Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

67635 Views 525 Replies Latest reply: Sep 29, 2012 11:04 PM by Couch2Trackula Go to original post 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 36 Previous Next
  • aprillilly Expert 53 posts since
    Oct 30, 2009

Have been vacationing for 4 days. The  day we left for vacation I completed W5 D3. I was nervous about  the 20 minute run. I did it..but very slowly. I haven't run during vacation but we have been walking in NY in Central Park and all around the city. We saw so many runners, especially on the weekend and many doing the Children's Fun Run in Central Park..The kids are so cute running.

Hope I can do the W6D1 tomorrow..after so many days of not working in the program.

Any words of inspiration for the W6D3? I am already concerned about 25 minutes..

aprillilly
  • k9178 Pro 92 posts since
    Oct 14, 2009

Wet Sneakers - great job on your run.  I am also a bit anxious about the 25 minute run, but I am with you subborness will win out on that one.

Karen - congratulations on your 20 minute run.   I was thinking about you tonight and praying that your run would go great.  I am glad you posted at the end of your run.    I am so impressed that you felt as good at 20 minutes as you did at 1 minute.  I could definitely not say the same thing.  I just had to talk myself into finishing the 20 minute run.  Go team subborn!

Jess -  Thanks for the encouragement.  You are really doing great.  I feel a bit better knowing that you were really fit when you started.  I was completely a couch potato.  I could walk two miles comfortably, but I didn't put much effort into it, and my heart rate never was really raised.   Keep up the good work.  You are going to rock that 5k.

Fat Lady Running -  Definitely take a break from running.  Running every day is stressful on your body.  Run every other day, and you will feel a million times better.  Do some other form of exercise on the off days.  I did a yoga class tonight for the first time, and it was awesome.  My arms were hurting terribly from weight lifting on Saturday, and after yoga, they actually feel really good.  It helped stretch my hamstrings as well.  You may want to try riding a bike, swimming or just walking on your off days. 

I am so excited at how well everyone is doing.  It is so nice to hear how everyone is doing.  It really helps with the motivation since I am running by myself.  The great part is that I am really not running alone.  I am running with Jess, Libby, WetSneakers, Karen...and all the rest of my fellow runners.  We are actually runners!

I am doing a 5k walk on Sunday, and I am curious if I can run some of it.  It will be a great non-stress trial of the distance for a good cause (preemie babies and their families in San Diego).

Have a great week wherever you are in the program.  We are in the home stretch now!

Started C25K 10/1/09 C25K Graduate 12/12/09

I started out not being a runner, but now I can say I really enjoy it. I use the Jeff Galloway method.

Miraclebabies.org 5K 11/15/09 43:17

St. Patricks Day 10K 3/17/12 1:30:28

http://beachbodycoach.com/kwilli9178

• SMARIETTA Legend 302 posts since
    Oct 3, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    302. Nov 10, 2009 5:30 AM (in response to k9178)
    Re: Starting C25k tomorrow 9/29. Anyone want to Join?

well- not to complain TOO much- but problems with this site meant I couldn't post after my W6D1 run-which I found frustrating.

It seems postingt after EVERY run is how I hold myself accountable-and not posting felt like my work was incomplete!

gotta sayW6D1 suprisingly felt like a bit of a grins-especiallyu the first interval which I did slightly up tempo- I remembered my proper pace-and the second interval went much better- but still a bit of a push-what was
    DEFINTELY unpleasant-was W6D1 was really the first day I ran the whole workout on pavement-the day after was pretty unpleasant-as was the rest of W6D1

TODAY however was W6D2-and what a HUGE difference.

I ran it totally off pavement on grass,mulch and gravel trail-even some slight hills. I hadmy pace NAILEd-and at any time I could speed up,slow down,run the same-whatever- felt I had complete controll-after the first 10 minute run I actually had to frestrain myself to NOT keep running and to go ahead and take the 3 minute walk break-even though  need it-the second interval was even better than the first- again I felt in complete comand of EVERYTHING i was doing.

My pace was somewhat increaswed- but again I could vary it up or down at will.- I noticed my breathing was a bit elevated from where it normally was( probably cause I was running faster)- but I felt detached from my respiration rate and it didn't bother me at all.

I actully felt like I was RUNNING the whole time- not trudging or toughing it out- felt I had spring in my step.

I halve to head out now and my next 2 days of work are going to have a LOT of ladder climbing.

I will do W6D3 on thursday or Friday- depending on how much to days of continuos ladder climbing takes out of me.

Definitely looking forward to the first 25 minute run-which will DEFINITELY be off pavement.

those of you who are older-or heavier and are running on pavement- you won't believe what a difference running off pavement is- much more refreshing

Stephen

I absolutely did not

• disneygal2 Legend 455 posts since
    Sep 30, 2009

congratulations Stephen.  You are really ready for the intervals to be over.  I know what you mean about posting here  making your workout complete.  It is a way of marking it done!   We have a whole group of us here that are  finishing this together!  Yea us!    Running does feel much better on the trails than pavement.  Right now I do my running workouts on a paved path, but I love the way it feels when I do a little trail running on dirt  during hiking.   I don't climb ladders at work..but just being on my feet for 8 plus hours with lots of walking ect during work can make a workout tougher for me.

Today is a tennis day for me.   Debating weather to skip my 7 mile beach walk tonight so that I'll be fresher for my run tomorrow.  I think I have to make the running a priority for the next couple weeks. don't want anything strained or sore.

15 days till 5k~!    Can you tell I'm excited?   Nervous too though.. I've been sending reports to my son and daughter about my training so they are going to expect me to do well.  I shouldn't have told them I'm training! 

Jess

PRAISE GOD!!!

Couch to 5 K Graduation Day November 26, 2009

Dana Hills Turkey Trot  Thanksgiving Day 2009 5 K....  Time 32:22  MY FIRST 5k

Jan 9 Irvine 5k Time 32:52

Feb 7 Super Bowl 10k  1:08:31  MY FIRST 10K

September 5 2010  DISNEYLAND HALF MARATHON:  2:41:00

• Sdnoles1 Amateur 10 posts since
    Oct 26, 2008

Thanks for the tip!  I have found that the morning oatmeal or high fiber cereal and fruit works well for me.  I found last week that I did run well on reserves for my mid day run.  I had breakfast and then a snack ( yogurt and water ) about 2 hours before my run and then I had the protein shake afterwards.  Gettting ready for W5D2 tomorrow.  Have to try to get my run in between rain showers as we have rain bands from tropical storm Ida coming across my area.  50% chance of rain tomorrow but I will run anyway as long as there is no lightning or bad stuff.  Should be fine.  Great job to all who ran today and go go go to all who run tomorrow!  check in soon!  Good night:)

• catsrcul Pro 111 posts since
    Sep 12, 2009

Sdnoles,

Good job planning to run despite the rain.

I haven't run in rain yet. I don't know how that would work out for me.

I live in a tropical area so that day will come some day.

~Karen~

~Karen~

Galatians 6:9 And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.

5K 11/27/09          43:16  Pace 13:56

5K  1/9/10             41:55   Pace 13:30
    5K  3/20/10           38:56  Pace 12:32

Lost 16 lbs. since May 30, 2009. Don't want to ever find it again! Would like to lose 5 more pounds.

Started Couch 25K 9/11/09 Repeated many weeks due to asthma symptoms

Completed C25K 12/14/09

http://bumpoffalog.blogspot.com

• catsrcul Pro 111 posts since
    Sep 12, 2009

Funny. Today it started to drizzle while I was running. Ha ha. Only a couple of drops though.

Running wasn't easy today. I got to bed too late last night. I have had some stress. About a week ago I got attacked by some chiggers a,k.a no-seem-em bugs. For a whole week I've been having to take scalding hot baths for 20 minutes every 4-6 hours to get rid of the intense itching. The itching was so terrible I had to call in sick last weekend to work. I took Benadryl a couple of times but that made me so sleepy and only helped for about 3 hours. I think all of the itching and stress from nothing besides scalding hot water has caught up with me. I'm going to have to go to bed very early as much as I can to get rid of the stress. I have some tingling across my forehead and on one side of my face. It's definitely not Bell's Palsy or anything. I can tell it's just stress. It feels like the same thing as when my eye twitches once in a while but it's just my face.

Yesterday I spent all day catching up on laundry and alas we had a proper homecooked meal. I'm having less episodes of itching now so I was able to concentrate more on housework and homeschooling and all that jazz.

I might have two tablespoons of wine tonight. Maybe that will help me settle down. Don't laugh but if I have a glass of wine I have a terrible hangover the next day.

lol

~Karen~

~Karen~

Galatians 6:9 And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.

5K 11/27/09          43:16  Pace 13:56

5K  1/9/10             41:55   Pace 13:30
    5K  3/20/10           38:56  Pace 12:32

Lost 16 lbs. since May 30, 2009. Don't want to ever find it again! Would like to lose 5 more pounds.

Started Couch 25K 9/11/09 Repeated many weeks due to asthma symptoms

Completed C25K 12/14/09

http://bumpoffalog.blogspot.com

• drinkup Amateur 35 posts since
    Oct 6, 2009
    307. Nov 11, 2009 8:25 AM (in response to Tika417)

Karen, I read two tablespoons of wine and already started laughing, before i finished the sentence. Sorry to hear about the no see ums, they attacked my friends baby one night when he slept. A few years ago when I was pregnant I would wake in the middle of the night wonder why I kept getting bitten, this summer I caught the little bugs, they come in right from the screen. We sweated so much because I refused to keep the windows open while I slept lol.

Snodles Keep up the good work!!

I just finished w6d2! It went quite well, I can do 3/4 a mile in 10 minutes.. Not to shabby for me I started thinking I would run a mile, walk 3, run 10, but blah... when my mind is set its set... c25k program is really programmed into my head. Heres hoping for 25 minutes on friday

Ok off to do house work, hope you all are having a great day!!!

D

• LibbyColorado Expert 53 posts since
    Oct 1, 2009
    308. Nov 11, 2009 8:45 AM (in response to drinkup)

Completed W7D2 last night...plus some. We ran an extra two minutes just for kicks -- I wanted to hit the goal of making it back to the mailboxes. 1.7 miles. Not too shabby; we moved a bit faster than previous runs.

But my shin HURTS. Ugh. I need to ice it and do something with it. It's very frustrating. But I made it, that's what is important.

Hooray for those of you on Week 6! It's a challenge, but you can totally do it. Day three will NOT be your demise, I promise! Just keep moving.

I'm anxious about our Turkey Trot though. It's not a 5K, it's a four mile run. Ugh. Can we do that? We'll probably have to walk some of the way, right? That's okay. I think if I can run for thirty minutes, and then walk for three, and then finish, I'll be happy. I don't know. Maybe I will, maybe I won't. I'm trying not to discourage myself. Remember when I couldn't run for more than a minute? It's possible. Totally possible.

http://pinkandimperfect.blogspot.com

We're crazy and in love. Can we do these 101 things?

• PeeWeeHerman Amateur 21 posts since
    Oct 7, 2009
    309. Nov 11, 2009 10:10 AM (in response to Tika417)
    Oh Yeah! Who's the (Wo)Man?!!!

That'd be me!  Oh yeah!  Do the dance!  Yep Yup!  Can you say twenty two minutes straight?  That's 22.  Yep.  22 minutes of straight running.  Oh yeah.  I did it.  Uh huh! 

22/1/1/8 = for a total of 32 minutes of running.  I got my white Pee Wee boots on and I'm gonna have two tablespoons of TEQUILA!

Sep 30, 2009
    310. Nov 11, 2009 2:57 PM (in response to PeeWeeHerman)
    Re: Oh Yeah! Who's the (Wo)Man?!!!

Pee Wee... LOL.. 2 tablespoons of tequila!!    Congrats you did great!!   You rock, You roll,  You take Control!!   Way to go!

Libby,   congrats on your wk 7 day 2.   I will do mine tomorrow.  Was going to be today but I ended up having a marathon 3 set tennis league match.   So I will do it first thing tomorrow when my legs are fresher.    Now that we are running for a longer time we have to be careful not to injure during the transition to these longer runs.  Your poor shins!     About your race...  Of course you can do it.  Time is not important.. but I think in the next couple of weeks you'll be able to evaluate where your at and make a plan.   One way to do it would be to just do your 30 minute run and than walk the rest.  OR you could try for running 3 miles and walking one.   If you wanted to use Jeff Galloway's walking interval method you could do something like this.   Figure out how long it takes you to walk one mile.  If it were 20 minutes for example that would be 4 5 minute walks.   So you could figure out what your approximate 3 mile run time would be and insert 4  five   minute walks.   A lot of people say this method is terrific for your body and still gets you a good time that is a good measure of where you are at!!     You will do great.. but it may be more fun if you go into with a plan.  Especially if your shin is still sore though.. walking breaks in that 4 miles will probably be best.   There can be many more races after this.

Okay you guys.. the turkey trot is 2 WEEKS from tomorrow.. I'm excited and nervous.   I found a commercial for my race, LOL..   I've been watching it for motivation!   Go to www.turkeytrot.com and scroll down to u tube commercial!   That is what I'm running.

More later,                       Jess

PRAISE GOD!!!

Oct 14, 2009
    311. Nov 11, 2009 3:38 PM (in response to disneygal2)

Congratulations, PeeWee!  That is so great.  I am doing my W6D3 tonight.  I got behind over the weekend, I should be in Week 7 right now, but oh well, I continue onward.

Jess, I looked at the commercial.  I was thinking about running that Turkey Trot too.  I haven't decided if I am going to be in the OC for Thanksgiving or in San Diego.  I think maybe I am still a bit chicken to sign up just yet.

Kendra

I started out not being a runner, but now I can say I really enjoy it. I use the Jeff Galloway method.

Sep 30, 2009
    312. Nov 11, 2009 4:52 PM (in response to k9178)

Kendra,  Let me know if you decide to do it!    I looked at the times.. I will be doing the Masters 5k (40 and older) and the slowest time last year was 1 hour 23 minutes..so you know there are walkers.  The slowest time for under 40's was one hour 19 minutes!     You can see how you like it when you do the walking one this weekend.       Jess

PRAISE GOD!!!

• aprillilly Expert 53 posts since
    Oct 30, 2009
    313. Nov 11, 2009 6:54 PM (in response to Tika417)

W6 D2

I was surprised that an 8 minute run was difficult after the 20 minute run of W 5 D3. I cannot imagine doing 25 minutes in a row in a few days.

The Turkey 5k is in only 2 weeks and I will not have enough time to complete the 9 weeks. Is anyone doing a 5k without completing the program?

aprillilly
    Oct 14, 2009

I just did W6D3, and it was rough to say the least.  I went with a friend who is on week 3.  That was encouraging for me to see how far I have come when week 3 was a surpreme challenge, but the run was really rough.  I forgot to take my inhaler prior to leaving and I really felt it during and after the run when I had some asthma hit me.  My knee started hurting and it just felt like a major struggle.  I stopped several times (stopped my watch whenever I stopped).  I kept going and restarted my watch each time.  I shorted my run by a couple of minutes since my friend was done before I was, and we had to make an airport run.  I feel bad that I shorted my two minutes, and that my run wasn't constant, but I don't feel as worn out as I did after the 20 minute run and I actually ran the whole time (minus the 2 minutes).  The great part is that I get to do it again on Friday.  Total distance walking and running was 1.93miles, total pace 14:37/mile.  I ran one full mile at 14:10.  Not my best distance, nor a speed demon speed, but I will take it.  I am running more than I have ever in my life.  I am not sure that I will be ready for a turkey trot.  We shall see how the next couple of weeks go for me.

Kendra

1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 36 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...