging on a "free meal"

• Jasmine1972 Legend 927 posts since
    Sep 24, 2009
    7. Nov 9, 2009 4:53 PM (in response to GoRunIrish)

Before I get started, I'd like to ask everyone "Where do you live?".  It looks like Donna is in Louisville KY, and Smashville lives near Nashville TN.  I'm in N. Alabama and maybe someday I can run in the same race with some of y'all. Anyway, onward to the discussions:

Donna- Don't you just love fall days?  Not to cold and not too hot.  Just right for an energetic run.

Lori- Will your doctor let you work out on an elliptical or recumbant bike, or are you just going to get stuck doing upper body weight training?

Smashville- Sounds like your 5K was torture. I am no where trained to do hills.  All my runs so far are flat or a slight incline at worse.  I've got a hill near my house to think about training on, but to do a whole race with hills - Yek!

WetSneakers- I am so impressed that you did your workout after such a hard day of work.

Fluffy- thanks for the Graduation Hat! Right now I'm just trying to improve my 5K times, and throw in a longer run once a week.  I've got a 5K 12/5 and the option of a Turkey Trot in a few weeks.  Just trying to build some mileage now, and crosstraining, to continue my weight loss.  With your daughters outside activities- do you drop her off or stay for practice at all?  If you stay, maybe you can scope out a place to do short distances or sprints & speed training while you wait. Then you won't waste time, and get some training out of the way.

ChubGrl- I wish I could handle the Elliptical for so long.  I use it as an alternate to running on a run "down" day, when I'm at the gym, but I just don't go fast or very inclined yet.

Irish- What a great time for your 5K! Thanks for starting the log this week.

I've been visiting Mom in Calif since Thurs, but I'll be back home in 3 days.  I've done 3 & 3.6 mi runs just to get out there and "Do It".  Plus I've been getting the "senior" discount when I swim at the City Pool. But I haven't done any other cross-training.  Still hoping to break even or lose a lb or too. I've limited access to the Internet, so I'll yack at you after I get home. For all newbies, and other friends - Have a great week!

Jo Ann C

Started Walking 7/15/09 Weight = 265#; C25K Grad 11/6/09

8/30/09 5K (62:42) 262# 10/2/10 5K (37:44) 206# 3/26/11 5K (36:42) PR 202#

6/19/10 10K (83:47) 208# 3/6/11 UAH 10K (79:18) 200#

6/27/10 IronGirl, Atlanta Tri S 1/3m/B 18m/R 3m (2:42:10) 207#; 5/15/11 - (2:34:08 200)#

9/25/10 Women's HM, Nashville (3:27:10) 209#, 11/13/10 Huntsville HM (3:17:27) 203#

2/13/11 Mercedes HM, B'ham (3:02:02) 203#; 3/19/11 Rocket 10mi (2:13:37) PR

4/30/11 RnR HM Nashville (3:10:12); 5/15/11 5/30/11 Cotton Row 10K (84:36) ;

6/11/11 Mt. Mania 15K (2:17:12); 7/16/11 Wet Dog Tri (98:56);

8/13/11 Mtn Lakes Tri; (2:13:32); 8/28 Rocketman Oly Tri; 9/10 Frantic Frog Tri (1:52:35)

9/24/11 Womens HM (2:54:28) 195# PR; 10/1 Toray 5K (35:35 PR);

10/15/11 Liz Hurley 5K (36:24); 10/22 Book-it 10K (74:51 PR) 197#;
    11/12/11 Huntsville HM - Target 2:50

• petlady Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 9, 2009
    8. Nov 9, 2009 5:25 PM (in response to GoRunIrish)

Hi everyone. I just joined and starting the C25K. W1D1 tomorrow. have no idea how it'll go, no idea why I even want to run - but I do! Would love any advice for a brand new runner.

Carole

London Ontario Canada

Aug 24, 2009
    9. Nov 9, 2009 7:08 PM (in response to petlady)

Do your best, and forget the rest! Don't focus on a blistering pace... set a tone that's comfortable for you. That 20 minute run will sneak up on you in no time, then you'll be glad you've taken the first 4 weeks to find a nice pace that suits you without discomfort.

• WetSneakers Expert 40 posts since
    Oct 5, 2009
    10. Nov 9, 2009 8:19 PM (in response to Jasmine1972)

Hey Jo Ann, Seattle in this corner.

I finished W6D2 tonight and it wasn't too bad. I wasn't breaking any land speed records, but it was comfortable and my breathing felt good. I'm a little concerned about D3 and the 25 minute run, but I've stubborned through all the others so far. I assume I'll be able to handle this too.

On a side note, the scale finally responded to the increase in activity. I got on this morning and found that I'd lost three and a half pounds. This is the first loss since starting C25K. Hell, I actually gained a pound and a half a couple of weeks ago. Right now I'm at 202#, down from my lifetime high a year and a half ago of 228#. I don't have a number goal, so much as to feel healthier and more comfortable in my clothes. I do like it when the numbers move down though.

Shell

• TransplantedPotato Expert 52 posts since
    Sep 6, 2009
    11. Nov 9, 2009 8:53 PM (in response to GoRunIrish)

Hey all! Sorry about the radio silence on this end...I spent the weekend house/dog/chicken-sitting. I didn't get my run on Friday in, but I did take TONS of walks with a very energetic terrier! I'm hoping to get back on track this week, especially since I feel work, school, and general tiredness really threatening to derail me right about now.

Hope everyone has a great week...I know it'll be busy for me, but I'm going to push through!

We are always running for the thrill of it thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill searching for the thrill of it
    On and on and on we are calling out and out again
    Never looking down I’m just in awe of what’s in front of me

-"Walking on a Dream", Empire of the Sun

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Graduated C25k: 10/28/09

One Hour Runner: Week 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Courage, trust, and relentless forward motion.

• DanceWalkRunPenguin Pro 84 posts since
    Oct 12, 2009
    12. Nov 9, 2009 9:09 PM (in response to AnthonyJTa)

Hey, Anthony -- in addition to the weekly extra points you get on WW, do look for what your running level will do to your daily calculations, and be sure to adjust up by eating the Activity Points.  (Presuming they still do that). With this much exercise you'll need some more calories. Activity Points = more calories expended than a food point equals, so you still come out ahead if you eat them.

I had a sick kid home today, and I'm fighting off being sick myself. Didn't run. I did do W3D3 yesterday, and it was tough. Not a good run for me.

~~~~~Newbie Jogger~~~~~~~

Regular Walker

Never-before Runner

On injured list. Switching to swimming until leg muscles are healed.

• SeeFluffyRun Legend 251 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    13. Nov 9, 2009 9:27 PM (in response to DanceWalkRunPenguin)

HI everyone! My run on Saturday, which was suppose to be the MS 5K run, ended up being a one mile walk.  My ankle felt a little off, everyone else,except the teenagers were doing the walk...(2 have MS and the rest of us...well it was a fun time to get together.)  I am not crushed...so hey if you are worried about finishing a 5K...just think about me...I just did a mile and I am okay with it.  THere is no turkey trot in my area!?!?!?!?!  I am in Seabrook, TX.  Someone asked that question but I forgot who it was.

Jasmine  On Mondays I am going to take her and yes I have found a place to run...sorta scary because it is dark and they don't have many lamp posts.  On Tuesday, I can run at home because another mother does the carpool. On Wednesdays I pick up the girls and take them to BS..so I can run then.  Thursday, I have Bible Study and Friday I take to swim.  I just really have to sit down and figure out my priorities.  What is important...I will make time for. It is so easy to say, "I can't....", it is almost as if we are blaming someone else or some circumstance for our misfortune. But when we are honest with ourselves and say , "I choose not to..." or "I won't..."  then the blame is on ourselves.

Someone kick me in my rear...when I don't run.  I don't mind...really.  Oh here is  a picture from MS Walk...I am the fluffy one.  LOL  Our team name was "From the Inside Out"  and we wore our shirts inside out.

Iphone 025.JPG

Graduated C25K 08/09/2009

Restarted 04/01/2013

Follow me on my journey: SEEFLUFFYRUN

Twitter: @SeeFluffyRun

Facebook: SeeFluffyRun

Blog: seefluffyrun.blogspot.com

• AFatManRunning Legend 326 posts since
    Sep 14, 2009
    14. Nov 10, 2009 4:36 AM (in response to GoRunIrish)

Hello all.  Life's been a bit crazy on this end.  Mrs. F is fighting a nagging cold, and too much busyness pushed off our run last night.  We also just found out that our plans for thie evening are shot, becuase the high school cross country team is having its annual banquet tonight (which we just learned about--nothing like communicating with the parents ahead of time, eh?). It's getting pretty perturbing to want to run and to not be able to keep the time for running (since we're gone almost an hour now, it's too hard to do regularly in the morning without getting up at 4:50 AM--yech!)..  Our first 5k is coming up on Saturday, too.

A big welcome to all of the new participants on the thread.  You've found a great and encouraging community.

It was my wife's idea--really! Okay, it helps that I need to lose the weight, too.

http://oursecretplan.blogspot.com (FatManRunning - Couch to 5k)

Completed Couch-to-5k - 10/30/09

Chaska Turkey Trot 5k - 11/14/09 (42:13)

Howard Lake Turkey Tagalong 5k - 11/26/09 (42:23)

Sat around like a bum while I finished grad school - 11/27/09 to 6/25/10

Restarted running 6/26/10

City of Festivals 5k - 08/07/10 (40:45) - ran with Mrs. F and four of the kids!

1 2 3 ... 7 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...