Skip navigation

8059 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 23, 2010 2:03 PM by JohnL79 RSS
kmac821 Pro 122 posts since
Oct 13, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 10, 2009 5:57 AM

which hydration belt is best for a marathon trainer?

Hi all, I'm training for a marathon and on my last run I got very thirsty and had to run into the library to get some water. I realize now I need to invest in a hydration belt (with a pouch for my phone, id and cash). There are some that have 4 bottles and others that have 2... does anyone have an opinion on these? Any helpful hints for wearing it too? I want to make sure I am ready for this weekend's 6 mile for a test-run with this belt.

If it helps these are the ones I'm looking at:

2 bottle: http://www.citysports.com/citysports/product.asp?pf_id=117786&path=Shop&path=Running+Equipment&search_handle=QT1SdW5uaW5nIEVxdWlwbWVudH5CPVJ1bm5pbmcgRXF1aXBtZW50fkM9MX5EPTE2fkk9UHJpY2V_Sz00fkw9MX5NPTZ_Tj0yfg&scid=SearchResults&spoffset=2&s_id=0

4 bottle: http://www.citysports.com/citysports/product.asp?pf_id=136804&path=Shop&path=Running+Equipment&search_handle=QT1SdW5uaW5nIEVxdWlwbWVudH5CPVJ1bm5pbmcgRXF1aXBtZW50fkM9MX5EPTE2fkk9UHJpY2V_Sz00fkw9MX5NPTZ_Tj0yfg&scid=SearchResults&spoffset=2&s_id=0

There is also this weird 1 bottle one: http://www.citysports.com/citysports/product.asp?pf_id=136800&path=Shop&path=Running+Equipment&search_handle=QT1SdW5uaW5nIEVxdWlwbWVudH5CPVJ1bm5pbmcgRXF1aXBtZW50fkM9MX5EPTE2fkk9UHJpY2V_Sz00fkw9MX5NPTZ_Tj0yfg&scid=SearchResults&spoffset=2&s_id=0

Thanks guys!

Personal Records:

4/18/10: BAA 5K, Boston, 28/219 division, 858/4329 overall, 24:23, 7:51 pace

9/5/10: Virginia Beach Rock n Roll Half Marathon, 2380/14767, Div: 90/908, Gender: 636/8380, 1:53:14, 8:39 pace
10/17/10: BayState Marathon, 4:09:57, 9:33 pace

• JohnL79 Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 22, 2009

There are a multitude of types and it really depends on what you feel most comfortable with.  Nathan makes a belt as you describe with either 2 or 4 bottles.  I think they even make a version with 6 bottles.  There are also some single bottle models that have a strap that slips over your hand.  My preference is one from Amphipod (www.amphipod.com).  It's a single 20 oz bottle called the Full-Tilt Velocity that fits in a pouch on the belt in the small of your back.  It is very different from the single bottle design you referenced in your note.  You'll have to go to the Amphipod web site to see what I mean but it fits horizontally in the small of your back.  I never wanted to start wearing a hydration belt but have found the design of the Amphipod Velocity to be excellent.  Since it fits nicely in the small of the back it has very little bounce.  After running a little while I totally forget I'm wearing it.  Amphipod makes a number of different models (hand held, multiple bottles, etc.) that also have different storage options for keys, energy gels, cell phones, etc.    The only down side to the Velocity that I've seen is since it only holds 20 oz you may find it doesn't hold enough for the really long runs in warmer weather.  I haven't had that issue yet as I have only done longer runs when the weather is cooler.  However, there is an option to increase the amount of liquid you could carry with this if you need more than the single, 20 oz bottle on some runs.  Amphipod also makes individual bottles in either 8 oz or 10.5 oz sizes.  They are similar in size to the bottles you find on the 2 and 4 bottle Nathan belts.  These additional bottles  can be added on to the Amphipod's hydration belt.  They aren't permanent and can be added or removed depending on the amount of fluid you'll need for your run.  You could have up to 41 oz (the standard 20 oz bottle with the Velocity + 2 additional 10.5 oz bottles added) for a long run and remove the smaller bottles and just have the 20 oz for a shorter run.   Again, I haven't done any really long runs in hot weather yet so the 20 oz has been plenty for me so far but I like having the option.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points