Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3415 Views 21 Replies Latest reply: Nov 12, 2009 7:39 AM by shubhra RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • Turbokittykat Amateur 9 posts since
    Nov 5, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    16. Nov 11, 2009 1:57 PM (in response to RHIT CCS-P)
    Re: bad runs?

I am so grateful to have found Active.com and this message board because except for a couple people I see irregularly, nobody understands the aches and complaints coupled with the highs. I got back out on the road today after Sunday's dismal mile run (and except for forgetting to put the anti-chafing creme on my inner thighs resulting in some nasty welts) had an EXCELLENT 5K today! Ran it in 33 min!!! So, thanks for all the encouragement to keep at it. Now I have a "pearl of my own" as some say, I now know that the bad runs will come and go. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. A neighbor called today and when I said I was going to be heading out toward her place she said, "So you're the one running all the time?" I said I'm trying to, and she said, "You look good, you are like a 'real' runner!" If I could've kissed through the phone, she would've gotten a wet one!!!!

Upcoming events:

Chicago's 8K Shamrock Shuffle 21 March 2010

Illinois 1/2 Marathon 1 May 2010

DeWitt's Paul Skeffington Memorial 5 mile 19 June 2010

Quad Cities 1/2 Marathon 26 September 2010

Chicago Marathon 10 October 2010

• Rizzo6805 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 12, 2007
    17. Nov 11, 2009 3:37 PM (in response to goso)

I just finished my 3rd marathon and I have bad/hard runs all the time. I have never been able to figure it out. Things I've noticed but its not always the case - Is that bad runs happen when I take to much time off in between runs and also after a long hard training run (over 16 miles). I tend to feel better the more I run. My new motto is "run through it".

• wvrunnergirl Amateur 7 posts since
    Nov 9, 2009
    18. Nov 11, 2009 4:44 PM (in response to Rizzo6805)

What a relief it was to read all of this! Even though these are all things you are told, that you tell yourself, it's so reassuring to hear them from other runners. I have good days and bad days for sure. On Sunday I did a 5 mile run and I struggled through the whole second half of it. I laughed so hard when I read turbokittykat's comment about cutting her legs off and beating herself with them. I know exactly what that feeling feels like. It was a beautiful day. I was out early, alone and looking forward to a wonderful run. My body wasn't feeling it. Today, however, in the drizzling, cold (mid-40s) rain, I ran a comfortable, reassuring 5 miles. And I was so tickled to see someone else comtemplating actually being a runner. My best friend and I joke about that all the time. People will refer to us as runners or whatever and we laugh. We jokingly tell them it depends on their definition of a runner. I run, though; therefore I am a runner. And I remind myself frequently of a saying I once saw, that some of us actually had printed on a shirt......Last place finish is greater than dead last finish which greatly trumps did not start!

• jcrule Amateur 228 posts since
    Jan 9, 2001
    19. Nov 11, 2009 7:37 PM (in response to wvrunnergirl)

I think Mike gave excellent advice.  Although my longest run to date is only 5 miles and I'm restarting the C25K program (2 time graduate) next week, there are those bad runs.  Rest time in invaluable and read up on increasing your milage.  Maybe two 3 mile runs and then a SLOW 4 mile run or 4.5 mile run would work better.  Those long runs are where you really build that endurance of the muscle.  I love the slow long run.  So slow you think you are almost walking, at least for me, hehe.

Good luck.

Jill

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Upcoming Races:

~ Love'em or Leave'em Valentine's Day Dash 5K - 2/13/10 (32:50)

~ Some local St. Patty's Day 5K, gotta register for one - 3/13/10

~ Birch Bay Road Race 5K - 3/27/10

~ Need to register for a 10K before June

~ Seattle Rock 'n' Roll Half!!!!!  6/26/2010

~ Danskin Triathlon (Sprint) - 8/15/10

• solarflare Amateur 22 posts since
    Oct 29, 2009
    20. Nov 12, 2009 6:41 AM (in response to Ams86)

My more difficult runs tend to be a result of not enough rest between runs or poor diet choices the day before (or the day of) the run.

Usually, on those days, I just reduce my speed and plod through the run until it's finished.

• shubhra Rookie 6 posts since
    Jul 10, 2009
    21. Nov 12, 2009 7:39 AM (in response to goso)

There’s nothing like peer pressure or the presence of a proper coach to bring out the best in you. There are running clubs all around the country from serious athletics clubs to those designed to help people get fit for the first time. Hydrate with water if your run is less than 15 miles. Use a sports drink if it’s longer. Take on fluid every 15 minutes of exercise. Base your meals around carbs such as pasta, rice and potatoes. You should aim to eat about 70 per cent carbs, 15 per cent protein and 15 per cent fat. ‘During any physical activity you use a crucial fuel called glycogen, which comes from carbohydrates. You need to make sure you’re eating sufficient amounts.

[url= http://travel.justluxe.com/]Luxury green travel[/url]

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points