Skip navigation

731 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Nov 16, 2009 8:38 AM by Blunose RSS
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 8, 2009 5:42 PM

Blue Moon 1/2 Marathon & 5K 2009 (Nov 8) Reviews

Share your experiences with the Blue Moon 1/2 Marathon & 5K 2009 (Nov 8) below Back to event details page.

• NeilPaulson Expert 46 posts since
    Sep 28, 2008

I drove from Orlando 2 hours each way for this event.  For their first year it was adequate but nothing special to drive this far for - unless training for a full marathon.

Nice cool day with breeze and shaded pathway.   Mostly flat surfaces but had one ramp over freeway to run up and down.   No entertainment along the way like some half marathons, seemed boring and long.  Water stations were adequate.

Food was good afterwards.    Finishers' medal was small and ordinary, it doubled as a key fob.

This run was supposed to raise money for obesity.  We were given red shoe laces that had some significance for obesity.  Not sure how you raise money for obesity, was it for research or ???  Most of the runners were quite slim.

• TampaBayJ Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 6, 2009

NIce race.  The pinellas county trail is a great trail to race on, with the exception of the overpass.  This was my first 1/2 marathon.  I will definatly run this series again next year.  Tech jerseys are really nice.  Finishers medal was disappointing though (keychain on a ribbon).  Water stations were good as were the refreshments after the race.

• Tommy Brown Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 16, 2008

Great organization for race.  Great water stops.  Very nice and shaded course, except for the last mile that always seems to be directly in the sun.   I like running up and down the overpass.  It is fun.  Somehow the FREE BEER was overlooked this year.  There was FREE BEER at the 2008 race. 

I'll be doing this race for the next 20 years or so though because it rocks.   Great race.  Bring back the booze!!! 

• eblues Amateur 10 posts since
    Apr 12, 2004

Pros:

Very nice course. Great job on the water stops, course directions, and traffic control. Mile markers were highly visible and seemed accurate. Post race food was plentiful. Post race area was roomy and comfortable.

Cons:

Too much of a back-log at the pre-registration packet pick-up table. I waited 25 minutes to get my number. Inadequate bathroom facilities. Wait for 1/2 marathon award ceremony was too long.

• Beckyjo60 Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 17, 2007
    5. Nov 10, 2009 3:36 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Blue Moon 1/2 Marathon & 5K 2009 (Nov 8) Reviews

More massage therapists would have been nice - as the wait was more than an hour.  I thought all the donuts and the significance that this was to raise money for obesity was ironic to say the least; more fruit would have been great. The course was nice.

• Donlasell Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 8, 2007
    6. Nov 10, 2009 4:03 AM (in response to Guest )

It was a good run and I felt it was very well organized.  Opportunities for improvement are:  Add some port-O-lets at registration and it wouldn't hurt to have added a couple at the ends of each loop, possibly near the water stops.  Many men were using the bushes, but I noticed several women in need.  I thought the run down at the finish was a little short and the pathway up to it was fairly curvy.  Not bad for some of us, but those dragging could have used a straighter path.  The food was good, but the donuts made me gag.  It was an anti-obesity run... remember?  Possibly next time replace the donuts (bread dough fried in FAT) with a high grain or a protein bar.

The split of the 5K and 1/2 marathon at the trail was fast and tricky for some of the less experienced.  I noticed at least one 5K'er who had missed the turn and was toughing it out to the finish, I hope she made it!  Next time?  Staggering the start by 5-10 minutes might help.  The marathon runners could go first and would be long gone for a 15 minute delayed start of the 5K.  I would have enjoyed seeing some of the 5K'ers after my run, but they were long gone home by my finish.

It was a GREAT run, beautiful day and it was nice to run on or near my home.  I try to run on the trail several times a week.

• Claudine321 Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 10, 2009
    7. Nov 10, 2009 5:13 AM (in response to Guest )

I thought it was a lovely course, and it was well organized.  I enjoyed the post race gathering.  It was roomy, and you could get to the food and water easily.  I agree that the post race food should have been on the healthier side, i.e. more fruit, low fat muffins, smoothies, etc.  The raffle was fun too. I would definitely run this again.

• JP1983JP Amateur 15 posts since
    Nov 21, 2008
    8. Nov 10, 2009 9:31 AM (in response to Guest )

Awesome run. I ran all the races in the series...started pretty rough but this was definately well run an organized. I ran the Half, set a new PR! I agree with the other comments, should have started the half and 5k at serperate times...there was a little confusion at the begining. No one can hear the race director speak on the loud speaker...I know you were on a megaphone but I couldnt understand a thing. Also, the donuts have to go. I really cant eat after I run that much but if I could, the last thing I would eat after 13.1 is a donut. Doesnt make too much sense to run and eat like garbage, right?

All in all, cool race. I'll do it again next year.

• MFjogger Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 10, 2009
    9. Nov 10, 2009 3:46 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my first half marathon.  Great experience.  Wish the weather had been a little cooler.  Not in your control!  LOL!!  After run snacks were terrible... oranges and gatorade would have been nice.. bagels were hard as a rock.  Better post refreshments next year.  Thanks for a fun run.

• joleeberry Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 11, 2009
    10. Nov 13, 2009 11:34 AM (in response to Guest )

I can't find the race results. I kept my time on my watch but I want to know where I rank with everyone else. I know this sounds silly but I just want to know where I am.

I think that the race was good. The atmosphere was nice. The weather was fantastic. The other racers were extremly nice.

The bad part of the race was that we started a little late b/c the lack of bathrooms and I do not like to run with the croud. The start line was picked up. I was really really irritated by this. We did not get a start time so I do not know what our actual time was for the race. I did keep my time on my watch so I know what it is for myself but it just makes me mad. This was my first 1/2 marathon so I wanted it to be down on the records. Seems silly. I just think that they should have left it down for a little while. We were only a few minutes late. I know that we were not the only ones that were mad.

Other than that I agree with the others. The post race food was not good. The ceremony took too long so we had to leave and not enough bathrooms.

We finished the race though!! Yeah. Now training for a full!!

Can someone let me know where to find the results for the race?

Thank you. 

• Beckyjo60 Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 17, 2007

Try www.coolrunning.com for the results.

• Blunose Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 16, 2009

I came down from Nova Scotia on vacation and decided to take in the run. You won't find me complaining about the heat. It snowed in Nova Scotia the day after we flew down to Florida!I do lots of roadraces around home and I would give this race a positive review. The race pick up kit in Dunedin was very well organized. You had lots of volunteers for the actual race. It was good to see the local police force out in good numbers at road intersections. You are blessed to have the Pinellas Trail for this kind of a run. Not having to deal with traffic is a real bonus... a rarity for road races.

I agree that the length of time to present the awards could have been a bit quicker but it wasn't a hardship waiting around in the warm sunshine. I definitely plan to come back next year. well done.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...